• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Choc said:
US PR company shows everything that is wrong with our industry in less than 140 characters

@TheRednerGroup The Redner Group
#AlwaysBetOnDuke too many went too far with their reviews...we r reviewing who gets games next time and who doesn't based on today's venom
38 minutes ago via web Favorite Retweet Reply

basically the US PR group for DNF which 2k hired is saying they will not send games anymore to those who gave 2 and 3 out of 10

2K should be FURIOUS over that tweet, i imagine they are.

What's even more hilarious is the media outrage, if that was happening already (to me at least) I wouldn't be quiet on it.

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
What a stupid thing for that PR company to tweet, honestly.

probably guaranteed 2K won't use them

i know if it was one of mine i'd be ending the contract there and then, its ridiculous and immature.

sure internally think it (even that is bad) but putting it on the web is shocking

the media is going to cover that tweet everywhere

State of Origin counting down. I must say, I'm quite glad that I will be watching the game in front of a fire place, Danos is going to die in this weather :)

Choc

Banned
Gazunta said:
The same 2K that controlled who got to review GTA 4 first based on expected scores, right? Yeah I bet they're livid.

Gaz indeed. But that was not public knowledge for a while and still only rumor.

BUT

this is out and out no subtlety. If you smashed DNF, no games for you in the future.

ridiculous

Gazunta

A someone who's been blacklisted by a publisher once or twice, I say to journalists everywhere: you're actually better off without suckling at publisher teat all day. Grow up and buy your own damn games, it'll make you a better reviewer.

Choc

Banned
Gazunta said:
A someone who's been blacklisted by a publisher once or twice, I say to journalists everywhere: you're actually better off without suckling at publisher teat all day. Grow up and buy your own damn games, it'll make you a better reviewer.

citizenkane.jpg

indeed

Choc

Banned
ahahahah

mumbrella has already retweeted it

for those who have no idea what that is, mumbrella.com.au

fantastic site

Choc said:
#AlwaysBetOnDuke too many went too far with their reviews...we r reviewing who gets games next time and who doesn't based on today's venom
Lol stay classy gaming industry. Not surprising as the publishers are the ones who keep mainstream game reviews in business with advertising dollars. Happened with a heap of Eidos games too. Entertaining stuff at least.

Gazunta said:
Grow up and buy your own damn games, it'll make you a better reviewer.
Thumbs right up. If you pay $60 for a shitty game you are more likely to say it how it is.

Choc

Banned
LOL

I have to apologize to the community. I acted out of pure emotion. I will be sending each of you a private apology.

fucking gold.

2K must have called em ;)

Kritz

Banned
EXAMS DONE, fuck yeah.

Started at 1pm, did it in like 50 minutes... Easy shit. Talked to some other dudes and they said it was balls easy.

Here's hoping I didn't completely fuck it. :D

Sutton Dagger said:
State of Origin counting down. I must say, I'm quite glad that I will be watching the game in front of a fire place, Danos is going to die in this weather :)
Is that tonight? I've been walking around my office wearing a blue shirt and navy vest all day long.

Kritz

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Thumbs right up. If you pay $60 for a shitty game you are more likely to say it how it is.
I want to say again, I paid One hundred and twenty dollars for Fable 3.

Yo that game was BAD.

Also, I think I am going to buy another Ps3. Like, right now. God help me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I prefer the exams I have to claw my way through and just finish within the time limit. It means that most people probably didn't finish, meaning my mark will be higher by default. Easy exams are dangerous business, one wrong question can be the difference between a great mark and an average mark.

jambo

You thought we were going to make it easy for you to get away?

Gazunta said:
Grow up and buy your own damn games, it'll make you a better reviewer.

I know, people who get tonnes of free games are assholes...

Choc

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Excellent. I'll pointedly not watch it, then quickly look up the final result in the morning so I can waltz into work and go "So, how 'bout them Blues?"

Fixed

Danoss

Sutton Dagger said:
Indeed, I'll be coming home a drowned rat. It's all for the love of the game.

I'll be leaving soon for the pre-match function at Acer Arena they're putting on for those who bought tickets to the Blatchy's Blues supporters bay.

I should probably buy a poncho on the way, too. Maybe even three.

Gazunta

Jambo not what I'm saying - hell, pretty much the only reason I BECAME a game reviewer was to get free games :) But I know at least for me personally I thought a lot harder about the reviews where I bought the game out of my own money.

...I was pretty liberal with the 10 out of 10s back in the day :p

jambo

Gazunta said:
Jambo not what I'm saying - hell, pretty much the only reason I BECAME a game reviewer was to get free games :) But I know at least for me personally I thought a lot harder about the reviews where I bought the game out of my own money.

Psst...

Choc

Banned
Gazunta said:

...I was pretty liberal with the 10 out of 10s back in the day :p

HAPPY FEET 2 TEN OUT OF TEN

Some film studios skip doing press screenings for certain films and in certain areas, but I don't think they have ever come out and blatently said we didn't because you reveiwed our last film badly or we know that this next film is a stinker so we are giving it a miss. Also the film industry isn't as tied to the reviewers/journalists as much as the gaming industry is and it's alot cheaper and less time consuming for a film reviewer to catch a regular screening than it is for gaming aswell.

Choc

Banned
pieatorium said:
Some film studios skip doing press screenings for certain films and in certain areas, but I don't think they have ever come out and blatently said we didn't because you reveiwed our last film badly or we know that this next film is a stinker so we are giving it a miss. Also the film industry isn't as tied to the reviewers/journalists as much as the gaming industry is and it's alot cheaper and less time consuming for a film reviewer to catch a regular screening than it is for gaming aswell.

i've done this for a short period as well filling in for some one back in the day

they have their own private theatres in their buildings with awesome sound, booze, drinks food the lot

its somewhat the same and you see the movie 4 weeks ahead, with an NDA.

Also, its amazing how easy it is to get in with the film and music companies to get free samples/showings.

If you have a site, even small they will want to support you. Gaming on the other hand, PR people are fucking blood from stone

just ask vookster

Kritz

Banned
So, the gods heard me. The commonwealth bank's transfarring system is down. Can't get money out of my main account.

VOOK

Choc said:
If you have a site, even small they will want to support you. Gaming on the other hand, PR people are fucking blood from stone

just ask vookster

8 years.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Excellent. I'll pointedly not watch it, then quickly look up the final result in the morning so I can waltz into work and go "So, how 'bout them Macaroons?"
God I could go a macaroon right about now.

Kritz said:
I want to say again, I paid One hundred and twenty dollars for Fable 3.

Yo that game was BAD.

Also, I think I am going to buy another Ps3. Like, right now. God help me.
$120? I hope Sir Peter wrote you a hand written apology. It is a lot of money to pay for a game that you might not enjoy. At least with records it is only $10-20 I am throwing away if it is a pile of crap but games are super expensive and sometimes can be decisive in opinion. Far Cry 2 for instance...
is a brilliant game but some people don't agree.

Don't buy a PS3 yet. Get a great deal.

Kritz

Banned
Danoss said:
Edit: Removed to save Kritz from buying another PS3.

tyWRil.jpg

I WIN

MrSerrels

Choc said:
LOL

I have to apologize to the community. I acted out of pure emotion. I will be sending each of you a private apology.

fucking gold.

2K must have called em ;)

Yep. They fucked up bad.

And Gazunta - totally agree with you. Best thing about being at Kotaku is not having to deal with all that bullshit. I just get to discuss the topics I want to discuss, without having to worry about reviews.

At the end of the day, all things considered, reviews are complete and utter bullshit anyway. I honestly believe that. I hope I never have to write another video game review as long as I live.

EDIT: (via twitter)

TheRednerGroup
Again, I want everyone to know that I was acting on my own. 2K had nothing to do with this. I am so very sorry for what I said.

Dead Man

Choc said:
US PR company shows everything that is wrong with our industry in less than 140 characters

basically the US PR group for DNF which 2k hired is saying they will not send games anymore to those who gave 2 and 3 out of 10

2K should be FURIOUS over that tweet, i imagine they are.
Wow. I don't imagine they will get much more PR business in the future.

VOOK

I write reviews because otherwise I get people asking me, yo Vook what do you think of this game. I don't really like doing them myself though. Unless it's something I really like.

The amount of games we get sent on Vooks these days is negligible anyway. We buy most ourselves. Ironically Nintendo send us the most, which 3 years ago was the complete opposite.

MrSerrels

VOOK said:
I write reviews because otherwise I get people asking me, yo Vook what do you think of this game. I don't really like doing them myself though. Unless it's something I really like.

The amount of games we get sent on Vooks these days is negligible anyway. We buy most ourselves. Ironically Nintendo send us the most, which 3 years ago was the complete opposite.

Yeah I was being harsh and off the cuff - I don't have a problem with reviews, more people's reaction to them. Folks taking them so seriously. There's just so much wrong with the way video games are reviewed, and the mental hive-think that goes along with it. But breaking away from it would require this weird re-working of everyone's expectations and a shared understanding of what that would entail.

Basically, it's just this weird mess that makes all reviews meaningless to me.

Shaneus

hamchan said:
People on my PSN friends list!!!!

Play more Wipeout HD so I have more times on my friends leaderboard >:-(
Want to add me? Shaneus2k2 (I think). Every so often I have a good HD sesh so if I don't have times on for specific tracks, chances are I would within the week :)

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Danoss said:
Indeed, I'll be coming home a drowned rat. It's all for the love of the game.

I'll be leaving soon for the pre-match function at Acer Arena they're putting on for those who bought tickets to the Blatchy's Blues supporters bay.

I should probably buy a poncho on the way, too. Maybe even three.
Sounds like you're in for a miserable night.

Really wet and NSW losing.

MrSerrels

Jintor said:
I'd love to write more editorial responses than reviews

Tom Bissell's piece on L.A. Noire is the kind of thing I'd prefer to read. It's a response to a game we've all played, we've all discussed and it's intelligently argued from a number of fresh perspectives.

I understand in the grand scheme of things the whole PR machinery of the review will remain intact, but I just don't want to take part in it, because the whole thing feels a bit artificial and dishonest.

Jintor

MrSerrels said:
Tom Bissell's piece on L.A. Noire is the kind of thing I'd prefer to read. It's a response to a game we've all played, we've all discussed and it's intelligently argued from a number of fresh perspectives.

I understand in the grand scheme of things the whole PR machinery of the review will remain intact, but I just don't want to take part in it, because the whole thing feels a bit artificial and dishonest.

Give me a guest blog on KotakuAU Serrels! You know I'm good for it :p

Top Bottom