• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

I know I am going to get destroyed for saying this but....

Is anyone else like me, and really not give two shits about DRM? I honestly don't ever look at what DRM a game has, and I have never had any problems playing or installing a game due to DRM.

I can understand why it is controversial (especially Securom), and why people have an issue with it, but I really couldn't care less.

*runs*

Fredescu

I don't like when DRM breaks DVD drives, I don't like a set number of activations over a lifetime that never self resets, and I don't like DRM that requires me to be always online. Otherwise I don't care. I have to admit to sometimes being mildly suspicious of people that complain about DRM that gives you 10+ activations a month.

commissar

BanShunsaku said:

Is anyone else like me, and really not give two shits about DRM? I honestly don't ever look at what DRM a game has, and I have never had any problems playing or installing a game due to DRM.

I can understand why it is controversial (especially Securom), and why people have an issue with it, but I really couldn't care less.

*runs*
The Ubisoft always on stuff does, as I like to play my old games again, and I doubt those servers will be around forever.
Everything else is crackable if it all goes bottom up so I'm happy

Aon

commissar said:
The Ubisoft always on stuff does, as I like to play my old games again, and I doubt those servers will be around forever.
Everything else is crackable if it all goes bottom up so I'm happy

Ubisoft is mad crackable these days :p

jambo

Steam is the only DRM I like, most of the others have crappy looking UIs, often break, don't work when servers are down and leave a sour taste in my mouth.

And poor Fred, not liking such a fantastic game.

I never thought I'd see the day where I'd be downloading the demo to Duke Nukem Forever. It will probably be arse, but hell the PC needs to be used for a reason.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's s easy for anyone with even a tin bit of PC knowhow to crack a legally purchased game. DRM becomes a bit of a nonissue, in that sense.

Rez said:
It's s easy for anyone with even a tin bit of PC knowhow to crack a legally purchased game. DRM becomes a bit of a nonissue, in that sense.
Which means publishers will be forced to become tighter in regards to what they do with DRM. Sure, some people might crack it, but the general population will have ever more restrictive DRM meaning they can't play the games they've paid for.

What happens with DRM screws your hardware or OS install? What about when authentication servers are offline or worse, shut off permanently? What if your disc gets scratched? Not to mention multiplayer servers going offline after only a year (why not release an update for peer-to-peer, if you don't want to run servers any more?) It's unfair to people who do the right thing and pay their hard-earned money and who don't know how to crack DRM, or don't want to break the law by doing so (though if the DRM servers go offline, I think our laws are lenient enough for cracking in this instance, I suppose it depends on where the law sits on whether DRM servers being taken offline mean you simply can't use the product any more or whether they 'break' it and thus cracking is just fixing the 'broken' software).

tl;dr It might be easy for your to circumvent DRM, but that's just going to make things worse.

Fredescu

codswallop said:
Which means publishers will be forced to become tighter in regards to what they do with DRM.

[...]

tl;dr It might be easy for your to circumvent DRM, but that's just going to make things worse.
Given the Ubisoft situation, that's demonstrably false. They had bad DRM, it got cracked anyway, so they loosened it.

Fredescu said:
Given the Ubisoft situation, that's demonstrably false. They had bad DRM, it got cracked anyway, so they loosened it.
True, but in the long run, I still think it'll get worse overall before it gets better.

I'd like to think publishers will learn their lesson, but with shareholders crying out that piracy is hurting their sales, what else could they do?

Fredescu

codswallop said:
True, but in the long run, I still think it'll get worse overall before it gets better.
I don't think so. I think it's been a lot worse than it is today. Online activation makes things nice and easy, and some DRM comes with community features and auto patching and such.

Fredescu said:
Online activation makes things nice and easy
Only when the servers are up, which is where the big problem lies. And they seem to frequently crash shortly after release (whether from load or other external forces). Steam is probably the differentiator right now, but other DRM schemes are pretty rubbish.

We've already seen issues with the MLB taking away servers for which people paid a subscription fee. It's happened with EA multiplayer games, too. What happens when Ubisoft decides they can't be bothered authenticating older games, or worse, go bust? That's the big deal. I like what was done with The Witcher 2, and hope that is the way forward.

Fredescu

codswallop said:
Only when the servers are up, which is where the big problem lies. And they seem to frequently crash shortly after release
This isn't as frequent as you're making out. It's rarely a problem.

codswallop said:
We've already seen issues with the MLB taking away servers for which people paid a subscription fee. It's happened with EA multiplayer games, too.
That's not DRM related, that's being cheap.

codswallop said:
What happens when Ubisoft decides they can't be bothered authenticating older games, or worse, go bust?
I don't know how you can be worried about this on the one hand, but then decry the best solution to this, cracks.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The witcher 2 drm method wasn't all too bad, the fact that it slowed people's game down is proof that drm is a pain in the ass for legit customers.

At the end of the day, regardless if it's day 1 or day 45, your game is going to get cracked.

Look at the ssf4 situation, they have turned around and said, ok we get it, the drm was a shitty idea so either on day 1 or within a week it will be removed. I expect to see ssf4 on the sales charts for a bunch of d2d sites now.

If you don't fuck over the pc user there is a very high chance they will pay you back by being a paying customer for that release and future releases.

Fredescu said:
I don't know how you can be worried about this on the one hand, but then decry the best solution to this, cracks.
I'm not disagreeing it's the best solution (I've been using CD cracks, etc for years) for a lot of people, but it's illegal, and takes (minimal) technical skill, which a lot of gamers don't have.

Fredescu said:
You we're also saying they're bad because they lead to more DRM, which is kinda backwards.
And they are. It's a vicious cycle.

Publishers implement DRM, the honest customer gets shafted and the game is still cracked on day one. Some honest gamers crack their game because the DRM is too restrictive, publisher sees the DRM is cracked so strives to implement stronger DRM. And we're back at the beginning.

The Sony rootkit scandal a few years back, and the Ubisoft authentication servers going down more recently have, I hope, been turning points but honestly I don't see the big guys changing their minds on DRM yet.

Fredescu

codswallop said:
I don't see the big guys changing their minds on DRM yet.
While multi billion dollar publicly owned publishers exist, so will DRM. Cracks are our protection against them pulling bullshit, at least when it comes to single player games. EA forcing everything through their infastructure and then turning it off at will is pretty bad, but also not relevant to the discussion.

Fredescu said:
I don't like when DRM breaks DVD drives, I don't like a set number of activations over a lifetime that never self resets, and I don't like DRM that requires me to be always online. Otherwise I don't care. I have to admit to sometimes being mildly suspicious of people that complain about DRM that gives you 10+ activations a month.
Most DRM I don't care about. Always online DRM I am against for obvious reasons, same with MP crap like gamespy or whatever other crap got installed when I played Crysis.

Duke was disapoiting. Massive download for 2 very short levels. First level tasted about... 2007 vintage? Second was certainly 1999. 2 weapon system sucked a lot of fun out of the demo. Will pickup cheap for the lulz.

Fredescu

I think Apple Crumble is much, much worse than Apple Pie as a desert and as a food product. If I had to (bleargh) quantify it, Apple Pie would be a stretched 5, Apple Crumble would be a 3. Apple Crumble is, in my opinion, one of the worst deserts ever made. In part because the actual desert is an unimaginative, conservative and unbalanced boring piece of food. In part because the entire meal is basically the most cynical operation I've seen in the genre. As a pie fan, as an apple aficionado, as an desert eater, apple crumble felt like Sara Lee turning to people like me and thinking "boy, let's put together some demented clichès and a few tits and this total loser of a nerd who couldn't tell poetry from toilet paper will be rolling at our feet". Apple Crumble pissed me off because it treated me like an idiot. It's a desert that despises its audience.

Shaneus

Jintor said:
I'm really hungry. How about instead of DRM, we talk about food?

Apple crumble is so tasty.
I'm low carbing it, so fuck YOU.

Though I just bought a shitload of bacon and I have eggs in the fridge... mmm, breakfast for dinner.

Dead Man

BanShunsaku said:

*runs*
Most DRM doesn't bother me, but always on and securerom are deal breakers for me.
Fredescu said:
Hopefully you'll get a more faithful sequel than Doom 2 did!
:lol I doubt it. I am fully prepared for a mediocre game. I cannot not buy it though, after anticipating it for a decade.

Jintor

Fredescu said:
I think Apple Crumble is much, much worse than Apple Pie as a desert and as a food product. If I had to (bleargh) quantify it, Apple Pie would be a stretched 5, Apple Crumble would be a 3. Apple Crumble is, in my opinion, one of the worst deserts ever made. In part because the actual desert is an unimaginative, conservative and unbalanced boring piece of food. In part because the entire meal is basically the most cynical operation I've seen in the genre. As a pie fan, as an apple aficionado, as an desert eater, apple crumble felt like Sara Lee turning to people like me and thinking "boy, let's put together some demented clichès and a few tits and this total loser of a nerd who couldn't tell poetry from toilet paper will be rolling at our feet". Apple Crumble pissed me off because it treated me like an idiot. It's a desert that despises its audience.

...I made this apple crumble :<

markot

Banned
Jintor said:
I liked it, although now that I've started reading Game of Thrones, I think I'll never touch it again.
Bioware is crap at writing. And its funny cause they wank themselves over their own writing so often >.<

Kritz

Banned
markot said:
I didnt even finish DA:O once and I thought it was ok >.>

Dragon Age: Origins is a fine piece of unoriginal fantasy fiction.

Dragon Age 2 is a game that rightly shouldn't exist, or at the least is a game I shouldn't have played 40 hours of.

markot

Banned
DA2 looks like everything wrong with the original.... times 2. I even tried the demo... I loved the 'dont know that this option is an evil thing to say? HERE IS AN ICON FOR THE AUTISTIC OUT THERE'

Fredescu said:
Vis is the best troll Gaf has. Such a joy to watch shit up every thread. Mainly other people fighting with him shit it up, but still. I also threepeated DA:O. Probably spent 5 hours on DA2?

Kritz said:
Duke Nukem Forever is not a quality product.
Dragon Age: Origins is a fine piece of unoriginal fantasy fiction.
Dragon Age 2 is a game that rightly shouldn't exist, or at the least is a game I shouldn't have played 40 hours of.
This guy, this guy gets it. 1.7Gb for Duke demo? For about 20 minutes of gameplay? Which shows the game to be at the same standard as a fan mod project? At least Duke 3D is still fun.

Shaneus said:
Mmm. Dat bacon.
The Best Flavour.

Top Bottom