• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sew

Also, look at call rates to determine how much $450 actually is.

ie. If calls cost $50 per minute then $450 isn't much. Extremely silly example of course.

Cohsae

Fredescu said:
One thing to make note of is the "$450 worth of calls" often includes a huge chunk of same network calls. Meaning, your $450 could be made up of, for example, $250 worth of calls to Optus and $200 worth of calls to everywhere else. Read the fine print on that if it's likely to bother you.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it does work out like that to some extent, but my parents and most of my friends are on Optus so it's not much of an issue.
Thanks for the advice fellow AusGAFfers, I'm going to pull the trigger.
Mostly because the Galaxy S is fairly sexy.

Bernbaum

Finished Halo Reach and just read Brad Shoemaker's review for Enslaved, so I'm real keen to jump into that. Will get it for $89 from JB, couldn't be arsed trying to track it down for cheaper.

I completely ignore any number-based review system. I'll tolerate stars, but only just.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
five stars, with no halves, is about as granular as I can tolerate a rating system.

The more I hear about Enslaved the more interested I am.

Bernbaum

I haven't done this in a while, but holey moley:

dmb72x.jpg

Axiom

Got my Panny TV today...are the blacks on a plasma supposed to be fuzzy the closer you are?

Calibrating this thing has been a pain

Edit: holy crap at the AUD

Agyar

Axiom said:
Got my Panny TV today...are the blacks on a plasma supposed to be fuzzy the closer you are?

Calibrating this thing has been a pain

Edit: holy crap at the AUD

You need a DVE HD Essentials disc. You should also check out what these guys have to say about the set and its calibration. This is also worth checking out if you want to calibrate sources that aren't a Blu-ray player.

I don't have time right now but I can shoot you a PM later with some more detail about calibrating HDTVs.

Agyar

Rez said:
five stars, with no halves, is about as granular as I can tolerate a rating system.

The more I hear about Enslaved the more interested I am.

I can deal with 5-star systems. If I had my way, we'd use a 3-star system, with many games being awarded no stars. This is essentially how a 5-star system ends up being used anyway, because 1 or 2 star games are usually unrecommendable.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Listening to the gamecrux podcast.
Enjoyable if not a litle contriversal so far.

p.s. Aon is so well spoken.

Axiom

Agyar said:
You need a DVE HD Essentials disc. You should also check out what these guys have to say about the set and its calibration. This is also worth checking out if you want to calibrate sources that aren't a Blu-ray player.

I don't have time right now but I can shoot you a PM later with some more detail about calibrating HDTVs.

Thanks muchly, would appreciate it. Just never seen this 'fuzz' on blacks before, but I've been using an LCD for years so I'm not sure if it's normal, a product of it needing to 'warm up' over that 100 hours I was told about or the damn thing needs replacing. Also the digital audio cable they sold me doesn't fit into the TV and the receiver at the same time.
This ain't my week.

Picked up Enslaved from JB, getting home I discovered the soundtrack case was broken and there was no promo code for 'classic' Monkey anywhere to be found. mini-comic is actually quite lengthy though (though the instruction manual only has 5 pages)

I'm so bummed at not having 'classic' Monkey! It was my primary motivation to pre-order!

Mar

Syth_Blade22 said:
Listening to the gamecrux podcast.
Enjoyable if not a litle contriversal so far.

p.s. Aon is so well spoken.

Thanks for the feedback. And yeah, controversial topic. We were chatting about a number of things, then Aon launched into the intro and HEY GUYS RACISM IN GAMES. I don't think any of us actually planned for that to happen. But that's just how we are. Quick off the draw and making shit up on the fly!*

We have no idea what we are doing

Also, we're recording another this weekend.

Agyar

My new headphones arrived today. Audio Technica ATH-AD700s. Sound is really good, super comfortable as well. Really well balanced sound across the full range and the sound stage is seems really good, looking forward to giving them a whirl in a game. The bass is tight and blended really well, which will be good for games too.

Mar

Agyar said:
My new headphones arrived today. Audio Technica ATH-AD700s. Sound is really good, super comfortable as well. Really well balanced sound across the full range and the sound stage is seems really good, looking forward to giving them a whirl in a game. The bass is tight and blended really well, which will be good for games too.

Surround? I love my surround headphones. Best peripheral I've ever bought for a console. Great for watching movies in silence too.

hamchan

Agyar said:

*Hi-Five*

Received my pair earlier in the week. Really great headphones.

Agyar

Mar said:
Surround? I love my surround headphones. Best peripheral I've ever bought for a console. Great for watching movies in silence too.

No, they're stereo. I'm not really impressed by "surround sound" headphones. Jamming a bunch of extra drivers into a set of headphones will never really replicate the sound stage of a 5.1 system and I'd rather just have two high-quality, well-tuned drivers.

Ydahs

Betting agency Sportsbet has cut its odds for the Australian dollar reaching parity with its US counterpart by the end of the year after the local currency broke another two-year high.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au...-parity-pd20101007-9Z5FX?OpenDocument&src=hp2

There's betting on just about anything. It's disgusting just how much it is ingrained in our society. What's worse is that it's being promoted on shows such as The Footy Show, which has a strong teen/young adult audience.

Can't see it changing anytime soon.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Mar said:
Thanks for the feedback. And yeah, controversial topic. We were chatting about a number of things, then Aon launched into the intro and HEY GUYS RACISM IN GAMES. I don't think any of us actually planned for that to happen. But that's just how we are. Quick off the draw and making shit up on the fly!*

We have no idea what we are doing

Also, we're recording another this weekend.

Awesome!

I'll have to pen a wonderful email to join the ranks of fraw.

Mar

Agyar said:
No, they're stereo. I'm not really impressed by "surround sound" headphones. Jamming a bunch of extra drivers into a set of headphones will never really replicate the sound stage of a 5.1 system and I'd rather just have two high-quality, well-tuned drivers.

Sure, but there are plenty of times I can't have my real 5.1 system blasting out during games or movies. It's an excellent replacement for when the house needs to remain silent. For instance, playing a game loud enough so you can appreciate 5.1 through traditional speakers is kind of impossible at 3am.

giri

Mar said:
Sure, but there are plenty of times I can't have my real 5.1 system blasting out during games or movies. It's an excellent replacement for when the house needs to remain silent. For instance, playing a game loud enough so you can appreciate 5.1 through traditional speakers is kind of impossible at 3am.

I stand with Agyar on this one, My senn HD 750's are just stunning, and i'm yet to hear a pair of surrounds that sound as good. For the same reasons.

Mar

giri said:
I stand with Agyar on this one, My senn HD 750's are just stunning, and i'm yet to hear a pair of surrounds that sound as good. For the same reasons.

Again, I'm not arguing. However in today's games surround is pretty important. For instance, my stupidly long Left 4 Dead multiplayer sessions finishing everything on expert, would probably have been much more difficult without knowing where things were coming from. And god knows, it was hard enough as it was. Pretty sure it's the hardest thing I've done in gaming.

If it weren't for stereo headphones, I'd never get any console gaming done. My girlfriend wakes up at the sound of a beetle farting, so the ability to play in silence while she's asleep is golden.

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
I'm home sick.

Is Dead Space finishable in a day?

Otherwise I'm gonna watch Father Ted and eat raisin toast all day.
Just do all three.

Also I am in Sydney, what's good to do other than going to the Apple store and accidentally buying an iPad?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Bathurst is on. Go watch the practice session!

Speaking of bathurst. How many ausgaffers have toca? Although i can't remember which version actually has the track. Maybe smash around on it saturday night, since none of us can actually race.

Agyar said:
Just do all three.

Also I am in Sydney, what's good to do other than going to the Apple store and accidentally buying an iPad?
Go down to the Rocks and leer at passersby. Follow this up with lunch in the "Spanish quarter" (really just a half an alleyway with some Spanish restaurants in it, forget what it's called) then go through the botanical gardens and jump out of bushes at people.

Or just take the ferry over to Taronga Zoo or visit the aquarium. I hear they're good.

Mar

Agyar said:
Just do all three.

If I found myself around the CBD with nothing to do all day, I'd probably buy an Edge and Retro Gamer magazine and plonk myself down at the Opera Bar or something similar. Drink beer, read about video games, and enjoy the 'view'(s).

Mar

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Go down to the Rocks and leer at passersby. Follow this up with lunch in the "Spanish quarter" (really just a half an alleyway with some Spanish restaurants in it, forget what it's called) then go through the botanical gardens and jump out of bushes at people.

Or just take the ferry over to Taronga Zoo or visit the aquarium. I hear they're good.

The Rocks is great, and there's an awesome italian restaurant there called Camminetto. Recommended.

Also, don't do any of the things listed in squirrel's spoiler text. The zoo and aquarium are stupidly expensive and full of tourists. Avoid like the plague.

Mar said:
The Rocks is great, and there's an awesome italian restaurant there called Camminetto. Recommended.

Also, don't do any of the things listed in squirrel's spoiler text. The zoo and aquarium are stupidly expensive and full of tourists. Avoid like the plague.
Really? I didn't get to see them last time I was down in Sydney, but they were on my list. Fair enough.

teekun

Bernbaum said:
I'm home sick.

Is Dead Space finishable in a day?

Is it finishable in 24 hours? Yes. But in a normal day of playing games? You'd be seriously pushing yourself. It's a pretty meaty game for something so linear.

giri

Mar said:
Again, I'm not arguing. However in today's games surround is pretty important. For instance, my stupidly long Left 4 Dead multiplayer sessions finishing everything on expert, would probably have been much more difficult without knowing where things were coming from. And god knows, it was hard enough as it was. Pretty sure it's the hardest thing I've done in gaming.

With the way sound is simulated i find i know most of that anyway. I mean, playing TF2 i don't really have those problems. But i don't really notice it either.

Also, i should play L4d, i've owned it since launch, but never played.

Shaneus

legend166 said:
I went to Sega World. Twice.

Both times there was barely any one there. It was pretty depressing.
I went there! I still have the Sega World fold-out map :D Tempted to scan it and send it into UKR but, well, that requires effort. Fucking loved it though... must've gone in it's heyday because it was pretty packed (from what I remember).

evlcookie said:
Bathurst is on. Go watch the practice session!

Speaking of bathurst. How many ausgaffers have toca? Although i can't remember which version actually has the track. Maybe smash around on it saturday night, since none of us can actually race.
I remember the Australian release was called V8 Supercars: Race Driver (I think) but I'm pretty sure it has about 50 different names, depending on the region purchased. It was Xbox 1/PS2 era, so it would be a bitch to find a PC copy that's playable (given that XBL on the original Xbox has been disabled).

rass

my $1 copy of tomb raider from mighty ape just rocked up. shipping was roughly 500% of the purchase price, brutal.

I finally went to see the Tim Burton exhibition at ACMI last night. Holy shitballs it was busy. Some of his early artwork is fantastic though, so worth it for me. Well worth a look if you are at all interested in his stuff, just be prepared for large crowds :(

legend166

Shaneus said:
I went there! I still have the Sega World fold-out map :D Tempted to scan it and send it into UKR but, well, that requires effort. Fucking loved it though... must've gone in it's heyday because it was pretty packed (from what I remember).

I went like two weeks after it opened.

We were watching an episode of Sydney Weekender with Mike Whitney, and he went there. Then we asked my dad if we could go, and we did.

Then I went again for my 11th or 12th birthday (can't remember which).

The Michael Jackson ride was creepy. The rest was pretty fun though.

The Wiki article is depressing:

Sega World Sydney opened in March 1997, in the Darling Harbour locality. The park was the result of an A$80 million investment by Sega, the Jacfun consortium, and the Darling Harbour Authority,[1][2] and was described as "Australia's Interactive Disneyland" by the media. Due to a below-required attendance and constant financial losses, the park was closed in November 2000.[1] Hopes that the influx of tourists travelling to Sydney for the 2000 Summer Olympics would help the park meet its 800,000-visitor breakeven point went unrealised.[1]

The park boasted a large amount of interactivity in its rides. Many of the themes were based on various SEGA franchises, primarily Sonic the Hedgehog. The park was also host to underage dance parties called Crush, usually held during school holidays.[3]

In March 2001, the contents of the park were auctioned off. Only 300 people attended the auction, with most of the rides sold off for minimal prices. The two major rides of the park, Rail Chase and Ghost Hunters, were sold to foreign buyers, with one of the rides going for A$60,000 less than its intended sale price of A$200,000.[1] Some of the amusement park's interior fixtures were still in place as of 2008, covered by backdrops and boarding.
The Sega World building in 2006

Following the closure of the park, the building was initially leased to the Jacfun consortium, which planned to install an entertainment complex in place of the amusement park.[2] This lease was terminated in early 2003, due to the lack of action by the consortium.[2] The building was then used by Shanghai Group Australia as a furniture exhibition warehouse before it was sold to Commonwealth Bank. They decided to build a new building over the old SegaWorld venture and during late October and early November 2008, the Sega World building was demolished.

markot

Banned
legend166 said:
I went like two weeks after it opened.

We were watching an episode of Sydney Weekender with Mike Whitney, and he went there. Then we asked my dad if we could go, and we did.

Then I went again for my 11th or 12th birthday (can't remember which).

The Michael Jackson ride was creepy.
>.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom