• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Ydahs said:
I still can't understand why.

Also, you guys think this thread is moderated? Doubt many mods visit the online board, less so a sticky about things they don't understand.

I was wondering this. Whether we could say something super inflammatory that would just get lost in the pages.

If a mod is reading this though they should speak out more, be part of the community!
Red Scarlet used to chat with us a lot :(

trinest

Clipper said:
news.com.au is reporting that parity has been reached, but xe.com, the site I've been using to track the rate doesn't agree...

This could be because xe only gives you the conversion every 10 minutes, and it seems that it fell a little immediately upon hitting parity, possibly all within that one 10 minute period. Is it time to celebrate yet?
At its top today it was 1.04 but it was only for a few seconds or something according to the yahoo graph thing.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
hamchan said:
I was wondering this. Whether we could say something super inflammatory that would just get lost in the pages.

If a mod is reading this though they should speak out more, be part of the community!
Red Scarlet used to chat with us a lot :(

:( yes that was nice to know we were under the wing of someone.

we should work hard to get an ausgaf mod!

Ventron

Kritz said:
we could all post blackface for a page and see if anything happens.

youwantmirriondorrar.jpg

I think an Aussie did get banned for posting that in an OT thread at one point. He had a Mudkip for his avatar.

mandiller

So yeah, I'm back from the Duke Nukem Forever event. The game was a lot of fun. It's the same demo that has been shown off recently. I got to play through it a few times as it wasn't too busy. After about an hour or two everyone had already played it at least once.

I won't go too much into it. If you've already seen a video runthrough of the demo you'll know what it's like. The graphics were quite nice (for a 12-year-old game!). It was running on a PC but I think it was the 360 code. It wasn't as sharp and high res as PC game would be. You played it with a wired 360 pad though.

Controls were fine and the weapons were cool. A lot of the old favourites are back in there plus at least one new one (rail gun). They all felt really good, especially the riper and also the pipe bomb (which you detonate with your remote locking set of keys :lol )

Some 2K Games reps were there but Gearbox wasn't :'( which was a real shame. I really wanted to hear what they had to say and ask some questions. They will however turn up at about 5:30pm, so if you have a chance to go head there in the next hour or two. I certainly wasn't going to stick around for 5 or 6 hours. I really wish the Mana Bar had put on their flyer when Gearbox was going to show up, because I would have turned up later if that was the case.

Still, the game was fun (It's actually real after all these years) and I got a free Duke shirt too!

Oh, and no photos/videos were allowed :-/

markot

Banned
GAaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

Settlers 7 is on sale at Gamers gate for $15 >.>

BUT

I am boycotting Ubisoft and its terrrible drm....

But.... $15 >.>...

I dunno what to do...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
markot said:
GAaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

Settlers 7 is on sale at Gamers gate for $15 >.>

BUT

I am boycotting Ubisoft and its terrrible drm....

But.... $15 >.>...

I dunno what to do...

Bah get over it, it's $15!

I'll buy it for that much when it's on sale on steam.:lol

Mar said:
It's Amir0x. For some reason, he's got a license to be an ass.

One day I'd love to hear the story of how he achieved this status.
In general, the unfortunate thing is that, unlike a regular forum member, if a moderator adds nothing to discussion except antagonism and negativity, there is no ability for you to add them to your ignore list. While it seems fair that a moderator cannot be ignored, it also seems fair to expect that a moderator should add something to discussion beyond those things I mentioned.

Since your avatar has reminded me, I just started playing through Castlevania (PS3 region free FTW!) and I'm enjoying it. The camera can be a pain, but the combat is good (although the 'ranged' cross attack could have done with a little less range), the boss fights are great, and the art is phenomenal. The writing is... inconsistent. The text intros are a mixed bag, but Patrick Stewart's narration of them is driving me crazy, I just mute the TV now when he starts up and read them for myself. I imagine them being narrated by Mako :)

On the bright side, Natasha McElhone and Robert Carlyle are excellent.

HolyCheck

I THGIGBIN UR GYUFCJMI8NG FYCJKED TTGERE NEI8SUTER FUSI!
UT TIOG THE AUSGAF I WOUYDL THYOE EHWN DRUNK F9OHKME SO IHERE I GUICIHNG AM. CPASTO LOCK ??

HolyCheck

nah mang. am at my mums.

im thinking of cancellign my melboruen trip i n december

so i can go to NZ in january.

i know some one who has a farm up north in NZ and has said i can go stay at her place (she said house.. but i just want to throw up a tent in a field some where)

anyone tried anything like that? live a month in a tent in the middles of nwoehre?

Aon

Speaking as a Melbournian, I can only recommend other places for your trips and speaking as a scout, I can only remember camping for a month when you're either hiking about somewhere with awesome views, so that you feel like you're accomplishing something, or when you're with some rad people.

As long as you can find something for yourself to do or are with people, then go for it!

Mar

endlessflood said:
Since your avatar has reminded me, I just started playing through Castlevania (PS3 region free FTW!) and I'm enjoying it. The camera can be a pain, but the combat is good (although the 'ranged' cross attack could have done with a little less range), the boss fights are great, and the art is phenomenal. The writing is... inconsistent. The text intros are a mixed bag, but Patrick Stewart's narration of them is driving me crazy, I just mute the TV now when he starts up and read them for myself. I imagine them being narrated by Mako :)

On the bright side, Natasha McElhone and Robert Carlyle are excellent.

I haven't played it yet, it's sitting on my coffee table. I want to 1k Dead Rising 2 first because I know if I move on now I will most likely never find the time to go back to it again.

I also bought Silent Hill 1 yesterday, which is the only Silent Hill game I never owned nor played. Strange, as it's probably my most loved series. When I'll have the time to play that... Well, who knows.

Syth_Blade22 said:
I THGIGBIN UR GYUFCJMI8NG FYCJKED TTGERE NEI8SUTER FUSI!
UT TIOG THE AUSGAF I WOUYDL THYOE EHWN DRUNK F9OHKME SO IHERE I GUICIHNG AM. CPASTO LOCK ??

Remember this post with pride.
And prejudice.

AnkhWeasel said:
Remember this post with pride.
And prejudice.

Haha.

When we are wiped from the Earth and nothing but plastic and silicon remains, archaeologists of future civilisations will believe this is ancient English.

:(

Bernbaum

Several things:

1) Brisbane played their sloppiest game of football this season last night. An own goal? Way to fuck up fellas.

2) Gazunta's game, and Krome's final swansong - The Legend of Guardians The Owls of Ga'hoole is a remarkably fun experience. I spent a good chunk of last week playing it and loved it to bits. Those of you who have me on your friends list will see I have 950/1000 GS on the game. The flight controls are perfect, the environments look stunning (especially with the day/night cycle) and there's a tonne of neat flourishes here and there that I didn't expect from a title like this. Go play it.

3) The old Pandemic building near the valley is being knocked down.

4) Vooks is celebrating 10 years of being a thing on the internet. Nice banners Vook!

KAP151

Aw shit.

I didn't even know this thread existed. Thought the Ausgaf thread on Gaming got nuked to orbit and was never to return!

Axiom

Just got back from Armageddon, had fun, feet killing me, wallet empty, noted women have a thing for feeling scarves

Cohsae

Syth_Blade22 said:
Ugh I think I drank too much lastnight.
You and me both brother.
Then me and 2 mates played several hours of New Super Mario Bros Wii. Played from the start through to about halfway through World 7 in one sitting.
It
Was
Awesome

MrSerrels

Maybe it's just me, but Castlevania's really been shitting me. But still I keep playing.

The fact that it's broken into levels the way it is just shatters any sense of place the game has. The way they end is just ridiculous. The way it breaks the game to teach you about a new move/weapon has the same effect.

The camera just jolts all over the place constantly.

The climbing sections should be a strong point, but it just feels so guided and constantly breaks the consistency. For example, you can only run to the left while hanging when the level design requires it. You can only spring off the wall when the design requires it, you can only hook onto something when the design requires it. There's just no consistency so, again, no feeling of place.

Design wise it really shits me. And yeah, the writing is terrible, and to whoever mentioned the narration: it's bizarre, and just ridiculously heavy handed.

The combat is great though! Probably the real saving grace of the game. Well balanced, love the shadow magic stuff. For some reason I'm finding the game compulsive - prob the combat and the pacing, which is really strong.

Yeah, off-topic and ranty. But I've never felt so compelled to keep playing a game that annoyed me so much.

Bernbaum

Having never completed a Castlevania game, the one thing that would appeal to me (that is, nonlinear Metroidvania-style exploration and item hunting) appears to be lacking. I was hoping for a third-person action adventure take on the formula, but alas, I'll just have to play Arkham Asylum instead.

I've also decided that I've given up on PC gaming.

Further explanation that clarifies my decision is still pending- I'm still trying to figure out the best wording so that evlcookie doesn't send a pitchfork-wielding mob around to burn down my house and loved ones.

Waikis

Bernbaum said:

Further explanation that clarifies my decision is still pending- I'm still trying to figure out the best wording so that evlcookie doesn't send a pitchfork-wielding mob around to burn down my house and loved ones.

P3Mzi.gif

Nemesis_

MrSerrels said:
Maybe it's just me, but Castlevania's really been shitting me. But still I keep playing.

The fact that it's broken into levels the way it is just shatters any sense of place the game has. The way they end is just ridiculous. The way it breaks the game to teach you about a new move/weapon has the same effect.

The camera just jolts all over the place constantly.

The climbing sections should be a strong point, but it just feels so guided and constantly breaks the consistency. For example, you can only run to the left while hanging when the level design requires it. You can only spring off the wall when the design requires it, you can only hook onto something when the design requires it. There's just no consistency so, again, no feeling of place.

Design wise it really shits me. And yeah, the writing is terrible, and to whoever mentioned the narration: it's bizarre, and just ridiculously heavy handed.

The combat is great though! Probably the real saving grace of the game. Well balanced, love the shadow magic stuff. For some reason I'm finding the game compulsive - prob the combat and the pacing, which is really strong.

Yeah, off-topic and ranty. But I've never felt so compelled to keep playing a game that annoyed me so much.

I don't mind anything you've put here, but the combat is so fucking awful. Especially in a game of this length, a God Of War Western-style design for combat does not fit at all. There's so little variability and the Shadow Magic is just a damage modifier.

I also agree though that breaking it up really pulls you out of the atmosphere of the game, but at the same time it allows for the backtracking that the classic games also had.

Being a CV fan, it's not that great. But it's still a competent action game.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Bernbaum said:
Having never completed a Castlevania game, the one thing that would appeal to me (that is, nonlinear Metroidvania-style exploration and item hunting) appears to be lacking. I was hoping for a third-person action adventure take on the formula, but alas, I'll just have to play Arkham Asylum instead.

It's not a big deal Bern :D . I know people who have gone from console to PC and PC to console. I can understand why some people would quit PC gaming. It can be frustrating at times if shit doesn't work.

I know for me if steam chat and the ausgaf community didn't exist i would have most likely gone back to consoles. But i find the community aspect to be lacking on the console side when i compare it to the PC side and on top of playing games while talking shit to other people, it's hard to give up.

Omikron

evlcookie said:
It's not a big deal Bern :D . I know people who have gone from console to PC and PC to console. I can understand why some people would quit PC gaming. It can be frustrating at times if shit doesn't work.

I know for me if steam chat and the ausgaf community didn't exist i would have most likely gone back to consoles. But i find the community aspect to be lacking on the console side when i compare it to the PC side and on top of playing games while talking shit to other people, it's hard to give up.

I used to be a massive console player until roughly the first xbox came out, then I completely changed to be a mostly PC kinda guy, sure I have owned the odd console here and there (mostly Nintendo stuff), but value for money and time wise, the PC is where it is at, and funnily enough, I think I have a lot to thank the current console generation to thank for that. The way they have slowed the technology development curve down to extend the life of consoles has allowed my current PC to last an incredible amount of time at the top end of performance. :D

PS> Could someone invite me to AusGAF group... http://steamcommunity.com/id/omi11 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom