• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

r1chard

Salazar said:
Mouse Guard.

And Bone.
Read 'em. Didn't really get into Mouse Guard for some reason. Bone though was great stuff. My daughter (7) just finished Bone as well and is re-reading bits. Such an awesome book.

Gazunta said:
Blankets.

Box Office Poison.

Cerebus.
Awesome suggestions. You've reminded me about Cerebus, which I'd been told about a few years ago. List growing! :)

Choc

Banned
ClivePwned said:
so two things that don't understand Australian accents.
Kinect and Taxi Drivers in Australia.

:lol

serrels you should buy that shirt and wear it to the next AU MS press event :)

Jintor

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Got about 30 so far myself. Taking walks through the CBD at lunchtime does rack up the numbers. Also, if you spot a big group of Asian kids just hanging out, just walk in their general direction without being racist or stereotypical about it.

Some non-asian chick asked my friend directions today (he's Vietnamese) and when he told her where to go, she bowed low, said "XIE XIE (or tried to, anyway) and rushed off before he could say anything. >>

r1chard said:
So, anyone read anything recently they can recommend?
Previously I've read Sandman, Crossed, Preacher, Fables, Powers, Stormwatch, The Authority, Transmet, I Kill Giants, Battle Angel Alita, 100 bullets, Top Ten, Bone, Freakangels, Y: The Last Man, Doktor Sleepless, ... and geez, more stuff I can't remember :)
You NEED Scott Pilgrim, Joe Kelly run of Deadpool and Suicide Kings (basically anything by Mike Benson), Hellblazer - Hard Time, The Garth Ennis run of Hellblazer, Warren Ellis, Joker by Brian Azzarello. Along with all the usual ones that pop up. Oh and Batman: Hush, my fav Batman book.

MrSerrels said:
This is hilarious - Aussies still don't have Kinect voice control.
And we won't get it until Kinect Australia gets 1 Million likes on Facebook!

Choc said:
CHANNEL 9 has reignited the Sydney versus Melbourne feud, promoting national program A Current Affair by trashing Sydney as out of touch with the rest of the country.
Everyone knows that Victorians are the master race. Other states can just suck it.

Choc said:
EBGamesAus EB Games Australia
#EBAUEBX11 Bit of a technical difficulty with online Expo Tix. Stay tuned to FB and Twitter we'll keep you updated once tixs are available.

couldnt organise a piss up in a pub let alone a major event like this.
The real question is how much alcohol is available for purchase at the expo? If I can't get wasted I have no interest in a cafe.

jambo said:
I just got an email from Gearbox about the First Access Club for Duke Nukem Forever. We all get a free DLC MP pack :D
Oh joy. Probably Day One as well just to segregate the community.

Choc said:
yay psn store

LA Noire DLC :D
Already punched in your cc details? ;)

Shaneus said:
I think I've only ever bought one of my consoles day one... the 360. Didn't regret it either, as I still have my faux-carbon fibre PGR3 faceplate sitting on it. Looks badass. Almost everything else I've been a significantly late adopter on (except the original Xbox, which I got as soon as a Halo bundle came out for it).
Went Day One with the 360 and DS, never again. The launch drought gave me strong buyer remorse in retrospect. First year of 360 was what, Amped and Oblivion? Even Gears seemed like a fantastic game at the time. DS was just as bad, thankfully it turned into one of the best platforms ever. Similar tailend to the PS2 with just solid gold games coming out that were better than what was hitting the HD consoles. I will remember Persona 4 and Ghost Trick for a very long time.

Shaneus said:
I just want drivers that let me run Dead Rising 2 and NFS:HP at a decent rate :/
Here is the link you are looking for then!

Jintor

Since I'm now spending my main book money on e-books I guess I can push buying more graphic novels up my priority list.

...after I get some new shoes.

Rahk

r1chard said:
I watched the first couple of eps of the Walking Dead TV series. Not enthralling stuff. Should I give the books a go anyway?
You probably would enjoy the books more. It gets better as it goes along. The TV show is somewhat different and the comic moves a lot faster. Hopefully the TV show picks up a bit next season. They haven't covered any major plot points in the show which take place in early chapters of the comic, but I guess they are building up to them.

jambo

reptilescorpio said:
Everyone knows that Victorians are the master race. Other states can just suck it.

Good thing you didn't use and f or you'd be arrested in Vic ;)

reptilescorpio said:
Oh joy. Probably Day One as well just to segregate the community.

It's not, they are still working on it.

Danoss

r1chard said:
I watched the first couple of eps of the Walking Dead TV series. Not enthralling stuff. Should I give the books a go anyway?

Scott Pilgrim movie was awesomesauce. I should give the books a try, yeah :)
The Walking Dead TV series was atrocious. Guess what Frank Darabont did with all the writing staff for that show? Fired the lot of them. Read the comic, it is brilliant, noting like the show.

By the same writer, Robert Kirkman, there is Invincible. I really don't like superhero comics at all, but Invincible is great, really like no other. I think it's worth a look if you end up liking The Walking Dead.

The Scott Pilgrim books are much better than the movie, which I think is saying something. The movie does miss a lot of the charm that the characters have. If you like the movie even a little bit, you will love the books.

Thinking of book-movie adaptations, I'm not feeling the love for HBO's A Game of Thrones. The TV series seems so dry and flavourless. It may be because I'm so fresh off reading the book, but I don't think so. A lot of the costumes and settings are cool, but I'm not getting even close to the same feel for the characters. I don't think I'm asking too much, it is so far a MASSIVE let down after reading the book that I feel like shutting it off completely. Does anyone else feel the same or am I alone in this?

Jintor said:
Some non-asian chick asked my friend directions today (he's Vietnamese) and when he told her where to go, she bowed low, said "XIE XIE (or tried to, anyway) and rushed off before he could say anything. >>
I laughed way too hard imagining this.

jambo

Jintor said:

Isn't xie xie Mandarin? :lol

MrSerrels

Danoss said:
The Walking Dead TV series was atrocious. Guess what Frank Darabont did with all the writing staff for that show? Fired the lot of them. Read the comic, it is brilliant, noting like the show.

By the same writer, Robert Kirkman, there is Invincible. I really don't like superhero comics at all, but Invincible is great, really like no other. I think it's worth a look if you end up liking The Walking Dead.

The Scott Pilgrim books are much better than the movie, which I think is saying something. The movie does miss a lot of the charm that the characters have. If you like the movie even a little bit, you will love the books.

Thinking of book-movie adaptations, I'm not feeling the love for HBO's A Game of Thrones. The TV series seems so dry and flavourless. It may be because I'm so fresh off reading the book, but I don't think so. A lot of the costumes and settings are cool, but I'm not getting even close to the same feel for the characters. I don't think I'm asking too much, it is so far a MASSIVE let down after reading the book that I feel like shutting it off completely. Does anyone else feel the same or am I alone in this?

I actually thought the first couple of eps of the Walking Dead were great. It sort of fell away towards the end, but the first two in particular, I really loved.

Haven't read the comic though, to be fair.

Jintor

I admitedly haven't read more Walking Dead so much as just browsed it in shops, but the style is really cramped and dense for my liking.

Danoss said:

The Scott Pilgrim books are much better than the movie, which I think is saying something. The movie does miss a lot of the charm that the characters have. If you like the movie even a little bit, you will love the books.?
Haunt is fantastic too, takes the best of all the creators and makes an awesome superhero.

The SP movie was great but should be seen as a separate thing, to do the books justice you need to make 5 separate 3 hour long movies because there is SO MUCH content there.

Loved the first 2 eps of Walking Dead before I lost time to watch anything over 22 minutes.

jambo

I love The Walking Dead comic series, so when I watched the TV series I was disappointed that they'd changed so much of the story. I think a direct transfer would've worked fine, but then I'm not a TV writer so who knows...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I read up to Issue 80 of The Walking Dead. I thought it was unfocused rubbish. Like a TV series if, instead of a writer's room where they intricately plan out a season, it's just one guy who sits and a room and says "AND THEN THIS HAPPENED!" with little care for any broader themes of general series wide arcs. Stuff happens because "wouldn't it be cool if this happened" or "oh shit, I'm out of ideas, RE-ROLL!"

It is the only comic book series I have actually sat down and read, and man, I can't say I'm too keen to try another soon if this is what a lot of comic book fans consider decent.

I worry that this is the problem games have to outsiders. It's interesting to think about, if nothing else. I'd like the think they're a little more sophisticated.

Anyone want Dead Rising 2 Zombrex edition on PS3 for $28? Regular editions for PS3/360/PC for $30.

Awesome, awesome new trailers today for Arkham City and Saint's Row 3. SPOILERS. These and the Deus Ex trailer remind me how far away the games are and I get sad. Also noticed that you can save youtube videos for later which would be handy while at work or just to save for future reference instead of using bookmarks.

Thinking of trying Pride of Nations since I've never really given Paradox a shot. I love Caesar 3 and Rise of Nations so maybe it will grow on me.

Rez said:
I read up to Issue 80 of The Walking Dead. I thought it was unfocused rubbish. Like a TV series if, instead of a writer's room where they intricately plan out a season, it's just one guy who sits and a room and says "AND THEN THIS HAPPENED!" with little care for any broader themes of general series wide arcs. Stuff happens because "wouldn't it be cool if this happened" or "oh shit, I'm out of ideas, RE-ROLL!"
I would regard this (as well as the episodic nature) as the main problem facing comics. Even Watchmen wasn't planned out in advance, Moore made it up as he went along with several delays caused by the hold up with the writing. Since most comics have several writers over their run it is hard to keep the whole thing consistent, not to mention the huge time span it runs.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
So I wrote up my first blog post. I think it's a little bit long and I plan to have links to wikipedia articles through it and the like, but here it is:

http://untidyramblings.wordpress.com/
tl:dr pleaze

I like your writing style, reads like one of my reports. Which usually gets marked down for being so informal but thankfully lecturers are starting to come around to the idea.

Also you should ALWAYS include a bar graph of some sort in every post. It can be your calling card.

reptilescorpio said:
tl:dr pleaze

I like your writing style, reads like one of my reports. Which usually gets marked down for being so informal but thankfully lecturers are starting to come around to the idea.

Also you should ALWAYS include a bar graph of some sort in every post. It can be your calling card.

Pie graph >>> other graphs.

fappenmeister said:
Just in time for those anti bullying laws too. What the hell are they (he) thinking?
papa-luigi-talks-about-the-waffle-kingdom-what-were-they-thinking%21%21%21%21.jpg

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Went Day One with the 360 and DS, never again. The launch drought gave me strong buyer remorse in retrospect. First year of 360 was what, Amped and Oblivion? Even Gears seemed like a fantastic game at the time. DS was just as bad, thankfully it turned into one of the best platforms ever. Similar tailend to the PS2 with just solid gold games coming out that were better than what was hitting the HD consoles. I will remember Persona 4 and Ghost Trick for a very long time.
Eh, I really enjoyed PGR3 and there wasn't much of a wait until I got into Saints Row and Ridge Racer 6. Later on I got Kameo, Dead Rising and Saints Row. I was pretty happy with the first 6 months of the 360. If you want to count the first year it was out in Australia, you'd also be missing Viva Pinata, Crackdown (oh yes) and Lumines Live (didn't have a PSP).

Obviously diff'rent strokes, but I thought the first year of the 360 was probably the best opening year of any console with the possible exception of the PS1 (imo, and only if you count the Australian release date).
You bastard. I love my dual GPU setup, even if it means I have to tweak every fucking game. It's what I've always loved about PCs... if I didn't have that, then I might as well be playing the same game on a console. It's the modern day equivalent of configuring himem.sys and soundcard IRQs.

r1chard

BanShunsaku said:
Maus is a fantastic read. Very moving.
Yeah, Maus is awesome. My wife also got me In The Shadow Of No Towers a few years back.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna have me some fun. I reckon I might try out a volume of Walking Dead. I think I'll also get the second volume of Air.

Rez said:
It is the only comic book series I have actually sat down and read, and man, I can't say I'm too keen to try another soon if this is what a lot of comic book fans consider decent.
It's not universally loved. Watchmen isn't either. Nor is Sandman. Or The Dark Night Returns (which I actually found quite confusing). Y: The Last Man is heaps good, and could be turned into a TV series that would run for years and years and years. Except that there's no way a show with a cast with that many women in it would ever be OK'ed.

Hellboy. Now everyone loves Hellboy :)

And Warren Ellis can get a bit preachy sometimes, but boy he can still tell a good story.

Every comic isn't for every reader. Don't let one experience color the lot.

But then there's I Kill Giants. Haven't heard anyone speak against it. It's got quite a kick.

r1chard

Jintor said:
Sandman isn't universally loved? Sacrilege.
I know. It's not right, but really there's not much we can do about it. The Absolute Sandman is so pretty, and makes such a lovely thunk sound when I hit non-believers about the head with it.

Also, PSN store just gives an error code now. LOL.

Shaneus

I'd rather we all talked about video games instead rather than stuff I'm not interested in. Comics? Pah. For children.

FOR CHILDREN.

Oh, I've just signed up for a free month of Foxtel on my 360. It asked for my credit card.

I'm scared.

Shaneus said:
Oh, I've just signed up for a free month of Foxtel on my 360. It asked for my credit card.

I'm scared.
Auto renew will never wash off. I've got a cheap 12 month from when Reach came out hitting my 360 in August. Just waiting for the day I have to call up and bend over backwards to get it off.

Kritz

Banned
AUSGAF VIDEO GAME QUESTION:

With the new Serious Sam 3 trailer out, I kinda wanna go back and play some Serious Sam HD coop. Was wondering who in AusGAF would wanna join in?

I'm specifically hoping to play Second Encounter, as I've never played that one before. But First Encounter is pretty short so we could blaze through that first I guess. I should also mention this is for the Steam version of Serious Sam: First / Second Encounter: HD, not the console versions.

Talk to me in Steam about it to see if we can rally some enthusiasm. The game supports up to 16 players coop. Or post here. I don't check the thread as often, though.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Auto renew will never wash off. I've got a cheap 12 month from when Reach came out hitting my 360 in August. Just waiting for the day I have to call up and bend over backwards to get it off.
I'm quietly confident that this won't be too bad. With any luck, I can cancel the subscription and leave my details on there for the Movies on Demand thingy. The idea of having that on tap on my 360 is actually kinda nice.

Clipper

Now that the PSN Store is up, I can give out the spare Jade PS3 MK code that I've had lying around for ages now... Who wants it? Shaneus had previously claimed it, but we realised it's useless for him as it will only work with the US game.

So does anybody else have MK on PS3 from the US and want the MK3 Jade costume?

I also have a code for the Broderick Detective Suit for US PS3 L.A. Noire up for grabs if someone wants that.

Pikelet

Rez said:

I worry that this is the problem games have to outsiders. It's interesting to think about, if nothing else. I'd like the think they're a little more sophisticated.

I found the Walking Dead to be merely OK. Vastly preferred Preacher and Y: The Last Man though. Preacher in particular is just fantastic, unlike any other story i have read or seen in fiction. It is really funny and really over the top, but also quite poignant at times. Definitely recommend checking that out if you are so inclined. Its does take a volume or two to really get going though.

Shaneus

I'm now watching an episode of Sliders on Foxtel. Sure, it's season 5 *but* it's inspired me to track down the original first few seasons. Yay \o/

Pikelet

Jintor said:
I liked Y because it was the perfect mix of social gender politics, action, snarky humour, and lesbians.
Yeah, i thought it had a fantastic ending too:
so bleak, but with a dash of hope

Top Bottom