• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Fredescu

roosters93 said:
Triple j is having a hottest 100 of Australian albums. There should be some interesting picks in there like always. Any ideas? I think The Avalanche's Since I Left You is definitely up there.
With my wife in bed with a toothache, I spent my Sunday reminiscing. Here's the culturally irrelevant top 10 of an old man who hasn't listened to music in ten years.

You Am I - Hourly, Daily
Tuesday - Soldier - Mr Milk

Paradise Motel - Still Life
Men Who Loved Her - Bad Light - Calling You

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Henry's Dream
Papa Won't Leave You, Henry - John Finn's Wife - Brother, My Cup is Empty

Underground Lovers - Dream It Down
Beautiful World - Las Vegas - Weak Will (from the soundtrack of the game Quarantine) - Whole album.

Crowded House - Temple of Low Men
Sister Madly (I was there!) - Into Temptation - Kill Eye

You Am I - Hi Fi Way
Purple Sneakers - Jewels and Bullets - Ken (The Mother Nature's Son)

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Let Love In
Red Right Hand - I Let Love In - Thirsty Dog

Custard - Wahooti Fandango
Pack Yr Suitcases - Alone (I was there also) - Singlette - Whole Album

Crowded House - Together Alone
Distant Sun - Kare Kare - Private Universe

--

Honorable mentions:

Live Seeds is my favorite Bad Seeds album, but it won't let me vote for it because I guess live compilations don't count.
Plain Gold Ring - The Ship Song - The Weeping Song - From Her To Eternity

Every other Crowded House Album
Four Seasons in One Day - Chocolate Cake - Don't Dream It's Over

Smudge - You Me Carpark... Now
Mike Love, Not War - Pedantic

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Your Funeral...My Trial
The Carny - Scum - You're Funeral, My Trial

SPDFGH - Leave Me Like This
Wikky's Ode (shh, there were better songs on the album)

Screamfeeder - Kitten Licks
Gravity - Dart

Bluebottle Kiss - Fear of Girls
Autumn Comes Too Soon

Gyroscope - Are You Involved?
Sexxxy - 22 of 3

Augie March - Moo, You Bloody Choir
Cold Acre - One Crowded Hour

--

Very interested in hearing other peoples selections!

I really like Sound Shattering Sound by Gyroscope but don't really like Are You Involved?

I will expect Hilltop Hoods in the top 20 as well. Karnivool in top 20 would be great but I'm not holding my breath.

Also no Spiderbait or Silverchair? How about Powderfinger?

Fredescu

I'll check Sound Shattering Sound out, thanks. I haven't listened to anything other than Are You Involved, which I still really like.

Spiderbait were fun live, but as far as albums go I prefer more introspective music. Silverchair and Powderfinger were both sort of bad in the era that affected me the most. I know Internationalist was good, but it came a bit late for me. Early Silverchair was just bad music. Poor imitation. I believe they have matured over the years.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Early silverchair is the best silverchair.

I never enjoyed their slow poppy rock bullshit. As silly as frogstomp was, it's still a great album for a bunch of 14yr old kids at their first attempt.

Powderfinger - Odyssey Number Five

Whatever Makes You Happy, These Days, My Kind Of Scene
Wooden Ears is a great grunge album but #5 was the peak of their song writing. Vulture St is a great rock album too.

Silverchair - Freak Show/Neon Ballroom

The Door, Slave, No Association
Spawn Again, Emotion Sickness, Miss You Love

I like Frogstomp but Freak Show was taking the grunge influences of that album and taking it to its logical conclusion. Neon Ballroom is when they injected some pop sensibilities, as if Daniel Johnson finally listened to the Beatles and Beach Boys properly. Diorama was overblown and the newest album is middling.

Gazunta

Ok did the voting and in the process went to the JJJ site for the first time in a decade.

Clouds - Futura
Clouds - Octopus
Clouds - Penny Century
Clouds - Thunderhead
Icehouse - Man of Colours
Pete Murray - See the Sun
Screamfeeder - Kitten Licks
Superjesus - Sumo
You Am I - Hi Fi Way
You Am I - Hourly, Daily

I was quite The Clouds fan.

Shaneus

Shit, I'd completely forgotten about Icehouse. Even though I was quite the youngin' when Man of Colours came out, I still managed to get it taped from the vinyl of my sister's then-boyfriend. Nothing Too Serious is still one of my favourite psyche-up songs.

Gazunta

markot said:
Am I the only person that never liked the silverchair >.<?
Nah, never much fancied them either. Nothing against them,just never saw what the fuss was about.

I get strange looks when say that Powderfinger give me the shits, though. Even back when they were playing in the Valley every weekend at free gigs I was giving them a wide berth.

Shaneus

Awesome. The auto shutdown for the 360 doesn't recognise that Foxtel is a media player thing, just asked if I wanted to keep it switched on while I watched Le Mans. I'm guessing it doesn't do this for streamed/downloaded movies, but it's obviously something that needs to be fixed-a-roony.

Surprised no one has mentioned The Living End yet (unless I missed it), especially considering their early stuff broke all sorts of records.

I actually think their recent stuff--e.g. White Noise--is still pretty good too. IIRC they toured for a year for that record under a pseudonym while they tried out a bunch of material.

Good to see Jebediah get a mention. I'm a fan of Superjesus' Sumo as well, but not whatever their followup was called.

Both Custard and Eskimo Joe deserve a shoutout too (for Sweater Song, not for their Black Fingernails, Red Wine era stuff).

markot

Banned
codswallop said:
Surprised no one has mentioned The Living End yet (unless I missed it), especially considering their early stuff broke all sorts of records.
All their stuff sounded the same >_<

Jintor

Yeah, I can't believe it took me a few years to work that out

I've never really had an ear for vast differences in music anyway. I just like what I like. Can't see the point in advocating it to others.

Fredescu

Gazunta said:
And my #1 vote would be for Penny Century by The Clouds.
Listening to this now. It's pretty great. Don't know why I didn't get into them in the day. I'm sure I've seen them play at least once.

markot

Banned
Is it wrong to say Aussie music pales quite poorly in comparison to the Brits and Yanks >.>?

Can our best go toe to toe with their best?

Outside of Paul Kelly... Hmm.

Shaneus

This seems somewhat appropriate given the tone of the discussion.

PS. Jack Jones (from Southern Sons) was used for Whispering Jack's voice in the above video.

So... what about this gem?
Southern+Sons_www.rocking-maniacs.blogspot.com.jpg

Ydahs

So I just sat at my PC for the past hour wondering what to do.

Maybe it's time to clear out some of my back log.

Which should I tackle:
Darksiders
Mirror's Edge
Resistance 1
Resistance 2
RE5
InFamous

Ydahs said:
So I just sat at my PC for the past hour wondering what to do.

Maybe it's time to clear out some of my back log.

Which should I tackle:
Darksiders
Mirror's Edge
Resistance 1
Resistance 2
RE5
InFamous

Go with infamous first.

Oh hey there public holiday morning AusGAF, what's happening?

About to make my gf breakfast for her birthday. Bacon, eggs, chipolatas, mushrooms and haloumi. Let's hope I don't burn this place down on the way to cholesterol city.

I'm at work on the Queens berfday public holiday. It took me two hours to get here this morning because the buses aren't running on the normal schedule :(

Oh, and I updated my blog over the weekend. Is there any place I can go to find stock images that won't get me in trouble with the owners?

markot said:
All their stuff sounded the same >_<
Oh yeah, definitely. Doesn't mean they weren't incredibly popular. Isn't Second Solution still the best-selling single ever in Australia?

I wonder whether Cold Chisel and Barnesy will make appearances...

Jintor

Holy shit elek.

I've decided to take up a basic fitness plan. Weights and cardio, baby. Gonna take it seriously and see if I actually lose weight or not.

If you saw me on the street I look pretty alright, but I know I'm a little pudgy, so gonna try and take care of that. :<

elektrixx

Banned
I live on the Central Coast.

Our phone line sucks right now too. It's cracking over the phone and my internet connection drops randomly.

Choc

Banned
its raining like a lot in sydney yeah

also

what is the deal with resistence 3. Does sony not want this to succeed?

Shocking E3 showing, and now the trial on PSN which is up on Asian PSN is quite frankly the worst level ever.

You sit in a boat shooting guys for 20 mins, and then over. What

Even the e3 level was better than that. Game looks shit overall :|

Lucky it has good boxart

Gazunta

So in the light of the Silverchair revelations, is this now the thread where we admit to hating Australian things?

Coz I can't fucking stand Cate Blanchett. Can't stand the way she acts, can't stand the way she talks in that bullshit accent, I don't get how anyone could find someone who looks like a creepy meth addict attractive, and I wish she'd just fuck off somewhere.

Wow, that felt good to finally say.

Top Bottom