• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Gazunta

Aon said:
The Video Game page doesn't list Blade Kitten? I thought that was your brain child.
Nope that was Space Captain Steve's baby. He's been posting some very cool BK stuff via his twitter feed lately. I should put it on the list since I did some of its PR. Oh yeah I forgot to put Game Room on that list too since I did some of the initial design.

Stackboy

Bernbaum said:
Ugh, everyone is using this retarded bullshit 'Instagram' app for their twittering which adds a hipster filter to photos taken on their iPhones.

I hate this too. I just want to see what the picture they have taken looks like, without any saturated colours and grainy images, for arts sake. Twitpic fo' life.

jambo

I remember when all that DNF stuff came out a couple of years ago, I read through a lot of the story stuff and now I kinda regret it. Back then I never thought there was a snowflakes chance in hell that the game would come out.

Legend, have you heard anything about your flights and the erupting volcano? Might want to keep an eye on things, though it's not meant to be anywhere near as bad as the last one.

jambo

codswallop said:
Legend, have you heard anything about your flights and the erupting volcano? Might want to keep an eye on things, though it's not meant to be anywhere near as bad as the last one.

Uhh...

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilderness-resources/blogs/watch-gorgeous-apocalyptic-video-of-iceland-volcano

The Grimsvotn volcano began erupting Saturday at 5:30 p.m. local time on May 21, sending an ash cloud 12 miles into the sky. To give you an idea of scale, more ash was released in the first 48 hours of the eruption (an estimated 120 million tons) than the Eyjafjallajokull volcano released during its entire 2010 eruption.

=\

Bernbaum

New Giant Bomb homepage is looking smart. So much more welcoming.

The news feed is now relevant. Plenty of coverage, and brilliantly penned by Kleppek.

Why we still got Kotakus?

Bernbaum

Here's something I've always just assumed and not really thought about:

The standard of writing in print usually exceeds that of online outlets.

That said, I still don't give a rat's arse about reviews and previews and it's the topical features, opinion pieces, retrospectives and interviews that grab my attention. Those are the nuggets gaming journalism that benefit from the luxury of time afforded by adhering to a print timetable. Writers can put some thought and research into their work as opposed to vomiting out slapped-together diarrea in order to keep up with the online news cycle.

The online arena has levelled the playing field between professional writers and Halo_Fan_93 and it doesn't take much time reading IGN and Gamespot to realise that the opinions and authority of the Greg Millers and Halo_Fan_93's of this world are about on par.

Jintor

Isn't that just a question of standards of effort and research, rather than an inherent difference between online and print cycles?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Butting heads with the DOM in JavaScript is surprisingly rewarding.

Also, learning about server-side scripting has made the Internet a whole lot less magical. It's a shame we're taught ColdFusion in this course, PHP seems much more useful.

Salazar

Bernbaum said:
Here's something I've always just assumed and not really thought about:

The standard of writing in print usually exceeds that of online outlets.

Editors and sub-editors have their uses.

Fairfax are apparently about to sack 84 or so sub-editors. They want me to hate them.

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
Legend: Just a thought... you have insurance on your trip, right? If not, probably a good time to buy some.

travel insurance does not cover loss due to volcanic eruption

it was added after last year

Choc

Banned
I finished LA Noire last night

man the middle of the game draaaaaaaaaaaaaags on but the ending is ok and overall the game is pretty good

the thing is the first four or five hours its awesome, its like wow this is so cool and new but then past that it seems a bit samey, as if they were afraid from mixing things up to much

towards the end of the game something happens which is cool, i just wish they had done that earlier, or more of it.

Choc said:
travel insurance does not cover loss due to volcanic eruption

it was added after last year
Wife works for an insurance company and tells me that if you had insurance prior to 22nd May, you would be covered.

MrSerrels

Trying to give up caffeine. Wondering if it's worth it.

I've consumed roughly eight nurofen in three days combating withdrawal headaches.

I CAN MAKE IT! If I can get past through this week, I can get through ANYTHING!

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
Wife works for an insurance company and tells me that if you had insurance prior to 22nd May, you would be covered.

interesting, the policies ive had recently (NZ, USA, UK) have all stated volcanic eruption is not covered

maybe i shouldnt use covermore anymoer

MrSerrels

Gazunta said:
Totally worth it Serrels, keep at it man

in other news homemade pumpkin soup is the best pumpkin soup

Also - it's near impossible to fuck up cooking pumpkin soup.

I've convinced many, many idiots of my culinary genius with pumpkin soup.

MrSerrels said:

I've consumed roughly eight nurofen in three days combating withdrawal headaches.

have you tried just having one caffeine drink (even a weak tea) in the morning for a bit before going cold turkey? Might help the withdrawl symp...

I feel like a diet coke. I'm going to the fridge. I might be some time

Choc said:
interesting, the policies ive had recently (NZ, USA, UK) have all stated volcanic eruption is not covered

maybe i shouldnt use covermore anymoer
Yeah, we used to use Covermore as well. They're alright if you want basic cover.

The wife works for QBE who underwrite a whole heap of other insurers (but are obviously a bit more expensive). If we'd been with QBE on our last trip I could've had some expensive equipment replaced that the Covermore policy just laughed at.

ClivePwned said:
have you tried just having one caffeine drink (even a weak tea) in the morning for a bit before going cold turkey? Might help the withdrawl symp...
If you have lots of sugar in coffee (or sugary drinks ala Red Bull or Coke), then the lack of sugar probably isn't helping either. In that case, maybe a Sprite or something to get some sugar in could help.

Edit: Whoops...
sp_1411_clip13.jpg

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I've told Serrels this already but I'll share with everyone else, I did cold turkey Pepsi Max cutting out from 2-3 litres a day to nothing for 7 months straight.

Now I don't even like it.

Will have the odd Cola or whatever sometimes now.

MrSerrels

Stackboy said:
How many coffees do you usually drink a day quitter (Serrels)?

I only drink 2 cups a day.

Don't drink any coffee - used to smash tea though. Tally ho old bean.

And yeah Vooks - 3 litres a day is insane man. Six cans was my usual.

Danoss

MrSerrels said:

Good on ya man. I gave up caffeine years ago and felt so much better for it. I know the headaches are splitting, but it is so worth persevering through them. If anything, those headaches are a great indication of how bad that shit is for you on a regular basis.

You will soon realise the regular "kick" it gave you in the morning was non-existent. All it did was bring you up to the level you would have been at if you weren't addicted to caffeine and didn't have any. I hope that made sense.

You may also note that water is the king of all drinks. Milk is good too.

I do have the occasional coke/pepsi with a mixed drink, but prefer to avoid it if possible. Tea on the other hand is great, though I only have a few glasses a week (more of a pleasure drink than a habit). One good thing about green, oolong and white tea, is they are quite low in caffeine and offer it as a slow release, rather than as a hit.

jambo

I've been slowly drinking less and less coke, I had some on the weekend (black doctor) and it was so strong.

MrSerrels said:
Don't drink any coffee - used to smash tea though. Tally ho old bean.

And yeah Vooks - 3 litres a day is insane man. Six cans was my usual.

Six cans is 2.25 litres =P

Omikron

Try rooibos tea. Tea flavour and 0 caffeine, instead of the green tea option which has just as much as coffee depending on the type of green tea you drink.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
VOOK said:
I've told Serrels this already but I'll share with everyone else, I did cold turkey Pepsi Max cutting out from 2-3 litres a day to nothing for 7 months straight.

Pretty much the same here. Although it wasn't specifically pepsi max, Just general soft drink.

I'm not 100% sure what caused me to stop drinking it, I think it might have been because my teeth suck so much, Now i'm a 99% water man.

There's the rare occasion when I will feel like a soft drink, maybe once a month if that and i will go for it.

Shaneus

VOOK said:

Wow, seriously? I admire you.

Seeing as I'm low-carbing it at the moment, it's definitely not as bad for you as anything with buckets of sugar in it. Fruit juice included.

Top Bottom