• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Choc said:
995943-train-statistics.jpg
Go Transperth. That said we most likely have the simplest train network out of all the major cities in Aus, only 5 lines and only 1 of those splits off into a separate line. Would be nicer if the trains ran more at late night and more frequently. But yeah we never have the problems we hear about from over east with trains running mega late and so on, so yay for that I guess.

Salazar said:
If I googled, I'd probably find posts from me a while back ranting on GAF against precisely that.

And it still bothers me.

But I tend to arrive at the station with about 1 or 2 minutes to spare, and I can't be stuffed spending them negotiating with a halfwit for a piece of paper.

Yeah same, and paper tickets costing twice as much is just as off putting. I really need to get a new go-card and not register it.

Walked into Target after work today to get some socks. Man, since the little guy has arrived I have lost like 20 pairs of socks. It is madness. All I can ever find is an old pair of white(ish) ankle socks for sport. Anyway walk into Target and you know what was playing? FRIDAY. Come on guys, it is Tuesday! Not even hump day yet. Even worse was the old grannie greeting at the front was warbling along with it, swinging her head from side to side with the melody. It was heinous.

Salazar

reptilescorpio said:
Walked into Target after work today to get some socks.

I'm rediscovering socks in this god damn cold weather.

I can understand why people think ArmA 2's AI cheats. I'm trying assassination missions and getting busted by what must be psychic sentries.

Edit: The Good Life on tv. Felicity Kendal and Penelope Keith. HNNNGGG.

2nd Edit: http://www.smh.com.au/small-busines...ver-ministers-predictions-20110614-1g15n.html

Minister flamed for stating the obvious.

I think my PS3 died while I was playing Infamous 2, lucky I got the disk out.

But every time I start it up now it only stays on for about a minute then keeps restarting itself.

I'm guessing its dead?

RustyO

Anyone know where a Taiko no Tatsujin game is in Melbourne?

I only know of one on Russell Street, near the corner of Bourke Street... anymore floating around?

Ydahs

Anyone know of a good online retail where I can get a 3DS + game bundle?

EB Games has 3DS + Ghost Recon for $348, but I'm looking for a blue 3DS. Fishpond has a 3DS for $299, so I might just go with that if there are no game bundles.

Oh, and it must be online retail, I forgot my debit card pin number...

Clipper

Ydahs said:
Anyone know of a good online retail where I can get a 3DS + game bundle?

EB Games has 3DS + Ghost Recon for $348, but I'm looking for a blue 3DS. Fishpond has a 3DS for $299, so I might just go with that if there are no game bundles.

Oh, and it must be online retail, I forgot my debit card pin number...
Sure you don't want to import?

Ydahs

Clipper said:
Sure you don't want to import?
I thought 3DS was cheaper in AU than EU. I can't get a US one since my brother has an AU 3DS and we want to share games.

I might go for the Ridge Racer combo instead, but am not sure of its quality. Has anyone tried it?

robor

Aus Melbourne GAF: Looking for a good game design college.

My story is that I'm thinking about applying for a diploma/degree next year and I've come to a fork in my path that parts in three ways:

1. The college of Swinbourne

2. The college of RMIT

3. The college of AIE

I'm curious if anyone here has been to the above colleges and what feedback you can give on the quality of their courses.

I'm being general so as to not be too specific about what advice any of you can give me: I'm more interested in your experiences at these places.

I go to AIE Melbourne doing Programming. There is no specifically game design course on offer. I did programming at QANTM (w SAE) until I flunked out. Qantm is more like a uni, in terms of you must drive your own learning whereas AIE is more of a TAFE and lead you through practical and hands on tutorials and pretty frequent assessments. I much prefer AIE.

I had a friend that did programming at Swinburne and he said it was shit, which is why he left and went to Qantm. That friend graduated and is now working for a stock company iirc. Take that with a grain of salt though, as it's from a friend.

Anyway, I think AIE is pretty fucking great for programming, it seems pretty great in terms of the 3D modelling and screen stuff too, but I have no experience with those so yeah. If you apply for midyear at AIE you'll be there with me! :eek:

Ydahs

Okay, I've decided to just buy the 3DS from Fishpond for $295 which by itself is a great price. Just a question, why is every single item on the website "In Stock, Ships within 9-18 days from local supplier" or a variant of? A glitch?

EDIT: oh...
Ash Cloud Delays

Due to the ash cloud from the recent Chilean volcano many Domestic and International flights to Australia and New Zealand have been cancelled until further notice. Please note that this may cause delays of an extra 2-5 days in some parcel deliveries
To wait or not to wait... I mean, Kmart is walking distance away, but my stupid debit card...

Clipper

Ydahs said:
Okay, I've decided to just buy the 3DS from Fishpond for $295 which by itself is a great price. Just a question, why is every single item on the website "In Stock, Ships within 9-18 days from local supplier" or a variant of? A glitch?

EDIT: oh...

To wait or not to wait... I mean, Kmart is walking distance away, but my stupid debit card...
Shouldn't you be able to choose to sign instead of using the pin?

Omikron

Started work today reading my email and had something that fit this mold....

'Thanks for getting that documentation / performance testing done at the last minute .... but....'

Well fuck you to, there are reasons it is done the way it is done that you as a marketing numpty would have not even the faintest hint at understanding.

Ydahs said:
I've been hearing some bad feedback about Fishpond. Haven't used them yet myself.

Also the new Transformers game has already leaked, well before the release of the movie. SPOILERS!

reptilescorpio said:
I've been hearing some bad feedback about Fishpond. Haven't used them yet myself.
I've used them precisely one time. I ordered an "in stock" DVD for a birthday present on the Sunday as I wanted it by the following Friday to give it to the recipient on Saturday. The estimate said it would arrive between Tuesday and Thursday, and the shipping notification came out later Sunday. I didn't get it until nearly three weeks later.

When I complained via their Twitter account, they apologised and asked me to DM the details to them so they could "fix it" somehow, which I did two minutes later. I never received a response.

Shaneus

That reminds me, I ordered some XBL point cards from there a week or two ago... their website says it was shipped on 26/5 but I've received nothing :/

Edit: Looks like my experience with them over the past month (regarding shipping dates etc.) mirrors those on Ecogamer.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fishpond take a while, but their prices are amazing. Not for short-term purchases, but if you know you'll need something in a month then they're your guys.

Gazunta

Shaneus, you'll probably get a GIANT box from them in a week or so now, stuffed with packaging surrounding a tiny points card.

Gamecard.com.au is where I go for my XBL needs. They email the code out within 12 hours of purchase.

Salazar

Shaneus said:
That reminds me, I ordered some XBL point cards from there a week or two ago... their website says it was shipped on 26/5 but I've received nothing :/

I'm beginning to think I've been shafted on a dvd purchase through eBay :(

Shaneus

Yeah, I wasn't in a hurry for them, just figured that the price was right. I can wait... gives me an excuse to use my 360 keyboard pad thingy for the first time in a while!

Gazunta

Speaking of online ordering stuff, Child Of Eden is $49 on Ozgameshop.

And DarkStar One is the best $15 I've ever spent. Holy crap I love it so much <3

jambo

Metro 2033 is pretty awesome, I really need to replay it. Haven't played Alpha Protocol yet, might tonight, unless I play more DNF or watch the F1 replay.

Haven't played Alan Wake, but have heard many good things.

Salazar

codswallop said:
So, of Alan Wake, Alpha Protocol, Metro 2033, which would AusGAF recommend as my next purchase?

I am only tentatively on board with the Alpha Protocol love at the moment.

I am still in the janky shooting phase, and I am insufficiently good at the hacking minigame.

I would go Metro 2033.

Ydahs

Clipper said:
Shouldn't you be able to choose to sign instead of using the pin?
Never knew that, but I think it's better if I reset my pin anyway. Been delaying it for too long now.

Also, I've never had issues with Fishpond. Bit of a long wait sometimes, but the prices do make up for it. Their 3DS price is $30 cheaper than any other Aussie online retailer. With that said, I'm just going to head to Kmart and buy a 3DS and possibly Ridge Racer.

Went all the way to Footscray for my interview which wasn't much different to my phone interview. Have to go all the way to Warrnambool next week for another interview.

codswallop said:
So, of Alan Wake, Alpha Protocol, Metro 2033, which would AusGAF recommend as my next purchase?
Alan Wake was the biggest disappointment of my adult life.
Alpha Protocol is janky but a lot of fun. Needed 6 more months of polish.
Metro looks great and is enjoyable in that STALKER kind of way but I didn't enjoy it as much as the rest of GAF. I didn't even finish it.

Thanks for all those responses guys. Still no closer to deciding which one. I'm leaning towards Alpha Protocol because I don't need another shooter right now and I'm still umming and ahhing over whether I want to bother with Alan Wake at all.

Considering they're all like $15 or $20, I'll probably get around to them all eventually anyway.

Shaneus

Upon reading this thread I've decided that there's no fucking way I'm waiting for an import of Child of Eden to come through. I'll happily pay a $20 premium so I can play it when everyone else does. Besides, Mizuguchi deserves my money more than almost any other developer.

Kinect control sounds amazing, too... almost no lag!

Shaneus said:
Upon reading this thread I've decided that there's no fucking way I'm waiting for an import of Child of Eden to come through. I'll happily pay a $20 premium so I can play it when everyone else does. Besides, Mizuguchi deserves my money more than almost any other developer.

Kinect control sounds amazing, too... almost no lag!
EVERY game should come with a reversible cover. EVERY. Once the game is in my house I don't give a fuck about ratings or publisher logos. Just give me sexy artwork. Also when I eventually get a Kinect cheap I will grab this game. Maybe try the Move edition, not sure yet.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
EVERY game should come with a reversible cover. EVERY. Once the game is in my house I don't give a fuck about ratings or publisher logos. Just give me sexy artwork. Also when I eventually get a Kinect cheap I will grab this game. Maybe try the Move edition, not sure yet.
It comes with a reversible cover? Holy shit. Q Entertainment = gods.

Edit: Oh, it's blocked at work. Darn.

Jintor

I fuckin' told you this like two weeks ago

I'm going to go out and rebuy it I think once my pay packet comes in

I'm spending my review money on the game I just reviewed. There's something wrong with me.

jambo said:
EBGames have pre-orders up for Halo CE Anniversary and Halo 4. $108 each :lol
$108? LOL OF MERRY GIRTH.

Developed by 343 Industries in collaboration with Saber Interactive and Certain Affinity
Going by Saber Interactives last 2 games (TimeShit and Battle LA) I have no interest in this remake at full price.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
See the thing is EB know you're going to post that on GAF, Tweet about it, put it on Facebook and at least one person from each place is going to be dumb enough to lock their money away with EB for it. (Even at $108).

That's why they put up the Vita and the Wii U with bullshit prices already, it gets them attention. EB are only now getting savvy with social media and the internet, they have to - otherwise if they don't they'll be dead along with all the other retailers in 5 years. (Look at what's happening with Books).

EB are even now sending out emails and tips to sites like EcoGamer so they get noticed about sales and trade-ins. It's all a distraction to keep you from buying internationally and importing or buying online. They're praying on peoples need for things now and Gen-Y's lazy attitude toward anything.

VOOK said:
It's all a distraction to keep you from buying internationally and importing or buying online. They're praying on peoples need for things now and Gen-Y's lazy attitude toward anything.
If anything ebgames makes me even more happy to import. Even the trade in bonus made it even clearer that they are a rip off. Sure I can trade a game towards another one, but I have to pay ebgames price in the first place. Plus the fact that they refuse my import copies of games for trade ins anyway.

Choc

Banned
US PR company shows everything that is wrong with our industry in less than 140 characters

@TheRednerGroup The Redner Group
#AlwaysBetOnDuke too many went too far with their reviews...we r reviewing who gets games next time and who doesn't based on today's venom
38 minutes ago via web Favorite Retweet Reply

basically the US PR group for DNF which 2k hired is saying they will not send games anymore to those who gave 2 and 3 out of 10

2K should be FURIOUS over that tweet, i imagine they are.

Top Bottom