• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerity

According to the site the NBN was available in my suburb from last month, been getting mail spam from TPG. They've installed the nodes around the place but do they install the NBN boxes on the houses first or only when you sign up?

I'm on a completely separate FTTN system, non NBN.

99% sure they'll get someone out to install it once you sign up. Given it's TPG (Vocus?) and not NBN they'd run into all sorts of legal issues installing them first and asking if you want faster internet later.

Back from Wonder Woman. Was alright...was mostly just meh on the big super powered battle, but that always bores me in supers. Gal was great (the reason I went, mostly. That and wanting to support female led films of this sort). Some grumbling was made over some of the mythological elements and changes there.

Did remind me a fair bit of the first Cap film, I guess to be expected as its part a war film. And changing wars didn't really help reduce that much.

Yeah that's why I want to give it a viewing, I really like Cap 1. Has a certain feel to it that Wonder Woman looks like it really captured!

saunderez

According to the site the NBN was available in my suburb from last month, been getting mail spam from TPG. They've installed the nodes around the place but do they install the NBN boxes on the houses first or only when you sign up?

I'm on a completely separate FTTN system, non NBN.

If you're on FTTN there is no NBN box. It just uses the existing phone line to your house, you replace your ADSL modem with a VDSL one and you're up and running. NBNCo takes about 2 weeks to send someone out to cut you over from the exchange to the node at the pillar. Once you've been cut over to the node the ISP config is a back end change, my ISP claims their automated system can churn people in 15 minutes. No login details or modem configuration needed for most ISPs either so if you have the modem plugged in the day of install it will automagically be working when you get home.

So in short...unless something goes wrong you don't even need to be at home during the install window. Sign up and in 2 weeks or so when NBNCo gets their shit into gear you'll be up and running. As much as I hate the very idea of FTTN, I get about 70Mbps down and 30Mbps up and I can finally do something simple like upload a video to Youtube without it taking hours. It's changed how I use the internet.

If you're on FTTN there is no NBN box. It just uses the existing phone line to your house, you replace your ADSL modem with a VDSL one and you're up and running. NBNCo takes about 2 weeks to send someone out to cut you over from the exchange to the node at the pillar. Once you've been cut over to the node the ISP config is a back end change, my ISP claims their automated system can churn people in 15 minutes. No login details or modem configuration needed for most ISPs either so if you have the modem plugged in the day of install it will automagically be working when you get home.

So in short...unless something goes wrong you don't even need to be at home during the install window. Sign up and in 2 weeks or so when NBNCo gets their shit into gear you'll be up and running. As much as I hate the very idea of FTTN, I get about 70Mbps down and 30Mbps up and I can finally do something simple like upload a video to Youtube without it taking hours. It's changed how I use the internet.

Cool, I'll probably still need the Telsta peeps around to reconnect back onto their system though.

articlexboxracewars.jpg

JBs starting something.

hirokazu

Oh, right, for some reason, I assumed NBN was installed FTTH here he was. If it's FTTN, then yeah, you're going VDSL to the node. If NBN's node is closer than your current one, then you'll get better speeds, but shop around because the prices most ISPs advertise on NBN is 12/1Mbps which ain't right IMO and you have to pay more for faster speed tiers. It might turn out you're better off on TransACT/iiNet.

Prey's price is falling faster than a fast falling thing. It's almost like its being fast tracked to go as a 'free' game on PS+/GwG.

If you have the means to pick it up on PC, it really is best there. Moreso than other games are. Lots of the enemies are small and will lurch around rapidly and/or teleport over short distances, meaning that they're much more enjoyable to fight with a mouse. It really benefits from a greater-than-30 framerate too.

If you have the means to pick it up on PC, it really is best there. Moreso than other games are. Lots of the enemies are small and will lurch around rapidly and/or teleport over short distances, meaning that they're much more enjoyable to fight with a mouse. It really benefits from a greater-than-30 framerate too.

Better than 30 on PC is only a thing if you have a PC that can run it at better than 30. I don't.
My experience with Doom last year showed I should have paid the extra 10 quid to get a console version.

Hey telco/internet question time

We are on ADSL2 with iiNet and have been for years. It's not bad. Always been decent, very few hiccups until recently where it's been slower and slower and we've had issues with netflix and stuff.

I checked and we can get an Optus Cable deal for the same cost, in fact possibly cheaper as we have our phones with optus. This makes me happier as our phone line only comes out in stupid parts of the house where our cable line from a previous owners foxtel comes out in a great location.

They have a deal with the same cost with like 30Mbps or a deal where you pay more and you get 100Mbps.

In practise how is cable vs. ADSL2? WE've been lucky and I think we live near an ADSL interchange so speed until recently has been good. But that 100Mbps sounds lovely... is it just silly to spend that much though?

Shaneus

Travelling to the US west coast next month. Any suggestions?

Will be renting a car from San Francisco and driving to Napa, Yosemite, LA, Vegas and Grand Canyon.
Maybe avoid going on a 5hr+ drive as soon as you get off the plane, especially if it's your first time driving in the US. I did that, driving from DFW to Austin and I honestly don't know how I survived, especially on such little sleep.

In practise how is cable vs. ADSL2?
Just ran a speedtest on my Optus connection to the closest server. It's 09:00 Monday so not a lot of congestion. The result was 92MB down, 1.6MB up, 8ms ping. In peak times it's closer to around 80MB / 1.2MB.

My street will be on HFC NBN soon so I expect the download speeds to probably drop around 50% of that in the next couple of months.

Shaneus

Just ran a speedtest on my Optus connection to the closest server. It's 09:00 Monday so not a lot of congestion. The result was 92MB down, 1.6MB up, 8ms ping. In peak times it's closer to around 80MB / 1.2MB.

My street will be on HFC NBN soon so I expect the download speeds to probably drop around 50% of that in the next couple of months.
Mega*bytes*? Damn, that's not bad at all.

Maybe avoid going on a 5hr+ drive as soon as you get off the plane, especially if it's your first time driving in the US. I did that, driving from DFW to Austin and I honestly don't know how I survived, especially on such little sleep.

Yeah I won't be driving as soon as I get off the plane, and I have driven from Toronto to New York 2 years ago.

hirokazu

We are on ADSL2 with iiNet and have been for years. It's not bad. Always been decent, very few hiccups until recently where it's been slower and slower and we've had issues with netflix and stuff.

I checked and we can get an Optus Cable deal for the same cost, in fact possibly cheaper as we have our phones with optus. This makes me happier as our phone line only comes out in stupid parts of the house where our cable line from a previous owners foxtel comes out in a great location.

They have a deal with the same cost with like 30Mbps or a deal where you pay more and you get 100Mbps.

In practise how is cable vs. ADSL2? WE've been lucky and I think we live near an ADSL interchange so speed until recently has been good. But that 100Mbps sounds lovely... is it just silly to spend that much though?
Optus operates their own cable network separate from Telstra/Foxtel, so unless the previous owner's Foxtel was with Optus, they'd have to come and connect your house to Optus Cable. Apart from that, no issues unless Optus no longer connects customers to Cable if they don't already have it hooked up.

Cable is a good deal better than ADSL2+, so you're bound to see an improvement, particularly if you get the 100Mbp upgrade, but upload speed is still shit.

Check about static IP addresses if you're using that service on ADSL2.

I've just switched from adsl2+ to cable.

It's a massive improvement and cost wise barely an extra $10/month.

Well worth it.

ADSL2+ (depending on distance from node): 8-12 MBPS down 1 MBPS up
Cable: 26-30 MBPS down 2 MBPS up

With Adsl2+ getting even 1mbps up was a dream. Realistic upload was 0.6 MBPS.
On cable I'm getting 1.8-2.2 MBPS upload, which is still low but a huge improvement over adsl.

Adsl2+ was costing me $70/month (incl of phone line rental) for unlimited plan
Cable is $80/month with free YesTV set top box from Optus and some free channels.

2892869954.png

2892924763.png

Dryk

I don't know how long I can keep interacting with the cold unfeeling world of recruitment without stabbing someone :\

When you read the history of the Melbourne gunman you can't help but feel it's a failing of the law or govt or police and this latest event should never have happened:

Yacqub Khayre, was known to police and had a long criminal history.

Khayre was charged and acquitted by a jury over a plot to attack the Holsworthy Army barracks in Sydney in 2009.
Three of his co-accused were found guilty of planning the terrorist attack as payback for Australia's military action in the Middle East.

Khayre was released on parole in November

In 2007, he was charged with armed robbery after holding up passengers on a Melbourne train, leaving one man with knife wounds.

Khayre was convicted of a number of crimes since walking free from the Holsworthy drama and had “recently done some jailtime”

How many chances does a potential or known terrorist/violent criminal get?

When you read the history of the Melbourne gunman you can't help but feel it's a failing of the law or govt or police and this latest event should never have happened:

How many chances does a potential or known terrorist/violent criminal get?

Lots and lots and lots and lots. Similar to DV situations.

Our system doesn't really allow for continued rehab. Just one course and out the door. These people need ongoing psychological attention.

Well that Nintendo direct was disappointing.

As I loading up, "if it's just a pokken rerelease on the switch I'm gonna be sad".

Think I jinxed it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom