• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Mar said:
Anything you feel passionate about man. It's hard to write about something that someone else tells you to.

All of us just write or record stuff that we're interested in. The content may be slower that way but at least it's done by people that care about the subjects.

Yeah I just dont wanna write about something that may be so out of the norm:)
speaking of

High gold on the SC2 NA server. wooo

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Ydahs said:
EDIT: VOOKS, IGN says 'A Shadow's Tale' is out in Australia. Is that a placeholder date that never changed or is it the real deal?

Afaik, It's not out yet, but if it is I'd track it down ASAP because they'll only be one print run.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So VOOK is that red cased 25th aniversary mario wii thingy going to be available in AU? I would assume so, even though it's probably cheaper to import it anyway :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Evilore gave us a shout-out in the skin-colour thread:

Evilore said:
Some people are misconstruing things. The solution to the problem I talked about is not starting "OT2" and so forth when the soft cap on posts is met. That is already done forum-wide by the mod team, and is a completely unrelated software issue to keep thread size from trashing server load. It's not done to combat megathreads becoming insular subcommunities and so forth.

The issue I have is forming communities around a particular thread and just staying in there and using it as a chatroom. NeoGAf has a limited amount of active thread space, with just two main forum areas, and it's not designed to work that way. I unfortunately did not take the necessary steps to combat this until it became a serious problem, so certain threads spiraled out of control and we had drama like with the Rock Band thread deletion, and I had to move the AusGAF thread to the online forum (the AusGAF guys were far less hostile and I didn't want to break up their big subcommunity that had formed).

Some other concessions are made, yes. The stickied sports threads keep the OT forum from being overrun. It's a bandaid, but a functional one. The official threads on the gaming forum serve a very specific purpose: post-release discussion of a specific video game, and I've shifted policies on the gaming side to prevent megathreads from forming in most other circumstances related to gaming discussion. I'm happy with the results there, though it's an ongoing process.

You should not be shitting bricks and feeling like your forum is dying when a thread is closed, or in this case, merged. NeoGAF is the community. When you have something interesting and substantial to post, you can post a thread about it and people will chime in. It keeps things moving and keeps things accessible. Huge megathreads about particular subjects are not accessible except for the people already deep in them.

Bernbaum

Hey neat.

I guess I don't mind the thread being here. Only real issue is that it is harder for new NeoGAF members to know it exists and we lose exposure. There's 48 members who've posted in this thread 10 times or more, and I recognise pretty much all of them and have a rough idea of what kind of games they like to play. That's part of why I post about games in here and not the official threads- I may not know any of you personally, but the familiarity I have with other member's gaming tastes has on many occasions influenced what games I buy and play. Megathreads get huge and voices get lost in the overwhelming tide so it's nice to have a subcommunity the size of AusGAF to fall back on that doesn't get too 'cliquey'.

I care for the opinions of maybe three of you.

Tntnnbltn

Bernbaum said:
There's 48 members who've posted in this thread 10 times or more, and I recognise pretty much all of them and have a rough idea of what kind of games they like to play.
Now you've gone and done it.

Do me! Do me!

Shaneus

Who do I need to speak to about the AusGAF Steam group again? I keep meaning to ask, but always forget. Not this time, though... obviously!

If they're reading, it's either Shaneus or Shaneus2k2 :)

giri

oh how about the pro sc2 scene in Australia? :( would that be feasible.

I can say that i've been watching as much korean SC2 as i can find. I never watched any SC before, but i can see why it's their national sport. So so entertaining to watch. To see tactics develop/change on the fly like they do, and builds and the whole game change over the course of a tournament as players develop is just... engaging. Thats the best way to put it. You want to watch more to see how the next counter or what ever is worked.

HolyCheck

giri said:
I can say that i've been watching as much korean SC2 as i can find. I never watched any SC before, but i can see why it's their national sport. So so entertaining to watch. To see tactics develop/change on the fly like they do, and builds and the whole game change over the course of a tournament as players develop is just... engaging. Thats the best way to put it. You want to watch more to see how the next counter or what ever is worked.

you need to join us in the steam chat when the GSL is on! theres normaly a handful of us enjoying and watching and chatting about it! much to the annoyance of others.

markot

Banned
Things like that are why I am no longer surprised that shows like 2.5 men or Big Bang Theory get all ze ratings... >.<

HolyCheck

markot said:
Things like that are why I am no longer surprised that shows like 2.5 men or Big Bang Theory get all ze ratings... >.<

? the SC2?

that sucks :( because I hate both BBT and 2.5men

markot

Banned
I just cant really stand watching other people play games >.<

Its just so boring imo... Its like playing a game without all the fun or playing...

I dont mind if I am on the couch or with a friend/family member and helping or whatever. But stuff like SC2 replays, or even the ones with commentators... its just blehhhh...

HolyCheck

markot said:

Its just so boring imo... Its like playing a game without all the fun or playing...

I dont mind if I am on the couch or with a friend/family member and helping or whatever. But stuff like SC2 replays, or even the ones with commentators... its just blehhhh...

Fair enough!

I'm fairly low level and un able to pull off anything I see in these games, so that's why I find it exciting!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
SC2 isn't like other games.

SC2 is a sport, yo. I love it.

Dead Man

markot said:

Yeah, quite happy watching a friend play if we are taking turns or something, but otherwise it is missing the element that makes it a game. A bit like someone telling you the story of a movie.

Arozay

I don't like watching games when the view is controlled by the commentator. Rather have control over the view in a spectator interface where you aren't being dragged by the eyes half the time.

hamchan

Preordered Vanquish and GT5 for 60 pounds which is around $100 at Zavvi, using a bunch of discount codes. Pretty nice savings imo! Check cheap ass gaffer Euro thread to see how :D

Shaneus

Pretty sure it's checkout.

I couldn't risk getting GT5 from a website, despite the savings. Seriously one of the few games ever that I couldn't wait an extra day or two past launch for. Rather pay the extra $30 or so and have it the day it comes out (plus the extra $30 on top of that for the mid-CE version).

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
fappenmeister said:
Tntnnbltn have you had any luck with job applications yet?

Damn it, urge to buy new pc parts and Dead Rising 2 is.... rising.

Bastards.

A macbook and now a new PC for gaming? Rich teacher is rich! :D

Also means you have to idle in steam chat even more huehuehuehue

Choc

Banned
so i got some wisdom teeth pulled, and now my mouth HURTS

anyway due to this i treated myself to enslaved

awesome game :) A lot like uncharted with a few more flaws but the story and cut scenes are phenomonal. Andy Sirkis is a legend.

The game has environmental puzzles like Uncharted but so far i have not got stuck, which is good it keeps the game flowing as well as this the game does mix it up. as Bern said in the OT, the game lets you asses a problem with enemies before you take it on as they lay dormant until you wake them.

This clearly could be the sleeper of the year. The graphics are beautiful. It's no Uncharted 2 but for those who love UC, this could hold you over somewhat until U3

I am sure Bern agrees

Shaneus

So, who's gonna be watching the F1 this arvo? For once, it's being run at a time that's actually convenient for us Australians and should be good with Webber sitting on 2nd.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if anyone wants to send me a copy of Enslaved... I won't stop you.

Bernbaum

It's probably finishable as a rental if you're worried bout the cost. Haven't rented a game in a decade so I have no idea how long you can get them out for.

I paid RRP for mine. Couldn't be arsed doing the bargain hunt, despite the near certainty that I'll only play it once. I've got my new buying/playing philosophy and by gosh, I'm sticking to it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I almost exclusively buy games, but I've become so used to paying around 50 for a new game thanks to Steam.

That and I'm unemployed and living alone. Mooooonnnney.

jambo

Shaneus said:
So, who's gonna be watching the F1 this arvo? For once, it's being run at a time that's actually convenient for us Australians and should be good with Webber sitting on 2nd.
Might do. Bathurst should be finishing around then, so I'll probably switch over and hit up the F1's!

Bernbaum

Shaneus said:
What's that? Could I use it to justify buying more games?
The opposite.

I recognized that I have much more money than time on my hands and that I should only buy what I know I want to play at that moment, as opposed to buying a heap of shit just 'cause it's on bargain with the intention of playing later. I got stuck in my old habits of hounding things down on the cheap, but that really isn't necessary anymore given my situation. I'm probably saving money, because I'm buying less, and enjoying games more and have the chance to actually make headway on my backlog- something no gamer should have.

Why the hell am I considering NBA 2K11? It's a fucking sports game you idiot, close that tab!

Shaneus

Wow, that really does make a lot of sense. I think you've just about saved me a few dollars too... I was considering NBA 2K11 as well :lol

Er any of you willing to spec out a pc for about $1500 max? I'll be mostly using it for researching the mating habits of Tsetse flies
playing video games derr

Ah cheers cookie, they're standard specs in the price range nowdays? I'd probably be more keener on other cases and all that but it's a good place to start.

Pikelet

Pc case gear is a good place to buy parts from but their prebuilt pc's have a lot of stuff you probably wont need. e.g. the 1500$ 5850 one has an SSD. There is far better things to spend money on at that price range than a better Hdd, no matter how fast it is.

Fredescu

How about this?

$229 Intel i5-760
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=187_346_931&products_id=14941

(if you do a lot of CPU intensive multithreaded stuff outside of gaming you could consider an AMD x6 too)

$179 ASUS P7P55D-E
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_711_897&products_id=13119

(check bios version when you get it </evlcookie>)

$112 4gb ram G.Skill Ripjaws
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_538_913&products_id=13599

(or you could spend $7 less on http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_538_913&products_id=14540, but you'll regret not getting the Ripjaws if you've misplaced your hacksaw and you really need to cut something)

$39 CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler (GAFs favourite cooler for some reason)
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_23_845&products_id=12544

$9 Arctic Silver 5 (3.5g) (goop for your cooler)
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_163&products_id=2173

$259 Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Edition 1GB
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_687&products_id=14922

(the Gigabyte one is the same price, but Megadrive had to RMA his after a week of trying to figure out what was freezing in his new build.)

$249 Silverstone Fortress FT02B Black
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_608&products_id=13943

(funky case with the ports to the top. It's not exactly cheap, but you come in well under budget anyway, might as well get a nice aluminium case. Check out the Silverstone and Lian Li sections on pccg for other options)

$143 Corsair HX-650 Power Supply
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15_354&vk_sort=1

(modular, manufactured by seasonic)

$29 Samsung SATA DVDRW
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=658_667&products_id=13068

(or blu ray drives are only $80 now, and $140 to burn blu rays. up to you)

Total: $1248, almost enough left over in your budget for a 3DS.

If you want more power, you could upgrade the video card to a 5870 for $180 more and still be under budget. Those might be outdated soon by ATIs new 6xxx cards but there is all sorts of weird information about them going around, so I dunno, if you want it now, buy it now. Everything will be outdated eventually anyway.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
He had down the same case as mine which is a P193. He also mentioned he won't go aftermarket cooler but we should be able to slap him in the face for that one. Not sure if the CM cooler will fit in the case, it should .. maybe :lol

At 158mm i don't think it will. I think you need a cooler under 120mm, if you want the side fan to fit in the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom