• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Rahk

Kritz said:
Terraria (I think? The name is terrible) is a fantastic loot driven game. Me, Xenos, Rahk and Fred have a bunch of sweet loot we could probably hand out for free, but honestly it'll be more fun for you if you kinda just um

Earn a lot of the cool loot yourself.

When I started, everyone already had gold armour and grappling hooks and all other kinds of noise. Even if everyone outclasses your shit, and we will, it'll probably be way cooler for us to help you earn shit, or you explore on your own.

But, yo, game's amazing. We've only really "defeated" (you can't defeat areas but you can be kinda done with their content) the jungle area, we still have dungeons and hell and skylands and one or two more areas to go.
Yeah, I'm not sure it would be as fun to just begin with all the best weapons etc. Miss out on all the exploration.

Jintor said:
Suck it up and spend $100 on some Seinheissers. (But fi you can find it, the Razer Orca is rad as shit and super comforatble).

I actually ended up forgetting about a mic and just getting a pair of these for $49. Sound quality is good, they are super comfortable and fit over my ears nicely.

Also, been catching up with Community... just watched the D&D episode. So awesome!

Jintor

I lost interest halfway through s2 of Community. Just too busy and, well, didn't feel like bunkering down to watch it.

Also, I've broken 3 of those headphones as well

Rezbit said:
Very interesting and complex issue. Was this part of a teaching qualification? I taught in the Kimberley, so it is an issue close to me.

Yeah, I'm in my final year of an Education degree (primary trained), can't wait until I can get out there. You primary or secondary trained? Would love to teach in the kimberley, my fiance' is Aboriginal so I have strong links to the Indigenous community, I would love to make a difference in one of the remote schools.

@HolyCheck: I would have been pissed, hopefully that doesn't happen to me. :)

Madrical

Banned
Danoss said:
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD555 that I got for cheap that I use for gaming, they're comfy enough to wear for hours on end. My other pair are Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, which I prefer to listen to music with. Not flash, but it sounds nice for the price, especially coming out of the bit-perfect Xonar Essence STX sound card.

I'm currently back to slowly saving for a pair of Audeze LCD-2, headamp and DAC to suit. Meier Audio seem to have discontinued his Corda Concerto amp which was a perfect fit for those phones was available as a combo with their StageDAC. :(

Don't even joke about that.
Oh nice, I have the HD 280 PRO. Super comfy and noise cancelling, great for the plane.

Cheers for the heads up, I'll have a look. After my experience with their turntables, might look at getting an Audio-Technica pair, they seem to be a really solid brand.

Shaneus

Danoss said:
I'm picking up these next time. I've heard good things.
I have those! I bought them from the manufacturers website and got em for around $30 (from memory) cheaper. Make sure you get some foam tips, they're linked on that same page... though if you can, get the black ones :)

PS. Don't expect a shitload of bottom end but the flattest response you'll ever hear from canalphones. If you can, get a preamp too! I recommend the Fiio E1 if you have an iPhone.

Danoss

Sutton Dagger said:
You watching the footy, such an awesome game? Go Manly!!! ;)
I am indeed watching the footy. Manly have put on quite the show tonight, making me especially happy since I tipped them. I love watching Kieran Foran at work, he's awesome. The Foran > Stewart > Cherry-Evans try was absolutely incredible. Damn I love footy!

Thanks Frawdder and Shaneus for backing up on the canalphone info, I'm extra keen to pick up a pair now. :) A preamp would be a good idea, since they're 64ohm, it's not high, but not exactly low impedance. I'm running a Nexus S, which plays music just fine but is a little on the quiet side.

Danoss said:
I am indeed watching the footy. Manly have put on quite the show tonight, making me especially happy since I tipped them. I love watching Kieran Foran at work, he's awesome. The Foran > Stewart > Cherry-Evans try was absolutely incredible. Damn I love footy!

Great win by the boys. Seriously that try was one of the best I have ever seen. Looks like we really are in the comp this year.

You going to the second SoO?

Danoss said:
Sure am. I'm in the Blues supporters bay, so I'll be rocking the blue shirt and wig. :)

You?

Not sure yet, I think I have a bloody Internship meet-up night on the Wed :(

In other news, Amazon just launched their own Apple software store...interesting.

Danoss

Sutton Dagger said:
Not sure yet, I think I have a bloody Internship meet-up night on the Wed :(
Sucks man. If there's a late change and there's tickets free still, it's only $60 for the bay I'm in, which is great value.

Looks like the Dogs are shitting all over the Titans lawn. As much as I hate the Dogs, I tipped 'em, so they can keep it up (as long as I get to see Idris pummeled a number of times, the big oaf).

jambo

Going to either play GTAIV SP or BFBC2, not sure... thoughts?

Danoss said:
ieCcY.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Danoss said:
Looks like the Dogs are shitting all over the Titans lawn. As much as I hate the Dogs, I tipped 'em, so they can keep it up (as long as I get to see Idris pummeled a number of times, the big oaf).

I hope its not another blowout like the broncos games.

I'm just annoyed I had forgotten it was a doubleheader at Suncorp tonight, I would have gone.

Danoss

These impotency ads are cracking me up, I've never seen them before. They seem so out of place every time.

"Romance can happen at any time... unless you're a man with erection problems..."

Salazar

92%. Come on, Steam.

Just bought series 2 and 3 of The Thick of It. I watched the specials again last night, and Tucker is just godlike.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Due to curiosity I picked up an el cheapo energy reader from coles since I wanted to see how much power the old PC used. From the 20 minutes of testing this is what I found out.

Idle: 145 - 150w avg
BC2: 210w avg, I figured this game would stress my system out the most. Alpha Protocol was giving me around 190.
1080p video: 185w

I have no idea what our energy cost per hour is, So going by another guys over at OCAU this is what I get. Calculations are as follows.

Usage(w) /1000 = 1 hours use in kWh
1 hours use * 24 = kWh of 1 days usage
Days usage * 30 = Approx kWh of monthly usage
Monthly usage * electricity rate (13.54 in my case) = Cost in cents to run for a month.

Gives me $14.60c every month, for an entire year it's $175.

Now i've been thinking about building a small NAS/HTPC combo box that would stay on all day doing it's thing while my gaming pc was off when I was at work and sleeping. I found another post going by about the same setup I had in mind, 37w idle was his result with 5 HDDS. Bump that to say 42 for another HDD and 1 SSD and it sounds about right.

That build would cost $4 to run per month for about $50 a year. So $125 a year on average I guess on energy saving. Of course it would cost you like $500 to build so it's going to take a few years to pay off.

If I was to run the nas/htpc 24/7 and use my PC for an average of 5hrs a day after work and 10hrs on the weekend it would be around $8 a month.

I'm still tempted to build the box even though I don't live on my own or pay the bills. Backing your shit up is important as they say and it would be nice if my main rig didn't think it was a Dyson, Sucking up every bit of dust it could find.

Calculating meaningless shit on a Saturday morning sure is fun.

AP time!

Choc said:
Yeah, saw that yesterday, but is it actually a video game or just a crazy Japanese computer animated thing?

evlcookie said:
Backing your shit up is important as they say
If you're going to build a single NAS box, that's still not "backup", even if you have redundancy across disks. If you have actual important data you want backed up, follow the 3-2-1 strategy: 3 backups, 2 different media, 1 offsite.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
codswallop said:
If you're going to build a single NAS box, that's still not "backup", even if you have redundancy across disks. If you have actual important data you want backed up, follow the 3-2-1 strategy: 3 backups, 2 different media, 1 offsite.

It's just media, So nothing too important. I have my gamesaves backed up over dropbox.

A simple 2 drive backup for specific types of media should be enough. Of course if both explode at the same time then whoops. I doubt I will cry over it though.

Just finished alpha protocol, I got to shag 3 chicks so GOTY right there. I think i may have skipped past the story aspect of the end but here's how it went.

executed the guy that looks like that guy from half life, executed leyland and took off on the boat with scarlett

I'm guessing there may have been more over the ending titles, whoops.

senahorse

As a few of us have pretty much got all of the good gear and beaten all the bosses, the server is being turned off until more content or something comes along.

Danoss

x3n05 said:
As a few of us have pretty much got all of the good gear and beaten all the bosses, the server is being turned off until more content or something comes along.
Glad I saved my money.

Deeku

Fucking Demon's Souls! I leave you on my shelf for a year declaring that I do not have the time nor patience to deal with your nonsense, and now you suddenly decide to make sense and get me all addicted a week before my exams???

If only my exams had a wiki:(

Danoss

x3n05 said:
Considering for $7 we got between 30-40 hours of gameplay I think we did OK :D.
Not what I mean. I was looking to buy it yesterday and join for some gametime late last night (you'd stopped playing by then I would presume). Then you declare today you won't be playing again until new content is available.

So, I would have spent $10 for 0 hours worth of gameplay. I wouldn't have done OK.

Cohsae

Rubixcuba said:
Seeing Jebediah tonight AusGaf, anyone else been to their shows of late? Soooo excite.
I don't really care for their new stuff, but maaaaaaan Animal and Leaving Home are SO GOOD.GIF

Jintor

Danoss said:
Not what I mean. I was looking to buy it yesterday and join for some gametime late last night (you'd stopped playing by then I would presume). Then you declare today you won't be playing again until new content is available.

So, I would have spent $10 for 0 hours worth of gameplay. I wouldn't have done OK.

Well, I'm glad I just picked up Frozen Synapse instead

Soo I'm trying to get DOWII Retribution off D2D but it's only for sale to the americans and mexicans. What's a good, free service available to change my IP eg. Hotspot Shield (which isn't working for me right now)?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
we (myself and two others) have a place and the rent is going up, so we're looking for a fourth person. south-east Melbourne.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Rez said:
we (myself and two others) have a place and the rent is going up, so we're looking for a fourth person. south-east Melbourne.

this is interesting :)

do you have msn or skype? or go on steam !

edit: south melbourne east.. or like south east melbourne miles away from the cbd?

Rahk

Danoss said:

It's really the kind of game that you need to play from the beginning with other people. A lot of the enjoyment comes from exploring the map, mining and finding loot. So it probably would have been pointless to play with us since we'd already been through most of the content on that map and have the best loot.

Single player is still fun though.

Top Bottom