• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar

evlcookie said:
New Macbook Airs Mar. You should totally buy one!

Nah, I'm staying the fuck away from any future MBAs. The next Macbook I buy will be powerful, to lessen the frustration.

Agyar

So is anyone interested in Costume Quest? It looks interesting but I get the feeling it could be boring after an hour or two, regardless of the charming visuals and setting.

In other news, I started playing Lara Croft with my girlfriend. She is managing surprisingly well, considering a lot of games make her motion sick and the controls are unlike anything she's played before. Completed the first level (in a woeful time mind you) but I can forsee playing it coop to completion.

Mar

Agyar said:
So is anyone interested in Costume Quest? It looks interesting but I get the feeling it could be boring after an hour or two, regardless of the charming visuals and setting.

I love Double Fine, but a JRPG style video game is not interesting to me in the slightest.

I downloaded the trial of Costume Quest last night and played for about 20 mins.

Seems OK, very charming... seems like the kinda game that would be ideal for relaxing on a Sunday afternoon or something. For some reason I found the lack of any voice work very jarring.

Agyar

Mar said:
I love Double Fine, but a JRPG style video game is not interesting to me in the slightest.

The GB quicklook reminded me a lot of the Penny Arcade games, which were a similar mix of adventure/puzzle-solving and turn-based combat. In the PA games, the combat was definitely the weak point and while it is polished and functional, it got stale really quickly and made getting through the rest of the game a bit of a chore. All in all I enjoyed them but I don't know if I want to throw myself into that type of game again, especially without the extra hook the PA humour provided in those games.

rass

Rahk said:
Probably going shopping on the weekend. Might end up with a Ninja 250 though, since it's much cheaper.
I'm picking up my Bandit on Saturday at 9am, can't fucking wait :)
One of my mates rides an '08 Ninja 250 and loves the hell out of it, I doubt you'd be disappointed! (just don't drop it, fairing are expensive to fix haha)

Had my first million seller on Game Dev Story last night, 'Mactionary' Action/Mystery. Game is ruining my life.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mar said:
Nah, I'm staying the fuck away from any future MBAs. The next Macbook I buy will be powerful, to lessen the frustration.

I thought you might :lol

I don't understand the point of them. Reinstalling the OS is frustrating as fuck and requires more money, they should seriously ship with a usb stick as a way to install the OS if it dies in the ass.

I look forward to 5 people ordering one.

I have no interest in costume quest either. I have no idea why, it's Tim, so it should be good but i watched the trailer and it did nothing for me. I think i was the only hater in the thread, But that shouldn't surprise anyone.

rass

evlcookie said:
I thought you might :lol

I don't understand the point of them. Reinstalling the OS is frustrating as fuck and requires more money, they should seriously ship with a usb stick as a way to install the OS if it dies in the ass.

I look forward to 5 people ordering one.

I have no interest in costume quest either. I have no idea why, it's Tim, so it should be good but i watched the trailer and it did nothing for me. I think i was the only hater in the thread, But that shouldn't surprise anyone.
isn't that exactly what the new ones do?

yes, yes they do.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4399

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
The lack of voicework in the Penny Arcade games detracted from the experience also. Voice actors can't be cheap.

Hey look the one other person in the world that bought those games.

Speaking of buying games, I am still waiting on Kane and Lynch 2 from Zavvi. It's been a month now and as of today they can investigate, so hopefully they send me a new one already so I can put in into my drawer and not play it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
rass said:
isn't that exactly what the new ones do?

yes, yes they do.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4399

Oh that's excellent. I haven't looked into it much at all, But i'm really glad they have done that.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3982/windows-phone-7-review/32

The UI is a thing of beauty. Microsoft got the style, customization and performance one hundred percent right on this thing. It makes iOS feel old and utilitarian. It’s funny to think that Microsoft was the one to out-simplify Apple in the UI department.

Now i'm intrigued.

Bernbaum

Agyar said:
Hey look the one other person in the world that bought those games.
The PA games weren't what I wanted in PA game. The combat system was interesting but repetitive, the game structure was very barebones, and the thing I laughed at was the intro.

Costume Quest is yet another game I'll just have to wait for.

Fuck Shinji Claus, Obsidi Claus just came for me :D

2075002.jpg

Now if only I could play it :(

Hey, could I get around the delay by using a VPN or similar witchcraft? (without the risk of getting myself banned or something of course)

Omikron

BanShunsaku said:
Hey, could I get around the delay by using a VPN or similar witchcraft? (without the risk of getting myself banned or something of course)

Worked for me for Civ... VPN'd to US, unlocked game, turned steam into offline mode, played. :D

Omi said:
Worked for me for Civ... VPN'd to US, unlocked game, turned steam into offline mode, played. :D

I'm really tempted, tonight is going to be my only chance to play it until next week.

What VPN service did you use? (I'm a total VPN virgin, be gentle)

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
Costume Quest is yet another game I'll just have to wait for.

At this point I would probably buy DeathSpank: ToV first and even then, while I enjoyed DeathSpank a lot I have other stuff I want to buy and play first (ME2 and Dragon Age DLC, primarily). Pretty sure I'm going to meet the 2400 points target to get 800 back just through Bioware DLC.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
no one buying wp7 today :D?

The Old Spice guy gave me what I thought was a Windows Phone 7 last night, but it turned out to be a giant bar of chocolate shaped like a phone.

"LOOK AT THE PHONE. NOW BACK TO ME! THE PHONE IS NOW CHOCOLATE!"

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
Hey when does that spacebucks offer expire? I'm considering a splurge on all the ME1/ME2 DLC also.

It's during October, so last day to spend is the 31st. I've spent 400 already on the Overlord ME2 DLC but I'll probably buy Shadow Broker, Witch Hunt, Golems of Amgwhatever and something else to hit 2400.

Also, as if renters weren't already made to feel like lesser citizens in this country, the rental tenancy database provider TICA will be offering a service to agents/landlords that will notify them when a tenant lodges an application for another property. According to their website "tenants do not deserve the right to impose their habits on innocent landlords by claiming that housing is a human right" and that tenants should consider themselves privileged, as they were chosen over another applicant.

I guess we should just shut up and enjoy being cash cows for property investors, rights are for people with a mortgage.

giri

Agyar said:
It's during October, so last day to spend is the 31st. I've spent 400 already on the Overlord ME2 DLC but I'll probably buy Shadow Broker, Witch Hunt, Golems of Amgwhatever and something else to hit 2400.

Also, as if renters weren't already made to feel like lesser citizens in this country, the rental tenancy database provider TICA will be offering a service to agents/landlords that will notify them when a tenant lodges an application for another property. According to their website "tenants do not deserve the right to impose their habits on innocent landlords by claiming that housing is a human right" and that tenants should consider themselves privileged, as they were chosen over another applicant.

I guess we should just shut up and enjoy being cash cows for property investors, rights are for people with a mortgage.

The tennancy database additions are a gross violation of every persons right to privacy. It actually disgusts me that this has happened, i have no doubt they will be told to reverse it. The laws around this are fairly stringent.

But then, many argued that the police should have unfettered unrestricted access to the gocard database also.

Choc

Banned
giri said:
The tennancy database additions are a gross violation of every persons right to privacy. It actually disgusts me that this has happened, i have no doubt they will be told to reverse it. The laws around this are fairly stringent.

But then, many argued that the police should have unfettered unrestricted access to the gocard database also.

that is a load of shite. How is that even legal

Omikron

giri said:

Yep, that shit isn't on in my opinion.

Choc

Banned
that is the same as someone informing your employer you are applying for jobs elsewhere, which is illegal

this wont last

Agyar

Choc said:
that is the same as someone informing your employer you are applying for jobs elsewhere, which is illegal

this wont last

It looks like there's already some moves to legislate around the right to this type of information. The problem is tenants rights in Australia are pretty thing compared to workplace rights, as there's the idea that renting is just a temporary solution on the road to mortgaging your own home seems to bog down any attempts to put tenants on equal footing with landlords.

Mar

Agyar said:

It's hilarious how renters are treated in this country. I like to remain positive about it and believe it's because we are such a young nation compared to just about everywhere else. Because thinking any other way just paints most of our population (70% of people in Australia 'own' their home) as insensitive assholes.

Having said that, we have a terrific landlord. Don't know if that will change when we start applying for places soon, without expressly notifying him. But then, isn't that what the 2 weeks notice (out of lease) thing is all about anyway?

Wait, I just had a thought. Shouldn't the tenants be given prior notice that a landlord is looking to sell a property from under them, other than the 2 weeks they are legally supposed to?

Anyway, funny.

And on topic: We're all worse off if the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

There's been a few articles recently about the 'middle class poor' phenomenon of late as well. Where dual income middle class families are only just getting by. Wages are down and prices across the board are way up. Utilities, food, child care, etc, while at the same time rents and mortgages are bleeding people further, while wages almost don't move. Interesting times.

Choc

Banned
Mar said:
Wait, I just had a thought. Shouldn't the tenants be given prior notice that a landlord is looking to sell a property from under them, other than the 2 weeks they are legally supposed to?

in NSW unless its the end of the lease, the notice is 60 days.

Mar

Choc said:
in NSW unless its the end of the lease, the notice is 60 days.

Sure, but I'm saying. How about a database that informs tenants that the landlord has put the property on the market, regardless of those 60 days.

Anyway, fuck Dell. Trying to buy a server off them for tens of thousands of dollars, and not only could I hardly understand them on the phone, they couldn't understand me either. The girl I finally ended up talking to had such difficulty understanding even what university I was from, finally said she'll call back in half an hour. Presumably to ask someone to translate my english.

Fuck these companies outsourcing. If it was up to me I'd take my money elsewhere.

Choc

Banned
so gizmodo with the hyperbole...

There’s a million reasons why Windows Phone 7 matters. It’s the most important PC company in the world, battered, bruised and badly lagging, coming back to the next generation of PCs, after crashing on a bunch of rocks and abandoning ship. It’s potentially the most tectonic shift in mobile since the launch of iPhone and Android over three years ago. It’s Microsoft starting over and betting massively on its future. It’s a very different kind of Microsoft product. It could be the beginning of something truly great.

Mar said:
Anyway, fuck Dell. Trying to buy a server off them for tens of thousands of dollars, and not only could I hardly understand them on the phone, they couldn't understand me either.
You could try the Enterprise/Premier number? I haven't bought from them for a couple of years but they were always in Sydney and quite knowledgeable...

Also, the online quotes you can get at http://premier.ap.dell.com (last bookmarked link I have) are about as good as they'll give you anyway.

Edit: Oh well, http://premier.ap.dell.com doesn't seem to work, though http://premier.dell.com does but it doesn't believe the account I had previously registered and used exists.

So, fuck Dell.

Fredescu

Mar said:
Anyway, fuck Dell. Trying to buy a server off them for tens of thousands of dollars, and not only could I hardly understand them on the phone, they couldn't understand me either. The girl I finally ended up talking to had such difficulty understanding even what university I was from, finally said she'll call back in half an hour. Presumably to ask someone to translate my english.

Fuck these companies outsourcing. If it was up to me I'd take my money elsewhere.
The company I work for does a lot of projects from tiny to sorta big with server hardware and Dell are easily the worst to deal with according to absolutely everyone here. I work a lot closer to the pre sales here than I have anywhere before, and I've often wondered how people ended up buying IBM hardware but it's mostly because they're easy to buy stuff off. Given the choice I'd always use HP, but I never have the choice.

Oh, and ozgameshop have Split/Second for $35 if you were interested in trying it out.

Agyar

Choc said:
It’s potentially the most tectonic shift in mobile since the launch of iPhone and Android over three years ago. It’s Microsoft starting over and betting massively on its future. It’s a very different kind of Microsoft product. It could be the beginning of something truly great.

You trying to get a job writing copy for Microsoft's marketing team?

Mar

codswallop said:
You could try the Enterprise/Premier number? I haven't bought from them for a couple of years but they were always in Sydney and quite knowledgeable...

Also, the online quotes you can get at http://premier.ap.dell.com (last bookmarked link I have) are about as good as they'll give you anyway.

Edit: Oh well, http://premier.ap.dell.com doesn't seem to work, though http://premier.dell.com does but it doesn't believe the account I had previously registered and used exists.

So, fuck Dell.

Hah, man. I get a 'system is currently unavailable' error on that. Similar to when I try and customise a server and knock up an online quote. The page is broken.

It's all so frustrating and a good reason why I've become so jaded in IT. It's so hard to get anything done, let alone during an emergency. An academic has come to us with possible funding for new infrastructure, however the application needs to go in tomorrow. Getting a quote together in 2 days is just so damn hard. I mean, we have Dell reps on campus, but they are so hard to get hold of and no matter how much you tell them the urgency they don't report back.

It constantly amazes me how hard it is to give people money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom