• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Jintor said:
Give me a guest blog on KotakuAU Serrels! You know I'm good for it :p
I want opinion pieces on games, not reviews so this would be the way to go. Fuck numbers, I just want to know if someone enjoyed a game and why/why not. Break that game down for me and do some analysis, give me the reason why the game exists. Wot I Think on RPS does a good job of it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Jintor said:
I'd love to write more editorial responses than reviews

Me too :(

Reactions and opinions on news and reviews rather then... news and reviews.

Sigh.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I once thought I wanted to write about games.

But then I realised that I wanted to influence games.

So now I want to make games.

I think there's too many people who don't actually enjoy writing who get into game writing because they like games.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
To be more specific I guess I just don't really see who the audience is for writing about games.

Well, I do, but it seems like we're always just complaining about every level of game writing, journalism, PR and audience that it's just like... why would I throw myself to those sharks while games still have so much work ahead of them before they become as culturally acceptable as other entertainment mediums?

I'd rather be on the ground floor trying to think of ideas to push things forward practically, rather than sitting on the outer only hypothesising about why the design process went wrong for game X.

Rez said:
I'd rather be on the ground floor trying to think of ideas to push things forward practically, rather than sitting on the outer only hypothesising about why the design process went wrong for game X.
Some people use journalism to move into the industry, into developers or publishers.

so...

Fact- Duke Nukem Forever is dated in many ways in terms of graphics, design, sound. Occasional slow down (on 360) and long loading times. It could have easily used six months of polish. The game deserves mediocre scores (ie 5 or 6 out of 10, less than that is silly when you have games like Turning Point, Haze and
Far Cry 2
)

Opinion- it's a hell of a lot of fun and I'm glad I'm playing it. I've had more fun with this than the last few FPS single player titles I've been through (BLOPS, Crysis, Crysis 2, Homefront, Bulletstorm, KZ3- all of which were more "better made" and more polished than DNF). I enjoyed all of the mentioned games, but DNF just hit the right buttons.

I enjoyed all of the above mentioned games but DNF (for me) has been more fun.

butthurt PR guy tweeting stuff like that is (deservedly) career suicide

Rezbit

Someone feed me pizza.

Also, I haven't read a game review in SO LONG. I guess I mainly just know if a game will interest me?

MrSerrels

Fredescu said:
I'm sure some people write because they like to write.

This is me +1.

I wanted to be a writer first.

But this...

Well, I do, but it seems like we're always just complaining about every level of game writing, journalism, PR and audience that it's just like... why would I throw myself to those sharks while games still have so much work ahead of them before they become as culturally acceptable as other entertainment mediums?

I relate to this.

Fredescu

I only just noticed the new r/gaming logo. It's awesome.

t5_2qh03.png

Salazar

ArmA 2 Arrowhead is pretty badass.

The drop on the sniper rifles is still a bit realistically emphatic, for me, but it is overall fucking sweet. And it looks gorgeous.

Naive question: When is the National Broadband Network going to benefit me ?

Danoss

user_nat said:
Sounds like you're in for a miserable night.

Really wet and NSW losing.
Dry as a bone right now and NSW U18s just beat QLD 16-6 which I think is a precursor to what's to come.

Don't count your chickens.

Ydahs

Anyone else who preordered OoT from TheHut, did yours also ship today? Surprised since they said it'll ship on the 17th on their website.

Shaneus said:
Holy shit, I've never heard them called "cheevos" before. For some reason that is the coolest fucking word I've seen for ages.
Really? lol thought I remembered it from Idle Thumbs for some reason. It has been part of my vernacular for so long I assumed it was them. Need something to make them sound cool rather than the chore of a second job it had become for me at one point.

Baby is asleep. Other half is at Kylie Minogue. I have no idea what to do with myself.

Gazunta

Everyone buy my game damn it :) I'm strangely proud of the little bastard. $10! I guarantee that all
by that I mean none
of the profits will go to me :p

Just finished finalising the Achievements / Trophies in Happy Feet 2 this week - and the document was called Cheevos.doc :)

I'm enjoying a bit of a post-deadline endorphin rush tonight. Certainly a lot less of them in game development compared to the daily deadlines of my journalism days.

Edit: I became a game journo not because I wanted to be a writer but because I was already writing every day and someone figured they should pay me for it. FOOLS!

Salazar

reptilescorpio said:
Baby is asleep. Other half is at Kylie Minogue. I have no idea what to do with myself.

I was rolling through the desert, but all of a sudden my tank convoy refuses to move down into the pass and waste these insurgents.

So I jog down there with my rifle to try (heroically) to do it myself, and the game fails me for moving too far away from the convoy.

I would really like the option to pull the drivers out of the tanks and execute them.

Choc said:
NEW SOUTH WALES
NEW SOUTH WALES
NEW SOUTH WALES
NEW SOUTH WALES

HELL YEAH!!!!

Such an awesome game as well (so was the first). Fantastic coaching descision to put young hoppa in the game, he played so well. I have to say, Paul Gallen is a bloody machine.

Can't wait until game 3.

Now I wish I was there as well Danoss :(

Danoss

My throat is fucked from all the cheering and chanting. Suck it Queenslanders!

On my way home on the train now and not a drop of rain on me. I stayed dry and the Blues came away with the win.

NEW SOUTH WALES!

Danoss said:
My throat is fucked from all the cheering and chanting. Suck it Queenslanders!

On my way home on the train now and not a drop of rain on me. I stayed dry and the Blues came away with the win.

NEW SOUTH WALES!

Good on you for going mate, looked like an awesome atmosphere in the Blues area. Standout players for you?

Sutton Dagger said:
Good on you for going mate, looked like an awesome atmosphere in the Blues area. Standout players for you?

Gallens performance tonight is the best i have ever seen from a forward.

Edit: In origin that i can remember anyway.

Choc

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
Gallens performance tonight is the best i have ever seen from a forward.

Edit: In origin that i can remember anyway.

and to think that NSW media tore ricky a new one for selecting him as captain before game 1

vindicated ricky.

Choc said:
and to think that NSW media tore ricky a new one for selecting him as captain before game 1

vindicated ricky.

I think that was more to do with his behavior rather than on field performances. I had no problem with him being captain. Gallen is one of the best players i have ever seen and he seems like the type of player who makes everyone else more confident because he is around.

Danoss

Sutton Dagger said:
The atmosphere was absolutely incredible! High fives, knuckles and chanting all over the place, in and out of the stadium; it was approaching deafening sound levels. I wish there was more than one game in Sydney this year, such value for money.

I did laugh at a lot of the things yelled out and at the quiet response of a lady Maroon supporter who was sitting next to me: "NSW supporters are so mean!"

Standout players for me were Pearce, Hoppa and Gallen. Mini put on a great performance as well. Uate looked dangerous whenever he had the ball, he played with so much enthusiasm, I love watching him play. So many players put in a gutsy effort that I feel bad singling some out. What I was so impressed by was watching them play well as a team. I was mighty proud.

I left my camera in a different bag, so I could only grab shots with my phones camera, which clearly isn't very good. Anyway, this was my view of a near-filled stadium.

icVaXu.jpg

And my ordinary pre-game shot of the sea of blue I was a part of.

iEjAm.jpg

Now to book some tickets to watch game 3 at Event Cinemas Gold Class again.

GODDAMN I LOVE FOOTY!

Gazunta

Acting like NSW won the series would mean that people were extrapolating the worst case scenario from a limited pool of data and baseless conjecture in an attempt to stir up hysteria.

Top Bottom