• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipper

Some of my favourites in no particular order:

Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Twilight Princess (they jockey for second-favourite Zelda)
Prince of Persia (2008)
Beyond Good and Evil
Pokémon Trading Card Game (I have a weird obsession for digital TCGs sometimes)
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Telltale's adventure games (all of them)
Sierra's Quest series (Police, King's, for Glory, I love them all)

It's hard to limit myself to just 10 (and the compilations above are probably cheating)... I probably should have more of the adventure genre in there, which is probably my all-time favourite (as long as 'Nintendo' doesn't count as a genre), but I wanted to round things out a bit.

Edit: I should probably throw out a few honourable mentions that all could have easily made the list but they slipped my mind at the time. While writing this I realised I pretty much had another 10, so:

Shadow of the Colossus
Chrono Trigger
the Paper Marios
Ōkami
Pikmin 2
the Kororinpas
the Ace Attorneys
the Professor Laytons
Rayman 2
Mega Man X

Aon

Ugh. I had a post that was too long and sentimental but I accidentally closed Chrome so it's gone forever. The crux of it is that I can't remove any of these games, although I acknowledge that the first two are not of the same quality as the others but rather had a huge impact on my life. Also there are 13 games and all of my favorites seem to have 90+ Metascore so I'm lame.

Company of Heroes
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Mass Effect 2
Starcraft 2
System Shock 2
Bioshock
Half Life 2
Fallout New Vegas
Deus Ex
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
The Witcher
Chrono Trigger
Shadow of the Colossus

Edit: A quick Metacritic reveals that only New Vegas and The Witcher are below 90. I am so lame. I thought I was being at least a little fringe with ET

hamchan

Super Mario Galaxy
Uncharted 2
Final Fantasy VII
Pokemon Red/Blue
Super Smash Bros Melee
Super Street Fighter 4
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Chrono Trigger
World of Warcraft
The World Ends With You
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Metal Gear Solid 3
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy X
Persona 3
Persona 4
Call of Duty 4
Resident Evil 4
Halo: Combat Evolved
Final Fantasy VI

Waikis

Fine, here is a proper top 10 for me.

Earthbound
FF 7
Max payne
Street fighter 4
Roller coaster Tycoon.
The Sims.
Dungeon Keepers 2.
Deus Ex.
Ninja Gaiden 1+2.
DOA 4. (thats right motherfuckers)

Frawdder

Top 10 in the order I can think of them

Team Fortress 2
Persona 4
KOTOR
College Hoops 2K8
Gran Turismo 4
Burnout Paradise
Super Mario Bros. 3
Skate 3
iRacing
(Struggling for a 10th...)
rFactor - but that's due to the modding community of rFactor rather then the base game.

Shaneus

Hm...

Project Gotham Racing 4
Lumines
Outrun 2
Wipeout 2097
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Crackdown
GTA Vice City
Rez
Jet Set Radio/Future
Tempest 2000

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I don't know if i can think of 10 games i've actually played and enjoyed.

Super Mario Kart
Team Fortress 2
Burnout 3
WoW
Super mario world
Metal gear solid 1
Final fantasy 7
The Witcher
Rock n roll racing
Syndicate

There's 10 i guess. Forgot about Syndicate. I could add rad racer too but eh.

Mar

Dead Man said:
Old people unite!! Wizball was the shit. I sucked so bad at it though. :lol

It was actually really easy once you worked out that you are invincible when floating in the ground area.

Fredescu

An old GAF thread said:
I've been struggling with this thread for days. I decided in the end to go with the games that changed gaming to me, the ones that meant the most to me when I experienced them, and that coloured all my future gaming experiences. If I tried to come up with a list of games that I would recommend to other people as pinnacles of the medium, it would look completely different (apart from 1 and 2).

That probably sounds ridiculous. Here's the list.

1. Half Life 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Zelda: A link to the past
4. Age of Empires 2
5. The Witcher
6. Doom 2
7. Everquest
8. Scarab of Ra
9. Super Mario Kart
10. Castle of the Winds

That was traumatic.
That was my post from this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378540 that resulted in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380379

Given the qualifiers, I doubt that would change much. Dragon Age and now Fallout New Vegas have been amazing though. I would probably put them in some other kind of list.

Fallout
Battlefield 2
Team Fortress 2
WoW
Planescape Torment
Wolfenstien Enemy Territory
Morrowind
Unreal Tournament 99
Arcanum
Diablo 2

Bernbaum

evlcookie said:
I don't know if i can think of 10 games i've actually played and enjoyed.

Super Mario Kart
Team Fortress 2
Burnout 3
WoW
Super mario world
Metal gear solid 1
Final fantasy 7
The Witcher
Rock n roll racing
Syndicate

There's 10 i guess. Forgot about Syndicate. I could add rad racer too but eh.
Bolded, underlined, and italicized. Probably my favourite Xbox game.

hirokazu

Syth_Blade22 said:
Nope :(

Might have to pop in early in the morn before uni to see what I can sort out.. I can't work out why it's not accepting my details as proof of ID, i've used the same bank account for 10 years (and it's the only one I have) I must have entered my name wrong last year...
You can skip pre-filling and fill out the rest of the e-tax manually, then print it out as a proper tax form just before you submit it (where it'd fail the ID check again). I know someone where it kept saying his birthday didn't match what was on the record, but at least it still lets you fill it out, just have to submit a paper copy in person.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Syth_Blade22 said:
I thought I'd ask what everyone in AusGAF's favourite games of all time are?

I dunno might be interesting, I'll put them all into a list later see what everyones favourite games of all time are! List them in no order, just 10!

Planescape torment
Xenogears
Final Fantasy IX
Icewind dale
Donkey kong country 2
Baldurs gate 2
Fallout
Chrono trigger
Shin megami tensei : Nocturne
Phoenix wright 3

Honorable mentions - Metal gear solid, World of warcraft, Diablo II, Starcraft, Mother 3, Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, Shenmue 2.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Bernbaum said:
Bolded, underlined, and italicized. Probably my favourite Xbox game.

Did you ever play it online? What was the community like on the xbox?

I only ever played it on the PS2 and by play i mean spent probably over 1,000 hours just online. I met 6 or 7 great drivers and we played exclusively together, Was some of the best times i've ever had with a game. It's why i hold it in such high regard when it comes to a racer.

And because it was fast. Best viewed in 480p :lol http://www.youtube.com/user/WEIL3R#p/a/u/1/fl5mPcNVei8 The guys name sounds familiar. I think i've played against him online many years ago.

OK, so I'm playing through Fallout 3 again. First time was on PC but I don't have that copy anymore so now it's on the 360. I bought an imported UK or EU version cheap, because I'm cheap, and on Galaxy News Radio I haven't yet heard 'Butcher Pete', my favourite song.

Anyone know if it's cut in some versions?

rass

late to the party but (in alphabetical order for ease of digestion):

Mario Bros.
LoZ: A link to the Past
LoZ: Ocarina of Time
Rock N Roll Racing
Skate.
Snake Rattle 'n Roll
Stunts (4d Sports Driving)
Super Off Road
Tetris
TF2

there are about 5 million other games I could put on the list but don't have room for.

I played paintball on Saturday - FPS games have taught me 'shoot for the head', paintball taught me 'holy shit getting shot in the head hurts'.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I've never played paintball, Did you enjoy it?

After all those hours of TF2 and CS:S did you believe you were a pro shot and were you?

rass

evlcookie said:
I've never played paintball, Did you enjoy it?

After all those hours of TF2 and CS:S did you believe you were a pro shot and were you?
I've been once before, it's definitely more fun if you go with a group of friends and know everyone. We were there for a mate's birthday with a group of 19.
I'm such a rubbish shot in those games that it didn't help haha. I was certainly a bullet sponge however, a skill which I picked up from TF2 :lol

Bernbaum

evlcookie said:
Did you ever play it online? What was the community like on the xbox?

I only ever played it on the PS2 and by play i mean spent probably over 1,000 hours just online. I met 6 or 7 great drivers and we played exclusively together, Was some of the best times i've ever had with a game. It's why i hold it in such high regard when it comes to a racer.

And because it was fast. Best viewed in 480p :lol http://www.youtube.com/user/WEIL3R#p/a/u/1/fl5mPcNVei8 The guys name sounds familiar. I think i've played against him online many years ago.
Never took my Xbox online. Online console gaming is something I only experienced halfway through this generation - with Halo 3 providing my first exposure to XBL. I think that was the game that best captured what online console is all about, for better or worse. I'm not a big online player (probably because of my poor sportsmanship), and the only games I've really put a few hours into are TF2, Left 4 Dead and the CoD games - all on PC.

I'd play more Mario Kart if our nation weren't full of snotnosed kids ready and able to rape my arse in half.

Edit: and paintball is a blast, so long as you're in fit shape. It only really hurts if you get shot at short range in the neck. As others have mentioned, it's best enjoyed with mates - I've shown up a few times and there'll be those "weekend warrior" types who bring their own gear and generally make the whole experience horrible for anyone who just wants to have a bit of fun. Seriously, who the hell brings an automatic paintball gun to play against a bunch of kids and teenagers!?

Omikron

In no particular order off the top off my head. I reserve the right to edit until the cows come home. A lot of them picked purely on impact made on me at the time, have replayed some in recent times and have wondered what I was thinking.

- Super Mario World
- Zelda: OoT
- FF7
- GoldenEye
- Doom/Quake/Duke3D
- HL1/2
- Civ Series
- Mario 64
- Morrowind
- Blast Corps
- Trackmania
- Pirates!

After doing that list, makes me realise how much I loved the N64...some seriously awesome games on that console.

Oh and I realise I am cheating a bit, but lets just say these games influenced my current taste in gaming. :)

First Edit: I missed Pirates! from the golden age of the C64. I hate to think how many hours I pumped into sailing around the Caribbean.

Omikron

Gazunta said:
BLAST CORPS

that's my #10, nice work Omi

Its a fantastic game! (minus the epic slow down at some points. :lol )

I never quite got all the platinum times either, some of them were just ridiculous. Especially the ones with the stupid dump truck.

codswallop said:
OK, so I'm playing through Fallout 3 again. First time was on PC but I don't have that copy anymore so now it's on the 360. I bought an imported UK or EU version cheap, because I'm cheap, and on Galaxy News Radio I haven't yet heard 'Butcher Pete', my favourite song.

Anyone know if it's cut in some versions?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't cut, I remember when I played FO3 I didn't hear "I don't want to set the world on fire" until about 10 hours into the game... I guess it's just random which order the songs are played in.

rass

oh man, Blast Corps is my #11.
The pacman stage in the dumptruck made me feel like the goddamn batman when I finally got the platinum time.

Clipper

So apparently, local retailers want to stop us importing.

Hopefully the plans don't come to fruition too quickly (or at all). I don't want to need to spend another 10% on top of my 3DS import, and it would be annoying having to go to customs to pick this sort of thing up. If the retailers want me to buy local, they should set their prices competitively. Twice the price for a product that comes out often a month or two later does not seem like a good deal to me.

Bernbaum

I totally rented Blast Corps back in the day!

If only the Wii had some sort of download service for playing classic N64 games...

:(

hamchan

Clipper said:

Hopefully the plans don't come to fruition too quickly (or at all). I don't want to need to spend another 10% on top of my 3DS import, and it would be annoying having to go to customs to pick this sort of thing up. If the retailers want me to buy local, they should set their prices competitively. Twice the price for a product that comes out often a month or two later does not seem like a good deal to me.

Booooooo, I pretty much only buy games from overseas now. This would be horrible.

Omikron

Bernbaum said:
I totally rented Blast Corps back in the day!

If only the Wii had some sort of download service for playing classic N64 games...

:(

I actually won it in a competition from Nintendo Magazine System. :lol

maybe retailers should't charge stupid markups on shit and they would actually sell stuff. selling alot of well priced stuff > not selling overpriced stuff

jambo

- GoldenEye
- Doom Series
- Tiberian Sun
- Duke3D
- Half-Life
- Unreal Tournament
- Need for Speed IV: High Stakes
- Day of Defeat: Source
- Counter-Strike: Source
- Trackmania United
- Team Fortress 2
- GTA San Andreas
- CoD 4

legend166

Clipper said:

Maybe, just maybe, local retailers should try and be competitive?

Bernbaum

Emailed the Mana Bar even though it looks like there'll only be about half a dozen who can make it. Thanks to those who've put their hands up thus far, and to those who are coming despite it being their Birthday!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
oh man, blastcorps is def. nearing my top 10 too. shit is awesome
spoiler about the end game
God I felt fucking cheated

jambo

Clipper said:

How about they fucking try lowering their damn prices?!?!

I bought the RB3 guitar and keyboard on Amazon because the total cost including shipping was $280 AUD. To buy the keyboard and guitar from EB Games Australia it would have cost $426 AUD.

Aus retail manager 1: Now that the aussie dollar is so strong we can import stuff for super cheap and keep our prices the same and make huuuuge profits.

Mangaer 2: our customers have also realised they can buy online and import stuff for super cheap

manager 1: waaah Julia HEEEELLPPP!

MrSerrels

legend166 said:
Maybe, just maybe, local retailers should try and be competitive?

Local retailers would go out of business if they tried to match those prices I reckon.

Something needs to change on a grander scale for prices to drop here.

Clipper

hamchan said:
Booooooo, I pretty much only buy games from overseas now. This would be horrible.
It wouldn't affect your game purchases, unless you buy 8 or so at once. The proposal is to reduce the amount you can import in one go without tax from $1,000 to $400. I've certainly never bought $400 of games in one purchase. I have made a few purchases that large for Blu-Rays, though.... damnit.

MrSerrels said:
Local retailers would go out of business if they tried to match those prices I reckon.

they don't have to match the prices they just have to not be 1.5 to 2 times more expensive

BanShunsaku said:
I'm pretty sure it wasn't cut, I remember when I played FO3 I didn't hear "I don't want to set the world on fire" until about 10 hours into the game... I guess it's just random which order the songs are played in.
Yeah I'm wondering if it actually doesn't start playing more songs when hit a specific point in the game world or story. I've played about 7 hours and haven't even
had the fight out the front of Galaxy News Radio
yet, whereas previously I went to Rivet City pretty early.

Agyar

MrSerrels said:

The stupid thing is, even if GST was added to all overseas purchases the prices would remain competitive because the gap is so large.

pieatorium said:
Aus retail manager 1: Now that the aussie dollar is so strong we can import stuff for super cheap and keep our prices the same and make huuuuge profits.
Yeah, this.

... except the place we buy some quite expensive equipment for work from always bases their prices on the current exchange rate, even if they have stock locally, so some places just pass on the savings. But not many.

Choc

Banned
Agyar said:
The stupid thing is, even if GST was added to all overseas purchases the prices would remain competitive because the gap is so large.

way to many things that are stupid in this idea

1. It would cost more to administer then the tax generated by doing this.

2. It's easy to get around. Just request the retailer put gift on every package and BAM, no GST

how can they prove its not a gift?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom