• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Kritz

Banned
Danoss said:
Also, Kritz, I'm sure that monitor will be fine, no matter how ridiculous their marketing shit is on that PCCG page. I love how they can demonstrate with/without 1080p in a thumbnail and that if you don't have 2ms response time, your images will be a blurry, unwatchable mess.
Yeah those kind of marketing bullshit pages are always completely embarrassing.

Also, one exam down. I think I did okay considering how little I studied. Enough to pass.

The game one will be easy no matter what, so not really gonna do more than go through the past two or three exam papers and take a drink each time SpaceWar is mentioned.

My comp fundamentals exam, on the other hand, is 40 questions of pure fact memorization. The kind of stuff I'll forget the second the exam finishes. I'm actually kind of worried about this one.

/blog

Salazar

Anybody have tips for an ARMA II noob ?

It is dribbling its way into my Steam at the moment. Patches ? (will Steam just update it ?) Mods ?

shanshan310 said:
I did not move to Brisbane for it to be 8 degrees. >=( Next stop: Darwin?

Yesterday was fairly nice as the sun was out, not today though. The further-est north I'd move is Noosa. Too many killer jellyfish up north.

Salazar

bodyboarder said:
The further-est north I'd move is Noosa. Too many killer jellyfish up north.

I just organised a week or so (starting week after next) right up near (practically in) the national park.

Shame it's going to be so amazingly goddamn cold.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I finished my Algorithmic Problem Solving exam a few days ago, but I still have Object-Orientated Programming Fundamentals, Webpage Authoring and "Intro to Computer Architecture, OS and Network Structure" to go.

Algorithmics was always the exam that could have had the most dangerous questions (I'm really happy with how I went), the rest are mostly logical.

Couple that with what I think was a successful group interview and I'm a happy camper.

Jintor

Man, walking around in slight drizzle is great. Not quite torrential enough to soak you completely, but misty enough to be refreshing.

Salazar

Jintor said:
Man, walking around in slight drizzle is great. Not quite torrential enough to soak you completely, but misty enough to be refreshing.

As long as you have somewhere warm - and not a tent - to go back to.

Salazar

Tents are bullshit.

I went on fishing camp in year ten. Lots of weed smoked. Lots of fish-hooks stepped on. Barely any fish caught. Three sharks seen.

Could have been ok - but I just can't fucking stand being in a tent.

Jintor

Salazar said:
As long as you have somewhere warm - and not a tent - to go back to.

Oh definitely

I was also snugged up in the warmest jacket I have, scarf, and two pairs of gloves. Oh and my confortable, ear-warming headphones.

Being warm in the rain is awesome.

Danoss

I used to love a walk in the summer rain. It may be rather gloomy, but the rain is such a nice temperature, it's like walking through a lukewarm shower.

Salazar

Cover story in Weekend SMH Spectrum is the old "are video gamez better than film ?"

Which is to say, Rockstar have a new game out. Let's play someone infatuated with it off against someone who has never played and will never play it.

Let's uncritically admit brain-destroyingly false and fatuous contentions from both sides, and congratulate ourselves on hosting a vital cultural debate.

Infuriatingly stupid. Do not read.

Salazar

Damn, that has the potential to get that Jessie J song out of my head.

I might, at this rate, be playing Arma 2 at around 3 am.

Danoss

reptilescorpio said:
Maybe it is because I am a country bumpkin but any time anyone says summer rain all I can think of is this.
Heh, I remember that song well, though I didn't think of it when posting earlier.

Also, Manly off to a flyer already.

Salazar said:
Cover story in Weekend SMH Spectrum is the old "are video gamez better than film ?"

Which is to say, Rockstar have a new game out. Let's play someone infatuated with it off against someone who has never played and will never play it.

Let's uncritically admit brain-destroyingly false and fatuous contentions from both sides, and congratulate ourselves on hosting a vital cultural debate.

Infuriatingly stupid. Do not read.
It read like the only movies coming out anymore are blockbusters and it ignored the fact that la noire is so frustrating to play.

Salazar

roosters93 said:
It read like the only movies coming out anymore are blockbusters and it ignored the fact that la noire is so frustrating to play.

And it featured an outright dickhead from the BFI flatly dismissing the possibility that games could have historical or philosophical resonance of even the slightest degree.

It is negligent cultural journalism to just quote differing species of bullshit (gamez are the pinnacle of art and entertainment/gamez are cognitively null) and see what happens when they collide.

Unrelated: the female Australian advisor voice on Total War: Rome is really sexy. Google tells me it's Karen Crone, who was supposedly in Crocodile Dundee.

Weird.

Salazar

Jintor said:
I logged into the press account and checked out DNF. It's terrible. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Have no fear.

I still have to figure out how not to be a dick in Hitman, and Arma 2 looks like it will soak up some time.

And I still have to finish the Witcher 2. I'm in the mines
looking for that fucking herb for that stupid bitch who drank something that was VISIBLY poisonous.

Jintor

Well, Gaf seems to like it, so maybe turn off your brain and see.

It's bizarre. The action isn't done well enough to be satisfying but it's not funny or interesting enough to be anything other than an action-shooter.

Dead Man

Jintor said:
Well, Gaf seems to like it, so maybe turn off your brain and see.

It's bizarre. The action isn't done well enough to be satisfying but it's not funny or interesting enough to be anything other than an action-shooter.
It'll be a while before I get it anyway, so as long as I get it on a Steam sale I won't care so much.

Triple j is having a hottest 100 of Australian albums. There should be some interesting picks in there like always. Any ideas? I think The Avalanche's Since I Left You is definitely up there.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
roosters93 said:
Triple j is having a hottest 100 of Australian albums. There should be some interesting picks in there like always. Any ideas? I think The Avalanche's Since I Left You is definitely up there.

Tis my vote!

Clipper

Incidentally, anyone with a US 3DS wanting to buy credit off the store, you need to put your postcode in. Just prefix it with '0' so it looks like a US zip code and the transaction should go through.

kase23

roosters93 said:

Spiderbaits Ivy and the Big Apples is my pick

Shaneus

roosters93 said:
Yerp. If I was going for Australian *electronic*, I'd probably nominate The Presets' Apocalypso.

Although, that *is* out of the last 20-30 years. Surely there'd be albums by INXS, Nick Cave, AC/DC, TISM that would rate higher.

PS. TISM was an obvious joke. As much as I'd like, they'd never rate against the "classics" of Australian music.

Salazar

Seems less cold today.

Could an Ausgaffer please give me a baby-steps guide to applying the ACE 2 mod to a Steam version of ARMA 2 ?

It's not Operation Arrowhead - a lot of the documentation applies to OA.

roosters93 said:
Midnight Oil, Powderfinger, Silverchair, Grinspoon. Just off the top of my head.

Edit: Poop, and Spiderbait, INXS, Bad Seeds of course.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Midnight Oil, Powderfinger, Silverchair, Grinspoon. Just off the top of my head.

Edit: Poop, and Spiderbait, INXS, Bad Seeds of course.
I guarantee you that the list suffers from typical Triple J Syndrome, where, save for a few albums here and there, a lot of albums from the 70s and 80s are largely forgotten. I'd be surprised if bands like Skyhooks or Hoodoo Gurus even rate a mention.

It's at this point (for some weird reason) I'll admit that I had the soundtrack for Young Einstein on cassette :(

Shaneus said:
I guarantee you that the list suffers from typical Triple J Syndrome, where, save for a few albums here and there, a lot of albums from the 70s and 80s are largely forgotten. I'd be surprised if bands like Skyhooks or Hoodoo Gurus even rate a mention.

It's at this point (for some weird reason) I'll admit that I had the soundtrack for Young Einstein on cassette :(
Angus & Julia Stone will come up because it is so recent but even the hottest 100 of all time had some stuff from the 70s and 80s. I think it will be a pretty good list even if the top 20 will be more recent than it should.

Fredescu

To be fair, Skyhooks don't rate a mention. You Am I do on the other hand. Surprised you guys didn't mention them.

I don't know what the "Industry Top 40" means http://www.abc.net.au/corp/pubs/media/s3236823.htm, but they've put Hourly Daily ahead of Hi Fi Way, which is unusual. The critics usually put Hi Fi Way ahead. At the time of release I prefered Hi Fi Way, but Hourly Daily is a stayer. Amazing album.

Murder Ballads is a terrible album though, which they put ahead of Let Love In. Oh well.

reptilescorpio said:
Angus & Julia Stone will come up because it is so recent but even the hottest 100 of all time had some stuff from the 70s and 80s. I think it will be a pretty good list even if the top 20 will be more recent than it should.
Eugh.

Gazunta

I bought Hi Fi Way the same day I bought Stunt Race FX and so they are always both the soundtrack and video clips of each other in my mind.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Yeah, but they usually seem kinda token, though. Like how most electronic artists list Kraftwerk as an influence, even when there obviously isn't any (and Joy Division with emos etc.).
Fredescu said:
To be fair, Skyhooks don't rate a mention. You Am I do on the other hand. Surprised you guys didn't mention them.

I don't know what the "Industry Top 40" means http://www.abc.net.au/corp/pubs/media/s3236823.htm, but they've put Hourly Daily ahead of Hi Fi Way, which is unusual. The critics usually put Hi Fi Way ahead. At the time of release I prefered Hi Fi Way, but Hourly Daily is a stayer. Amazing album.

Murder Ballads is a terrible album though, which they put ahead of Let Love In. Oh well.
Yeah, agreed on all points... was more mentioning Skyhooks as an example. You Am I definitely deserve more credit than they get in the overall history of Australian music. I saw them live in Geelong (Magic Dirt opened for them) many moons ago and they absolutely rocked the shit. Purple Sneakers <3

Fredescu said:

Agree on both counts. Hard to remember all the awesome Aussie albums over the years since I have like 5 or 6 new albums every day to download. You Am I will be high up there, used to get a lot of plays on the J, same with Jebediah. Also that industry list is pretty solid.

Shaneus said:
Yeah, but they usually seem kinda token, though. Like how most electronic artists list Kraftwerk as an influence, even when there obviously isn't any (and Joy Division with emos etc.)
I love Joy Division. They always deserve a spot.

You heard the acoustic version of Ice Cream by Muscles before? Forgot how great it is. He was awesome when I saw him live last time.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Agree on both counts. Hard to remember all the awesome Aussie albums over the years since I have like 5 or 6 new albums every day to download. You Am I will be high up there, used to get a lot of plays on the J, same with Jebediah. Also that industry list is pretty solid.

I love Joy Division. They always deserve a spot.

You heard the acoustic version of Ice Cream by Muscles before? Forgot how great it is. He was awesome when I saw him live last time.
The JD thing was more of a reference to how every "cool" shoegazing band cites them as an influence. I mean I love them, but when (if?) I ever make/release music I won't be citing them as an influence. Influence/love are two completely different things, most bands (in trying to sound cool) just don't get that.

I quite like Muscles. I've seen him live(ish) and he wasn't as good as that particular performance. His debut album is awesome, too.

ATF487

roosters93 said:

The Drones - Wait Long By The River and the Bodies of Your Enemies Will Float By definitely deserves a top 10 placement

Deeku

I think I'm finally getting used to this "wait a month or 2 instead of buying day 1" thing. Just bought a couple of games I held off on from ozgameshop for around 30 bucks each.

Feels good man.

commanderdeek said:
I think I'm finally getting used to this "wait a month or 2 instead of buying day 1" thing. Just bought a couple of games I held off on from ozgameshop for around 30 bucks each.

Feels good man.
Also means you get 3 for the price of 1!
to add to the backlog of course. :(

Jintor

If I can get another two pages of my essay done today I guess I'll play more DNF to see if I'm just not giving it a fair go or something

Gaf seems to be giving it a solid 7 or so atm which is ridiculously generous imho, but then i've only just got the shotgun so... okay

Shaneus

Oh man, so glad I'm not in the no-fap contest in OT. Watching Le Mans on One in HD, I'm barely holding out. Looks so. fucking. good.

I strongly urge anyone not doing anything to put on channel 1 (not 11) right now.

Shaneus said:
Oh man, so glad I'm not in the no-fap contest in OT. Watching Le Mans on One in HD, I'm barely holding out. Looks so. fucking. good.

I strongly urge anyone not doing anything to put on channel 1 (not 11) right now.

Way ahead of you.

Salazar said:
I just organised a week or so (starting week after next) right up near (practically in) the national park.

Shame it's going to be so amazingly goddamn cold.

Nice, though totally the wrong time of year.

Top Bottom