• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Agyar said:
54" would be too big for my lounge but the prices the V20s are going for right now are unbelievable. Less than $2k for the best non-3D HDTV on the market is crazy.

Congratulations on your most excellent choice.
I do believe it is time for my 42"PanPlasma to move to the bedroom, and for the living room to get a new screen. I hadn't been keeping up with prices, but as you say, they are great.

Bernbaum

Mar said:
CRT Ausgaf unite.
If there was any good cause for AusGAF to band together for, it would be to raise funds for a nice little LCD TV for Mar.

Fuck starving kids and fuck cancer research.

Axiom

I picked up the 50 inch non 3D Panny plasma too...then couldn't fit it in the car so now waiting until Thursday for delivery.

Evil cousin is in hospital, karma. I'm not that guy but so pushed beyond giving a crap.

Played WoW to death for 5 years but it was mainly the community of the guild that kept me playing, used to have a ton of Aussies and insomniac yanks but they all moved on over time due to drama and the fact they opened Oceanic servers.

Signing on was like going to Cheers, bad place to hang out but great people. Without that and the inability to raid at a reasonable hour WoW stopped being fun.

Always get cravings every few months though.

Danoss

evlcookie said:
You going to reroll and start fresh or going to continue with all the guys you know in game?
I'll start off levelling up 1 or 2 of my 80's (about to ding 80 on my mage, making that 4 (yes, I know)), then I'll move on to starting a new character to check out the redone zones. When I move on to a new alt will depend on how fast the rest of the guild levels and progresses to the new heroics and raids.

I'm glad that 10 and 25 man raids are now a shared lockout, so that means raid time is cut in half and more time to work on an alt or play something else.

Deeku

Bernbaum said:
If there was any good cause for AusGAF to band together for, it would be to raise funds for a nice little LCD TV for Mar.

I could get behind this.

Shaneus

Agyar said:
54" would be too big for my lounge but the prices the V20s are going for right now are unbelievable. Less than $2k for the best non-3D HDTV on the market is crazy.

Congratulations on your most excellent choice.
Shit, that does look like an awesome TV. Would gladly ditch my 42" LCD from Aldi in a flash :lol

Sew

LEAVE CRTs ALONE

I was pretty late adopting HD (and I sure don't regret it) but my god it's a treadmill. Nicer TV needs nicer content, because your average SD content looks crappy. So you're forking out for Blurays, upgrading media center & amp, slaying your quota, etc etc. If you're still using a CRT, hold out for as long as you can because the cost of the TV is just the tip of the fuckin' iceberg. :lol

And when you do upgrade, keep the CRT in a spare room for older consoles and Wii.

Speaking of treadmills, looks like I'm heading to JB to see what's up. I knew I should have gone bigger in the first place. See what happens? See?!

Mar

jambo said:
Only if you have one of those Sony 24" CRT beasts

Yes!

Dead Man said:
I think you just did. Time to get with the new programme. :D

I can't be the last of my kind... Am I the last?

Bernbaum said:

Hah. Well, I'm not doing it for any monetary reasons. I'm still using this TV because it still works just fine. There's so much wasted technology these days where everyone has to own the next best thing, regardless if there's a purpose for it or not. I don't know, I've just sort of rebelled against the corporate marketing machine in many areas (games are an exception). I mean, are you all going to upgrade those giant LCD / Plasma displays to 3D? For any other reason than having another bullet point on your wall mounted device?

I've become sad lately how people are judged by what they buy, not what they create. Not that it's ever been any different. But just because.

Zaro said:
My tv doesn't even have a remote.

Fuck yeah! Me and you man, vs the world.

hirokazu

Mar said:
I mean, are you all going to upgrade those giant LCD / Plasma displays to 3D? For any other reason than having another bullet point on your wall mounted device?
No, that's a waste of money. ;)

Does your CRT do HD? If it does, I can see why you don't care to upgrade, but otherwise, HD is a pretty big reason to upgrade, man.

Sew

There is a certain model Sony 32" widescreen CRT that does 1080i and is hugely popular with AV anoraks. I took part in a few bidding wars on ebay before giving up and going to JB. If you've got a good CRT (and four people to carry it) there's certainly no reason to upgrade. They still do some things better than any flat panel.

Fredescu

Mar said:
I'm still using this TV because it still works just fine. There's so much wasted technology these days where everyone has to own the next best thing, regardless if there's a purpose for it or not.
Yeah, this stuff bothers me a bit too. Not because I worry about being judged or think I'm getting tricked by some corporate machine. It just bothers me that gadgets that were useful three years ago are useless now. Surely that can only go on for so long, even if it isn't an issue until a long time after I'm gone.

Shaneus

Sew said:
There is a certain model Sony 32" widescreen CRT that does 1080i and is hugely popular with AV anoraks. I took part in a few bidding wars on ebay before giving up and going to JB. If you've got a good CRT (and four people to carry it) there's certainly no reason to upgrade. They still do some things better than any flat panel.
I once tossed up between buying that same Sony TV and the Panasonic equivalent. I went with the Panasonic, which didn't fucking support 720p/1080i at 60Hz. I was fucking ropable when I picked up my component cable for the Xbox and couldn't use it past 480p. So pissed.

Dead Man

Mar said:
I can't be the last of my kind... Am I the last?

Hah. Well, I'm not doing it for any monetary reasons. I'm still using this TV because it still works just fine. There's so much wasted technology these days where everyone has to own the next best thing, regardless if there's a purpose for it or not. I don't know, I've just sort of rebelled against the corporate marketing machine in many areas (games are an exception). I mean, are you all going to upgrade those giant LCD / Plasma displays to 3D? For any other reason than having another bullet point on your wall mounted device?

I've become sad lately how people are judged by what they buy, not what they create. Not that it's ever been any different. But just because.
No, I don't think you are the last of your kind, and long may you linger. I only bought a new TV because I bought a new house, and the old TV was ridiculously small in the new huge living room. The old CRT went in the bedroom, but it is dying now (V hold is busted, volume control is busted) so it's time for a new living room TV so I can have a new/old bedroom tv. I have become spoiled by watching movies in bed. :lol

Mar

hirokazu said:
No, that's a waste of money. ;)

Does your CRT do HD? If it does, I can see why you don't care to upgrade, but otherwise, HD is a pretty big reason to upgrade, man.

It does 480P, which is just enough for the Xbox 360. I'm not questioning the image quality or how much better it looks. I see games running on friends TVs and my mind is blown. But I just personally don't hold that in as high a regard as some do. Where some people get all hot and bothered by graphics and frame rates, I couldn't care less as long as the game is good and playable.

Everything we own is over 10 years old. Our fridge leaks and makes funny noises, we've repaired our washing machine 3 times, all our furniture is bits and bobs from families and friends, and we live in a shitty house with no air conditioning or insulation. The weird thing is we both have pretty good paying jobs so you'd think we'd be rolling in cash... I blame video games and beer.

Dead Man said:
No, I don't think you are the last of your kind, and long may you linger. I only bought a new TV because I bought a new house, and the old TV was ridiculously small in the new huge living room. The old CRT went in the bedroom, but it is dying now (V hold is busted, volume control is busted) so it's time for a new living room TV so I can have a new/old bedroom tv. I have become spoiled by watching movies in bed. :lol

This will most likely be our upgrade point too. When we finally move into something nicer, we will have to upgrade some stuff because some of it is literally falling apart. The washing machine won't last much longer... Or it will take us out with it.

jambo

This is the only CRT I would ever buy

Hq2gz.jpg

Sony 22.5" Trinitron
2304x1440

Godlike!

Mar

Bernbaum said:
Let's go to Mar's and watch Titanic in SD
:lol :lol :lol

Oh wow, I totally own that movie. I've forgotten how we even ended up with some of those. I know a bunch in that stack have never been seen, and they came with our DVD player (Deep Impact, Mouse Trap, etc).

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Mar said:
Oh wow, I totally own that movie. I've forgotten how we even ended up with some of those. I know a bunch in that stack have never been seen, and they came with our DVD player (Deep Impact, Mouse Trap, etc).

Kate Winslet's tits.

Gazunta

Mar, I was right with you in the CRT defense force until I played Burnout Paradise. That game's effective gameplay area is the gap between the top of your car's roof and the horizon directly above it - which on a 480p CRT is a matter of what, 20 pixels? I love my low-def graphics but sheesh, that game was literally unplayable in SD. Hey more power to you though.

Mar

Gazunta said:
Mar, I was right with you in the CRT defense force until I played Burnout Paradise. That game's effective gameplay area is the gap between the top of your car's roof and the horizon directly above it - which on a 480p CRT is a matter of what, 20 pixels? I love my low-def graphics but sheesh, that game was literally unplayable in SD. Hey more power to you though.

bpsrank.png

Although I totally sympathise. If there's ever a game too fast for a CRT, it's Burnout Paradise. I remember it took a long while to get used to how fast everything flies by in that game.

Bernbaum

In my current theme of being unnecessarily unkind to Mar and being a general douche, I predict that by this time next year, he will be able to purchase a Kinect peripheral for each copy of Mirror's Edge he owns for less than what he spent on them and use them as turrets on his fortress.

I really wanted to like Kinect, but it's just starting to sound completely fucking terrible.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
buying new hardware before there's anything for it that is worth a damn always seems so pointless to me.

I never get hyped about gadgets alone, I get hyped about products. Console launches and stuff like this are totally lost on me.

hirokazu

Mar said:
It does 480P, which is just enough for the Xbox 360. I'm not questioning the image quality or how much better it looks. I see games running on friends TVs and my mind is blown. But I just personally don't hold that in as high a regard as some do. Where some people get all hot and bothered by graphics and frame rates, I couldn't care less as long as the game is good and playable.

Everything we own is over 10 years old. Our fridge leaks and makes funny noises, we've repaired our washing machine 3 times, all our furniture is bits and bobs from families and friends, and we live in a shitty house with no air conditioning or insulation. The weird thing is we both have pretty good paying jobs so you'd think we'd be rolling in cash... I blame video games and beer.
I'm one of those people you hate who love the latest gadgets and technology, but that doesn't extend to white goods though. I could use those for forever provided they don't break down. Even so, I don't usually don't upgrade until there's an absolute need or an opportunity strikes itself.

Luckily with TVs and stuff, my parents don't care about any fancy HD or what, so when the good old CRT breaks down, then they'll want the next thing that works, and therein lies the opportunity to upgrade to new stuff, LOL.

hirokazu

Rez said:
buying new hardware before there's anything for it that is worth a damn always seems so pointless to me.

I never get hyped about gadgets alone, I get hyped about products. Console launches and stuff like this are totally lost on me.
I got hyped on Nintendo stuff and ended up buying most them at launch (excluding redesigns). I bought GBA, GC and Wii at launch. :(

But I've become pretty apathetic to Nintendo hardware now.

Mar

Bernbaum said:
be able to purchase a Kinect peripheral for each copy of Mirror's Edge he owns for less than what he spent on them

I've read this sentence 10 times now, and I'm not sure if it's because it's 12:40am and having only had 3 hours sleep the night before, but I have no idea what that means.

But I understand your point, and agree with you. Kinect is going to bomb.

rass

Gazunta said:
The game that ruined SD (and my wallet) for me was GTA4, I got so frustrated during it trying to read text messages that I bought a plasma :/

SELF CONTROL!

Ydahs

Are CRTs those TVs that weigh a ton? If so, their 480p output is the best I've seen :lol

A shame my Wii's component cables don't work on it :|

Also, FFXIII manages to look worse in SD than FFXII...

Shaneus

Mar said:
I've read this sentence 10 times now, and I'm not sure if it's because it's 12:40am and having only had 3 hours sleep the night before, but I have no idea what that means.

But I understand your point, and agree with you. Kinect is going to bomb.
I just worked it out! You have many copies of Mirror's Edge that you picked up fairly cheaply... you should be able to buy just as many Kinects for the same price or less in 12 months time.

I've just had my Pepsi Max and the caffeine makes me feel like I can answer anything :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn i think i have the itch to get back into WoW when cataclysm hits. Although in my mind it's very very casual play, nothing like i used to do when i would spend all my spare time in the game. Maybe a hand full of hours every week as i level up a character.

This could be a very very bad idea :lol

rass

evlcookie said:
Damn i think i have the itch to get back into WoW when cataclysm hits. Although in my mind it's very very casual play, nothing like i used to do when i would spend all my spare time in the game. Maybe a hand full of hours every morning and then the same each night as i level up a character.

This could be a very very bad idea :lol
fixed.

I am staying well clear of MMORPGs, I have what could be described as 'an addictive personality' and want to not further ruin my life haha.

Choc said:
has anyone picked up enslaved which is apparently in stores now?!

I'm seriously tempted. I loved the demo, and Heavenly Sword was one of my fave games when it came out (with the exception of the final boss fight which was rubbish.)

So it is in stores now? I might have to grab it in my lunch break...

teekun

trinest said:
:lol

The Wii looks pretty gross squashed like that.

Yeah I'm trying to figure that out. Is it configured to 16:9 or something? When I first got my Wii I was using a 4:3 CRT and I don't remember it ever looking all warped like that.

Agyar

Choc said:
has anyone picked up enslaved which is apparently in stores now?!

I have been hovering over the Buy button on 365games all week, I really enjoyed the demo but I have too many other things to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom