• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

I was really enjoying it, then it froze my entire PC and I had to reboot. Kinda killed the momentum.

I'm sure I'll get back in to it, but all those bugs!

markot

Banned
I am already thinking of the kind of character I will make for my second play through of NV >.<

First one was science/repair/speech and medicine. Next up will probably be sneak/melee/lockpick and barter.

Great game despite the flaws in the engine.

Bernbaum

Half page article on page 16 in today's Courier Mail on the state of the games development industry in Brisbane, as well as detailing the demise of Auran, Fuzzyeyes, Pandemic and Krome.

legend166

Choc, my keyboard hasn't shipped :|

I'm going to wander up to the JB Hifi at St Leonards at lunch and ask them what's happening with the game.

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
Half page article on page 16 in today's Courier Mail on the state of the games development industry in Brisbane, as well as detailing the demise of Auran, Fuzzyeyes, Pandemic and Krome.

Speaking of Auran going under, I think I threw out my copy of Fury when I moved. Thought about keeping it but I'm not really nostalgic about items like that and I doubt it'll reach any sort of collector's item status.

I should edit that GB wiki entry and add some more detail.

Fredescu

BanShunsaku said:
I'm officially obsessed with Fallout New Vegas.... It has now entered GOTY territory for me :D
Same. It's at least top 3 for me along with SC2 and ME2. Not sure what order they're going to go in yet, but I'm 22 hours into New Vegas and it feels like I've only scratched the surface.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Me3 was this year? Fark me. My top 3 so far then not im order would be me3, sc2 and.. Hmmm i cant pick a 3rd. They're the only games that have gotten me obssesed with them

Edit: and minecraft.. I forget its a game somedays. And janbo, im on my phone! So capitalisation is for chumps

hamchan

Games I really liked this year that I can remember:
Bayonetta
Mass Effect 2
God of War 3
Super Street Fighter 4
watching other people play Starcraft 2
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
Red Dead Redemption
Nier
Halo Reach
Alan Wake
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Heavy Rain
Bad Company 2
Picross 3D
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Persona 3 Portable
Civilization 5

Games I still need to beat:
Fallout New Vegas
Resonance of Fate
Dead Rising 2
Alpha Protocol
STALKER Call of Pripyat
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Infinite Space
Just Cause 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Sakura Wars: So Long My Love
Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Dragon Quest IX

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
God damn it im an idiot. Me2!

Also i think in the last 2 months i've watched more videos of people playing games than i have played in the last 1.5 years. Smh.

jambo

:lol

I've done the opposite. About 6 months ago I was mainly watching TV or movies, or listening to music on my PC whilst I chatted with people. Last few months has been all gaming. My Steam score rarely dips below 10 and my Raptr page is covered in achievement messages.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I don't even remember what i have played this year. I know i finished lara croft a few weeks back and thats about it. That was a great game, wonder when the co-op patch is out.

Agyar

evlcookie said:
I don't even remember what i have played this year. I know i finished lara croft a few weeks back and thats about it. That was a great game, wonder when the co-op patch is out.

Lara Croft is a good game, I've been playing through it coop with my girlfriend and she's really getting into it. The puzzles are logical enough that it doesn't take someone adept in video game tropes and paradigms to understand and complete them, which is a really big achievement for the game.

Fredescu

Damn, the PC version of Dragon Age 2 has gone back up on Game.com.au. They're listing the signature edition now at least, so I guess EB didn't get exclusivity. I think I might order it soon despite my misgivings about the combat and the shady attempt to get people to pre order way early. Here's my money Bioware, take it, I don't need it.

Agyar

Fredescu said:
Damn, the PC version of Dragon Age 2 has gone back up on Game.com.au. They're listing the signature edition now at least, so I guess EB didn't get exclusivity. I think I might order it soon despite my misgivings about the combat and the shady attempt to get people to pre order way early. Here's my money Bioware, take it, I don't need it.

I'm holding out because I want to see if the UK sites like 365games will have the same signature edition available for preorder. I want that edition, but I also don't want to pay 90aud for it.

Fredescu

Agyar said:
I'm holding out because I want to see if the UK sites like 365games will have the same signature edition available for preorder. I want that edition, but I also don't want to pay 90aud for it.
Ozgameshop lists it, it's just that they list only the PC version and there's no price attached. Zavvi and Game.co.uk have it up and available for pre order across all platforms.

Agyar

Fredescu said:
Ozgameshop lists it, it's just that they list only the PC version and there's no price attached. Zavvi and Game.co.uk have it up and available for pre order across all platforms.

I want to see if Ozgameshop will list the 360 version.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fredescu said:

Img broken!

giri

Rez said:
Thinking about Computer Science at Monash.

Do this at your peril. I did computer science major, and really, unless you really like learning about HDD reading schemes, thread scheduling, how compilers read code, all that sort of stuff, you'll fall off quickly. I liked it, but i like learning about that kind of thing.

I don't know about monash, but a lot of people enter these with out having read a lot of the course/subject descriptions in the 2nd and 3rd year subjects thinking "programming, easy".

Omikron

giri said:
Do this at your peril. I did computer science major, and really, unless you really like learning about HDD reading schemes, thread scheduling, how compilers read code, all that sort of stuff, you'll fall off quickly. I liked it, but i like learning about that kind of thing.

I don't know about monash, but a lot of people enter these with out having read a lot of the course/subject descriptions in the 2nd and 3rd year subjects thinking "programming, easy".

Also depends what you want to do post-University. Which changes wildly depending on how much you like your chosen course.

I always wanted to be an Engineer, until I got to the last year or so of the degree. Ugh. :lol

Fredescu

Omi said:
I always wanted to be an Engineer
It's easy to be an engineer, just spend a few years in an office environment and you'll eventually be one. "Marketing Synergies Engineer", "Waste Disposal Engineer", "Job Description Engineer". No matter your field, you will be an engineer, don't give up hope!

Omikron

Fredescu said:
It's easy to be an engineer, just spend a few years in an office environment and you'll eventually be one. "Marketing Synergies Engineer", "Waste Disposal Engineer", "Job Description Engineer". No matter your field, you will be an engineer, don't give up hope!

Sadly true. No doubt they have the appropriate 1 day course certificate to back up the job description.

Deeku

Omi said:
Also depends what you want to do post-University. Which changes wildly depending on how much you like your chosen course.

I always wanted to be an Engineer, until I got to the last year or so of the degree. Ugh. :lol
:lol Tell me about it. I got to 3rd year of Chem and Biomed Engineering and quit because I realised I was not born to engineer.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
markot said:
At the moment the Bachelor in Games and Virtual Worlds in Canberra looks very appealing, but at the same time, I have to wonder if the end degree will actually be useful for much of anything.

It seems like the right fit, but I'm hesitant.

giri

Rez said:
At the moment the Bachelor in Games and Virtual Worlds in Canberra looks very appealing, but at the same time, I have to wonder if the end degree will actually be useful for much of anything.

It seems like the right fit, but I'm hesitant.

I can't say i blame you. Unless you're willing to move countries you'd be putting your self into what must be one of the toughest job markets in australia, as a game dev.

I will say this, you will do a lot better at what ever you pick, if you genuinely find it interesting, and not just the idea of it.

The amount of 3rd year CS major students who just take no interest in the subject and just figure out ways to pass with out actually learning because they thought it would be cool to be able to program, but not wanting to do the stupid long hours of debugging and writing thousands of lines of code, are numerous.

But thats my advice to anyone about a tertiary education, do it, if it something you actually want to do, not just like the idea of doing. (I actually like writing code, yeah, i know, weird).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
in taking a course like that, I'm very aware that a move to the US would almost be an obligatory next step, and I'm prepared to do so, but even then it isn't like I'm going to have an easy time getting a job. I'm signing up for long hours and not a whole lot of respect.

But, you know, I want to do it, because obviously I'm extremely passionate about it and would love to be part of a community of like-minded people, but the rational side of my brain has sprung up some warning signs I'm going to need to squash before I pull the trigger.

I could be convinced either way. I'd love to have a chat to someone who has that degree.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Office 2011 for the mac on sale tomorrow. I wonder if we are actually behind or if it's a worldwide same day release.

Agyar

evlcookie said:
Office 2011 for the mac on sale tomorrow. I wonder if we are actually behind or if it's a worldwide same day release.

Hopefully I can get it through my work thingy for $15 or whatever I paid for 2008.

legend166

Doing a degree in games development really seems like a bad idea.

I'd recommend doing something much broader, so you can actually get a job somewhere. There seems to be a ton of programming work around (despite what all the advisers told us in year one of my IT degree). I'd think a better path into the industry would be getting programming experience somewhere else and building up your portfolio/skills and try to break in that way, all the while actually having the security of a degree that can get you a job in other places.

Most general IT degrees will probably let you do a couple of course on game design anyway. At least, UTS does.

teekun

legend166 said:

I'd recommend doing something much broader, so you can actually get a job somewhere. There seems to be a ton of programming work around (despite what all the advisers told us in year one of my IT degree). I'd think a better path into the industry would be getting programming experience somewhere else and building up your portfolio/skills and try to break in that way, all the while actually having the security of a degree that can get you a job in other places.

Most general IT degrees will probably let you do a couple of course on game design anyway. At least, UTS does.

This is especially true since the games industry is almost entirely merit-based. Want to make games for a living? Start by making games in your spare time. Your portfolio is what's going to get you hired, not your degree.

A degree in games development seems to give people the idea that they'll be able to jump into the industry straight out of Uni, which is extremely doubtful in such a competitive field.

I'd say just get yourself a regular IT degree, broaden your skills that way, and make games on your own time.

legend166 said:

But doing that you'll most likely have to take a massive paycut when you do break in (because your experience won't be directly applicable, you'll have to start lower on the ladder), making it harder to justify the longer you go without being in the industry. Also, gaming is one of those "glamour" industries with a lot of competition, so it drives wages down.

EDIT: I'm assuming you spent time supporting SAP or Oracle or something for a few years then tried to jump into game development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom