• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
fairly sure Evilore is pretty anti-clique

I don't think there's a Euro-GAF or a UK-Gaf or a French-GAF or a US-Gaf or a Japan-GAF?

Fredescu

There were EuroGAF bargain and trade threads, but I guess I haven't seen those in a while. There are weekly PAL Sales threads which end up as EuroGAF threads in a way. JapanGAF threads happen when people play a game that gets released in Japan first, which happens sort of often.

Bernbaum

I think the option most likely to get past Evilore would be to expunge AusGAF of gaming content And move it to OT, where it can live alongside GayGAF, NegroGAF, TransGAF etc...

Gaming-related local news could (and probably should) just be given individual threads carrying the 'AusGAF' moniker. Major news has been given their own threads anyway. Only problem is bragging over bargain hunting.

rass

hooray for alarm going off at it's designated time this morning!

applying for Uni is expensive :/
Just spent $40 on prints for an application folio, if I get an interview then I'm looking at another $150-$200 :(

I just realised that when I see it in writing, it doesn't seem that expensive. Carry on.

on-off-topic - I don't care where Ausgaf is, I only get to it through userCP anyway

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What fred said :D . Although we have had this conversation about 400 times by now. And you are in steam chat from time to time Agyar, same with Mar. So it can't be all bad :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wait, wtf, DR2 has a Steam version for $40? I thought it was 360 exclusive this whole time. Wow, I'm an idiot. I thought it was weird earlier when someone was talking about it like it was a PC title.

Will buy in the nearish future.

Mar

Agyar said:
I would not have said the experience was overwhelming. I wasn't getting stuck trying to do everything, I took my time doing things and restarted once to complete the story missions in time so I think I got a good feel for how you're "meant" to do business in the game. After spending a few hours with it, completing the "story" missions as well as some other missions (survivors etc), building some weapons and generally stuffing about I think I just don't get it. Putting a drill bucket on a zombie is funny but I don't know if I want to do that for hour after hour.

I never played the first Dead Rising either.

Sounds more like to me that you thought Dead Rising was something that it isn't. Lots of fanfare has been made of putting a drill bucket on a zombies head, yet I don't see the point personally. It's neither funny nor useful, as like many of the combo weapons or items in Dead Rising games have little practical use.

So, perhaps, you didn't click with it because you thought building comical weapons and mass murdering zombies was the part you were supposed to enjoy? Like George A Romero's zombie films, Dead Rising is about the people and their prejudices and ways of dealing with a bad situation. His films are more a commentary on society and always have something to say about a particular time. Dead Rising is not as deep as George A Romero's films, but it borrows almost all of the ideas. In the full Dead Rising 2 game you'd see this (as opposed to Case Zero which had none), with rednecks running wild killing all using the zombie apocalypse as an excuse, to a game show built on the ideas of slaughtering the undead yet never really convincing anyone that the undead is really what we'd like to be lining up and shooting.

During my 6 hours or so romp in the online multiplayer game show mode, I started thinking about this in between fits of laughter with my friends. I think Blue Castle did a really good job of making something that on the surface can be consumed passively, but underneath it's actually really creepy. Let's not kid ourselves here, if TV could get away with having some minority group thrown into an arena and get brutally murdered by game show participants with chainsaws, it would be the highest rating show in history.

My point is, it's a fun game but it's not just having a laugh seeing an arm fly off (although that can be fun), there's actually a fair bit to think about too. And, if you're like me (enjoy being given a bunch of goals and then trying to work out the best way to path out the solution) it's a damn good game too. I had to force myself to stop playing last night at 12:30am, and that almost never happens.

Gazunta said:
2010-10-04-Videogame-06.gif

This is great. Multi-talented Gazunta is multi-talented.

Agyar said:
Steam chat is crappy.

It's kind of cool. Though, when there's a lot of people in there (15 or so talking dudes) it's basically unusable. Having no way to track people directing a sentence at you usually means most content is lost to the backbuffer. It also runs like ass.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mar said:
It's kind of cool. Though, when there's a lot of people in there (15 or so talking dudes) it's basically unusable. Having no way to track people directing a sentence at you usually means most content is lost to the backbuffer. It also runs like ass.

Stop using a macbook air :D

Rez, Yea it's on PC. Has been day 1 and on steam for that price. Rid and Kritz play co-op from time to time so that works over gfwl.

Danoss

evlcookie said:
Cataclysm out on dec 7th. Who is throwing their life away for it?!

Already pre-ordered the collector's edition, before the allocations ran out. Yes, I know its sad; no, I won't stop.

hamchan

Bernbaum said:
I think the option most likely to get past Evilore would be to expunge AusGAF of gaming content And move it to OT, where it can live alongside GayGAF, NegroGAF, TransGAF etc...

Gaming-related local news could (and probably should) just be given individual threads carrying the 'AusGAF' moniker. Major news has been given their own threads anyway. Only problem is bragging over bargain hunting.

I don't think gaming discussion can be removed from an AusGAF community thread. I do agree a new thread should be made for big Aussie gaming news, like Krome losing 100 employees, however most of our news is pretty minor compared to the rest of the world, I don't think it warrants a new thread. So I think an OT topic should still be made but gaming discussion should be allowed in that thread. It'll be a unique situation but it's better than the one we're currently in.

I just want to see this community grow and I think the online forum is a bad place for it. If AusGAF were in Online from the start I would never have noticed its existence and would have never started posting here.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Danoss said:
Already pre-ordered the collector's edition, before the allocations ran out. Yes, I know its sad; no, I won't stop.

I was tempted as well since it's WoW, Something i've played on and off for 4 or so years now. But i never got around to it. So if i do decide to check it out, I might get the standard edition which is sort of sad since i've never had a CE of a WoW expansion. Would be nice to have one :lol

You going to reroll and start fresh or going to continue with all the guys you know in game?

Fredescu

There was a discussion a little while back about browsers in SoEs. Those people might find this article interesting. http://www.zdnet.com.au/ie-top-trumps-in-business-browser-battle-339306325.htm

Some quotes:

"In June this year, one of Australia's largest departments, Defence, confirmed it would upgrade its 90,000 desktop PCs from version 6 to version 7 of Internet Explorer, almost four years after the software was first released."

"It was only February this year that the Commonwealth Bank of Australia told staff that it would shortly be upgrading to IE7. The key factor holding the bank back over the past four years? The need to test a plethora of applications for compatibility with the new version before the roll-out took place."

markot

Banned
hamchan said:
I'm planning to start WoW again too. Just need to recover my account from Blizzard and level up my dude though.
Wait for cata to lvl up, unless you are like 60+ and need to do outland and crap >.<, the new content and redone classic zones are great.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I joked about an ausgiraffe WoW guild when cataclysm launches. I doubt it will happen though :lol

Mar you should sell your macbook air on ebay, get more money than a trade-in.

Mar

evlcookie said:
I joked about an ausgiraffe WoW guild when cataclysm launches. I doubt it will happen though :lol

Mar you should sell your macbook air on ebay, get more money than a trade-in.

Yeah, though going through all that pain may be more hassle than it's worth.

On the cataclysm subject. I was actually interested in looking around the world a while ago, but not anymore. Even then my interest was only 'if I can get a free trial account and have a look'.

Last time I had a trial account, the 10 days was eaten up by trying to get Blizzard support to fix my character. It's stuck somewhere within the world, and I get kicked off the server as soon as I log in every time. I got 3 emails back saying "we have fixed your character by moving it somewhere", yet it was always still broken.

Those 10 days were indeed a trial LOLS seewhatididthere.

hamchan

markot said:
Wait for cata to lvl up, unless you are like 60+ and need to do outland and crap >.<, the new content and redone classic zones are great.

Yeah I'm level 64, was doing Burning Crusade content when it came out but stopped for some reason I forget. I was in that giant mushroom place last I played.

Agyar

Fredescu said:
There was a discussion a little while back about browsers in SoEs. Those people might find this article interesting. http://www.zdnet.com.au/ie-top-trumps-in-business-browser-battle-339306325.htm

Some quotes:

"In June this year, one of Australia's largest departments, Defence, confirmed it would upgrade its 90,000 desktop PCs from version 6 to version 7 of Internet Explorer, almost four years after the software was first released."

"It was only February this year that the Commonwealth Bank of Australia told staff that it would shortly be upgrading to IE7. The key factor holding the bank back over the past four years? The need to test a plethora of applications for compatibility with the new version before the roll-out took place."

This basically mirrors what Mar and I were saying. As far as browsers go, we have install options for IE7 and IE8 but IE6 is the SOE standard due to a number of business critical applications (such as a large investment data processing application) that don't work with the newer versions. It's the application testing mentioned in the article that makes things like wanting to roll out Windows 7 a massive undertaking. One of the biggest limiting factors is that many applications used in large corporations are not the most recent release, once again due to the scale of testing required (and often additional costs due to licensing, deployment and maintenance, not to mention training and the associated loss of productivity).

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mar, There's meant to be an unstuck button now in cataclysm, so hopefully you will never get stuck :D

The boss said you would probably get more from ebay than trade in, which is why i mentioned it. I have no idea what the ebay prices are though. Might be good to keep it as a backup if you decide to upgrade to a macbook/pro.

Choc

Banned
Turnbull says $65 a month will keep most off broadband

CLANCY YEATES | The ''extraordinary'' cost of accessing the national broadband network will limit the number of people who choose to use it, the opposition spokesman on communications, Malcolm Turnbull, has warned.

Time to shutup before you look as dumb as conroy Malcom

Mar

Choc said:
Turnbull says $65 a month will keep most off broadband

CLANCY YEATES | The ''extraordinary'' cost of accessing the national broadband network will limit the number of people who choose to use it, the opposition spokesman on communications, Malcolm Turnbull, has warned.

Time to shutup before you look as dumb as conroy Malcom

I don't know. I think he's on point there. I work in a reasonable paying job and can afford that, but a lot of people don't.

Also, any news on Fifa?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Broadband right now is pretty much at that figure. There's no real reason to think it isn't sustainable.

Ports on the NBN are meant to be cheaper than current telstra prices, say around $25 or so. I'm sure every isp will have a $40 10/20gb plan for the standard user once the nbn is actually up and running in good form.

Edit: Oh no. My Christian friend does believe something will probably happen at the end of 2012, that there has been an increase in earthquakes and all that jazz. I didn't realise she was *that* sort of person when it came to it all. Figured she just got into the bible and god after being away from it for a few years. Learn something new about people everyday i guess :lol

legend166

evlcookie said:
Broadband right now is pretty much at that figure. There's no real reason to think it isn't sustainable.

Ports on the NBN are meant to be cheaper than current telstra prices, say around $25 or so. I'm sure every isp will have a $40 10/20gb plan for the standard user once the nbn is actually up and running in good form.

Edit: Oh no. My Christian friend does believe something will probably happen at the end of 2012, that there has been an increase in earthquakes and all that jazz. I didn't realise she was *that* sort of person when it came to it all. Figured she just got into the bible and god after being away from it for a few years. Learn something new about people everyday i guess :lol

Christianity has nothing to do with 2012 so your friend is being dumb.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
legend166 said:
Christianity has nothing to do with 2012 so your friend is being dumb.

Well true. I just threw in there she was a christian. And she says it's been predicted in the bible and all that. Some shit like that. I was just shocked he believed it :D

legend166

evlcookie said:
Well true. I just threw in there she was a christian. And she says it's been predicted in the bible and all that. Some shit like that. I was just shocked he believed it :D

Is s/he (you changed halfway through the post :lol ) using some of the ridiculous 'secret code' stuff where people say dumb things like "If you take the 3rd letter from each paragraph, multiply their numerical value by 12 and then subtract 12, you get 2012!!1111!!!!11"?

Cause there's nothing in the Bible about 2012 :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I don't even remember the conversation anymore. It was just a woah what, then she went for a shower and that was it :lol

I feel the need to finish lara croft soon. Although i think that might be done over the weekend. Has there been any indication as to when the PC version will get the co-op patch? Could be fun.

markot

Banned
BOOK OF REVELATIONS 20:12

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Check Mate Legend!

rass

markot said:
BOOK OF REVELATIONS 20:12

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Check Mate Legend!
the bible sounds confusing

Mar

legend166 said:
Speaking of moving is to OT, I sent a private message to evilore but he never replied because he's on holidays.

I've never received a reply from evilore about anything, regardless his status.

Rezbit

Gazunta said:
So during lunch I bought a second hand PC. I didn't really think this through. NOW I HAVE NO EXCUSE NOT TO PLAY CIV V

What do you mean a second hand PC? Like, is it modern? How does one go about getting a second hand PC?

jambo

I bought a Panasonic plasma from JB's last week, can't remember if I told AusGAF or not.

Also I was uber busy on the weekend and never did the F1 2010 qualy =[

Agyar

jambo said:
I bought a Panasonic plasma from JB's last week, can't remember if I told AusGAF or not.

Also I was uber busy on the weekend and never did the F1 2010 qualy =[

Which one? I have been coveting a Panny Plasma for a while now, and the VT20 series seems to be the best HDTV on the market today. The V20 that I actually want to buy is essentially the same model without the 3D capabilities. All the 2009 series black level issues resolved, even better daylight viewing and blacks tickling those of the G9 Kuros with even better image quality. So good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom