• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazunta

BrisGAF 2: Spear of Destiny was fun! Didn't get to stay as long as I would have liked but really enjoyed catching up with everyone. Looking forward to next time!

And for the record I really, REALLY enjoyed the NFS HP demo. It's Chase HQ HD!

More people should play Pinball FX 2 so I have people besides Rlan to compete against.

markot

Banned
Clipper said:
I don't think I'd have a problem with getting a murder case unless it was some sort of underworld killing. It'd certainly be a lot more interesting than theft or something.
What if the murder case.... Is yours!!

donnie-darko.jpg

Kirby102

So like, I got really lazy and did my tax return 2 weeks ago... and now I got it all back :D

$599. Just thought I'd let you guys know. :) *goes on import spree*

Kirby102 said:
So like, I got really lazy and did my tax return 2 weeks ago... and now I got it all back :D

$599. Just thought I'd let you guys know. :) *goes on import spree*
I owe the ATO like $50 :-(

BrisGAF 2.0 Bris Harder was fun. Manabar was a lot smaller and a lot dodgier than I thought it would be, but I probably shouldn't expected that since it is the valley.

Woo Party, by the way, is atrocious.

Just a heads up for those who like to buy their stuff online - jbhifionline.com.au now does free shipping on pretty much everything from what I can tell.

Probably just via standard post but still, the freight charges were one of the only reasons I never have really used jb online.

Shaneus

BanShunsaku said:
Just a heads up for those who like to buy their stuff online - jbhifionline.com.au now does free shipping on pretty much everything from what I can tell.

Probably just via standard post but still, the freight charges were one of the only reasons I never have really used jb online.
Fffffuuuuu.... that's awesome. They always seem to have more stock in than anywhere else, too. Thanks for the heads up!

Anyone got experience buying stuff like floorstanding speakers from Amazon (or anywhere in the US) and having them shipped to Australia?

Given the dollar's strength I just want to buy everything at the moment!

trinest

JB now free shipping? FUCK YEAH!

Sometimes I want to buy stuff from them but the shipping is like 50% of the item or something stupid sometimes.

Clipper

So yeah, looks like the dollar has reached its first somewhat stable point above parity. We're here guys, at last. It'll be interesting to see how much further we go!

And one more time now that we finally seem to be sticking there, let the dollar representatives join together in their equality:
washroo.jpg

...and enjoy the time in which we can equally (or better) trade our currency with those crazy green pieces of paper:
bills.png

Choc

Banned
rounded its 1.00 :p

also witnessed a big smash today, had to hang around for the cops

what is it about people driving like morons in the rain

Choc said:
rounded its 1.00 :p

also witnessed a big smash today, had to hang around for the cops

what is it about people driving like morons in the rain
gah I wrote off my car last year when this moran tried to cut across traffic in pissing down rain and stalled right in front of me, had no chance to stop and smashed into the side of his shitty 70s holden. Noone hurt but his car was hardly damaged while the whole front of mine was fucked.

Shaneus

Waiting for Paypal to use parity as an exchange rate. Could take a while :lol
(Edit: Paypal conversion rate, $1AU = 0.970783 US Dollars. Bastards)

Anyone know anything about the WP7-based Dell Venue Pro coming out here? It's the only WP7 phone that will get me to break contract, but it looks like the 3G frequencies won't work with Telstra (just Optus afaik).

legend166

Speaking of cars and crashes, I'm looking at places to get insurance.

I drive a 2003 Corolla. I don't own it, but I guess I could be considered the main driver. I mainly drive it 5 minutes to and from the train station and to my church a couple times a week, which is about 20 minutes away. So nothing big at all. I think the car is valued at around $13000 or so.

According to Bingle, my premium if I'm down as the main driver is $1800 with a $1450 excess. Which is highway robbery since I've never been in a crash and never even got a speeding ticket after 4 years of having my full licence.

Now, if I put my mum as main driver of the car (she does drive it) and don't list me at all, it's $513 with a $2250 excess if I crash and am at fault.

So if I crash with the former cover, I'm down $1800 yearly premium + $1450 excess. If I crash with the latter I'm down $513 + $2250 excess.

So putting my mum down is cheaper even with the big excess, but is it illegal?

Damn insurance is such a rip off. Bogans under 25 with their Commodores crashing all over the place ruining it for the rest of us.

Bernbaum

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I'm exchanging my Dollarydoos for Yen today. Parity with the US is nice at all, but when compared with other currencies, we're still getting reamed.
It's alright - I hear the Yen to Pocky exchange rate is pretty good.

WINK WINK NUDGE JUDGE.

Clipper

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I'm exchanging my Dollarydoos for Yen today. Parity with the US is nice at all, but when compared with other currencies, we're still getting reamed.
Wait, what? Don't exchange here. Find an ATM in the airport in Japan and just withdraw the cash you want to use. This'll work as long as you have Cirrus or Maestro on your card (which almost all do) and your bank's fees for foreign transactions are almost certainly less than the fees for trying to get Yen in Australia from any of the sources.

The one thing is, make sure that it is an ATM. I had my card get temporarily eaten by a machine which looked like an ATM but wasn't. There are English signs up in Tokyo airport that do point you to them, so follow them carefully.

rass

legend166 said:
Speaking of cars and crashes, I'm looking at places to get insurance.

I drive a 2003 Corolla. I don't own it, but I guess I could be considered the main driver. I mainly drive it 5 minutes to and from the train station and to my church a couple times a week, which is about 20 minutes away. So nothing big at all. I think the car is valued at around $13000 or so.

According to Bingle, my premium if I'm down as the main driver is $1800 with a $1450 excess. Which is highway robbery since I've never been in a crash and never even got a speeding ticket after 4 years of having my full licence.

Now, if I put my mum as main driver of the car (she does drive it) and don't list me at all, it's $513 with a $2250 excess if I crash and am at fault.

So if I crash with the former cover, I'm down $1800 yearly premium + $1450 excess. If I crash with the latter I'm down $513 + $2250 excess.

So putting my mum down is cheaper even with the big excess, but is it illegal?

Damn insurance is such a rip off. Bogans under 25 with their Commodores crashing all over the place ruining it for the rest of us.
Put your mum down as the main driver and have yourself as a named driver on the policy - that way you still build up to rating 1 and don't get a ridiculous premium. I did this from 18-22. If I hadn't had an accident at 22 my car premium would be down around $450-$500. Try looking up motorcycle insurance quotes on a $13,000 bike :'(
I assume you are 22?

Agyar

Shaneus said:
Waiting for Paypal to use parity as an exchange rate. Could take a while :lol
(Edit: Paypal conversion rate, $1AU = 0.970783 US Dollars. Bastards)

You will never exchange rates you pull from Google Finance/XE applied by Paypal as they include the conversion fees etc to the rate. Even when you use your credit card, the rate is usually slightly behind the current FX rate and then they hit you with a 2-3% fee. Once you factor in those fees the Paypal rate is pretty close, maybe a little short.

It's the same no matter how you exchange currency, someone is always taking a cut or applying fees.

Agyar

Clipper said:
Wait, what? Don't exchange here. Find an ATM in the airport in Japan and just withdraw the cash you want to use. This'll work as long as you have Cirrus or Maestro on your card (which almost all do) and your bank's fees for foreign transactions are almost certainly less than the fees for trying to get Yen in Australia from any of the sources.

The one thing is, make sure that it is an ATM. I had my card get temporarily eaten by a machine which looked like an ATM but wasn't. There are English signs up in Tokyo airport that do point you to them, so follow them carefully.

This is true, you usually get better conversion rates in the Country itself. Also, if you have time to shop around, some banks have cards with much lower foreign trasnaction fees that are great for travel.

legend166

rass said:
Put your mum down as the main driver and have yourself as a named driver on the policy - that way you still build up to rating 1 and don't get a ridiculous premium. I did this from 18-22. If I hadn't had an accident at 22 my car premium would be down around $450-$500. Try looking up motorcycle insurance quotes on a $13,000 bike :'(
I assume you are 22?

Even when I'm down as a listed driver it's still $1800 compared to $500.

I'll check some other sites.

rass

legend166 said:
Even when I'm down as a listed driver it's still $1800 compared to $500.

I'll check some other sites.
brutal, maybe RACV works differently. I know mum's premium was up at $900 when I was listed, it was a 1999 AUII falcon.
If it makes you feel any better, 2 years ago I payed $1300 (on a $7500 car) and I now pay $700. Next year it will dive again because insurance won't look at my accident any more.

Choc

Banned
legend

real.com.au

pay as you drive insurance

you buy a block of kilometres for a premium, the less you drive the less you pay

also, you're a youngin, your going to get slapped with a high premium, even if you are NOT the primary driver

it used to be if you were under 25 you got slapped now its if you are under 30.

get used to it......

Choc

Banned
Clipper said:

wtf was it then

legend166

Choc said:
legend

real.com.au

pay as you drive insurance

you buy a block of kilometres for a premium, the less you drive the less you pay

also, you're a youngin, your going to get slapped with a high premium, even if you are NOT the primary driver

it used to be if you were under 25 you got slapped now its if you are under 30.

get used to it......

why would you send me to the real media site?

;)

Clipper

Choc said:
wtf was it then
I never really figured it out. Some sort of company-based thing that happened to be sitting out in the open near where the map said the ATMs were (they were actually hidden behind a column nearby). It must have set off some sort of alarm, though, as a man came over shortly after I realised my card was stuck and he opened the machine to extract my card, then pointed me to the real ATMs.

Bernbaum said:
Pre-soiled panty dispenser.

Easy mistake.
Heh. I was looking out to see if I could find one of those on the trip, but I didn't. The main vending machine in my hotel was branded as and dispensed Thorpe Water, though...

Agyar

Mar said:
Yeah, I have 'some' of those. I'll take it off your hands if you're just going to chuck it though.

I just want you to know that I'm here for you. I know it's hard to admit you have a problem, but when you're ready I will help you get through the tough times ahead.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
legend166 said:
TPG offering unlimited ADSL2+ for $59/month.

I might have to bite.

Changed to it yesterday, left Steam, Torrents, Xbox and my Mac updating all night. Many gigs were downloaded.

BanShunsaku said:

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom