• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

legend166 said:
I went like two weeks after it opened.

We were watching an episode of Sydney Weekender with Mike Whitney, and he went there. Then we asked my dad if we could go, and we did.

Then I went again for my 11th or 12th birthday (can't remember which).

The Michael Jackson ride was creepy. The rest was pretty fun though.

The Wiki article is depressing:
Wow, no shit it's depressing! I remember loving the 3D ride (with motion tracking headsets), Haunted House ride and the Indy 500 machines linked up with full movement and replay screen. As a massive Sega fanboy (not so much now, but back then) it was like a dream come true. My parents were so awesome for taking me, as we were only going on a road trip from Geelong to Canberra but they'd planned all along to take me there too.

I still have one of the Sonic "For Amusement Only" tokens laying around somewhere, but buggered if I can find it (it's only in the last year or two I've misplaced it).

R.I.P. Sega World.

PS. If anyone wants me to scan the map, I'd be more than happy to... I wouldn't mind the effort if it was going to be appreciated.

Choc

Banned
Mar said:
If I found myself around the CBD with nothing to do all day, I'd probably buy an Edge and Retro Gamer magazine and plonk myself down at the Opera Bar or something similar. Drink beer, read about video games, and enjoy the 'view'(s).

assuming you were dressed enough for opera bar

Deeku

Sega world was awesome. My parents took me there every school holiday and it was like $20 unlimited play or something. Good times.

Fredescu

Looks like you came to Sydney ten years too late Agyar. The only thing left to do is ponder what might have been. At least the harbour is good for pondering.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I went to Sega-world when I was like, eight. It's my only memory of Sydney.

I'm thinking of doing some sort of game-design based diploma on top of my bachelor degree. Any horror stories or recommendations?

rass

Rez said:

I'm thinking of doing some sort of game-design based diploma on top of my bachelor degree. Any horror stories or recommendations?
What are you doing for your BA? Is it related at all?
And what are you interested in with game design? graphics or UI or story? I have no horror stories or advice, just curious.

Axiom

My only memories of Sydney are discovering grilled cheese sandwiches at Centrepoint Tower, a monorail and learning that Jennifer Keyte had been using her nobody knows -cityname- like Seven line in more places than Melbourne.
I think I went to the aquarium too...but it's odd I have no memory of the opera house or the bridge.

Bernbaum

Rez said:

How time-demanding is your music degree? All my mates that did music/audio technology basically had to 'live' it order to make the grades.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not to be a smug-asshole, but I'm not really all that busy with the degree, I'm cruising through the coursework.

I'm more or less looking for something I can do part time to learn some basics, like how to use some common tools or learn some fundamentals in C++ or something.

Bernbaum

Too many darned games.

In late October alone, I'm keen to get Vanquish, DJ Hero 2, Fable III and the new Professor Layton. Add to that my imminent purchase of Enslaved, as well as Ass Creed Brotherhood in early November. There's also Medal of Honour, but I couldn't give a shit about that.

And I only just learned that NA and JP get Kirby's Epic Yarn this year, but it's a 2011 PAL release.

Mar

Choc said:
assuming you were dressed enough for opera bar

Jeans and a t-shirt dude. That's just how I roll.

Ydahs said:

c0XdB.png

giri

Ydahs said:
So there was this one guy who tried to set my cousin's house on fire. Over the past week, he's been knocking on the windows at night, spray painting the windows, smashing on the front door screaming for someone who didn't live there.

A couple of days ago during the day he got a barrel full of petrol and spilled a bunch on the front porch and lit it. When my cousin saw the barrel and flames, he panicked and literally threw his daughter over the fence to get her out of harms way before trying to put it out. Luckily the fire was minimal and never reached the barrel. The police said they couldn't do anything even though the guy attempted to blow up the house, so the next best thing? He called over his brothers and cousins :lol

The neighbours allowed them to park their cars in their drive ways so nothing appeared suspicious. At 11:30pm yesterday (or the night before), the guy comes and does his usual knocking on the doors and out come my cousins and beat the shit out of him. My 60 year old uncle managed to get a punch in :lol . One takes it a little too far and slits his neck, but they managed to pin him down and then called the cops. The cops thanked them for basically doing their job and told them to put away the knife. Apparently he's now locked behind bars (or will be after he's medically cleared) but sure is scary realizing how close it was to losing my cousin, his wife and daughter :(

His daughter and the neighbour's children (also my cousin) are traumatized and might need some counseling... Disappointing that the police couldn't do anything better it got to this :|

Uhhh, wtf? He should be in jail, but you're not the police either, doing what they did was stupid and wrong.

Mar

giri said:
Uhhh, wtf? He should be in jail, but you're not the police either, doing what they did was stupid and wrong.

Yeah... And saying stuff like that on the internet is probably a really bad idea. It could be used as evidence if this went to court.

Mar said:
Yeah... And saying stuff like that on the internet is probably a really bad idea. It could be used as evidence if this went to court.

First benefit of AusGAF being in the user-restricted online section?

Ydahs

Mar said:
Guess you're right. Not worth the risk even with the online board. I'll edit out my post. I'd also appreciate it if you guys do too.

Danoss

rass said:
my $1 copy of tomb raider from mighty ape just rocked up. shipping was roughly 500% of the purchase price, brutal.
Still waiting on mine. How it takes more than 3 days to post to Sydney metro is beyond me.

rass

Danoss said:
Still waiting on mine. How it takes more than 3 days to post to Sydney metro is beyond me.
hmm, I'm in Melbourne which means my copy came past you on its way to me. Unlucky.

Ydahs

Rahk said:
Slit his neck? Dag, yo.
EDIT: after speaking with someone who was there is appears my story was false in some parts. I'll just say that the police were involved more than I thought and the worst affected of all involved were the children. A classic case of Chinese whispers.

Let's end it at that (and would be great if you can edit out initial post which is just hearsay)

Shaneus

If I can divert the conversation briefly, can I just say that the TNC Berry Delights will be the death of me. Having 3 bags for $5 at Safeway isn't fucking helping. Seriously. Are they made from a combination of cocaine and MSG or something?

Mar

Gazunta said:
What does it say about me that I have absolutely no idea what Enslaved is?

You could be forgiven. I think we've reached a point where game names are increasingly sounding very similar. A lot of games just fly under my radar now because I hear generic sounding thing that sounds like a million other things.

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole not withstanding.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When Valve updated CS:S, did they completely remove the ability to change your game name outside of Friends? I can understand linking the two if Steam is in online mode, but not being able to change it when running it offline is absolutely ridiculous.

giri

JaseC said:
When Valve updated CS:S, did they completely remove the ability to change your game name outside of Friends? I can understand linking the two if Steam is in online mode, but not being able to change it when running it offline is absolutely ridiculous.

Wait wait wait.

People still play CS?

Rahk

I don't know what Enslaved is either...

I think there's a game called Vanquish or something too? I guess I vaguely know what that one is. Think I can picture the box art at least.

Ydahs

giri said:
Wait wait wait.

People still play CS?
CS 1.6 still has heaps of servers though unfortunately the Aussie servers are dwindling. Hoping the NBN means we can play on US servers without being booted :D

Rezbit

Rahk said:
I don't know what Enslaved is either...

I think there's a game called Vanquish or something too? I guess I vaguely know what that one is. Think I can picture the box art at least.

:lol I got those two mixed up for ages, until I actually downloaded the Vanquish demo. Seems kinda like a more futuristic looking Gears of War on speed.

BrisGAF:

DNF will be playable at the Mana Bar next Saturday (16th) for 12 hours.

Facebook event link here.

Randy Pitchford and Steve Gibson of Gearbox will both be there.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just tried the Enslaved demo, and I might have to eat my words.

it feels kind of like a slightly less polished Uncharted, but I could kind of use a super-linear game like this as a palette cleanser following Civ V.

Axiom

Enslaved is a lot better than the demo so far - hell in spite of everyone being all 'the story is great' I didn't buy it given the characterisation but yet...I'm getting drawn in.

The character acting is really well done and the gameplay is much more good bits of Prince of Persia than God of War. Even the combat has a lot of puzzle elements or precision to avoid it in the first place.

I'm really really enjoying it so far, but early days yet - stillI really didn't think picking Enslaved over Lords of Shadow due to my Monkey Magic bias would work out so well.

Is there a Rock Band 3 bundle of any kind being offered down here? I'd really prefer just to pick up the game and keyboard; even if I can't import my Rock Band 2 US songs.

Edit: Just to touch on an earlier topic, while being in the Online forum might not grow the AusGaf community I'm very much against going to off-topic. We ALWAYS come back around to games here, and getting side-tracked in politics and sports with no actual cause to get back onto that common interest would remove some of what makes this thread work as well as it does I think.
Not that I'm the most clear minded person as I sit here eying DC Universe Online on Steam so I can get into the beta

Ydahs

How does post game in FFXIII work? I heard that you're teleported back to the area before the final boss, but do you at least get to keep the Crystarium Points gathered from the boss battle? Or is it Twilight Princess-esque where it's like the battle never even happened?

Loving this game for the same reason why I loved FFXII. Hunts are probably my favourite RPG feature. Any other RPGs have a similar feature that I should check out?

EDIT: VOOKS, IGN says 'A Shadow's Tale' is out in Australia. Is that a placeholder date that never changed or is it the real deal?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Rez said:
just tried the Enslaved demo, and I might have to eat my words.

it feels kind of like a slightly less polished Uncharted, but I could kind of use a super-linear game like this as a palette cleanser following Civ V.

The issue being it's no longer 2007. Then again, certain allowances can be made for the fact Enslaved utilises UE3. :p

Aon

Ydahs said:
How does post game in FFXIII work? I heard that you're teleported back to the area before the final boss, but do you at least get to keep the Crystarium Points gathered from the boss battle? Or is it Twilight Princess-esque where it's like the battle never even happened?

So maybe half an hour before the final boss there are some portals, which will essentially teleport you back to the game's open area
Gran Pulse
, meaning that you can finish out a bunch of the quests before reaching him if you want.

But you beat the boss get the ending then it's all "Final Crsytarium Tier Unlocked"!
Then dumps you back to the menu screen. If you load that save up you'll be prior to the boss with the final Tier still unlocked, then you can run back to those portals and beat everything, since your characters will be able to gain enough power to really put the hurt of the Admantoises.

For more HOT tips and trix, visit Gamecrux.com
Australian Tips, Australian Trix.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Aon said:
So maybe half an hour before the final boss there are some portals, which will essentially teleport you back to the game's open area
Gran Pulse
, meaning that you can finish out a bunch of the quests before reaching him if you want.

But you beat the boss get the ending then it's all "Final Crsytarium Tier Unlocked"!
Then dumps you back to the menu screen. If you load that save up you'll be prior to the boss with the final Tier still unlocked, then you can run back to those portals and beat everything, since your characters will be able to gain enough power to really put the hurt of the Admantoises.

I've been thinking of writing something for gamecrux, not a review, maybe an interview with someone, or maybe a special.

any ideas?

oh how about the pro sc2 scene in Australia? :( would that be feasible.

Ydahs

Aon said:
Gran Pulse

Cheers. I'm up to that point now, but I realized that there was no way to complete some of the hunt quests when the enemies are taking away 9999 with a single hit...

Guess I should just beat the game and start building up my character stats.

That or begin playing either The Conduit or No More Heroes 2. Haven't even touched my SMG2 yet :(

Mar

Syth_Blade22 said:
I've been thinking of writing something for gamecrux, not a review, maybe an interview with someone, or maybe a special.

any ideas?

oh how about the pro sc2 scene in Australia? :( would that be feasible.

Anything you feel passionate about man. It's hard to write about something that someone else tells you to.

All of us just write or record stuff that we're interested in. The content may be slower that way but at least it's done by people that care about the subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom