• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bernbaum said:
Horse racing is animal torture masquerading as entertainment.
I never understood little girls' fascination with horses. I grew up with a few girls who did horseriding growing up and lived through a year or so when a show called The Saddle Club became popular. It was all about friendship and the love between small human and enourmous equus.

Thing is, that look you see in the eye of any horse that sees a human isn't love. It's fear. It's pant-wetting, brushdown-soiling terror. Reason being is that a horse isn't like a dog. It doesn't naturally see humans as part of its pack/herd. In the wild, it doesn't cooperate with its fellow horses to solve problems or have the complicated interactions dogs do - they just herd together for protection. Thus, a dog can be trained, but a horse must be broken.

When you see a horse, you see a cowering slave whose spirit has been crushed, whose will has been bent to obedience to another.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
So I wanted to buy some cables (HDMI + Optical), so I went to monoprice.com.
Turns out it will somehow cost $31 to ship a cable to me, which seems insanely expensive.

Any good alternatives? I guess I could always get a $100 "premium" Belkin cable from Harvey Norman.

giri

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I never understood little girls' fascination with horses. I grew up with a few girls who did horseriding growing up and lived through a year or so when a show called The Saddle Club became popular. It was all about friendship and the love between small human and enourmous equus.

Thing is, that look you see in the eye of any horse that sees a human isn't love. It's fear. It's pant-wetting, brushdown-soiling terror. Reason being is that a horse isn't like a dog. It doesn't naturally see humans as part of its pack/herd. In the wild, it doesn't cooperate with its fellow horses to solve problems or have the complicated interactions dogs do - they just herd together for protection. Thus, a dog can be trained, but a horse must be broken.

When you see a horse, you see a cowering slave whose spirit has been crushed, whose will has been bent to obedience to another.
That's a nicely jaded one view piece of writing you put together.

And for girls i presume some of it's the glamour of old world estates, old world money, and old world english/french provincial lifestyle, kings, queens, lords, princess's and knights?

legend166 said:
5. Every single sports reporter or idiot at work thinks they're some sort of expert, when at the end of the day it's stupid horses who might not just feel like running.

This is what shits me the most. I hate to think how frustrating it must be for people who follow the "sport" when every dickhead out there thinks they know all about horseracing for one day a year.

It's probably something akin to when the dudebros at work talk about Call of Duty and FIFA and how they are the absolute pinnacle of video games.

Omikron

Is Steam all fucked up for anyone else today?

Having heaps of drop outs / connection issues. Perfect timing for a public holiday. :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Omi said:
Is Steam all fucked up for anyone else today?

Having heaps of drop outs / connection issues. Perfect timing for a public holiday. :lol

Community just died then. They could be doing small updates.

giri said:
That's a nicely jaded one view piece of writing you put together.

And for girls i presume some of it's the glamour of old world estates, old world money, and old world english/french provincial lifestyle, kings, queens, lords, princess's and knights?
I always saw it as a "safe" place for a little girl to focus her romantic attention prior to puberty. A horse is fast, graceful, powerful, beautiful and masculine while never being presented as being capable of hurting her. When the alternative is the snot-nosed brats who pull her hair and put bugs in her lunchbox or dangerous older boys, the appeal is clear.

legend166

Here's my problem with Rock Band 3 and the keyboard:

It's been awhile since I had to learn an instrument for these games. I learnt guitar on Guitar Hero 3, and drums on a combo of World Tour and Rock Band 2.

Rock Band 3 doesn't really have a structure that is conducive to learning an instrument (surprisingly, considering how much they've focused on that).

The GH3 career was basically a list of songs, from easy to hard, and you had to work through them one by one. It forced you to get better at guitar to proceed, so you had to do it. RB3 with the keyboard doesn't really do that. You have to go searching out for songs that are suitable for your skill level. It's more work and it's a bit annoying.

Rezbit

markot said:
Why do they give Horses such stupid names?!?!?!

"SO YOU THINK"???????????

Pretty much because every horse name has to be unique. So there are a lot of shitty names out there.

I wanna own a horse and call it "Thundercock"...but it's probably already been taken.

markot

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:

DIDNT YOU WATCH HORSE WHISPERERERE?!

jambo

codswallop said:
There's a reason AFL is almost exclusively popular in Melbourne and not at all overseas.
WA, SA, VIC and more.

And it's the fastest growing sport in the US.

And they're having more and more international exhibition matches.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
jambo said:
And it's the fastest growing sport in the US.

Gone from 1 player to 15? :lol

I don't think this is the place to troll AFL, but this stat seems silly.

Choc

Banned
656699-cup.jpg

she isn't even pissed and she's lost her pants/skirt already

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
user_nat said:
Gone from 1 player to 15? :lol

I don't think this is the place to troll AFL, but this stat seems silly.

You know theres dozens of leagues and teams outside of Australia right? They might not be all at AFL standard, but they do exist :)

but lol @ saying it's only popular in Victoria.

hamchan

legend166 said:
AFL isn't a sport.

Well if you wanna get all technical about it

Starcraft 2 is a better sport than Australian Rules Football.

Also I was wondering this, is it called Aussie Rules overseas too?

hamchan

jambo said:
Technically Starcraft 2 is not a sport.

How isn't it?

EDIT: Also this is interesting: The first ever televised eSports event has been noted as the Australian gameshow A*mazing, which would show two children competing in various Nintendo games in order to win points.

Dayum, I used to watch that show all the time.

hamchan

user_nat said:
Do you consider all games to be sports, or just SC2?

Well, obviously some games are single player and aren't suited to be played competitively, so no not all games. Games like Counter-Strike, Street Fighter, Starcraft 2 I do consider sports.

EDIT: Although you can add a competitive aspect to single player games with scores etc. Hard to say which games I would consider sports.

hamchan

jambo said:
Not a physical activity

Well we just disagree on what's a sport then. I don't think something needs to be a physical activity to be counted as a sport eg. chess. Although I'd also argue Starcraft requires both physical and mental speed to play at a pro level.

Caramello said:
Just because it's competitive doesn't make it a sport.. Is chess a sport? Is debating a sport?

Just as I type the above. Yes, chess is considered a sport by many people and the International Olympic Committee.

jambo

Chess is a rare exception, and even then most people don't think of it as a sport in the same way they think of footy or the olympics.

The vast majority of people equate sport to organised games that require physical fitness and exertion.

Starcraft doesn't require physical fitness in the same way that sports like swimming, cross country running or football do.

hamchan

jambo said:
Chess is a rare exception, and even then most people don't think of it as a sport in the same way they think of footy or the olympics.

The vast majority of people equate sport to organised games that require physical fitness and exertion.

Starcraft doesn't require physical fitness in the same way that sports like swimming, cross country running or football do.

You're right that it doesn't require the same physical fitness. Starcraft is more akin to chess in that it requires mental fitness. So if Chess is considered a sport than Starcraft can be too.

I was actually being kinda facetious by saying Starcraft was better than AFL (Although I do like Starcraft much more than AFL), I don't know why this turned into an actual debate over Starcraft's legitimacy as a sport.

I guess the lesson here is to not troll AFL.

legend166 said:
Oh, you're one of those guys.
If by that you mean I can't stand AFL? Then, yes. Actually, I'm more apathetic to it than some sort of total dislike, but the way it's seen as the only sport in Melbourne rubs me the wrong way.

jambo said:
Also ESPN is now showing AFL matches and they even played the Grand Final live.
ESPN shows cup stacking championships and dogs catching frisbees.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
codswallop said:
If by that you mean I can't stand AFL? Then, yes. Actually, I'm more apathetic to it than some sort of total dislike, but the way it's seen as the only sport in Melbourne rubs me the wrong way.

ESPN shows cup stacking championships and dogs catching frisbees.

It's seen that way in places other than melbourne too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom