• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Controller needs to be in the same room so no playing around the house.

Well that defeats the purpose of the entire system. I guess Ken Levine won't be playing it in bed now unless he has the system in his bedroom, I'm sure he has the money to do that!

Bahahaha! Wii U! What a crappy name! Thankfully it won't be a 3ds situation since the console itself looks so radically different. Aside from the shitty name it looks awesome, LOVE LOVE LOVE the controller. Need show floor demo impression stat.

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:
Bahahaha! Wii U! What a crappy name! Thankfully it won't be a 3ds situation since the console itself looks so radically different. Aside from the shitty name it looks awesome, LOVE LOVE LOVE the controller. Need show floor demo impression stat.

The bullshit in the announcement thread is lol-worthy.

Really interested to see what can be pulled off with that controller. Also looks like the Wii-U will be

a) backwards compatible
b) backwards compatible with Wii-motes

Am I assuming correctly?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think the name is great. They'd be crazy to drop the Wii name.

Gazunta

Yeah it's backwards compatible.

Looking forward to finding out when it's also backwards compatible with Homebrew Channel!

Gazunta

Yeah WTF what a total fail having to be in the same room ti play Wii U, I don't have to be in the same room as my 360 when I'm playing that OH WAIT

Omikron

Gazunta said:
Yeah WTF what a total fail having to be in the same room ti play Wii U, I don't have to be in the same room as my 360 when I'm playing that OH WAIT

Haha.

My guess is there must be a limitation to the streaming tech.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Omi said:
The bullshit in the announcement thread is lol-worthy.

Really interested to see what can be pulled off with that controller. Also looks like the Wii-U will be

a) backwards compatible

Am I assuming correctly?

They showed off images of 5 people playing, 4 were using wiimotes and 1 was using the controller, So i assume it's backwards compatible.

One issue that i have with it, It seems like in most situations they were only showing it as 1 single wii u controller, as if having more would cause issues? Everything else was pretty much a wiimote on it's own or in some wacky plastic packaging.

I also have to wonder how much a second one is, it's bound to be expensive as all hell. Although they are going for a 2012 launch, Which should bring prices down by then, It still feels like it could be damn pricey to replace.

It's interesting but i don't think the system is for me, Unless i magically get a partner who hates videogames. Then, When she feels the need to steal my tv and wants to watch god knows what on tv, i can continue to game.

I'm glad there's some real 3rd party support for it in terms of "hardcore" games, Although they will be released a long ass time after ps3, 360 and even PC versions. Nintendo games don't interest me all that much anymore so it's certainly not a day 1 purchase.

Nothing this week has really blown me away. The Apple iOS stuff was lame, MS was awful, Sony was typical and while nintendo dropped some new hardware there wasn't enough information to really gather an opinion. I think it's safe to say even the most casual fans are probably thinking it's just a new controller and not a system, They didn't do well at all to clarify what it is for non gamers.

The news that disappointed me was that it's backward compatible but it seems like it won't upscale Wii and Gamecube games, so they'll look exactly the same as they do now. After seeing Dolphin pics that's really disappointing if true.

The Wii U intro video shows some really unique experiences and ideas. But then, so did the Revolution/Wii videos.

I got burned with the Wii, bought it at launch day, expecting 1:1 and/or accurate control and instead got waggle galore. This time around, I'm going to wait.

Gazunta

I just pity the poor developers who will now be told by the Brendan Brewers of the world what the system can do
in Brendan's magical fantasy world where development realities don't exist
and then have their games savaged in the reviews when the final games don't match that utopian ideal.

Omi said:
a) backwards compatible

Am I assuming correctly?
Yep both, people have the impression you can only use one Wii U controller but tons of Wii ones.

Planet_JASE said:
The news that disappointed me was that it's backward compatible but it seems like it won't upscale Wii and Gamecube games, so they'll look exactly the same as they do now. After seeing Dolphin pics that's really disappointing if true.
The best way to play Wii games will continue to be on PC, which is fine by me. PC's will improve and in 5 or so years time everyone will be able to run Dolphin perfect and the community will grow large enough to have every game running 100%.

NoA's Wii release list: no sign of Xenoblade or The Last Story
This thread title disappoints me. :(

Not too concerned about the controller not being able to leave the room. More worried about the 3rd party support. Hopefully they can be convinced to stick around this time. I've got no interest in playing Mario again so hopefully Nintendo can bring back Pikmin and some of the franchises they haven't used for a while.

So I read through the Nintendo conference thread this morning. The back and forth between fanboy hype and naked trolling made my head hurt. Still haven't seen any of the videos etc. and probably won't until tomorrow morning (when my Internet goes uncapped again).

Disappointed that they didn't announce more 3DS games. I don't care about Smash Bros and Luigi's Mansion never appealed to me at all.

Omikron

viciouskillersquirrel said:
So I read through the Nintendo conference thread this morning. The back and forth between fanboy hype and naked trolling made my head hurt. Still haven't seen any of the videos etc. and probably won't until tomorrow morning (when my Internet goes uncapped again).

Disappointed that they didn't announce more 3DS games. I don't care about Smash Bros and Luigi's Mansion never appealed to me at all.

The amusing posts are the ones that say the trailer with the example WiiU games look worse than PS3/360.... when the content in the video is exactly from those consoles.

Omi said:
The amusing posts are the ones that say the trailer with the example WiiU games look worse than PS3/360.... when the content in the video is exactly from those consoles.
Yeah, there are people who just wait for events like this and look for an excuse to troll. I also thought it was funny when people were claiming that Nintendo had won E3 because they introduced their conference with an orchestra.

I wasn't watching it - the music could've been that amazing, but the fact of the matter is I can't play an orchestra.

Clipper

Anybody want to make any guesses as to what Nintendo will reveal at the round table? They always have it every year, and it's where we first learnt about Snake in Brawl and so on. What do we think? Pikmin maybe?

Clipper said:
Anybody want to make any guesses as to what Nintendo will reveal at the round table? They always have it every year, and it's where we first learnt about Snake in Brawl and so on. What do we think? Pikmin maybe?
That would be nice. Also The Last Story. Prepared for disappointment. They might discuss what direction they are taking the U in, whether or not they want developers to still make use of the Wii Remote or just focus on the twin stick controller of the U. Some kind of gameplan would be great.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I can see Pikmin being cancelled for the wii and moved to the wii u. The handheld controls would make more sense for it.

The graphics are bound to be better than current 360 / PS3 titles. I see no reason to think otherwise.

The name is so so. While keeping the wii brand alive is a good idea, It somewhat feels like they just announced an expansion to the wii and not a brand new console. I can see some people getting confused until it's properly explained.

markot

Banned
The thing is. None of the consoles or gaming thingys have good names >.<

Xbox 360?
PS3?
PSVITA?
DS?

None of them classify as 'good' in my books. And my books are smart!

hamchan

ClivePwned said:
I dislike the name.

But the system has potential. I look forward to playing one game a year on it made by nintendo.
Day 1
Pretty much, except for the day 1 bit. Other than Nintendo games all the system has so far are PS3/360 ports I can already play on my PS3/360. So I'll probably pick the WiiU near the end of its life to play the few Nintendo games I missed.

Also the whole playing games in my hand while someone else uses the TV... I already do that with my current handhelds. If it's a console game in the palm of my hand I'd rather be playing on a Vita for that since you can take it out of the room. The WiiU just has no appeal to me. If they were trying to appeal to hardcore gamers they failed, since there's no reason for hardcore gamers to move to the WiiU from the 360/PS3/PC.

Shaneus

Scorpio: Looks like a bunch of the Telltale orders have been cancelled, including my S&M Blowout Pack. Might pay to check your order, too.

Kritz

Banned
markot said:

Xbox 360?
PS3?
PSVITA?
DS?

Playstation 3 is a pretty alright name.

What we need is for names to stop being so short. Vita, Wii U, Xbox 360. Fuck that shit. Give me names like Commodore, Intellivision, Playstation, Megadrive, Super Nintendo. I'm sick of this streamlining, sterile web 2.0 design bullshit. Bring back futuristic scifi, wood panelling and 1980s business sense.

jambo

hamchan said:
Pretty much, except for the day 1 bit. Other than Nintendo games all the system has so far are PS3/360 ports I can already play on my PS3/360. So I'll probably pick the WiiU near the end of its life to play the few Nintendo games I missed.

Also the whole playing games in my hand while someone else uses the TV... I already do that with my current handhelds. If it's a console game in the palm of my hand I'd rather be playing on a Vita for that since you can take it out of the room. The WiiU just has no appeal to me. If they were trying to appeal to hardcore gamers they failed, since there's no reason for hardcore gamers to move to the WiiU from the 360/PS3/PC.

How about we wait and see what new games are announced? The thing isn't even out until next year and you're saying they've failed.

Kritz said:
What we need is for names to stop being so short. Vita, Wii U, Xbox 360. Fuck that shit. Give me names like Commodore, Intellivision, Playstation, Megadrive, Super Nintendo. I'm sick of this streamlining, sterile web 2.0 design bullshit. Bring back futuristic scifi, wood panelling and 1980s business sense.

I'm picturing you getting nostalgic about old console names whilst sitting in your rocking chair on your porch, stroking your double barrel shotgun.

hamchan

jambo said:
How about we wait and see what new games are announced? The thing isn't even out until next year and you're saying they've failed.

It could still sell a bajillion copies, I don't know. Basically what we've seen from the console is a PS3/360 port machine with Nintendo games and I highly doubt third parties will make an exclusive in this day and age, so logically we can pretty much expect every game from them on the WiiU to also be on the 360/PS3.

So yeah, Nintendo games are once again the main and only reason to buy this console. After the Wii though I'm definitely not buying this console day one.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Now you can't buy a second controller? What if some fuck wit breaks it?

I thought it was a one controller device going by all the footage, Man that sucks if true. Hopefully you can buy a second controller within the first few months of release, otherwise that's just fucking stupid.

Omikron

evlcookie said:
Now you can't buy a second controller? What if some fuck wit breaks it?

I thought it was a one controller device going by all the footage, Man that sucks if true. Hopefully you can buy a second controller within the first few months of release, otherwise that's just fucking stupid.

Call Nintendo Australia and sort out a replacement for a price. Same as if you break anything else on your console.

Dead Man

markot said:

Xbox 360?
PS3?
PSVITA?
DS?

I think PS3 and DS are fine, they are just abbreviations of longer phrases. The 360, U, and Vita type names need to go away though. Anyone think maybe they chose Vita because PSV rhymes with PS3? Nah, me either, but it amuses me anyway.

evlcookie said:
They showed off images of 5 people playing, 4 were using wiimotes and 1 was using the controller, So i assume it's backwards compatible.

One issue that i have with it, It seems like in most situations they were only showing it as 1 single wii u controller, as if having more would cause issues? Everything else was pretty much a wiimote on it's own or in some wacky plastic packaging.

I also have to wonder how much a second one is, it's bound to be expensive as all hell. Although they are going for a 2012 launch, Which should bring prices down by then, It still feels like it could be damn pricey to replace.

It's interesting but i don't think the system is for me, Unless i magically get a partner who hates videogames. Then, When she feels the need to steal my tv and wants to watch god knows what on tv, i can continue to game.

I'm glad there's some real 3rd party support for it in terms of "hardcore" games, Although they will be released a long ass time after ps3, 360 and even PC versions. Nintendo games don't interest me all that much anymore so it's certainly not a day 1 purchase.

Nothing this week has really blown me away. The Apple iOS stuff was lame, MS was awful, Sony was typical and while nintendo dropped some new hardware there wasn't enough information to really gather an opinion. I think it's safe to say even the most casual fans are probably thinking it's just a new controller and not a system, They didn't do well at all to clarify what it is for non gamers.
Yeah, that's pretty much my feeling. I am interested to see what it does, but they really stuffed up that presentation, using mii's and pre rendered footage does not excite anyone. I already have 2 decent tv's in the house, so my partner never kicks me off, they go watch on the non gaming TV :)

Omi said:
Call Nintendo Australia and sort out a replacement for a price. Same as if you break anything else on your console.
But how long will that take? you have to bench your WiiU till the replacement gets sorted out?

Omikron

pieatorium said:
But how long will that take? you have to bench your WiiU till the replacement gets sorted out?

No idea, but I sourced a replacement part for the Wii from them before, had it within a week I think?

*shrug*

Top Bottom