• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

Bernbaum said:
Hah, Bob Murray from Firemint is on ABC 24 talking about games development.
This a repeat from Sundays business show?

The office environment looked ... interesting...the way it was set up...everyones desk being 1 metre from the neighbour... :D

Choc

Banned
as someone who has been using windows phone 7 this picture could not be further from the truth

05dueling14.jpg

It's going to surprise a lot of people. It obviously won't outsell iphone but android and wp7 could be on an even footing.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So why throw it in the trash if it's actually decent? On par with android? Or are you saying that's not enough and it's actually kinda shitty?

Agyar

evlcookie said:
So why throw it in the trash if it's actually decent? On par with android? Or are you saying that's not enough and it's actually kinda shitty?
I'm also confused as to what Choc's point is.

Choc

Banned
i am saying that comic is so wrong its not funny

its very much on par with android. There is now a ton of apps being added to marketplace every day (since MS launched the thing last week)

It has the polish of IOS without to much restriction

Android in a few years will be a very good OS, but until such time that google has a version which is in every phone and not broken by every phone maker in the world, it will remain a hardcore operating system

android has a lot of apps but most run like crap as google doesn't have any quality controls on marketplace really.

Microsoft has gone the apple route with full verification of apps and the OS is much better for it.

edit: my point was that a lot of people are writing off Windows Phone 7 just because iphone is so big and android is already out. So they are making stupid dumb comics that will make them look stupid in 6-12 months time.

Choc

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Foxtel on Xbox packages announced

Pretty much the pricing I was expecting.

Still won't work if they don't get one of the big providers to go unmetred. Come on Telstra, you've been on a roll lately, keep it going.

It will be unmetered on Telstra.

Also, what the fuck is it with Telstra and making DUMB decisions

Will this be available everywhere in Australia?

Foxtel on Xbox 360 will be available in all Foxtel-serviced areas. It will not be available in areas not serviced by Foxtel.

what is the fucking point of it then? No wonder their shares are going to shit when they do things like that. I understand that Ausstar etc issues but if you can't get FOX or AUSSTAR, then surely you should be allowed to subscribe to this

The whole fucking point of IPTV is to get it to areas you cant get it already. Unbeliveable...

Fredescu

Choc said:
Chocperbole would be 'its on par with iphone' :p
No copy paste, no flash, not even silverlight, no tethering, reduced multitasking, change SD cards and your phone reverts to default settings, no VPN support, no videocalling, no file manager, no bluetooth transfers. It's not on par with my morning turd.

rass

iPhone 4 game obsessions, volume eleventy:
Mirror's Edge - $1.19 on special. Whoever recommended this is a freaking genius. Plays so damn well. Also looks awesome on the iPhone 4 - buy it if you havent :)

Trainyard - got it this morning on special for $1.19. you drag lines like pipe mania to get coloured trains from one point to another. Awesome puzzle game, much more complex than I made it sound.

in other news, buy all of my things on eBay! and my car on carsales!
My PS3 fat is listed with games and movies and my PlayTV is listed separately - can link if anyone is interested. Nothing finishes till next sunday though.

Choc said:
It will be unmetered on Telstra.

Also, what the fuck is it with Telstra and making DUMB decisions

Will this be available everywhere in Australia?

Foxtel on Xbox 360 will be available in all Foxtel-serviced areas. It will not be available in areas not serviced by Foxtel.

what is the fucking point of it then? No wonder their shares are going to shit when they do things like that. I understand that Ausstar etc issues but if you can't get FOX or AUSSTAR, then surely you should be allowed to subscribe to this

The whole fucking point of IPTV is to get it to areas you cant get it already. Unbeliveable...

1) How do you know it will be unmetred with Telstra?

2) Yes that IS dumb. If it's IPTV I figured if you can get broadband, you can get Foxtel through Xbox. I figured it was the whole point to capture more customers?

Choc

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
1) How do you know it will be unmetred with Telstra?

2) Yes that IS dumb. If it's IPTV I figured if you can get broadband, you can get Foxtel through Xbox. I figured it was the whole point to capture more customers?

Everything Foxtel is already unmetered on Telstra....

What i want to know is if that you are in an apartment building which is not cabled with Fox but your suburb IS cabled with fox if that counts as a Foxtel covered area......

if not, even more fucking ludicrous

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
No copy paste, no flash, not even silverlight, no tethering, reduced multitasking, change SD cards and your phone reverts to default settings, no VPN support, no videocalling, no file manager, no bluetooth transfers. It's not on par with my morning turd.

You're forgetting the killer app for corporates fred, direct integration into corporate sharepoints

that, is fucking amazing (for those who need it).

CP is coming in Jan (agreed that it is crap its not there) so is multitasking. The SD cards thing is a bit weird yes..., vpn support indeed, video calling who gives a wank, honestly...

fred i agree with most of what you say, but there are a lot of positives to the system as well (such as coming with a free full version of MS office allowing you to write docs etc on the fly and upload directly to your corporate sharepoint....., not even Blackberry can do that)..

I think you need to look at WP7 as the first evolution, like iphone as time goes on it will add stuff but yes in certain areas it lacks. It depends on what is important to you...

Choc said:
Everything Foxtel is already unmetered on Telstra....

What i want to know is if that you are in an apartment building which is not cabled with Fox but your suburb IS cabled with fox if that counts as a Foxtel covered area......

if not, even more fucking ludicrous

This might be different though.

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
Sure. That's not what you were saying before.

no what i was saying is dismiss the platform at your peril. It needs work but its not a write off :)

Foxtel is owned by Telstra. They would be deadset insane to meter it.

Fredescu

Choc said:
no what i was saying is dismiss the platform at your peril. It needs work but its not a write off :)
Sure, but it's not on par with shit at the moment. Given some time in the oven and the fact that Microsoft have always had the best developer tools in the business, it might be worthwhile in a year or so. By that time we will be playing Crysis 3 on iPhone 6.

Sew

I think Choc is right, there's no way Win Phone 7 is going to bomb. The corporate market will eat it up, and the biggest slice of the pie: people who don't know or care about phone OSes, but just want the shiny HTC. And Windows has its own fanboy market too.

If you use the internet as your guide it all looks like iPhone vs Android, but it's not nearly the whole picture.

Sew

Hello :D

6hI1F.jpg

I've upgraded several times and keep going back to this 2G POS. I like the buttons and battery life, and have other options for mobile internet.

Fredescu

Don't replace them with a WinMo7 phone with a hardware keyboard guys. The phone doesn't rotate the display properly!
yrcBw.jpg

More: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370592,00.asp

"The sliding QWERTY form factor also puts Windows Phone 7 in a weak position because many Windows Phone 7 apps and "experiences" don't rotate into landscape mode. You're left navigating the main applications menu sideways, looking at a map sideways, or bidding on eBay while rotated 90 degrees. It's unacceptable."

Side typing!

trinest

Fredescu said:
No copy and paste? Next update.
No flash? Adobes problem.
No silverlight? WTF- oh in browser- so?
No tethering? I thought it did but it was up to the providers to provide it.
SD Card thing? I don't see how that is a problem- shove in a 32GB SD card and call it a day- you never have to remove it.
The rest is just even stupid trolling then what I was doing- lol no sense.

HTC Pro 7 and HTC HD 7 look like good phones.

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
Don't replace them with a WinMo7 phone with a hardware keyboard guys. The phone doesn't rotate the display properly!
yrcBw.jpg

More: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370592,00.asp

"The sliding QWERTY form factor also puts Windows Phone 7 in a weak position because many Windows Phone 7 apps and "experiences" don't rotate into landscape mode. You're left navigating the main applications menu sideways, looking at a map sideways, or bidding on eBay while rotated 90 degrees. It's unacceptable."

Side typing!

ahahha thats pretty bad i must admit. I think MS recently changed their approval process to be that the program must also work in horizontal.

hmm a lot of these buggers (if they are under the same NDA as Australia) are breaking it! not supposed to report on stuff like this until 21st

Choc

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Ahh, ok. So you don't know for sure it will be unmetered. You're assuming?

Honestly, i don't know.

But it's like this

Foxtel is not metered on Next G phones

Foxtel download is not metered on Telstra

For them to meter Xbox 360 Foxtel would be dumb when compared to those two.

Fredescu

trinest said:
No flash? Adobes problem.
Was in 6.5. Removed in 7.

trinest said:
No silverlight? WTF- oh in browser- so?
Was in 6.5. Removed in 7.

trinest said:
No tethering? I thought it did but it was up to the providers to provide it.
Android supports it natively in the OS. Not sure about iOS. WinMo 6.5 did too! Not 7.

trinest said:
SD Card thing? I don't see how that is a problem- shove in a 32GB SD card and call it a day- you never have to remove it.
Didn't do that in 6.5. Doesn't do it for any other phones that I'm aware of.

trinest said:
The rest is just even stupid trolling then what I was doing- lol no sense.
Ran out of puff eh?

trinest said:
HTC Pro 7 and HTC HD 7 look like good phones.
They might even have a decent OS if you can install Android on them like you could the HD2.

Choc

Banned
6.5 winmo sucked :D

iphone has tether if your telco allows it. Only optus in australia charges more for the tether access

Choc said:
Honestly, i don't know.

But it's like this

Foxtel is not metered on Next G phones

Foxtel download is not metered on Telstra

For them to meter Xbox 360 Foxtel would be dumb when compared to those two.

No doubt.

But I"m just saying, it would be foolish to assume Telstra is that logical. Yeah, they've been on a roll lately, but it's still Telstra.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Mar said:
When does Kirby Epic Yarn come out in Aus? I guess with it being Nintendo I'd be looking at 2015.

Europe and Australia are getting it in 2011.

Import it from the US.

Mar

VOOK said:
Europe and Australia are getting it in 2011.

Import it from the US.

Is it out over there? I just watched the quick look for the game on giant bomb and had a sudden compulsion to buy a Wii and the game for my wife. Thankfully, Nintendo will ensure getting the game will be difficult so I will most likely not bother.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Mar said:
Is it out over there? I just watched the quick look for the game on giant bomb and had a sudden compulsion to buy a Wii and the game for my wife. Thankfully, Nintendo will ensure getting the game will be difficult so I will most likely not bother.

Yes it's out now. We're possibly getting Mario Sports Mix instead this year, but probably not.

DKCR is on though.

Alright, so does anyone know of a cheap place to buy Fallout 3 GOTY (PAL)? I've tried all the usual UK suspects (Zavvi, 365games, etc) and while the prices are good none of them have it in stock!

It's like it has been withdrawn from sale for New Vegas' release, which makes zero sense to me.

Fredescu

codswallop said:
Alright, so does anyone know of a cheap place to buy Fallout 3 GOTY (PAL)? I've tried all the usual UK suspects (Zavvi, 365games, etc) and while the prices are good none of them have it in stock!

It's like it has been withdrawn from sale for New Vegas' release, which makes zero sense to me.
Most of those stores don't keep a back catalog at all. Once their first shipment sells out it seems they rarely get another one in. Steam has it for $49 which isn't too bad considering the inflated cost of other titles, but I'm assuming you're getting it for 360 since you specify PAL. EB might even be the cheapest at $68 new or $60 pre owned, which probably isn't too far off what you could import it for anyway, and you can look up stock on their website.

Choc

Banned
Foxtel ready to repackage in Xbox deal
Neil Shoebridge
Foxtel will launch the first cut-down, low-priced version of its pay television service next month as part of a strategy to boost subscriber growth and compete against emerging internet TV rivals.

which is why it makes zero fucking sense to limit it to that where you can get fox already

Choc said:
Foxtel ready to repackage in Xbox deal
Neil Shoebridge
Foxtel will launch the first cut-down, low-priced version of its pay television service next month as part of a strategy to boost subscriber growth and compete against emerging internet TV rivals.

which is why it makes zero fucking sense to limit it to that where you can get fox already

So since they're already making one dumb decision, isn't it safe to assume a second will arrive in the lack of unmetred Foxtel through Xbox?

Fredescu said:
Most of those stores don't keep a back catalog at all. Once their first shipment sells out it seems they rarely get another one in.
I did not know that. Bugger. Will have to move faster in the future. Chalk it up to being out of the country and mostly away from the Internet for September.

Fredescu said:
I'm assuming you're getting it for 360 since you specify PAL. EB might even be the cheapest at $68 new or $60 pre owned, which probably isn't too far off what you could import it for anyway, and you can look up stock on their website.
Yup, for 360. I've played it on PC and never finished it but have almost totally moved away from gaming on PC (except for casual games, really) and do all my 'core' gaming on the 360. But I digress.

I'm just surprised that with the new one coming out it's not easy to find. ...and I wanted to do a massive playthrough of Fallout 3, the DLC, and the New Vegas. Guess the ol' PC might get some attention after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom