• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar

Just like the 'are games art' argument, 'are games a sport' is a useless debate. In the end, it's someone arguing with someone else about a word. Just watch your tournaments and enjoy them. Trying to attach a word to it is meaningless.

Nedjoe

Neo Member
legend166 said:
Here's my problem with Rock Band 3 and the keyboard:

It's been awhile since I had to learn an instrument for these games. I learnt guitar on Guitar Hero 3, and drums on a combo of World Tour and Rock Band 2.

Rock Band 3 doesn't really have a structure that is conducive to learning an instrument (surprisingly, considering how much they've focused on that).

The GH3 career was basically a list of songs, from easy to hard, and you had to work through them one by one. It forced you to get better at guitar to proceed, so you had to do it. RB3 with the keyboard doesn't really do that. You have to go searching out for songs that are suitable for your skill level. It's more work and it's a bit annoying.

If you go into the goals for keyboard menu it lists them in tiers.

hamchan

Mar said:
Just like the 'are games art' argument, 'are games a sport' is a useless debate. In the end, it's someone arguing with someone else about a word. Just watch your tournaments and enjoy them. Trying to attach a word to it is meaningless.

Agreed!

Though games are art damn it!

legend166

holy crap starcraft is not a sport.

That dilutes the word so much that it might as well not exist. This is not similar to the 'are games art' debate at all.

Sport: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Also, I don't know why I'm defending Melbourne since I'm a Sydney man who has lived here my whole life, but to say that it's a one sport town is ridiculous. Melbourne goes to everything.

Rezbit

legend166 said:
Also, I don't know why I'm defending Melbourne since I'm a Sydney man who has lived here my whole life, but to say that it's a one sport town is ridiculous. Melbourne goes to everything.

This. It's the reason why Melbourne has everything...because they go to it. Hell, they even go to shithouse A-League matches. I look forward to moving there in the new year.

legend166 said:
Sport: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
Problem is, where do you draw the line over what is and isn't? Hunting, fishing, shooting? Are they really sports? Bowling barely requires physical effort at all.

At least Starcraft requires skill and practice, and is of a competitive nature.

Rezbit said:
This. It's the reason why Melbourne has everything...because they go to it. Hell, they even go to shithouse A-League matches. I look forward to moving there in the new year.
True. But just because many Melburnians go to sporting events doesn't mean there's room for any other sport in their hearts. Unless it's the flavour of the month (i.e. grand prix, tennis, Melbourne cup, World cup). A-League and NRL barely get a look-in here, though they are growing at least.

jambo

codswallop said:
At least Starcraft requires skill and practice, and is of a competitive nature.
I agree. At the professional level the top Starcraft gamers compete in a highly skilled competition.

Just not a sport.

Axiom

I really need to get around to ordering a Rock Band keyboard, though if sales are any indication they aren't going to sell out :(

Also if people want to troll a sport, make an OT thread. Much like being partisan about politics, there's no faster way to kill the spirit of why this AusGaf thing keeps working.

As for Starcraft, it isn't a real sport, but there isn't a better term to cover it that gives it the legitimacy the people backing it want it to have.

I don't know shit about Starcraft, but after GiantBomb's latest TNT, I'm completely sold on how incredibly fun it is to watch with good commentary that can explain just why the cool shit on screen is actually cooler than you thought.

legend166 said:

and the extremely athletic olympic sports such as target shooting with air pistols

markot

Banned
We need more banks, big 4 is stupid and cartelish.

Also love how Hockeys comments on Banks and the needs for reform and such turned into a huge discussion... On anything OTHER then the topic, about his standing, about the greens, morans in his party... anything but the issue or the good points he actually brought up.

Media!

Shaneus

Mar said:
So, interest rates up, and the Commonwealth Bank has lifted it even more. Good news for savers!
I just deposited 23.1kg of coinage into my Commonwealth Bank savings account. Wahoo!
Now to justify spending twice as much as I actually put in on completely random, useless shit.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Axiom said:
I really need to get around to ordering a Rock Band keyboard, though if sales are any indication they aren't going to sell out :(

Also if people want to troll a sport, make an OT thread. Much like being partisan about politics, there's no faster way to kill the spirit of why this AusGaf thing keeps working.

As for Starcraft, it isn't a real sport, but there isn't a better term to cover it that gives it the legitimacy the people backing it want it to have.

I don't know shit about Starcraft, but after GiantBomb's latest TNT, I'm completely sold on how incredibly fun it is to watch with good commentary that can explain just why the cool shit on screen is actually cooler than you thought.

Tonight, about 8:30pm, Gomtv.net sign up and watch live, theres some epic battles going on! they've whittled the field down to 8 (6 as of last night) and tonight the two most famous sc1 players of all time (NaDa and SlayerS_Boxer) are going head to head! on their way to the first place prize of $85,000

Bernbaum

Adelaide street is now a mess of drunk overweight, tackily-dressed middle aged women - a walking circus of smeared makeup, cheap alcohol and sunburnt flab.

Ventron

Bernbaum said:
Adelaide street is now a mess of drunk overweight, tackily-dressed middle aged women - a walking circus of smeared makeup, cheap alcohol and sunburnt flab.

Don't forget the smoking emos who dress like anime characters.

hamchan

jambo said:
I agree. At the professional level the top Starcraft gamers compete in a highly skilled competition.

Just not a sport.
Well whatever you want to call Starcraft, can we all agree it takes a huge amount of skill to play, people are making big money by making it a career to play it and thousands upon thousands of people, maybe over a hundred thousand people, can be watching a game at any one time. As long as everyone acknowledges this I don't give a damn whether anyone calls it a sport at all. If the only thing stopping Starcraft being called a sport is physicality then the word sport means absolute nothing in determining how legitimate a competition something can be.

HolyCheck

hamchan said:
Well whatever you want to call Starcraft, can we all agree it takes a huge amount of skill to play, people are making big money by making it a career to play it and thousands upon thousands of people, maybe over a hundred thousand people, can be watching a game at any one time. As long as everyone acknowledges this I don't give a damn whether anyone calls it a sport at all. If the only thing stopping Starcraft being called a sport is physicality then the word sport means absolute nothing in determining how legitimate a competition something can be.

Boxers last game had 2.4 million people watch the VOD's, and then 700,000 people watch it live :lol

jambo

hamchan said:
Well whatever you want to call Starcraft, can we all agree it takes a huge amount of skill to play
jambo said:

jambo said:
the top Starcraft gamers compete in a highly skilled competition.

jambo said:
compete in a highly skilled competition.

jambo said:
highly skilled

O_O

Anyway, a few people at work had a few too many champagnes and are basically doing now work. Meanwhile I was busy for the past 3 hours with a server that needed a reboot and then wouldn't reboot. Good fun.

hamchan

jambo said:
O_O

Anyway, a few people at work had a few too many champagnes and are basically doing now work. Meanwhile I was busy for the past 3 hours with a server that needed a reboot and then wouldn't reboot. Good fun.
I know you wrote that. I was more speaking to everyone in general, not just replying to your post.

HolyCheck

jambo said:
When did I claim I could?
edit: lol.

Sorry i thought you were quoting hammy, then paraphrasing his quote..

this is what I get for reeading the opening quote then the last 2 :lol

either way! gomtv.net tonight! everyone be there or be square

jambo

Syth_Blade22 said:
either way! gomtv.net tonight! everyone be there or be square
Maybe. I got my RB3 keyboard today so I might end up playing that all night. Or New Vegas, game is tasty!

MrSerrels said:
Doesn't look good for Games Warehouse...

www.gameswarehouse.com.au

That's a shame. I used to use them quite frequently, until game.com.au started doing online trading.

What killed gameswarehouse for me was their shipping costs. They were great to deal with, and often sold games ~$10 less than RRP, but add in the shipping costs and I might as well just walk to JB in my lunch break.

Edit: Oh yeh and I won $80 on a stupid horse today. Been a good week!

These don't happen to me very often. Odds are I'll wake up tomorrow morning with a spastic colon

jambo

Rang EB and got my Red Wii pre-order sorted. Thankfully the guy I got actually knew the difference between the two models unlike the guy on Monday. 9 more days!

HolyCheck

elektrixx said:
I was wonderin' where the hell AusGAF went. I never go outside of the gaming forum.
Tiger-Hug1.jpg

Welcome home

Aspiring

Thanks for the Link Legend. I thought this was closed had no idea it was back.

Anyway are there any Gaffers on PS3 that are playing Rock Band 3? Im desperate for some Aussies to play with.

Anyway my name is on that spreadsheet, for those who Cant be bothered add me AsPiRiNgYoUtH

BSS said:
Why can't I find "Band World Tour" mode in RB3?

Its now under Road Challenges. They have mae it so you can either play long sessions or short. Its fantastic and much better IMO.

Shaneus

Should be a few more coming in... just linked us up in the Conan thread :D

PS. I'm gonna jump in on a keyboard for RB3. Where's the cheapest place to get the game proper for the 360?

Aspiring

Shaneus said:

PS. I'm gonna jump in on a keyboard for RB3. Where's the cheapest place to get the game proper for the 360?

I would say Amazon. I ordered from them and had it delivered in 3 days. I was impressed!

EDIT: I mean the Keyboard. The game i have no idea.

Rahk

Shaneus said:

EB seems to be the only choice if you want it retail.

Online, just try the usual places and wait a week or two. Zavvi, ozgameshop.

Also, add me on Live if you want to play some time. GT: Rakula.

Shaneus said:

stevematic up in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom