• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

jambo

reptilescorpio said:
Ha, nice. Never spent much time in MP. Always nice when everyone gets interested at the same time, especially when it is spur of the moment.

I've actually been running a GTA IV MP night at another forum I frequent. We normally play Tuesdays and Thursdays but everyone seemed to be free last night so we had a spur of the moment session. The game is probably the most pure fun I've had in a MP game, I've lost count of the number of times my chest hurts from laughing so much. You should check it out some time.

Origin store looks rubbish for me in Chrome 11.0.696.71 on XP. EA obviously thinking the purpose of a digital store is so they never have to change the price.

jambo said:
The game is probably the most pure fun I've had in a MP game, I've lost count of the number of times my chest hurts from laughing so much. You should check it out some time.
Red Dead Redemption can have similar lulz if you get the right group together.

jambo

Hmm, just realised my Chrome was way out of date, latest version is 13.0.782.1

For some reason I've got an error in Chrome and my updater exe doesn't exist =\ Had to manually do it.

hamchan

A Today Tonight ad I just saw mentioned something about reverse racism in Australia. Now I ask you, what is the difference between racism and reverse racism?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
hamchan said:
A Today Tonight ad I just saw mentioned something about reverse racism in Australia. Now I ask you, what is the difference between racism and reverse racism?

Koreans > Sleep.

Salazar

hamchan said:

I'm betting shop signs in Chinese. That's a classic.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
So I watched Priscilla Queen of the Desert for the first time ever last night. I had no idea Terence Stamp was in it.

Now listen here, you mullet. Why don't you just light your tampon, and blow your box apart. Because it's the only bang you're ever gonna get sweetheart.

Jintor

The unlikely possibility remains that it's actual racism against white people. But I wonder which group is the perps this time around?

Clipper

evlcookie said:
I don't believe you need to be invited to join steam chat either.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a few people in both areas, Steam chat proved a win last year though. See how she goes in under 24 hours time.
Somebody locked it down a few weeks ago due to spam or something. It's invite-only now, or that's what it seems to be. Also, can you seriously say you prefer the Steam Chat interface for the amount of stuff we might be posting during E3, especially if Community gets locked?

For those that missed the other post or its edit, IRC links are here:
http://mibbit.com/#AusGAF@irc.gamesurge.net
http://webchat.gamesurge.net/?channels=AusGAF

codswallop said:
Chrome, Chromium, or Dev/Beta channel? Mine's saying it's up-to-date with 11.0.696.77.
Same here, just updated from .71 to .77.

hamchan said:
Wouldn't reverse racism just be being over the top political correctness gone mad? Like a sign at a white party saying, "Whites Only! Clothes we mean, black people are allowed! Same with other people of colour!"
Watched The League recently.

Shaneus said:
I'm still disappointed that they didn't try to milk the Origin name for all it's worth.
They tried their best with this Origin name
Dragon_Age.jpg

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Clipper said:
Somebody locked it down a few weeks ago due to spam or something. It's invite-only now, or that's what it seems to be. Also, can you seriously say you prefer the Steam Chat interface for the amount of stuff we might be posting during E3, especially if Community gets locked?

There's no major difference between the two with the exception of room headings / topics, whatever they are called since i've forgotten. You can also do a group wide send out on steam or modify the steam community if required.

I wouldn't think too much info would be thrown out anyway. There's bound to only be a handful at most, so text won't be flying by. There will be a few of us who will throw out the links to streams and that's about as hardcore as it would be.

I have no issues with IRC, I'm on it 24/7 so i will probably jump in as well. Steam chat worked without any issues last year, which is why i don't see the need to jump ship for E3. Each to their own though.

hamchan said:

Today Tonight and ACA really do target the lowest common denominators in society. I bet the story will be about when you go into a store and haggle, some people get cheaper prices initially than others (TT are saying this is based on race). It's a load of shite basically.

In other news anyone seen the Star Wars Kinect game, it's possible the worst thing I have ever seen. Anyone from AusGAF buy Kinect, I'm just not seeing the appeal?

Fredescu

Clipper said:
Somebody locked it down a few weeks ago due to spam or something. It's invite-only now, or that's what it seems to be.
It's only group membership that's invite only. Anyone can join the chat room.

Jintor

Sutton Dagger said:
Today Tonight and ACA really do target the lowest common denominators in society. I bet the story will be about when you go into a store and haggle, some people get cheaper prices initially than others (TT are saying this is based on race). It's a load of shite basically.

In other news anyone seen the Star Wars Kinect game, it's possible the worst thing I have ever seen. Anyone from AusGAF buy Kinect, I'm just not seeing the appeal?

Child of Eden.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuchHcnzHq4 So entertaining. The Disneyland one looks great too. Shaneus has a Kinect (well, maybe the replacement one has arrived) so maybe he can update us on the current state of affairs.
Yeah, was a two-week turnaround (roughly) from when I sent it. The games are fun but it's definitely better value in a group/multiplayer setting. Living by myself doesn't really offer a lot opportunities for group fun :/

But in terms of justifying the purchase, I've had shitloads of fun with Sports and Dance Central and moderate amounts of fun with Michael Jackson: The Experience and Kinect Adventures. Didn't really dig the demo of Kinectimals, but I'm pretty hyped for the support it's getting at E3.

Long story short: If there's nothing that really grabs you now, there's no harm in waiting to see if it gets some kind of price drop in the near future. E3 seems like it's gonna assplode with Kinect only and Kinect enhanced games. Child of Eden, Project Draco, that baseball one, Once Upon a Monster, the fighting game by Yu Suzuki... all pretty much guaranteed to get my money.

Hope that answers your question, Sutton :)

Sutton Dagger said:
Maybe the story will be about how the distributors of MX overwhelmingly hire extremely hot female Brazilian students with a penchant for cutoffs and tight jeans at the expense of hardworking Aussie battlers who might have a little bit of a muffin top. Now there's a story in the public interest.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Maybe the story will be about how the distributors of MX overwhelmingly hire extremely hot female Brazilian students with a penchant for cutoffs and tight jeans at the expense of hardworking Aussie battlers who might have a little bit of a muffin top. Now there's a story in the public interest.
I volunteer for the undercover reporting. I will need a swanky apartment and at least 6 weeks to get the job done.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
That you can wave your arms around when you need help!

I do look forward to seeing how some developers are going to incorporate kinect with "hardcore" games. If it's going to be intrusive or just sit there staring at you hal style waiting for you to do some sort of movement that helps navigate or use something.

Jintor

I would use it so much more if I could

a) Wave at the Kinect in a certain pattern to turn it on. Mine would be the Rimmer salute. (I don't know how this would work without it being on all the time, but smeg that)

b) VOICE COMMANDS FOR FUCK'S SAKE

c) Kinect Functionality over the whole menuspace. I mean the Dashboard is already simply up down left right, why not just let me wave at the damn thing? And they really should have let me push in/punch forward to select things. COME ON

Shaneus

Jintor said:
b) VOICE COMMANDS FOR FUCK'S SAKE

c) Kinect Functionality over the whole menuspace. I mean the Dashboard is already simply up down left right, why not just let me wave at the damn thing? And they really should have let me push in/punch forward to select things. COME ON
Ugh, these two... particularly the last one. That there is a separate dash for Kinect is shitful.

Axiom

I won a Kinect and still never used it. That it is until I finally got convinced to get YourShape after putting it off and now it gets nightly use.

I've not lost a belly but I feel fitter I guess, the ladies of the house are a lot more enthusiastic about it.

Without a game like Dance Central (still don't have) or a fitness game it is less useful and more gimmicky than an unused Wii. Appreciate the magic tech when it works though.

Clipper

bigjimmystyle said:
When does the 3DS eShop go live?
About the same time as Sony's conference:
e3times24.png

That's not definite, but it's as far as we can track it down to as we know it's the evening of the 6th in the US and the 7th in Japan.

Perhaps I missed a time being announced, though.

Nemesis_

I have Kinect. I do not claim it's amazing, but if you're in situations where it's useful, then it really is.

Dance Central has been a great party game or just something to play when friends are over. Your Shape has been a decent way to get in shape whenever I can't be bothered going out for a run.

Child Of Eden will probably be the first "hardcore" experience I have with it, though I am gonna be honest and say I am dying for some new games. I am hoping Rise of Nightmares and the SUDA project will be pretty good too.

But yeah. =P

I do like some of the functionality in normal games that isn't essential but is also there. Harry Potter was okay for about thirty minutes and I've got a review copy of Virtua Tennis 4 coming that I am eager to try out but I'm really not expecting anything. =/

Shaneus

Nemesis556 said:
I do like some of the functionality in normal games that isn't essential but is also there. Harry Potter was okay for about thirty minutes and I've got a review copy of Virtua Tennis 4 coming that I am eager to try out but I'm really not expecting anything. =/
I believe that both Kinect and Move versions of VT4 are gesture-based, not 1-1 :(

How long is AP, Fred? I wouldn't mind giving it a crack if I could knock it over in a week or so. 10 hours should allow for it. Otherwise I'll keep plowing through Sam & Max episodes.

Fredescu

Shaneus said:
How long is AP, Fred? I wouldn't mind giving it a crack if I could knock it over in a week or so. 10 hours should allow for it.
Each go took me 25 hours, but I'm really slow. I think 15 is a good average. 10 might be a tiny bit short.

Shaneus said:
Otherwise I'll keep plowing through Sam & Max episodes.
This sentence has a completely different meaning after The Witcher 2.

I'm still debating if I should wake up for the MS conference. Is AusGAF getting together in Steamchat or something? If so, anyone going to be watching the conferences live?

Clipper

Sutton Dagger said:
I'm still debating if I should wake up for the MS conference. Is AusGAF getting together in Steamchat or something? If so, anyone going to be watching the conferences live?
I'll be watching Nintendo one live, for sure. Maybe Sony as well, if I'm not busy at work. I'll probably be in both Steam and IRC, but probably only paying attention to the IRC as it's just so much easier to use in my opinion.

Shaneus

Fredescu said:
This sentence has a completely different meaning after The Witcher 2.
I have no idea what that means :(

Two part question, y'all:
1) How long do the conferences usually go for... hour, hour and a half?
2) Where would be the best place to watch the MS one? IIRC they had it on their own website for 2010, but I'm assuming there'll be decent free streams elsewhere, too.

Clipper

Shaneus said:
I have no idea what that means :(

Two part question, y'all:
1) How long do the conferences usually go for... hour, hour and a half?
2) Where would be the best place to watch the MS one? IIRC they had it on their own website for 2010, but I'm assuming there'll be decent free streams elsewhere, too.
1) Microsoft and Sony are scheduled for 1.5 hours each, I think, although reports for Microsoft one vary. We don't know how long Nintendo's will be, but it will likely be somewhere between 1 and 1.5 hours, given past experience.
2)Just before the conferences start, hit up the official GAF thread for it. All the good streams will be listed in the OP. I think all three major players are hosting their own streams this year, so I'd go with those.

jambo

So sore from the gym, just want to go home and sleep.

codswallop said:
Chrome, Chromium, or Dev/Beta channel? Mine's saying it's up-to-date with 11.0.696.77.

Beta.

That's just how I roll.

Fredescu

Mr Glover is the man: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/socie...ers-of-boneheaded-beliefs-20110602-1fijg.html

Richard said:
Is it possible to get the politics out of the climate-change debate? The first step might be to acknowledge the way ideology informs attitudes to climate change on both sides.

People on the left instinctively believe in communal action, the role of government and the efficacy of international agencies such as the UN. They were always going to believe in climate change; it's the sort of problem that can best be solved using the tools they most enjoy using.

The right tended to be sceptical about climate change from the start and for exactly the same reasons. It's the sort of problem that requires global, communal action, with governments setting rules. It is a problem that requires tools they instinctively dislike using.

These initial responses to global warming, on both sides, were understandable. But there's a point in any debate where what you want to believe comes up against what you know to be true; where ideology yields to reality.

The one thing I miss about long commutes to work is listening to Richard Glover's Drive in the afternoon (and of course Adam Spencer's Breakfast).

Top Bottom