• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mar said:
What is this madness?

Madness? Why on earth wouldn't you use it? The madness is using it to look around in a racing game where you're going 200mph, that's madness and stupidity at it's finest.

Triggers are god awful as well, It's uncomfy and just plain shit.

markot

Banned
evlcookie said:
Madness? Why on earth wouldn't you use it? The madness is using it to look around in a racing game where you're going 200mph, that's madness and stupidity at it's finest.

2219008.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
people don't like triggers for acceleration? what is this madness.

Frawdder

evlcookie said:

WOT?

When I'm not using a wheel, like I will be in NFSHP, triggers are the way to go. We left accel/brake on the right stick back on the PS2 (and even then I still never used it like that, X and Square FTW!).

Agyar

hamchan said:
When was right stick ever used for accel/brake? Sounds like the worst thing ever.

I'm in this camp. I remember trying to use the right stick for acceleration/braking in GT4 once and it was terrible. Triggers are easily the most natural place to put these functions.

markot

Banned
I started off using the right stick for accel/brake with GT3 >.<

Its just better, how could it not be? You people probably dont even invert mouse for fps games....

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
wow i had no idea there was this much trigger love. I honestly don't understand it. I find triggers to be tiresome and just awkward when used in a racer.

Left stick for turning, right stick for accel/brake and 1 trigger for boost. That's all you need.
Instead it's left stick for turning, left trigger for accel, right trigger for break, one of the other triggers for boost. That's just not a natural feel to it for me personally.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the triggers are more similar in feel to an actual accelerator or brake, though.

I mean, I haven't even tried the other method, to be fair. I'm sure either way probably works fine.

Frawdder

evlcookie said:
wow i had no idea there was this much trigger love. I honestly don't understand it. I find triggers to be tiresome and just awkward when used in a racer.

Left stick for turning, right stick for accel/brake and 1 trigger for boost. That's all you need.
Instead it's left stick for turning, left trigger for accel, right trigger for break, one of the other triggers for boost. That's just not a natural feel to it for me personally.
So, put boost on one of the face buttons.

Triggers allow much more control, also enabling you do tap the brakes while you're accelerating to stabilise the car or wipe of some speed without rolling out of the throttle. Triggers are a god send in arcade racers, nothing else feels right any more.

hamchan

evlcookie said:

You're right that it's not natural. Right trigger should be used for accel and left for brake.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I always found more control with the stick. The triggers were always so touchy, you feel like you have to push that thing right down to make sure you're getting full acceleration. With a stick it was up or down and you could go in between to slow down if needed.

In an arcade racer there's really no need to control the brake. To drift you slam it down then straight back up on a stick and you're fine. If you want more control then you turn it like you are turning a corner, so you're not going max accel around a bend.

I do have an odd way of playing racers. This love of the stick goes back to burnout 3 for me. I once had to take footage of how i played for a fellow player in Canada since it was so strange. They still didn't understand it with my amazingly low sd capture :D

Deeku

I've always used right stick for accelerating and braking and the shoulders/triggers for gear shifting in every racing game I've played.

The first time I came across the trigger nonsense was in GTA4 and it totally messed with my head. I think I either got used to it or just used the ol' X and sqaure buttons for accelerate/brake.

But I'm definitely with cookie. Given the choice I will always choose the right stick.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
these days there's so much wriggle room in the 'top-acceleration range', the game's are made to accommodate for that. chances are there's only four or five actual speeds available in some games anyway.

Rahk

markot said:
I started off using the right stick for accel/brake with GT3 >.<

Its just better, how could it not be? You people probably dont even invert mouse for fps games....
Wait, what?!

Nemesis556 said:
Did Castlevania get pushed back again? Apparently it's releasing on the 19th now. =/
Wouldn't it be the 21st if it was pushed back?

MrSerrels said:
In other news - how the hell do I get that england flag off my avatar?
I think there's a cream for that.

Not long now til the Ashes start :p

Danoss

markot said:
Invert it so up is down and down is up! Get with the program! Its a much better way to play any scientist will tell you that.
I am not a scientist and I will not agree with any such craziness.

However, Einstein finds your inverted mouse idea hilarious.

einstein460x276.jpg

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
markot said:
Invert it so up is down and down is up! Get with the program! Its a much better way to play any scientist will tell you that.

Who doesn't do this. Oh wait i'm guessing everyone but you and me :lol

You look left to look left, right to look right, up to look up and down to look down. But i'm sure others would say you tilt your head back to look up and forward to look down.

Shiiiiiiiiiit!

Mar

evlcookie said:

I, uh... I'm literally at a loss for words here. Not only that there is a 'right analogue stick for accel / brake' defence force, but also at just how upset you are by it.

How would you accel and brake at the same time? Burnout Paradise triggered events by, well, burning out with the left and right trigger at the same time. I also can't imagine any degree of controlability for cornering under braking with one stick controlling both forward and stopping motion.

Frawdder

markot said:
So, if I want to look to the sky - down.
And if I want to look at my feet - up.

I have no words.

Bernbaum

Poimandres said:
So I just found this thread after weeks of thinking Ausgaf was no more...

I thought you guys were dead.
We were. Now we have an unexplainable hunger for human brains and a skin condition that would horrify your mother.

After seeing the megathreads close, we should be thankful that the thread has been allowed to continue at all...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to have this thread locked unless someone sends me a totally free copy of both Enslaved and Castlevania.

You have until sun-down on tomorrow's eve

Bernbaum

I wonder if the little sub-communities that develop natively like GayGAF and RockBandGAF would be allowed to continue here in Online as stickied threads. That way, the little societies that form on the main forums would have their own space to exist without impeding on the real estate of the two main forums.

Being in online also affords a mild level of privacy as only members can view the content.

GayGAF had a pretty strong community and it must have been upsetting for its members to see it close. That community seemed pretty supportive...

AusGAF however is just a motley collection of asinine bastards.

Bernbaum

Rez said:
I'm going to have this thread locked unless someone sends me a totally free copy of both Enslaved and Castlevania.

Enslaved is a game that is very cognisant of its own pacing, so much so that when the shallow yet satisfying combat nears staleness towards the end, and the inventive ideas for confrontations run out, the game madly scrambles to keep it fresh by throwing out turret sections, drawn-out boss fights and other cliched minutia in an attempt to keep it fresh. Enslaved gets dizzyingly close to being repetitive but avoids it at every turn. It's a game that is painfully aware of its limitations but does its utmost to work around them. I'm on the cusp on completion and my opinion is still fermenting, yet I feel the developers aimed for an above-average experience with no major failings and achieved just that.

Rez said:
http://behattedawesomeness.jpg[IMG]

what the fuck :lol[/QUOTE]
They're called bewbs. Jeez...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Bernbaum said:
AusGAF however is just a motley collection of asinine bastards.

And all of us asinine bastards are in steam chat. Those of you who aren't, well i guess you're all the nice people in this thread :D

Now i really wish dual stick controls were in NFS. Just so i could see if there was any difference in lap times / speed between both setups.

Fredescu

Dear Rez,

You are cordially invited to attend Steam chat. Attire is smart casual. Partners welcome.

RSVP: 31/12/2012

Guests are reminded to beware the Kritz.

Clipper

Oh, the inverted controls argument again. Both modes are natural, it just depends if you are feeling the action of tilting your head or rolling your eyes, which is up to the individual to decide.

You tilt your head up to look up, hence non-inverted makes sense. You roll your eyes back to look up, hence inverted makes sense. Neither method is really more intuitive, so just stick with what is good for you and don't force it on others :lol.

Also, who cares about triggers or sticks for brakes?
Non-kart racing games are boring
:D.

Nemesis_

Rez said:

I almost had a copy to give away, then I read someone mentioned Forgotten Sands and that PA were selling it for $20. So I bought that instead.

I'm tempted to get Castlevania from an importer but no places have stock at a decent price, so I won't receive it as quickly as, say, just waiting for a local release.

Might go finished up my EBRented™ copy of Enslaved now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom