• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Mine!

ZNr9s.jpg

If anyone is wondering, yes we're getting it in AU too.

Shaneus

If anyone's keen, the guy from the Old Spice ads is doing promos for WinPho7 at the Telstra building (not the Telstra Shop) on Lonsdale St. in Melbourne. I wanted to look at the phones they had but couldn't get to them from all the desperate, middle-aged women lining up to get a photo :(

Agyar

Shaneus said:
If anyone's keen, the guy from the Old Spice ads is doing promos for WinPho7 at the Telstra building (not the Telstra Shop) on Lonsdale St. in Melbourne. I wanted to look at the phones they had but couldn't get to them from all the desperate, middle-aged women lining up to get a photo :(

I hope there are people calling out Microsoft for riding Old Spice's marketing coat tails with this campaign. Surely they could have come up with a more original marketing strategy than "hey get the guy from the popular Old Spice ads and them make him act the same except for a Windows 7 phone high fives all round marketing team."

Random question...

Am I going to need to buy a step-up transformer to charge my iPhone in Japan? The Apple website isn't terribly helpful. Is there a spec sheet for the Aussie edition that can help me out?

For reference, Aussie voltage is 230V 60Hz and Japanese is 100V 50Hz/60Hz (frequency depends on which part of Japan you are).

Gazunta

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Random question...

Am I going to need to buy a step-up transformer to charge my iPhone in Japan? The Apple website isn't terribly helpful. Is there a spec sheet for the Aussie edition that can help me out?

For reference, Aussie voltage is 230V 60Hz and Japanese is 100V 50Hz/60Hz (frequency depends on which part of Japan you are).
Just get a plug adapter. I charged my iPhone all the time from the wall sockets in America. The big box thing your iPhone wall adapter goes into does all the voltage conversion.

...Or you could just use USB.

Agyar

Random question...

Probably not. What you should check is the charger/phone are compatible with 100V 50/60Hz. Most devices like phones etc are capable of dealing with 100-240v and both 50 and 60Hz, so all you'll need a plug adapter. Pretty sure the iPhone is compatible with the full range.

Shaneus

Agyar said:
I hope there are people calling out Microsoft for riding Old Spice's marketing coat tails with this campaign. Surely they could have come up with a more original marketing strategy than "hey get the guy from the popular Old Spice ads and them make him act the same except for a Windows 7 phone high fives all round marketing team."
This was in the Telstra building... it was probably Telstra who organised it.

Edit: Bam.

Edit #2: Nup, that's just one article... definitely looks like it's something MS did.

Bernbaum

Yeah but some of us like the gaudy colored oversized Australian ratings symbols obscuring our games' boxart.

I've seen about, in total, three maybe four minutes of RDR in action. Is fun?

legend166

Kotaku wrote an article explaining the situation regarding the Rock Band instruments:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/10/rock-band-3-update-ps3-instruments-delayed/

The excuse about "we buy directly from MadCatz Europe" makes no sense to me. Does that mean the instruments get shipped from China (where they are made), to Europe, then to Australia?

What's the point of that? Surely you call up MadCatz and say "Hey, we want to distribute your peripherals in Australia. Can we put in shipping orders so they can come straight from China instead of literally traveling around the world before they get to us?"

Gazunta said:
Just get a plug adapter. I charged my iPhone all the time from the wall sockets in America. The big box thing your iPhone wall adapter goes into does all the voltage conversion.

...Or you could just use USB.

Agyar said:
Probably not. What you should check is the charger/phone are compatible with 100V 50/60Hz. Most devices like phones etc are capable of dealing with 100-240v and both 50 and 60Hz, so all you'll need a plug adapter. Pretty sure the iPhone is compatible with the full range.
Thanks guys. I know it's standard for most devices, but when I look at stuff like the DS, I'm never quite sure.

I was pretty sure the regulator in the charger plug could handle whatever frequency (since USB voltage is DC anyway), but I wasn't sure if it could handle the lower voltage. I'll have to dig up the box and check it tonight.

Mar

Bernbaum said:

Multiplayer is terrible. I'll get around to the single player at some point.

The game is drop dead gorgeous though, no mistake about that.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Random question...

You probably need the world travel kit - http://store.apple.com/au/product/MB974ZM/B

Bernbaum said:

I loved the shit out of RDR single player. Never actually played any multi but by all accounts I didn't miss much.

Single player was fantastic though, my favourite Rockstar game by far.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
Kotaku wrote an article explaining the situation regarding the Rock Band instruments:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/10/rock-band-3-update-ps3-instruments-delayed/

The excuse about "we buy directly from MadCatz Europe" makes no sense to me. Does that mean the instruments get shipped from China (where they are made), to Europe, then to Australia?

What's the point of that? Surely you call up MadCatz and say "Hey, we want to distribute your peripherals in Australia. Can we put in shipping orders so they can come straight from China instead of literally traveling around the world before they get to us?"

as crazy as this sounds legend

China->UK->Australia

Agyar

rass said:
good luck finding one which accepts a 3 prong aussie plug :/

goddamn.

Most will and even the ones that don't will take a 2-prong, which is what the iPhone charger is. Also every shop at an international airport sells converters.

Rahk

Ok SydGAF. Someone with better organisation skills than I do organise something because I have shitty friends and am bored of staying at home on Fridays.

Ydahs

I've decided that my first iPod app is going to be a trivia application based on video games, which should help me get accustomed to programming in Obj-C.

So... where the hell do I get trivia questions from?! Do you guys recommend me reading the Iwata Asks series and gathering a bunch of questions from there? So far I've come up with... seven and most are about Mario :lol

:\

edit: scratch that, up to 72 questions, though most are still Nintendo related...

Deeku

Bernbaum said:
Only managed to complete the first Act last night, but it's looking to be the electronic entertainment equivalent of eating fresh blueberry pancakes off of Scarlett Johansson's ample bosom.
Sounds delightful!

Also, I just bought my first iphone game. And yes, so far Game Dev Story is pretty damn awesome.

rass

sooo…

<--- picks up bike at 7pm
<--- gets flashed by fixed speed camera at 7:50pm

goddammit. I've not had a speeding fine in the 7 years I've been on the road.

Do you guys know of any way my friend can tether her iPhone 4 somehow and use it to get her 360 on Live? Obviously it won't be fit for multiplayer and she'll need to go through a computer but she just wants to be connected. Any ideas? XP also

legend166 said:
I just realised that Australians are the only ones with the flags left over from the World Cup.

Yay.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410568

Sorry for busting your cool theory. I do love still having my flag though. :)

Neverender said:
Do you guys know of any way my friend can tether her iPhone 4 somehow and use it to get her 360 on Live? Obviously it won't be fit for multiplayer and she'll need to go through a computer but she just wants to be connected. Any ideas? XP also

Try asking in here too: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399487

Go into the settings app on the iPhone, then General -> Network -> Internet Tethering

Depending on which network she's with you can use it right away. Also some networks charge a fee for tethering.

An alternative would be to download the free trial of MyWi on Cydia, which creates a mobile wifi hotspot. Then connect to the computer.

And I have no idea if it would work, but if your friend happens to have the USB wireless adaptor for the 360, you might be able to directly connect the iPhone to the 360 without the computer.

Agyar

Trying to figure out if my iTunes account has been compromised. Woke up this morning to an invoice in my inbox for a purchase of Angry Birds Halloween from yesterday. I had a few dollars in store credit, which it used $1.19 of but it appears to be the only purchase made. According to my purchase history it was done at 00:24 on 22/10/2010. Further, it appears my credit card has been removed from the billing card details in my account.

I can't figure this out, as it doesn't appear to be the normal modus operandi for iTunes account hackers and there's no other charges on my credit card. I've already changed the iTunes account password and I'll contact Apple, but the whole thing is just a bit strange.

Agyar

trinest said:
Did you buy the game though? Maybe it took ages to process.

I didn't purchase it and it doesn't appear in either of my iTunes library or on my iPhone. Another strange thing is that there are 2 computers authorized to use my iTunes library, where there should only one. It would appear as though someone logged into my account on another computer and made the purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom