• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

jambo

The new Need For Speed Run is going to use cinematics with QTE for the out of car stuff...

:lol

Also

xFafJ.gif

jambo

DualShadow said:
I don't know who anybody is. I know everyone by their avatars.

Same =S

hamchan said:
It could still sell a bajillion copies, I don't know. Basically what we've seen from the console is a PS3/360 port machine with Nintendo games and I highly doubt third parties will make an exclusive in this day and age, so logically we can pretty much expect every game from them on the WiiU to also be on the 360/PS3.

You did see the awesome new touch screen controller right? It's not going to be a port machine. If anything the WiiU versions of the games could have more features, to take advantage of the new controller, while the PS360 versions could just be stock standard.

Shaneus

jambo said:
You did see the awesome new touch screen controller right? It's not going to be a port machine. If anything the WiiU versions of the games will have more features, to take advantage of the new controller, while the PS360 versions will just be stock standard.
Did you read about the controller with the screen? There's only one, which you can only get with the console. In other words, you can't buy a replacement and you can't use multiples (I guess... you might be able to get another from a different console and use both at the same time). Makes sense seeing as it's fairly revolutionary, tech-wise (not counting the PSP, but that's slightly different) that they couldn't do more than one at a time.

jambo

Shaneus said:
Did you read about the controller with the screen? There's only one, which you can only get with the console. In other words, you can't buy a replacement and you can't use multiples (I guess... you might be able to get another from a different console and use both at the same time). Makes sense seeing as it's fairly revolutionary, tech-wise (not counting the PSP, but that's slightly different) that they couldn't do more than one at a time.

Uhh... I don't see what that has to do with what Ham and I was talking about =\

And the console isn't out till next year so they may well have changed their tune on the whole controller thing.

Shaneus

jambo said:
Uhh... I don't see what that has to do with what Ham and I was talking about =\

And the console isn't out till next year so they may well have changed their tune on the whole controller thing.
Wasn't directly related, I guess. I think the point I was trying to make (but failed miserably at making) was that they can't really make party games or local multi with that screen in mind, unless they're happy with only one person using that screen.

jambo

Shaneus said:
Wasn't directly related, I guess. I think the point I was trying to make (but failed miserably at making) was that they can't really make party games or local multi with that screen in mind, unless they're happy with only one person using that screen.

There are these cool things that have been around for a while, called singleplayer games. Instead of a few people playing the game, just one person plays, and they only use one controller

;)

Also, maybe Nintendo and the 3rd party devs could break the mould of local multiplayer gaming and have one person using a WiiU controller, while one or more persons use Wiimotes.

Like in WiiU BF3 you could have the person using the WiiU controller being the Commander. Gotta think outside the square.

Shaneus

Yeah, for sure. Just remember, the DC had the same idea... yet 90% of games just wound up displaying some crappy game logo on the screen. Games that utilised it properly though were awesome.

I'm definitely curious to see just how many devs outside of Ninty are going to make the most of it, but I'm guessing it will be few and far between.

Also curious about tech specs... obviously they'll be better than PS3 and 360, but by how much? Love to see how the screen works too... whether it does it's own processing or if it's handled by the main console.

Omikron

The usage of Power7 architecture for the CPU is interesting and bodes well for overall power of teh system you would think. Now to see what sort of AMD GPU it is joined up with.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I do thnk it is coming out at a strange time. Devs didn't dev for the wii due to the lack of power in the system, while it's safe to say the wii u won't be lacking power, will it in 2 years time when we get the next gen from Sony and ms?

It's coming out late in the current cycle, even if it's 10% more powerful than the ps3 and 360, I don't know if that's enough.

I fully expect to see Sony and ms announce their consoles at e3 next year with a release in 2013. Wii u will only be 1yr old and already potentially looking old hat.

It's possible ms and sony won't do a major graphics upgrade either, but they both love the idea of moar powah.

It's going to be really interesting over the next 2 years.

evlcookie said:
I can see Pikmin being cancelled for the wii and moved to the wii u. The handheld controls would make more sense for it.
It was and left me conflicted. I want Pikmin and I want it now. Shiggy has been saying for YEARS now that they have been working on it, teasing me as he does. At the same time it will look AMAZING on the U and will hopefully inspire developers to make awesome games for U. And me.

Shaneus said:
Scorpio: Looks like a bunch of the Telltale orders have been cancelled, including my S&M Blowout Pack. Might pay to check your order, too.
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Was planning on ordering the S&M Blowout Pack tonight. Hopefully they update us on what is going on as now I have realised I can afford it I really want it. Along with a Steve Purcell signed Monkey Island print. Both items are now not on the store. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Omi said:
Nope. Then you see the term 'core' which is equally irritating.
I think Core is a good definition for games that cater to the older style, like those which are not motion controlled. Core games are stuff like Halo and Uncharted while Casual games can be peripheral based stuff. Eh, doesn't really matter any way, everyone has their different idea of how to pigeon hole games. Publishers and the media need easy to recognise words to push the games.

AdventureRacing said:
So exciting. After years of being promised pikmin i can now wait even longer on the back of a new promise.
Please be gentle to us Pikmin fans. All we can do is hope. :(

jambo said:
maybe Nintendo and the 3rd party devs could
This right here. This will be Nintendo's focus since everything has been a fucking trainwreck in regards to 3rd parties for them lately. If they can get other publishers pumping out quality titles every other week the U will be even bigger than the Wii and make things very hard for MS and Sony. I would love to see that controller used properly by developers. Whether or not it happens though, is up in the air. Same with the Vita.

evlcookie said:
I fully expect to see Sony and ms announce their consoles at e3 next year with a release in 2013. Wii u will only be 1yr old and already potentially looking old hat.
Dreamcast all over again? Would be creepy considering the controllers. Nintendo proved with the Wii that they can hold up a console all on their own, it would be interesting to see if they could handle it 2 generations in a row.

AnkhWeasel said:
FIVE.
NINE.
EIGHT.
lol no chance they would make RRP that high. Right? $499 max?

jambo

I reckon Ninty might drop the price even lower. A lot of people were unhappy about the 3DS pricing and they can afford to release it at $349 in the US.

I still find it amazing that nintendo didn't release pikmin or luigi's mansion for the wii. The controls would have been perfect.

Not that i will be complaining when i get them mind you.

reptilescorpio said:
It was and left me conflicted. I want Pikmin and I want it now. Shiggy has been saying for YEARS now that they have been working on it, teasing me as he does. At the same time it will look AMAZING on the U and will hopefully inspire developers to make awesome games for U. And me.

Please be gentle to us Pikmin fans. All we can do is hope. :(

I'm in the same boat. On the one hand i find it disappointing that we have had to go through a whole generation with no pikmin. On the flip side i can't fucking wait to see games like pikmin in HD.

No doubt when i get my hands on pikmin all will be forgotten and forgiven.

Salazar

Witcher 2.

I chose
Iorveth
by accident.

I was thinking about it, and the timer ran out while the mouse pointer was on that option.

Great game. Feels so good to cut loose inside the town walls.

Salazar said:
Witcher 2.

I chose
Iorveth
by accident.

I was thinking about it, and the timer ran out while the mouse pointer was on that option.

Great game. Feels so good to cut loose inside the town walls.
Woot! Avatars!

Deeku

Yay avatars!

Played a bit of of Link's Awakening on the 3ds today. Sooo many memories.

Also, I should go dig out my copies of Pikmin and finish them. Loved everything about them when they came out but I really sucked at them so only played a few hours of each.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
my transformation into an Apple(r) is almost complete, I've been invited to a "Career Seminar".

Shaneus said:
I honestly can't believe how hyped I am for Forza 4. That, Trackmania 2 and Wipeout 2048 are about the only games that really grabbed me from E3.

Any car-keen AusGAFfers should head to the E3 recap thread and also the 24 min interview with Turn 10 director Dan Greenawalt.

I think im going to avoid it. Loading times in these games just kill the experience for me. It was the same for both F3 and GT5.

The racing is fun but the load times just makes them painful to play.

Shaneus

AdventureRacing said:
I think im going to avoid it. Loading times in these games just kill the experience for me. It was the same for both F3 and GT5.

The racing is fun but the load times just makes them painful to play.
Apparently they're implementing some form of data streaming so it's supposed to load quicker. How much quicker? No idea. I'll still be installing on the HDD anyway.

Shaneus said:
I honestly can't believe how hyped I am for Forza 4. That, Trackmania 2 and Wipeout 2048 are about the only games that really grabbed me from E3.

Any car-keen AusGAFfers should head to the E3 recap thread and also the 24 min interview with Turn 10 director Dan Greenawalt.
I had a look, and the photomode car models are absolutely breath-taking. The actual racing engine though doesn't speak to me on a visual level. I had a look at this video (not sure if there are better ones available?) and I'm not sure if it's a lighting or texturing problem, but everything looks a little too plastic for my tastes. I would say that GT5 was a disappointment to me (I had massive hype for it) and the visuals were inconsistent, but the aesthetic was much more realistic (to my eyes anyway) and that's one of the most important things in terms of immersion for me. Maybe that Forza 4 video I watched is not representative though.

Gazunta

I think the only game that REALLY grabbed me hard was wip'Eout" 2048. So much so I'm looking at a purchase of a Vita as an inevitability. What the hell? That was unexpected.

Shaneus

Gazunta said:
I think the only game that REALLY grabbed me hard was wip'Eout" 2048. So much so I'm looking at a purchase of a Vita as an inevitability. What the hell? That was unexpected.
If anything has sold me on Vita, it's that. The idea for a prequel kicks so much arse it's ridiculous. If/when they announce Lumines I'll be getting it day one... probably importing though and waiting a week or two for launch issues.

Ydahs

PES Wii U can still carry over elements of the Wii titles with the touch screen. It would be awesome if they integrate the ability to direct your players via the touchscreen in play.

hamchan

Nintendo needs to announce a new F-Zero. I'm pissed at them for not making one for so long after F-Zero GX was so damn good.

So it turns out that you can use an Aussie credit card on the US 3DS eShop. Just say that you're from Delaware (or some other US state that has no sales tax) and you're golden. Got Shantae and Cave Story this morning.

Also, since my open invite got ignored - my buck's party is next Friday at a venue TBD somewhere in Brisbane. BrisGAFers welcome.

I was a big believer of the Revolution/Wii and was totally letdown (though the usual AAA first party games were mostly excellent).

So, I'm taking the cynical naysayer route this time around in regards to Wii U. I don't believe the experiences (for the "big" multiplatform games at least) will be anything more than a massive gimmick. For exclusive games, it might be a fun little diversion, but I think Wii U -- if priced appropriately -- is just going to continue its slide into casual shovelware with the occasional Nintendo gem.

Chalk one up for the hype train, I guess. Not this time, dammit.

Jintor

I can't help but wonder if Nintendo would be better off retreating back to their bastion of first-party titles with the occasional select AAA 3rd-party hit, and trying instead to open up the 'ware services as large as possible on a scale comparative to iPhone development.

Probably not.

Top Bottom