• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

Clipper said:
Oh, the inverted controls argument again. Both modes are natural, it just depends if you are feeling the action of tilting your head or rolling your eyes, which is up to the individual to decide.

You tilt your head up to look up, hence non-inverted makes sense. You roll your eyes back to look up, hence inverted makes sense. Neither method is really more intuitive, so just stick with what is good for you and don't force it on others :lol.

I would have gone the other way around.... you tilt your head back to look up, hence move mouse down....you know it makes sense. :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
my favourite camera control scheme in third-person games is the one where it's like you're controlling an invisible reticule on screen, which I believe is usually called uninverted but what camera inversion means from game to game is always different.

It means when it comes time to hold a L1 to aim, or something, I've already started aiming using the stick out of habit, and it means my aim is a million times better as a result.

I love dual-analogue. I like mouse and keyboard and motion control, but that specific feeling of using dual-analogue well is very rewarding. I wouldn't be sad to see it go, though, because I feel like the coordination needed to use it is what's stopping more people from playing and enjoying games nowadays, specifically non-gamers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
trinest said:
That will be as long as tering as the thread which someone had the mouse V. controler pad topic.
really? I think it's going to be a landslide in favour of the triggers.

Fredescu

trinest said:
That will be as long as tering as the thread which someone had the mouse V. controler pad topic.
Think there's a typo there so I'm not sure what you mean, but mouse vs controller threads invariably devolve into PC vs Console shit flinging. I don't see why that would happen in this thread, it seems like a cross platform issue.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rez said:
really? I think it's going to be a landslide in favour of the triggers.

Agreed. I don't see my awesome dual stick winning at all. I think there's only a small portion of players who would use it if there was actually an option. It should be an option though, that's my argument in it all. Locking down someone to a one design fits all control scheme in a racer isn't very nice.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm all for as much control customisability as possible, in any game. I don't see why not.

Agyar

Mar said:
I also can't imagine any degree of controlability for cornering under braking with one stick controlling both forward and stopping motion.

This is why you can't use the RS for acceleration/braking in games like Burnout. How are you supposed to corner correctly without the ability to use both at once?

Choc

Banned
fuck it mark :D

also winmo 7, in the hand (

initial impressions, nice..... (posting from it)

50 Live games out day 1 (21/10/10)

also, glad i ordered PES 2011 from gamelane.com.au (who has it AND castlevania in stock RIGHT NOW)

why is it a local shop can get it but a distributor cant ffs

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Agyar said:
This is why you can't use the RS for acceleration/braking in games like Burnout. How are you supposed to corner correctly without the ability to use both at once?

What? You can't be serious? Please tell me you're not.

You drift around corners in burnout. A drift requires about .1 of a second of brake + you turning into the corner then back into full acceleration and boosting. If you need to throw some extra brake on you throw the stick back for an extra split second and back to full acceleration.

There is nothing complex about it. It's how i played burnout 3 and i had no issues with it at all. Considering i had top lap times online on the old burnout 3 boards and was easily one of the best players on all of the ps2 (dunno about xbox) when it came to online. The idea that you can't play a game like burnout with the right stick is laughable at best.

It's why you play daytona at the arcade in the same way. You slam the gears from 4th to 1st as fast as possible and back again on the first main corner of the advanced stage to stay at around 310km/h. Then you slam it to 1st, 3rd, 4th for the rest of the corners to keep your speed around 280+. Hell you never use the brake in daytona, maybe only for one of the corners in the expert stages.

legend166

Choc, I need your official statement on this post from someone on the Rockband forum!

Bad news guys - the manager of the local GAME store called me today. According to him (a huge RB fan), the keyboards are not coming to Australia. Not to GAME, not to EB, not to JB, not to anywhere.

Preparing to import in 3... 2... 1...

This can't really be true... can it?

If so, I'm out. As much as I love RB, I shouldn't have to import a peripheral to be able to play parts of a game I buy in Australia.

Choc

Banned
I'm not allowed to comment at this stage (and the GAME manager should not have etiher, head office will be rather pissed with him)

Negotiations are ongoing.........

legend166

Choc said:
I'm not allowed to comment at this stage (and the GAME manager should not have etiher, head office will be rather pissed with him)

So in other words you're saying I should just import?

Which I will, because it's cheaper and it will get here earlier.

Bernbaum

'The Pacific' box set on BluRay will be $80 at JB. We downloaded them when they were broadcast in the US, not sure if I'll buy the set straight away.

Mar

I replied.

The great cookie vs mar debate continues... I'd love to see some good counter points to my latest effort.

Mar

Choc said:

I won't be buying this game unless I can buy the Fender. Importing it may not be an option.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mar said:
I replied.

The great cookie vs mar debate continues... I'd love to see some good counter points to my latest effort.

I get the feeling i might need to steal a blackbox and record some burnout 3 footage or something. Just to show how the dual stick setup actually works and how i play it.

For me it's more to do with arcade racers than sims. In a sim then yea, the triggers might be more accurate but i can't comment on how it would be.

Axiom

I thought it was fishy there was no bundle of software/keyboard as that's what I was going to put this EB gift card towards.

No keyboard, no sale until it's dirt cheap. Gives me time to try and find a PAL Rock Band 2 for song import at least.

teekun

markot said:
Its like EA dont want to sell the game.

I can't blame them really. They missed the boat on the first release, and as a result it's got no name recognition here. Compared to Guitar Hero, a bit box named "Rock Band" looks like some cheap hong kong knockoff.

Mar

teekun said:
I can't blame them really. They missed the boat on the first release, and as a result it's got no name recognition here. Compared to Guitar Hero, a bit box named "Rock Band" looks like some cheap hong kong knockoff.

Rename it Ricki Lee's Rock Band. Instant smash hit.

Though I'd have to pass on it.

Rahk

Not sure why you would import the keyboard for Rock Band 3 when you could buy the midi adapter and probably get a fully functional midi keyboard here for cheaper.

Even if it was released here I'd rather do that anyway.

teekun

Rahk said:
Not sure why you would import the keyboard for Rock Band 3 when you could buy the midi adapter and probably get a fully functional midi keyboard here for cheaper.

Because it doubles as a KEYTAR :lol

legend166

Rahk said:

Even if it was released here I'd rather do that anyway.

I've looked at doing what you're saying.

I'm thinking the cheapest way will be to import the Midi Adapter Pro and then buy a keyboard locally, haha.

teekun

Honestly guys, you can import everything from Amazon for dirt cheap except for the drum kits, since those are too heavy. I'll just be doing that if we can't get any of this stuff locally.

legend166

teekun said:
Honestly guys, you can import everything from Amazon for dirt cheap except for the drum kits, since those are too heavy. I'll just be doing that if we can't get any of this stuff locally.

Annoyingly, the midi adapter doesn't come out until late November in the States.

Marked down as coming at the end of October in Australia. I guess it makes sense. They have no hardware to sell here so might as well sell the adapter. In the States, they want to sell the keyboards so they push back the adapter.

Ydahs

teekun said:
You can? I recall wanting to import headphones from Amazon over a year ago and it said US only.

teekun

Ydahs said:
You can? I recall wanting to import headphones from Amazon over a year ago and it said US only.

Currently I can add anything but the drum kit to my shopping cart, and get all the way to the final checkout stage without any warnings.

I'll be ordering a RB2 guitar to test this out pretty soon, as I'm in serious need of a second guitar and might as well make it a good one.

trinest

Nemesis556 said:
Fffuuu.

Should I just buy CV from GameLane or wait it out. Sigh. I don't know what to do, never been so conflicted. =/
lol its to expensive from GameLane- get it from OzGameStore (though you got to wait- then again that might be way you want it from GameLane)

Mar

Nemesis556 said:
Fffuuu.

Should I just buy CV from GameLane or wait it out. Sigh. I don't know what to do, never been so conflicted. =/

I'm going to keep on waiting. As much as I want that game, I have 400 others that I want to play as well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
word on the street is that it's going to get a rather big patch that fixes some little issues with Civ V in the next few weeks, so that should help you win the game for a few more weeks

Nemesis_

Mar said:
I'm going to keep on waiting. As much as I want that game, I have 400 others that I want to play as well.

I do have about three assignments due, so perhaps waiting will be the best option.

and I have some achievements to finish off on Enslaved.

Sigh. I hate this uncertainty.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if you've waited this long you can wait a few more days.

Code Veronica isn't even that good.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
same, but you know, commitment to the bit and all that

I'm a mixed bag for control schemes. Consoles I always use inverted as that is what I learnt to do while on pc I use non-inverted. Does that just make me a strange hybrid?

Bernbaum

Video doesn't properly simulate the 5 minutes it would take for the gaseous material to traverse the entire extent of Julia's nasal canal and reach the olfactory epithelium.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Doing a poll on the 3DS price for Australia, would welcome people to vote.

I know probably gonna get some BS responses but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom