• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

jambo

Rezbit said:
Also damn Monday sucks for TV on free to air.

I had to put up with F2A TV all weekend, my god it's shit compared to Foxtel, truly, truly shit.

I don't know how I survived for all those years without it.

Shaneus

Thanks to the free Foxtel on 360 month, I managed to watch Le Mans for the grand total of NOTHING. Rest of it is a fucking ripoff, though... literally nothing else interesting on. When I wasn't watching the race I was downloading catchup episodes of Married With Children for the hell of it.

That show has not aged well at all.

I didn't watch one second of TV (except some Le Mans highlights on CNN while at a hotel bar) from when I went to bed Thursday night until about 8pm last night.

Used to have Foxtel but canned it when they started having so many ads. Ugh.

Rezbit said:
Also damn Monday sucks for TV on free to air. Choose between Rescue Ops and Offspring. I have watched 5 minutes of both and hate both enormously already. It's must shit TV.
I'm the opposite I love Monday Nights, it just sucks that everything I want to watch (Top Gear, Amazing Race Aus and Man vs Wild) is all on at the same bloodly time. Plus you got Mythbusters and then Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares on as well and I find it to be a good night for TV.

codswallop said:
God that annoys me the most about Foxtel, we get it at work and it sucks when your on a 15 min break and want to watch something but all you got is adds for 5 mins, and they all sell the same thing either Life Insurance, Funeral Planning or weight loss. I thought the whole point of Pay TV was so you Pay for it to not get adds.

Shaneus

Worthintendo said:
God that annoys me the most about Foxtel, we get it at work and it sucks when your on a 15 min break and want to watch something but all you got is adds for 5 mins, and they all sell the same thing either Life Insurance, Funeral Planning or weight loss. I thought the whole point of Pay TV was so you Pay for it to not get adds.
The free trial pretty well served as a good indication why *not* to get it. Absolutely nothing on there that interests me in the slightest... but then again, I fired up FTA the other day and it's the same deal. Apart from the odd sporting (AFL, F1, Le Mans) event, there's absolutely nothing on that interests me. Either I'm finally growing up or TV has turned into a cesspool of reality shows and current affairs.

Shaneus said:
The free trial pretty well served as a good indication why *not* to get it. Absolutely nothing on there that interests me in the slightest... but then again, I fired up FTA the other day and it's the same deal. Apart from the odd sporting (AFL, F1, Le Mans) event, there's absolutely nothing on that interests me. Either I'm finally growing up or TV has turned into a cesspool of reality shows and current affairs.

Make sure you cancel the service before the end of the month. I forgot I even had it and they took out an extra month worth of money.

Choc

Banned
Shaneus said:

it's outside the European football season

of course it has nothing :)

Shaneus

Sutton Dagger said:
Make sure you cancel the service before the end of the month. I forgot I even had it and they took out an extra month worth of money.
Signed up for it on the second or third of this month. With no big sporting events coming up in the next week or two, I'm going to cancel it in the next couple of days.

jambo

codswallop said:

I'm pretty sure movies are uninterrupted and sports only have ads during long breaks. There's hardly any TV shows that I watch on Foxtel, it's mainly sports, movies and stuff like Top Gear and Mythbusters.

Also, got back to Adelaide this morning at 8.30 and it was 5 degrees -_-

markot

Banned
Also, repeatedly playing the same stuff is annoying >.> as in the exact same episode of a show 10 times a week...

Columbo is the only reason I can think of getting it! Great show... but I should get the dvds I guess...

jambo

I love the repeating, means you can catch stuff again if you come in halfway through or forget to set a recording.

Also there are tonnes of HD channels, unlike F2A which has like 5.

EDIT: Plus FoxFooty is back next year xD

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
I love the repeating, means you can catch stuff again if you come in halfway through or forget to set a recording.

Also there are tonnes of HD channels, unlike F2A which has like 5.

EDIT: Plus FoxFooty is back next year xD

Foxtel treats HD with respect

FTA shits all over it says we never told you to buy HDTVs and in actual fact should be class action'd for pushing HD so hard and then switching it all off

useless fucking pricks. How can SOO not be in HD?

jambo said:
I'm pretty sure movies are uninterrupted and sports only have ads during long breaks. There's hardly any TV shows that I watch on Foxtel, it's mainly sports, movies and stuff like Top Gear and Mythbusters.

Also, got back to Adelaide this morning at 8.30 and it was 5 degrees -_-
Yeah, movies and sports are, but the movies were never ones I wanted to watch, I hated coming in partway through a movie, and most of the sports I was never interested in (ESPN Outdoor Games? C'mon! They even had cup stacking championships once).

When Pay TV first started, it was show promos between shows and never ads inbetween. Now, there still might be fewer commercial ads, but there's still so much I can't stand it.

Choc said:
How can SOO not be in HD?
Not that I give a shit being in Melbourne, but seriously? Isn't it one of the biggest TV events of the year in NSW and QLD? If we don't get HD with that, I guess we're already at HD rock bottom.

Choc

Banned
yes cod exactly

you've got foxtel falling over itself to put sport in 3D and the FTA can't even get it right in HD

no wonder people don't watch tv anymore, they are fucking useless

Choc

Banned
862319-miami-herald.jpg

this appear in the miami herald today roffles

jambo

The best part Choc

The ad ran on the same page as a story about the series with the headline "Heat just never got the point during Finals loss to more-organized Mavs" and a banner that reads "DALLAS WINS BEST-OF-7 SERIES 4-2."

:lol

Shaneus

Is anyone able to give me a brief rundown of why Miami have been so despised over the last year or so? From what I can tell, they basically tried to buy a ring by getting James but is there more to it? How did they get so much money?

Choc

Banned
they bought James and Wade and fucked up two other teams from what i hear

and expected to go all the way based on it. I'm no BBall fan its just what i read

also

you mexicans may not know how good you have it compared to Sydney

995943-train-statistics.jpg

Does Melbourne count a train being less than 11 minutes late on time like sydney?

Do you have trains every 30-45 mins outside peak hours?

Do your trains regularly go to ABSOLUTE SHIT during the rain? ie stop working, run slow, be late by a mile etc?

and at least you have zoning and better fares.

Choc said:

Does Melbourne count a train being less than 11 minutes late on time like sydney?

Do your trains regularly go to ABSOLUTE SHIT during the rain? ie stop working, run slow, be late by a mile etc?

Yes, yes, and yes (and they don't brake properly in the rain causing the trains to slide past the platforms, and the tracks buckle in the heat as well -- whereas Adelaide in the same heatwave just keeps on keeping on). And I don't really know.

jambo

We do have some issues with the trains and trams in hot weather, rails buckling and what not, but it has to get really damn hot.

Also when the new trams were first put in, the cooling system wasn't properly set up for Adelaide summer temperatures, so everyone was complaining and writing in to the papers and the opposition were saying we'd have to get new trams or have major repairs. All they needed to do was redirect the flow of air and it was fixed after like 3 weeks :lol

jambo said:
We do have some issues with the trains and trams in hot weather, rails buckling and what not, but it has to get really damn hot.
The last heatwave we had, Adelaide's trains were still operating (IIRC there were guys hosing down the tracks?) and Melbourne's rail network just flat out stopped. And it was hotter in Adelaide (47c in Melbourne and 48c in Adelaide maybe?).

Frawdder

Shaneus said:
Is anyone able to give me a brief rundown of why Miami have been so despised over the last year or so? From what I can tell, they basically tried to buy a ring by getting James but is there more to it? How did they get so much money?
It's more of James wanting to go to a team that could guarantee him a ring. Three superstars (Wade, James and Bosh) came together to win a championship and couldn't do it against a great TEAM.

Also, James said before the season started that this was the greatest trio to ever play the game or something equally stupid.

And the way James decided to leave Cleveland was quite hilarious, had his own half hour or hour "show" on ESPN or something, 'The Decision'. I think people hate LeBron more than the whole Miami Heat, basically LeBron is a big cry baby who thinks he deserves a ring but apart from two MVPs hasn't really done anything except for proclaiming himself as the King and a big choker who can't perform in late game situations.

Fredescu

Choc said:
We've been over this before, this isn't true. It was right for one report like 8 years ago. It's not true now.

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
We've been over this before, this isn't true. It was right for one report like 8 years ago. It's not true now.

fair enough. but they still did it, didn't they at one point.

so they are all FUCKED

Shaneus

Cheers for the rundown, Frawdder! Makes a lot of sense... there are a few people on FB/Twitter where that's cropped up. Good to see that a real team effort (that has a good spread of players) won.

I actually watched the replay of the last game yesterday... giving Dirk Nowitzki one hell of a rap. Probably the praise LeBron thought he was going to get :lol

jambo

codswallop said:
The last heatwave we had, Adelaide's trains were still operating (IIRC there were guys hosing down the tracks?) and Melbourne's rail network just flat out stopped. And it was hotter in Adelaide (47c in Melbourne and 48c in Adelaide maybe?).

Could be, I don't use the trains at all, just buses and in the past, trams.

Also this pic makes me sad

QZJIp.png

Adelaide's tram network in the late 50s. Now all that's left is the Adelaide to Glenelg line.

Choc

Banned
more depressing is sydney had a good tram system and scrapped it

guess what, they are bringing it back

woftam that they got rid of em in the first place

pollies are useless

edit: I have heard on fairly good authority (someone who would know) that the real reason QANTAS is not flying right now is that to fly under the cloud burns more fuel, and therefore significantly increases the cost of the flights

As this is a disruption not caused by QANTAS they don't have to provide hotels etc, so they get off scott free (aside from PR problems).

I'm inclined to believe this somewhat, maybe not all of it. If QANTAS really didn't think it was safe to fly out of Melbourne yesterday, why did a number of International QANTAS flights (not going to NZ) fly out during the ban on domestic flights?

NZ is off the radar because its completely covered in ash. So why is Emirates, Air NZ, Pacific Blue and British Airways (incidentally carryign QF passengers (BA) ) flying to NZ? Under the cloud, using more fuel is what they are doing.

Why is the airspace not closed? I think there is more to the QANTAS excuse then passenger safety. It's good QANTAS is putting passengers in focus, but is it just a convenient excuse. Other airlines aren't dumb...............

and given how much Joyce has crapped on about the cost of fuel recently (and no other airline really has), there's some level of credibility.

jambo

Luckily the SA Govt is looking in to extending the line so that after it goes through the city it keeps going North West up past Cheltenham to Port Adelaide and Semaphore.

There's also talk of another branch running off East of the city. Would be cool to have multiple light rail lines running around Adelaide just like in days gone by.

EDIT: Saw The Hangover: Part II on the weekend at the Hayden Orpheum Picture Palace. Place was packed and the movie was hilarious.

Trams are great when they're close into the city, but trains are much better as you get further out. There's a tram line that runs about 25km into the city and it takes about 2-3 times as long as the equivalent train.

Plus, as a driver, trams are annoying. But, in the inner Melbourne suburbs, the tram network is pretty good* because it's so dense.

* I've never used it on a regular basis, so am only basing this on my infrequent use and observation.

jambo

The way the trains are set up in Adelaide, none of them go directly West, so we need the tram going to Glenelg. Plus once it's out of town it has it's own corridor until it gets to Glenelg.

It's only about 15km from Glenelg to the City, takes about 30-40 minutes to get in.

Since I've moved away from the tram I get the bus every day now, takes about 15-20 minutes to get in, but the last 5-10 minutes is just to get through the middle of the CBD. Damn traffic.

markot

Banned
Choc said:
they bought James and Wade and fucked up two other teams from what i hear

and expected to go all the way based on it. I'm no BBall fan its just what i read

also

you mexicans may not know how good you have it compared to Sydney

Hmm. And the only one that is private is Melbournes system >.<

So. Remember when privatisation was meant to reduce costs, increase efficiency... and be the second coming?

Sill waiting >.>

Omikron

Choc said:

Its always a competition, but from the perspective of personal experience mixed with fact.

1) To a point, I think its ~ 5 minutes late, its still 'on time'

[url=http://www.metrotrains.com.au/About-us/News/May-performance-results-confirmed.html]Metro Trains[/url] said:
The definition of an on-time train is also different, reducing from the previous threshold of five minutes and 59 seconds to the current, shorter threshold of four minutes and 59 seconds.

2) Yep, depending on the line obviously.

3) Yep, heat in particular is a killer, buckling tracks etc etc due to a lack of upgrades. And don't even start with the number of signal faults we get, regulalry delaying my line by 10 minutes at least once per week.

4) Zoning, used to be worse with 3 zones, now its been simplified with 2. Can't really complain about this tbh. Seems to work alright.

sjt333

codswallop said:
OzGameshop users: I just checked my recent credit card statement and noticed my last purchase the other week included a currency conversion fee. They're suppose to charge in AUD. Any of you other guys getting the same thing?

Edit: Wait, it's an "overseas transaction fee". I thought they had an Australian business where they received the money, but I suppose not. What a gyp.
I ordered from them last week and didn't get charged a fee.

Mar

Clipper said:
Either redeem code via the account panel on the PS3, redeem the code through playstation.com, or I think there is also a code redemption option on the online menu in MK itself. You need to do this on an account that matches the region you bought the game in. If you bought from the UK, your Aussie account should be fine (you might need a UK one though). If you bought from the US, just create a US account if you don't have one already and download it on that account. You'll be able to play on your Aus account after doing that.

What if you're a smelly xbox user?

-_- Klr jhdkhjxdlfkjgj at Queensland Rail prices. They got rid of return/ all day tickets, so now all you can buy are singles which cost like $7 for an adult. Seriously mad at them. I think the idea is to switch everyone over to swipe cards, but its really sucks for anyone who doesn't live in Brisbane. Way to kill tourism guys...

sjt333 said:
I ordered from them last week and didn't get charged a fee.
Turns out it was an "International Transaction Fee". Some banks and financial institutions gouge--I mean charge--you if the bank you use is in a different country to the bank receiving the money.

shanshan310 said:
-_- Klr jhdkhjxdlfkjgj at Queensland Rail prices. They got rid of return/ all day tickets, so now all you can buy are singles which cost like $7 for an adult. Seriously mad at them. I think the idea is to switch everyone over to swipe cards, but its really sucks for anyone who doesn't live in Brisbane. Way to kill tourism guys...
We shall gouge you, fleeting tourist dollar holder.

YOU SHALL NOT LEAVE WITH YOUR PRECIOUS MONEY!!

Enjoy your stay and tell your money hoarding friends!

Picked up Broken Sword for Wii for $10 from Dick Smith. They also had Secret Files 2 Wii for $10 but held back my lavish spending. Dante's Inferno was $25 but I would never get around to playing it.

Jintor said:
Girlfriends doing medicine blows.
Like with a medicine ball? Those things are fucking HEAVY.

codswallop said:
OzGameshop users: I just checked my recent credit card statement and noticed my last purchase the other week included a "overseas transaction fee"
I'm with NAB and have never been charged a fee. Just in case from now on I'll got the PayPal approach rather than VISA debit.

markot said:
Foxtel is the biggest waste of money since.... Laserdisc!
Agreed. My best mate and I had foxtel pretty much just for NBA finals. He just called up today and cancelled his contract since they are over for another year. It was great for the first month or so until we realised it was all old repeats. I much prefer Oneddl and the eventual blu ray purchase.

Shaneus said:
Either I'm finally growing up or TV has turned into a cesspool of reality shows and current affairs.
When was it ever not? My advice to the free-to-air networks? 24 hour Simpsons channel. I would just have it on in the background for the whole day. Nothing newer than Season 14 though.

markot said:
So. Remember when privatisation was meant to reduce costs, increase efficiency... and be the second coming?
It was always about short term benefits (money in pocket) with long term devastation. Politics, it sucks.

Choc said:
I have heard on fairly good authority (someone who would know) that the real reason QANTAS is not flying right now is that to fly under the cloud burns more fuel, and therefore significantly increases the cost of the flights
As soon as I heard that flights were still continuing in NZ, just at lower altitude, I knew they wouldn't bother doing it in Australia. QANTAS et al don't give a shit about anything but profits.

Choc said:
useless fucking pricks. How can SOO not be in HD?
Because they are saving the HD cameras for the EJ Whitten match next month.
1295803943157_More_Pokemon_D-s590x375-127660-580.jpg

Clipper

reptilescorpio said:
Picked up Broken Sword for Wii for $10 from Dick Smith.
I picked that one up at launch. It's a pretty good translation of the original game and the new sections are great. I just wish that they hadn't made it so that George can't die any more. The original handled death in a really great way and now it's gone. The scene on the cliff top has nowhere near as much impact as it had in the original game. Still, it's only a minor gripe. The game is much better on the whole.

Salazar said:
Yeah, I was pretty mad.

But GoCards are good.

They are good, except they happily give your travel history over to the cops at the drop of the hat.

Frawdder said:
And the way James decided to leave Cleveland was quite hilarious,

The boo's he got when he played at Cleveland with heat was hilarious, the boo's didn't stop all game haha.

jambo

reptilescorpio said:
When was it ever not? My advice to the free-to-air networks? 24 hour Simpsons channel. I would just have it on in the background for the whole day. Nothing newer than Season 14 though.

Before Big Brother TV was great. Sure, there were still the current affairs crap, but there was like 10 hours of Simpsons a week, as well as Futurama and great Aussie comedy shows, plus repeats of Friends, Seinfeld, Becker and Frasier.

Salazar

bodyboarder said:
They are good, except they happily give your travel history over to the cops at the drop of the hat.

If I googled, I'd probably find posts from me a while back ranting on GAF against precisely that.

And it still bothers me.

But I tend to arrive at the station with about 1 or 2 minutes to spare, and I can't be stuffed spending them negotiating with a halfwit for a piece of paper.

Top Bottom