• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
way to many things that are stupid in this idea

1. It would cost more to administer then the tax generated by doing this.

2. It's easy to get around. Just request the retailer put gift on every package and BAM, no GST

how can they prove its not a gift?????

Yeah, there is no way this is happening.

But something needs to be done about the price of goods in this country. In general. I don't know what, but something.

To an extent I understand why retailers are whining - they're losing money, and there is no way they can compete with overseas pricing. Dollars are flying out of Australia fast and that's not a good thing.

Nemesis_

flake said:
anybody had any luck finding the RB3 keyboard in store? (im in Melbourne)

All the top performing JB stores got one of each platform. That's it.

EBGames are stocking them but only if you order them, there will be none available to walk-ins, as far as I'm aware. The prices for the general public are about three dollars in difference. =P

flake

Nemesis556 said:
All the top performing JB stores got one of each platform. That's it.

EBGames are stocking them but only if you order them, there will be none available to walk-ins, as far as I'm aware. The prices for the general public are about three dollars in difference. =P

Ok, thanks...seems like amazon is the go then, just have to wait for shipping :(

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:
They weren't selling the PS3 bundles for some reason when I ordered. Got the game today, but no keyboard...

WTF, i have a keyboard here from Amazon, PS3 that arrived last week... :|

MrSerrels

Choc said:
WTF, i have a keyboard here from Amazon, PS3 that arrived last week... :|

When I went online at amazon they said the bundles were sold out, didn't want to wait, so paid an extra $10 or whatever to buy them seperately. Game came today, but no keyboard. :(

Nemesis_

I'm so happy with the deal I got.

I'm also moderately happy that with no experience, I can play Pro Keys on Medium for most songs! ^___________^

Choc

Banned
Pro mode is a game changer

Rockband is shite without it now

I love pro mode :) (i too can play most Pro KB on med)

did have piano training when younger though

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It will be interesting to see whether or not I can jump right into Expert Pro keyboard or not. There's room for real embarrassment here. :lol

Nemesis_

Choc said:
Pro mode is a game changer

Rockband is shite without it now

I love pro mode :) (i too can play most Pro KB on med)

did have piano training when younger though

Rock Band still is and will always be better than Guitar Hero. Playing RB3 has really opened my eyes more so than previously to this fact.

I wish I could play Pro Guitar or Pro Drums, but I really need to get new sets or something. Just not enough money right now for that. I've still got shitty World Tour drums, a World Tour guitar and a Rock Band 1 guitar. >_<

The drums need an update most of all, though.

Bernbaum

Okay BrisGAF, Yug emailed back and gave the news that we'll be able to play the new Wii Goldeneyes. That's out on Thursday right?

Caramello

Bernbaum said:
Okay BrisGAF, Yug emailed back and gave the news that we'll be able to play the new Wii Goldeneyes. That's out on Thursday right?

Launches Wednesday actually, so close! I only wish the red Wii was launching the same day.. Hopefully the save isn't locked to my old console :S

Also to guys with RB3 and the keyboard: Could I learn to play the keyboard with this? I've had one since I was 7 but have never had a lesson and can really only play a couple of simple songs I learnt by ear.. If I could learn the keyboard with it then it'd make me feel better about spending the money on it :lol

Choc

Banned
Caramello said:
Launches Wednesday actually, so close! I only wish the red Wii was launching the same day.. Hopefully the save isn't locked to my old console :S

Also to guys with RB3 and the keyboard: Could I learn to play the keyboard with this? I've had one since I was 7 but have never had a lesson and can really only play a couple of simple songs I learnt by ear.. If I could learn the keyboard with it then it'd make me feel better about spending the money on it :lol

is blood stone out the same day?

Choc

Banned
Caramello said:
Could I learn to play the keyboard with this? I've had one since I was 7 but have never had a lesson and can really only play a couple of simple songs I learnt by ear.. If I could learn the keyboard with it then it'd make me feel better about spending the money on it :lol

if you stick with it, from what i can tell in the lessons, absolutely

Clipper

Choc said:
way to many things that are stupid in this idea

1. It would cost more to administer then the tax generated by doing this.

2. It's easy to get around. Just request the retailer put gift on every package and BAM, no GST

how can they prove its not a gift?????
I think the current system doesn't care if it's a gift for things priced over $1,000. The gift thing works to bypass other country's import tax, but not ours.

Edit: And here's the info from the customs website on this specific matter:
Australian customs said:
GIFT CONCESSION

The gift concession (by-law number 9740019) was revoked on and from 1 October 2008. However importations up to a value of AUD$1,000 are exempt payment of duty and GST (except for alcoholic beverages and tobacco products), see tariff updates for more details.

Edit 2: I just realised it's not just GST that would be paid. Duty also factors in. Here's what we'd be paying if we made a $400 purchase under the proposed scheme. For comparison's sake, I'll put shipping at $20, so this would cost us $420 under the current scheme.

Cost of items: $400
Duty (5%): $20
Shipping: $20
Total before GST: $440
GST (10%): $44
Total cost: $484

So on top of the $420, that's an increase of about 15%. Not really all that much of a disincentive to import when the alternative is a near-100% markup, but still quite a bit of extra money.

Choc

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
Yeah, it is. Talk about being sent to die. I hear it's not that lengthy either.

So activision aquire Bizarre, have them build a game they have never built before (game outside car racing..., well aside from 'The Club')

give it zero press, dont market it at all and expect it to sell

why do i get the feeling this is activision lining up to shut bizarre down

Caramello

Choc said:
if you stick with it, from what i can tell in the lessons, absolutely

Awesome, another game to buy :lol

About Blood Stone - I would assume so, EB has it as launching on the 3rd along with Goldeneye.. I'll probably pick it up after I'm done with Goldeneye, I don't think it looks as bad as everyone is making out.

Edit: Beaten lol but yeah Activision seem to really only be pushing Black Ops and to some extent Goldeneye.. Good news for the Wii I guess but bad news for Bizarre..

Bern, did you PM me about the BrisGAF meetup for a reason? I'm a Melbournite. :p

Also, Choc, wtf is with me not being able to play the other NFSHP unless I have a friend who plays it? Bloody bs.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Megadrive said:
Bern, did you PM me about the BrisGAF meetup for a reason? I'm a Melbournite. :p

Also, Choc, wtf is with me not being able to play the other NFSHP unless I have a friend who plays it? Bloody bs.

What console? if PS3 then add me, evlcookie, i've played the demo. You should be able to unlock the crappy race after you've done that. Unless it's on 360 then go pester Mar :D

Deeku

I really doubt you can learn to play the keyboard by playing this rb3 game. But you'd probably learn how to awkwardly to poke out tunes with a finger or 2.

Bernbaum

Megadrive said:

Oops, for some reason I had your name on the list from last time.

You're, er, still invited of course, but for some reason I don't think the trams come this far north.

Choc

Banned
commanderdeek said:
I really doubt you can learn to play the keyboard by playing this rb3 game. But you'd probably learn how to awkwardly to poke out tunes with a finger or 2.

it teaches you exactly what a music teacher would. The different cords, how they go together, how you should position hands, how to move hands around keyboard without watching

etc

Half the battle is learning to sight-read sheet music, really.

Some sheet music actually has finger placements on it, which is useful.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
learning to play isn't hard.

finding an inspiring teacher who can actually play well and communicate effectively is a fucking nightmare if you live outside a city or are not willing to pay an extremely high price. I got very lucky.

Deeku

Exactly. Teacher is very important. Reading is still important, but a lot of "musicians" these can get by without classical training.

But yeah, by playing this game where (from the one video I just youtubed because I know nothing about this game) you're essentially looking at the screen and poking out the notes it tells you on a 2 octave keyboard doesn't at all constitute to what it's like learning the piano, or any instrument.

I sure hope the whole learning thing is not a selling point for the game.

Choc

Banned
flake is it a po box?

if so thats why. UPS wont ship there

also,

Maybe serrells could do an ongoing story about learning keyboard via Rb3 and if its possible

flake

Choc said:
flake is it a po box?

also,

Maybe serrells could do an ongoing story about learning keyboard via Rb3 and if its possible

Nope, just a normal address....seems like its only having trouble with the keyboard...as it says it can ship the game

Edit: Nevermind, it seems to be working now

MrSerrels

Choc said:
flake is it a po box?

also,

Maybe you could spell my name right for once!

I actually considered not doing a story on something that's important for Aussie gamers (the import one) because I knew I'd get slagged off on here, but then I thought, how stupid would that be.

If something is important to Aussie gamers it will most likely be discussed on this thread, so of course there is going to be crossover. I've always given kudos where required.

Stackboy

Sup AusGaf. I was moving over the weekend. What did I miss?

I'm pretty much all over RB3 on 360. Gamertag is Stackboy Royale. Will be on tonight.

Clipper

Wait... since when did Amazon start shipping games to Australia? I've been trying to get that to work for ages and it never has, but I can do it now. Last time I tried it was only a few months ago, so it is something recent, I'm sure.

In any case, this is now totally awesome. Their shipping prices are lower than they used to be so Amazon will probably be my go-to importing shop now instead of Play Asia.

flake

Amazon says the keyboard will ship in 3 - 4 weeks...oh well, guess ill just have to wait it out and hone my guitar skills in the meantime :D

jambo

I went down to EB Rundle Mall today to pre-order one of the new special edition Red Wii Mario bundles but I'm a bit worried.

Firstly, the guy looked newish and a bit flustered. Plus he was the only staffer in the store.

Secondly, he didn't even know there was a Red Wii Mario bundle coming out.

Thirdly, there were 2 entries in the computer (that he showed me for some reason), being Nintendo Wii Red and Nintendo Wii Mario that were both $299 and both coming out on the 11th.

I only put $10 down so I might go back tonight after work to double check with someone who actually knows the bundle I want to buy.

Clipper said:
Wait... since when did Amazon start shipping games to Australia? I've been trying to get that to work for ages and it never has, but I can do it now. Last time I tried it was only a few months ago, so it is something recent, I'm sure.

In any case, this is now totally awesome. Their shipping prices are lower than they used to be so Amazon will probably be my go-to importing shop now instead of Play Asia.
Amazon ship almost everything to Australia. I think there's only ever been like 1-2 things I haven't been able to get.

MrSerrels

Golf ham my RB keyboard won't be here until tomorrow or the day after.

In other news EFTPOS minimums can suck my wanger. That shit should be illegal. I'm saving them money by using it for god's sake...

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:
Golf ham my RB keyboard won't be here until tomorrow or the day after.

In other news EFTPOS minimums can suck my wanger. That shit should be illegal. I'm saving them money by using it for god's sake...

Question, how are you saving them money by using eftpos ? :)

and i wasn't having a go before that you are posting stuff from here serrels, i'd just love to see someone do an article on learning something via RB3 and if yo ureally can (like what people did with wii fit)

Agyar

jambo said:
Amazon ship almost everything to Australia. I think there's only ever been like 1-2 things I haven't been able to get.

Amazon US refuses to ship me Vanquish as of 2 minutes ago. Ergo, you are all dirty liars.

Amazon UK will though, which is interesting as usually it declines to ship most Video Games to Australia. The price is about the same as 365/Ozgameshop though.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
Question, how are you saving them money by using eftpos ? :)

and i wasn't having a go before that you are posting stuff from here serrels, i'd just love to see someone do an article on learning something via RB3 and if yo ureally can (like what people did with wii fit)

Haha - yeah sorry for getting defensive [hugs]

I wish I could go into more detail about how I'm saving them money, but I'm going purely off an article I read in T3 ages ago about it costing money to transport money blah blah blah.

Something along those lines.

Basically I just resent having to buy a packet of Squirms when all I want is Can of Coke Zero FFS!!!

Agyar

Choc said:
agyar

barnesandnoble.com will ship vanquish to u

For $59USD. I'll just order it from Ozgameshop. Thinking about ordering it now so I can play it when I finish Enslaved but I keep holding out with the hope Zavvi will make it a deal of the day.

Clipper

OK weird. Amazon will send me the Sly Collection and Epic Mickey, but it won't send me Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem!...

Seems that they've always just been selective on what games they will ship out and I've always selected the ones they won't previously.

Bernbaum

I feel bad for only having played Vanquish once.

Feels like I haven't officially 'played' it - I finished it once on normal but haven't returned for hard mode or any of the challenges. Moment I wrapped it up that disc got swapped out for Mass Effect and I haven't looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom