• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

legend166 said:
I'm going for a month. I figure, pack for a week.
I'd say 3 pairs of shorts and 2 pairs of pants as an absolute maximum for a month. If you wear your clothes twice that means you'll need to do a wash three times. Personally I'd just hang them up after the first wear to air out to get three wears out of them. Depends on whether you sweat a lot, or go to places with lots of smokers etc. Also underwear should be worn a maximum of twice (preferably once, but depends on lots of stuff) before washing IMO.

I managed to spend a month away with only washing a hoodie once because it was alright. Cleanliness standards when on holiday for me plummet though...

legend166 said:
How early should I get to the airport if the flight leaves at 2pm?
Check in opens three hours before the flight and usually closed 60-90 minutes before.

jambo

Clipper said:
Who is actually collecting the data from that survey? Is it officially linked from a government page?

Attorney General's Department, admin of a gaming site sent it to me in chat.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
codswallop said:
Check in opens three hours before the flight and usually closed 60-90 minutes before.

And then get there and hour earlier than that..

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
How early should I get to the airport if the flight leaves at 2pm?

you need to be through check in with 90 to go. That's when they close

a good rule is 2 hrs, especially that time of day. you have asian, european, nz, and american flights all due around the time you are leaving so it will be very busy.

when you get a 6am flight, you raelly can rock up at 4:25am and be fine.

getting a taxi or train legend? if the train do not expect one every 10 minutes to be on time. Train can be very risky, as those trains can be delayed by other lines.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
My mum is dropping us off.

do whatever you need to, but make sure that you do not leave without the passports.

i usually put mine with my wallet hte night before.

EDIT: if in doubt on incoming passenger cards for the nations you visit tick yes, a declaration as a mistake is far far more welcome to customs then a wrong selection and they find something later

every nation you enter will have incoming passenger cards. It's declaring food etc etc

When you return to oz be very careful as we have very tight customs who crack down on anything, even if its a mistake.

When you catch the Eurostar, get there EARLY, like an airline they close early due to international restrictions and customs requirements.

And i know you guys aren't dodgy but ALWAYS make sure you have your stories straight, especially when travelling into the UK.

If you say you are going to London and your sister says to someone elses or something and you are clearly travelling together, customs will want to deal with you more, especially from france to UK and especially when you are on NON-EU passports like you will be.

Don't expect to get through De Gaulle airport quickly either, the queues in customs in europe are crazy

choodi

Banned
Planet_JASE said:
Proving to all that I'm my own man, make my own decisions and the rest of the world can fuck off and leave me to do what *I* want to do... I'm reading Game of Thrones to be contrary.

4% in and it's chucking names, histories and connections at me like I'm a literary idiot savant. I can't remember all these people, George R. R. Martin. This is madness.

MADNESS!!

Same happened to me, but by the time you get into the second book, he has reinforced all of the characters and history for you so many times that you wont have any problem remembering all the links and who all the characters are.

Just keep going and enjoy the complete roller coaster that is A Song of Ice and Fire!

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
My sister has her UK passport.

even more reason to get your stories straight

also, if she isn't your friend, she will join the EU lines @ customs and get through in 20 mins whilst you wait 1-2 hrs

:p

Clipper

I made these for the E3 conferences thread, but it's mostly for us so I thought I'd post them here too:

12 hour times on the left, 24 hour times on the right.

E3times.png
e3times24.png

Clipper said:
I made these for the E3 conferences thread, but it's mostly for us so I thought I'd post them here too:
I've created an iCal, which you can subscribe to with any iCal-supporting calendar (Outlook, Google Calendar, Thunderbird etc all work): https://www.google.com/calendar/ica...2c@group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

It'll do all the hard work for you.

Jintor said:
Don't forget to photocopy your passports
And put the scans online (somewhere secure, Google Documents, personal webspace with password protection) if you can!

Dead Man

Clipper said:
They also screen your checked bags. In the cabin, you could assemble a bomb from various liquids that are nicely separate to begin with. In your checked baggage, they all need to be set up with some sort of trigger mechanism that would be easily spotted in an X-ray.

Who is actually collecting the data from that survey? Is it officially linked from a government page?
According to the blurb at the end, it is the Attorney Generals Dept: 'The Attorney-General’s Department is collecting the information on this form to provide advice to classification Ministers in deciding on the introduction of an R18+ category for computer games and proposed draft Guidelines for the Classification of Computer Games. Personal information will not be included when the feedback is collated and provided to classification Ministers or otherwise made public.'
Clipper said:

12 hour times on the left, 24 hour times on the right.

E3times.png
e3times24.png
Awesome work.

Clipper

Thanks for the thanks, guys :).

Incidentally, it's really easy to add new conferences or time zones (I did it all in Excel except converting to .png, including the conditional formatting for the colours), so if there's anything else to be added, let me know...

Shaneus

Some people might want Actiblizzard, but I'm just putting it out there... I have no personal interest in it.

I'm just hoping that Double Fine are able to show off their Sesame Street game.

Madrical

Banned
Thanks for the chart, sucks that Sony is at 8am on a Tuesday, I think I'll take that morning off work and head in after around lunchtime. Even though it always ends in disappointment, I still love watching the keynote speeches.

Darklord

Banned
Why is Sony on at 10AM? I don't remember any conference starting that late. The latest of the big 3 was always like 3am or something. It's the day I'm working too. I'd rather it be 3am! :(

funk0ar

Legend if you have 3 pants and 4 shorts for a month in Europe you have WAY to much. I came over with 4 pairs and pants and 2 shorts, during winter and I've been working/travelling here now since December. Also, you will want to buy things, you'll loose things and find things. Plus sometimes you have to carry that shit around for hours. Pack light.

Frawdder

Thanks for the handy chart, Clipper. I'd figured out the times already but this is a nice little reference image.

Sony starting at 9:30 means a very long night, hopefully chatting with the few other AusGaffers that are stupid enough to be up watching these things throughout the night. It also means I'm skipping Uni that day, boring class anyway so no great loss there.

hamchan

Thanks Clipper, it's gonna be fun staying up at 2am to watch press conferences.

Also need the time for the Konami conference!

Dead Man

I think I'll only watch the 3 majors, MS, Sony, Ninty. I need some sleep, at some point, so I'll catch a bit between MS and Sony, then catch all the Nintendo action.

3chopl0x said:
So what are the best sites to watch it live here?
There are usually a bunch of links in the official thread.

Frawdder said:
Thanks for the handy chart, Clipper. I'd figured out the times already but this is a nice little reference image.

Sony starting at 9:30 means a very long night, hopefully chatting with the few other AusGaffers that are stupid enough to be up watching these things throughout the night. It also means I'm skipping Uni that day, boring class anyway so no great loss there.

I think it's 9.30am dude.

Deeku

Ooo nice chart clipper!

I'll only watch the Sony one. Nintendo's conference is a day before a tough exam so staying up all night is probably not a good idea.

Frawdder

OneMoreQuestion said:
I think it's 9.30am dude.
Yes, I know. I was referring to the fact that it all kicks off at 1:30am and goes right through to 10:30-11:30am (depending on how long Sony runs for). That makes for a long night.

3chopl0x said:
So what are the best sites to watch it live here?
I'd imagine that the usual big sites will have their stream going, Gametrailers, Gamespot, IGN. Can't think of any others off the top of my head but I do recall there being about 5 or 6 decent quality streams that people could choose from last year.

Shaneus

As much as I'd like to see them live, it may actually be more fun to read the official threads like they're live feeds. If you can read them in real time, they're almost as good as watching the actual footage.

I remember reading the thread a few years ago for MS where they announced Crackdown 2. People fair square lost their shit.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
hamchan said:

Watched last years atleast 4 - 5 times.. even downloaded it..

Clipper

hamchan said:

The last year or two, I have gone to bed early, at 9pm and woken up by alarm at 2am instead. I can easily function off 5 hours sleep, so it works well. This year, I can even have another nap in the morning after Nintendo as Sony isn't following it, which is nice.

On the Konami one, once there's a time, I'll add it. Is there a time already? I just checked, and they seem to be doing a new pre-show thing on the 2nd which might replace the conference from last year. I guess we'll find out then.

commanderdeek said:
Ooo nice chart clipper!

I'll only watch the Sony one. Nintendo's conference is a day before a tough exam so staying up all night is probably not a good idea.
Yeah, that's probably a good idea. I have enjoyed waking in the morning to read a nice summary live blog of the conference all in one go rather than needing to wait for updates. It'd be a great way to wind down from an exam :).

Frawdder said:
I'd imagine that the usual big sites will have their stream going, Gametrailers, Gamespot, IGN. Can't think of any others off the top of my head but I do recall there being about 5 or 6 decent quality streams that people could choose from last year.
Nintendo also does their own live stream for their conference. It was definitely the best of last year's offerings as they put bonus recorded interviews after the conference ends and stuff.

Choc said:
No liquids are allowed on any (Australian only rule) cabin flying into australia so on your stopover when you are boarding the flight they will check your bag and remove the liquids if you have some, no matter how small.
Last year I flew back into the country with liquids in my cabin luggage... Sometimes I find it's the person at customs which is the biggest deciding factor on what is or isn't allowed.

Danoss said:
If I was a terrorist, I could just have a remote detonator in my carry-on and the receiver in my luggage in the cargo hold. Plane still blows with barely any inconvenience.
I would recommend stating this to the customs officer. They're usually really understanding when you explain this to them.

Don't do this

Danoss said:
I could homebrew an NDS app to transmit on wi-fi, I doubt they'd pick up on that one. I could do the same thing on a smartphone. I could build one into my watch, James Bond style. None of these would look out of place.
Make sure you explain this part to them; it will be important to your overall debate and will probably result in you winning the war of words with them.

I am a horrible person

On the general subject of how many clothes to take, I've learned over time to take less and less. My first overseas holiday I was packed to the brim with useless shit that I never wore. Every day that I carried that bag I berated myself for being an idiot.

I've found that when I'm on holiday, I really end up wearing the same clothes over and over again. There may be the odd day that I wore a different pair of pants but that was usually if Preferential Pants#1 were still wet from being washed.

To save yourself some room, get a couple of pants that turn into shorts when you zip off the legs. You save room and can control your comfort levels throughout the day! Hot during the day? Get those legs out on display by zipping those bad boys off. Little bit chilly or the locals are laughing at your legs? Whack on the lower legs and hide your shame.

My last holiday I shaved down my clothes so much that I almost felt the need to put more back because my bag was so light and empty. I still took too much. Having said all that, I think everyone learns this lesson only by overpacking and suffering through the back pain on holiday :)

choodi said:
Same happened to me, but by the time you get into the second book, he has reinforced all of the characters and history for you so many times that you wont have any problem remembering all the links and who all the characters are.

Just keep going and enjoy the complete roller coaster that is A Song of Ice and Fire!
I've bookmarked the appendix and have steeled myself to be a page flippin' fool for the rest of the book.

Quick question to everyone: Should the appendix only be used when you need to get specific background info? i.e. would just reading the entirety of the section just be a spoiler fest of horrific proportions?

Clipper said:
Is there bound to be anything exciting coming out of E3 this year? Apart from Nintendo's Project Cafe, that is.

Planet_JASE said:
I've bookmarked the appendix and have steeled myself to be a page flippin' fool for the rest of the book.

Quick question to everyone: Should the appendix only be used when you need to get specific background info? i.e. would just reading the entirety of the section just be a spoiler fest of horrific proportions?

Fear not, there are no spoilers in the appendix.

What is nice though is that the appendixes are updated every book, in case you forget some of the events from previous volumes. So obviously there will be spoilers for A Games of Thrones in the appendix of A Clash of Kings.

Stackboy

I'll be up for MS's announcements, but I'm going to Yo Gabba Gabba that morning with my sister and her kids (don't judge, but I am excited). Guess I will catch Sonys and Nintendos once I get home.

legend166

You guys convinced me to take out one pair of pants. That's it :D

I'm at around 18kg for my checked, and about 1.5 kg for my hand luggage. So plenty of space to bring stuff back.

Problem is I have to take crappy dress shoes for this wedding, along with business pants and a business shirt. I drew the line at taking the damn jacket.

jambo said:
GTA IV MP is ri-goddamn-diculous fun! Played for about 3-4 hours last night doing stunts and huge battles with a bunch of Aussies from the Internode GON Forums.
I'll second that. Any game that lets you steal a helicopter, aim it at someone on foot and dive out at the last minute, smashing a helicopter into them is OK by me.

legend166 said:
Good job. If you run into problems there's always places like H&M which are abundant in Europe and you'll be able to get stuff there easily. H&M sell casual up to dressy -- everything from cargo shorts up to suits.

Have a great trip, man.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:

I'm at around 18kg for my checked, and about 1.5 kg for my hand luggage. So plenty of space to bring stuff back.

Problem is I have to take crappy dress shoes for this wedding, along with business pants and a business shirt. I drew the line at taking the damn jacket.

you may regret not taking said jacket given UK weather, even in the height of summer it can get bloody cold over there.

4kg to bring stuff back?

Legend its amazing how much your bag weight increases overseas for no good reason. Last time i didn't buy anything (bought a few discs home sure but discs!, nothing!) and my bag expanded about 3-4kg in weight

for no good reason!

1.5kg for in cabin luggage, what the heck are you not taking? thats tiny :D

gives you lots of room to bring stuff back i guess.

Choc

Banned
ok so post E3 i am going to NZ and i have decided to take some leave and drive around the place seeing the sights

for those who have been to NZ (ive been there before but just for work), what is the stuff that i just can't miss when there.

I will most likely only be able to do the north island in the time i have which is a bit of a shame, but im not game to go near CHCH at the moment.

Top Bottom