• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilonv1

WTF THERES NO NRL ON THIS

AND ONLY ONE FOX SPORTS CHANNEL?@!?

The Sports package offers these live streamed channels: FOX SPORTS PLAY, ESPN, Eurosport and FUEL TV. FOX SPORTS PLAY is an Xbox 360 unique channel that will be specially programmed to feature a collection of Australia’s most-loved sports programming including Hyundai A-League Football, Barclays Premier League Football, Rugby Union Spring Tour involving the Wallabies, KFC Twenty20 Big Bash, India v New Zealand Test Cricket, Live Boxing, ATP World Tour Tennis Finals and many more.

INDIA VERSUS NEW ZEALAND?! WTF

edit: so Telstra have the exclusive rights to streaming AFL/NRL. Fuck them

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Go startrackexpress (and maybe ms)

Create a website that only allows internet explorer the ability to calculate measurements for despatch connotes. Update website after 400 years, but only update the front of it, which can't be rendered by IE on the mac since microsoft hasn't udpated it in oh i don't know, 5 years or so. Then deny the ability to calculate measurements on anything you think is netspace which is chrome and safari and firefox. Allow opera to work but because it doesn't render it properly it doesn't actually calculate the measurements.

Oh now i have to actually use math and a real calculator. this is no good

Can someone ask Nintendo why they don't make many games I want to play any more and why my midnight-launch-day-one-Wii hasn't been played since Mario Galaxy was released?

I'm sure the answer is "it's not you, it's me"... on both sides.

And then ask Microsoft why they're adding all this crap no one wants to their console instead of spending money on games? I've never used Twitter or Facebook on the 360 -- don't even know how to, not that I want to -- and I sure as hell aren't going to use Foxtel. If I wanted it I'd sign up the 'regular' way instead of using my puny Internet allowance to watch repeats of dreck littered with way too many ads (why I cancelled a couple of years back). Tell them to use my Gold subscription fees to add features I want.

Ugh. End of work day punchy mood.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Choc said:
I wonder if Serrells will send Nintendo my question

:p

Choc ask it properly, and with things Fredescu says because you might get an answer.

There is no doubt region locking is going to be a problem.

codswallop said:
Can someone ask Nintendo why they don't make many games I want to play any more and why my midnight-launch-day-one-Wii hasn't been played since Mario Galaxy was released?

Sorry dude, that's just because you're ignorant. There has been plenty of great Wii games out since Super Mario Galaxy.

pilonv1

VOOK said:
Choc ask it properly, and with things Fredescu says because you might get an answer.

There is no doubt region locking is going to be a problem.

Sorry dude, that's just because you're ignorant. There has been plenty of great Wii games out since Super Mario Galaxy.

Ignorant because he has different tastes?

The answer was in his post, it's not for him and he's not for it. Once you accept that and move on things are fine.

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:
I will definitely send that question, but I can't guarantee a response!

I suspect you would get a chest beating the ACCC cant do shit to us

and if you get that answer back i would then send them the court documents where both sony and microsoft were absolutely belted for region locking their consoles and mod chips became legal

i'd then send them the legal document from why sony could block mod chips now (region free PS3 is the reason)

EDIT: On the foxtel thing.

1. Telstra will be unmetered i can almost guarantee it....

2. The multi-room thing is dumb, especially when its not the same service across both rooms. Therefore how can they charge you in that way

3. The location thing is just setting this thing up for fail. Are we that stupid in Australia that we can't negotiate proper usage deals? Sky in the UK does not have this issue. If you can't get Sky you can still get Sky360

VOOK

pilonv1 said:
Ignorant because he has different tastes?

The answer was in his post, it's not for him and he's not for it. Once you accept that and move on things are fine.

I honestly don't give a shit what anyone else does. I've got bigger things to worry about.

Also Fuck Julia Gillard.

There is no way Greg will answer a question that basically accuses them going afoul of the ACCC. If you want a question about region locking answered then ask it not like a total fuckwit.

Nemesis_

VOOK said:
I honestly don't give a shit what anyone else does. I've got bigger things to worry about.

Also Fuck Julia Gillard.

There is no way Greg will answer a question that basically accuses them going afoul of the ACCC. If you want a question about region locking answered then ask it not like a total fuckwit.

Choc isn't very subtle and I don't think he knows how to be. =/

MrSerrels

Choc said:
I suspect you would get a chest beating the ACCC cant do shit to us

and if you get that answer back i would then send them the court documents where both sony and microsoft were absolutely belted for region locking their consoles and mod chips became legal

i'd then send them the legal document from why sony could block mod chips now (region free PS3 is the reason)

EDIT: On the foxtel thing.

1. Telstra will be unmetered i can almost guarantee it....

2. The multi-room thing is dumb, especially when its not the same service across both rooms. Therefore how can they charge you in that way

3. The location thing is just setting this thing up for fail. Are we that stupid in Australia that we can't negotiate proper usage deals? Sky in the UK does not have this issue. If you can't get Sky you can still get Sky360

I sent you a PM mate, could you have a quick check.

VOOK said:
There has been plenty of great Wii games out since Super Mario Galaxy.
There have been a few, but I just can't get over my ambivalence for the whole system.

When it launched I was more excited for the whole future of gaming than I'd been for years (probably a combination of marketing and hype), and I feel so let down by the crush of 'family' and 'waggle' titles that hold no interest to me whatsoever that I can't even bring myself to turn it on, let alone buy a new game for it.

If I can find Mario Galaxy 2 cheap before Christmas I'll give that a go, I think, but I really want Nintendo to release new IPs that cater to the gamers among us. Not more brain training, not vitality sensors, not hand-holding patents, but games! for gamers!

Nemesis_

codswallop said:
There have been a few, but I just can't get over my ambivalence for the whole system.

When it launched I was more excited for the whole future of gaming than I'd been for years (probably a combination of marketing and hype), and I feel so let down by the crush of 'family' and 'waggle' titles that hold no interest to me whatsoever that I can't even bring myself to turn it on, let alone buy a new game for it.

If I can find Mario Galaxy 2 cheap before Christmas I'll give that a go, I think, but I really want Nintendo to release new IPs that cater to the gamers among us. Not more brain training, not vitality sensors, not hand-holding patents, but games! for gamers!

Because Microsoft and Sony are putting so much money into new IPs too!

VOOK

Serrels if you send that question, it is one we do want answered. Least tidy it up :p

Nemesis556 said:
Because Microsoft and Sony are putting so much money into new IPs too!
I already end-of-work-day-punchy-mood bitched about Microsoft doing the same thing earlier. They're wasting all their money on 'features' I don't give a crap about.

I can feel a 'get off my lawn' coming on.

Sooo... anyone got recommendations for bedsheet sets? Ours need replacement so we're looking at getting a nice set from the US.

Nemesis_

MrSerrels said:
Not to derail, but Sony has invested quite a lot in new IPs this gen I reckon.

I feel that Sony didn't have any worthwhile IPs before that though. Nintendo did, hence why they stuck. Now, though, Sony are just pushing out sequels to everything. Similar with Microsoft.

I own all three consoles and enjoy it all, but I don't think it's fair to blast Nintendo for not creating new IPs, when they have created a new experience at least, and applied it to their already great IPs.

Microsoft and Sony also created new IPs, but since then they've just created more and more sequels.

I don't care in the big scheme of things, but I just didn't think it was fair to point out that Nintendo didn't do something specifically when others didn't either.

Anyone had their mail stolen before? Waiting on about four packages from various places, all of whom are reliable and have done business with before. Been waiting for some stuff for two weeks when it generally takes one or so, and theft is the only conclusion logical at this point in time as the mailbox has been empty the last few days. Am I shit out of luck and jolly well fucked when it comes to any recourse, or is there some international or domestic mail delay that has been ongoing?

Even if they turn up, it's probably time for a P.O Box.

Nemesis556 said:
I just didn't think it was fair to point out that Nintendo didn't do something specifically when others didn't either.
Probably not, but they've been doing it for longer which is why--to me--it's more noticeable. Their IPs have been run into the ground for so long it's demoralising. Though to be fair Mario Galaxy was still a great game, I'm just talking more about the 'Party' games (not that I'm in the demographic) and Mario Soccer, Basketball, etc.

But what do the fans know? We asked for--and got--Twilight Princess and though it was good it was hardly a game changer. That settles it, I'm taking and looking for recommendations for Wii games in the last two years.

fappenmeister said:
Anyone had their mail stolen before?
We've had a surprising amount of good luck with mail before, might be our area but Australia Post have left packages on our doorstep--clearly visible from the street--and they've been OK. We did have a few small letters go missing a couple of times but nothing ever major.

That said, we've also had a lot of bad luck: Had a 1L Hofbrau stein (used and purchased in Englischergarten in Munich) totally pulverised and we are still waiting on a package from Serbia we went last month that we don't think is going to get here, despite both going to a PO Box.

markot

Banned
Put a lock on your box if you have that problemo >.<

Also if you can set up a webcam or something to record the mailbox. Its a serious offense!

Bernbaum

So Sydney studio Nnooo have upped their promotion of Spirit Hunters, have slightly changed their PR tack, and recently hired a few people. Here's hoping they're the next Firemint or Halfbrick.

Bernbaum

Well, there's a Metallica concert on tonight. That explains the higher concentration of Jim Beam soaked bogans in town - a group which requires quite a considerable population spike to be noticed in good ol' Brisbane.

trinest said:
HTC Pro 7 and HTC HD 7 look like good phones.

Oh my god that looks exactly like the sort of phone I want. I hope when it comes to me buying a new phone Android can be installed on it because I'm not sure Win7mob will be my thing.

rass

fappenmeister said:
Anyone had their mail stolen before?
a couple of weeks ago i came home and found an old asian lady rummaging through my mailbox. She either didn't speak english or didn't want to talk to me because she ignored the hell out of me when I asked what she was doing. I don't think she stole anything :(

not quite the same thing but someone stole a parking ticket off my (and all the other staff's) cars when I worked at a supermarket - we all showed up for work complaining about a 'late payment' notice for a fine none of us had received. Damn kids etc.

Choc

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
Choc isn't very subtle and I don't think he knows how to be. =/

It's called hard hitting journalism. Why fucking sugar coat it

i understand that over email it means they can ignore it, but in person i'd ask it and i'd ask it that way

thats when you get the emotional response and the true response rather then the scripted response

if they take offence they lower tehir guard and go nuts, then you get the true answer

its how ACA and Today Tonight work (and im not condoning their shit) but it gets results.....

serrells im sure will clean it up

mark i'll reply to pm soon

edit: everyone should get a PO Box. Best $90 per year you will ever spend

Also if you are wroried about identitytheft, sign up to Veda MyCreditAlert. Every time your credit file is changed they contact you to ensure it was you who signed up for whatever it is.

Megadrive said:
Oh my god that looks exactly like the sort of phone I want. I hope when it comes to me buying a new phone Android can be installed on it because I'm not sure Win7mob will be my thing.
If you're not familiar with it, check out the xda-developers.com site. If anyone can make one mobile OS work on another device, you'll read about it there. A number of HTC Windows Mobile 6 phones have been able to run Android in the past so it doesn't seem outside the realms of possibility that Windows Phone 7 devices will be able to do the same thing.

legend166

The whole obession with new IPs never really bothered me. As long as the idea itself it new and fresh, I don't really care what coat of paint it has on. The only series where I think the IP is holding back the game design is Zelda, and that's only recently. It's as though they're weighed down in the expectations of what a Zelda game should be. I don't think that happens with any of Nintendo's other IPs. Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are more fresh, innovative and new than 95% of games made today, yet it's in the most milked franchise of all time, essentially.

I guess a good example is the new Kirby game. That game has a ridiculously good art style that I've never seen in a game before. Would it really make it a better game if it had a new character?

I don't know, I just think the desperation for new IPs is misguided. It should be new game play ideas and features people want.

legend166 said:
The whole obession with new IPs never really bothered me.
A good point, in theory, but in reality sequels to existing games only tend to have minor changes in style or gameplay for fear of losing existing customers.

Once a series becomes long-running it needs to innovate in order to avoid becoming stale. Mario, Prince of Persia, etc all have been around for long enough that they need to inject some sort of freshness. On the flipside you have newer games that innovated up front, but have changed little in the next few sequels: Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, God of War, etc.

I'd rather see new ideas that ultimately fail, like Mirror's Edge than iterate, like Madden.

So, yeah, in theory makes sense but in practice, we as consumers don't know what the hell it is we want. Case in point: Prince of Persia. They release Sands of Time, we want darker! They release Warrior Within, we hate it. The third one goes back to the old staples, no one buys it. The fourth totally changes it up, people say it's too different. The fifth 'returns to its roots', everyone says they're happy then complain it hasn't changed enough. We don't have a clue!

Also: Thanks Agyar for pointing out Fallout 3 earlier today. Just picked it up -- great price!

Fredescu

codswallop said:
A good point, in theory, but in reality sequels to existing games only tend to have minor changes in style or gameplay for fear of losing existing customers.
In Nintendo's case, you're wrong, in reality, they don't.

Bernbaum

codswallop said:
I don't agree with that at all. Games, unlike film, can rely to a high degree on brand recognition to a point where the developers are afforded a reasonable level of creative flexibility when developing sequels. Yeah, there might be fan uproar once they release, but the games still sell.

Mass Effect 2 took some drastic departures from the original, and who can forget the dubious surprise that Metal Gear Solid 2 presented to fans once the protagonist was revealed. Fuck, look at the SWAT series. Then there's Super Metroid to Metroid Prime through to Corruption! Geez, we could go on for ages.

Fredescu said:
In Nintendo's case, you're wrong, in reality, they don't.
Mario Party, Wario Ware, heck even Mario Kart all have a crapload of similarities throughout the series. The "Mario" series usually adds in one mechanic which can have a big change or a small change, but the games are still very similar. Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy are still obviously related.

Bernbaum said:
Then there's Super Metroid to Metroid Prime through to Corruption! Geez, we could go on for ages.
The first three Metroid games were pretty similar, then only a new game (Super Metroid) two entire generations later. And then only a new game another generation later. But the Prime series were all pretty similar again. And now we have Other M which is different again, but that's only after three of the same game.

Of course there will always be exceptions that can prove the point one way or another, but I stand by my opinion that until a series is "big", sequels in that series will (most times) change little and iterate instead of innovate. And then when they're really big (say, Halo or Call of Duty big), they won't take big risks until they're unpopular (like Need for Speed, even then it's returning to a more lucrative time with Hot Pursuit).

Fredescu

codswallop said:
Mario Party, Wario Ware, heck even Mario Kart all have a crapload of similarities throughout the series. The "Mario" series usually adds in one mechanic which can have a big change or a small change, but the games are still very similar. Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy are still obviously related.
Mario Kart, definitely. Mario Party is and always has been rubbish, fuck that game. Wario Ware is always different because it's always based on different hardware, so that's a pretty bad example. I'm not going to list the masses of games that invalidate your theory in the face of one that doesn't because it would be kinda boring.

Fredescu said:
I'm not going to list the masses of games that invalidate your theory
Like I said, there will always be examples to prove either opinion, but my opinion is still that we're not seeing many new IPs because publishers are reluctant to take a risk on something consumers don't recognise. Which is why games in a series iterate and don't innovate.

It's the same reason they've signed Charlie Sheen for the 86th season of Two and a Half Men, because it's easier to show the same dreck than come up with an unproven, innovate premise.

codswallop said:
Like I said, there will always be examples to prove either opinion, but my opinion is still that we're not seeing many new IPs because publishers are reluctant to take a risk on something consumers don't recognise. Which is why games in a series iterate and don't innovate.

It's the same reason they've signed Charlie Sheen for the 86th season of Two and a Half Men, because it's easier to show the same dreck than come up with an unproven, innovate premise.

The problem is that nintendo has so many existing IP's that fans really want to see.

Mario, pokemon, mario party, Smash brothers, zelda, mario kart, kirby, wario, wario ware, pikmin, metroid, animal crossing, fire emblem, nintendogs, brain age etc (i realise some are DS games). On top of that they have to make new games in the wii line to keep casual gamers interested.

Then there are older titles which they decide to revive like punch-out, star fox, donkey kong and kid icarus.

People want to see these franchises and of course nintendo wants to make games that already have an audience.

It doesn't leave much space for new IP's.

Personally i only expect a couple of new IP's from nintendo each gen. They have such a huge catalog of fantastic IP's where they can try new ideas so they don't need to keep making to many new IP's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom