• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Clipper said:
I got those previous cards prior to the eShop launch from a mate living in the US. It helps him out as he gets Best Buy reward points for buying them, and I just pay him for the purchase with Paypal. I guess I'm back to doing that now.
Hate to ask but do you know if he would be open to buying some cards for other people as I can't seem to find anywhere online to buy them from

hamchan

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/06/17/3246300.htm

Passwords for email accounts within eight universities, including the Australian National University, the University of New South Wales and the University of Queensland, were also leaked, along with the log-ins for two high schools in Queensland and Melbourne

I checked the list and my email isn't there thank god.

Clipper

Worthintendo said:
Hate to ask but do you know if he would be open to buying some cards for other people as I can't seem to find anywhere online to buy them from
I doubt it mate. Would you trust a stranger on the Internet? I've never met my guy in person, but we had chatted and established a friendly relationship long before I asked for this favour the first time.

If you have a rapport with any Americans on GAF or other forums, try a PM and you'll hopefully find someone. Perhaps the Steam gifting thread might also find someone to help you. In any case, the cards will surely start appearing online soon too, although most places charge an annoying premium.

hamchan said:

If I'm reading correctly, the list is only a sample of the ones they stole. I'm now glad I have a different UNSW password to the one that I use elsewhere (which I had to go and change everywhere due to the Sony breach, heh).

jambo

Clipper said:
I doubt it mate. Would you trust a stranger on the Internet? I've never met my guy in person, but we had chatted and established a friendly relationship long before I asked for this favour the first time.

Uhh... couldn't you just get more cards and then give the codes to Worthintendo?

=\

Clipper

jambo said:
Uhh... couldn't you just get more cards and then give the codes to Worthintendo?

=\
I can't think of a nice way to say this, but I don't trust Worth enough. Plus, it would be a little bit abusive to my US friend to ask him to go get some extra codes for me so I can give them to other people that he doesn't know...

hamchan said:

I also wanted to add on this piece that the ABC story has some flaws. I checked the list and there's a single UQ and a single UNSW account on there. I'd say they hacked some other site which the individuals in question used their Uni e-mails as a username to sign up for. The Unis themselves don't seem to have been hacked.

I filtered the list, there are 62,155 accounts in that list. 11 email addresses end in .edu.au and 469 in .edu or .edu.au.

Nice to see the media blowing things out of proportion, as usual.

jambo

Clipper said:
I can't think of a nice way to say this, but I don't trust Worth enough. Plus, it would be a little bit abusive to my US friend to ask him to go get some extra codes for me so I can give them to other people that he doesn't know...

wRBpg.jpg

Clipper said:
I can't think of a nice way to say this, but I don't trust Worth enough. Plus, it would be a little bit abusive to my US friend to ask him to go get some extra codes for me so I can give them to other people that he doesn't know.
Oh well, anyone know of anyone I could look at asking? If you need someone to vouch for me I'm sure Vook will hes known me long enough.

kase23

There's always priceusa if you don't mind paying the 5% markup.
I just checked my CC statement and it turns out nintendo still billed me for those attempts at adding funds on the eShop, you guys should check too, not sure if I should call nintendo first or just get a charge back going

markot

Banned
Play asia sells codes for us wii points, guess they will start selling 3ds compatible ones soon >.>

And you get the code sent in an email so no waiting.

kase23 said:
there's always priceusa if you don't mind paying the 5% markup
I just checked my CC statement and it turns out nintendo still billed me for those attempts at adding funds on the eShop, you guys should check too, not sure if I should call nintendo first or just get a charge back going
Yeah thats what I'm thinking, I've gone through them a few times and they are really good. Problem is I can't seem to find anywhere online that sells these things.

And yeah I noticed that to, I tried 6 times this morning to get 10 bucks added and my account is showing available balance as 60 bucks less, so not sure whats going to happen with that.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
can anyone suggest a good place to buy good value electronics? either an online store that ships internationally, an aussie site, or a little known local place around brisbane?

want to get a home theatre system. newegg has good stuff for good prices, but don't ship internationally. the same system at JB HIFI is double the price!

suggestions please :)

Deeku

Clipper said:
It's understandable to be cautious, but most of ausgaf seem like decent human beings. One or two codes couldn't hurt.

Shaneus

Child of Eden is mine! Never has 1/3 of our thread title been so true, but it means I have something to play for the weekend. Even the girl at JB was impressed... "Looks like something you should drop acid to play".

So, anyone got any acid? ^_^

Clipper

Worthintendo said:
Yeah thats what I'm thinking, I've gone through them a few times and they are really good. Problem is I can't seem to find anywhere online that sells these things.

And yeah I noticed that to, I tried 6 times this morning to get 10 bucks added and my account is showing available balance as 60 bucks less, so not sure whats going to happen with that.
It's probably just a hold on the funds in your account. There are two stages to most online transactions. First they do a query to see if you have funds and put a hold on your account. Next they send through the request to actually make the transfer. The hold will reduce your available funds, but it won't appear as an actual charge and will disappear after a while if done properly.

If they do turn into charges on your statement, though, then contact your bank immediately to get it charged back.

Choc said:
are nintendo lame like sony and force latest FW to access the store?
Yes, they do that, but no it doesn't seem lame to me. Trying to make a store that supports multiple firmwares sounds like a recipe for disaster and is open to exploitation.

commanderdeek said:
It's understandable to be cautious, but most of ausgaf seem like decent human beings. One or two codes couldn't hurt.
Yeah, but you have to draw a line somewhere. If it only involved me, I might consider it. However, it also means asking my friend to physically drop into a Best Buy and get some more codes. I just don't feel comfortable doing that in this case. I feel guilty enough asking him to do that for me already!

Clipper said:
Looks like you need an ABN to get a .com.au domain, but .id.au is open to anyone. I can't recommend registrars, though. Never used one. This seems to be the list of accredited ones, though.
Thanks for all of the responses. Got a .com.au domain all sorted and up and running :)

Very sad to learn that www.duncanmackenzie.net is broken (and seems to have been since the start of the year). I was using the unofficial XBL API on the site to pull my XBL gaming information to create a whole mess of stats (most played game, the longest period without gaming, day I got the most achievements, and way more).

It was like the bf2s.com of XBL stats.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Shaneus said:
Even the girl at JB was impressed... "Looks like something you should drop acid to play".

that was your que to subtly hint that you're interested in buying some. she probably could've hooked you up :p

Deeku

Clipper said:
Yeah, but you have to draw a line somewhere. If it only involved me, I might consider it. However, it also means asking my friend to physically drop into a Best Buy and get some more codes. I just don't feel comfortable doing that in this case. I feel guilty enough asking him to do that for me already!
Fair enough:)

So, anyone else waiting on amazon to ship their OoT 3ds? We should probably get it late next week. Excite!

kase23

commanderdeek said:

So, anyone else waiting on amazon to ship their OoT 3ds? We should probably get it late next week. Excite!

yup! was pleasantly surprised too when I found out i had left over credit to use it on from the initial 3DS purchase =D

MrSerrels

Shaneus said:
Child of Eden is mine! Never has 1/3 of our thread title been so true, but it means I have something to play for the weekend. Even the girl at JB was impressed... "Looks like something you should drop acid to play".

I'd be too scared to play that game on Acid. Seriously.

Clipper

commanderdeek said:

I would be, but I got freaked out and cancelled my order. My friend was already picking up the game himself on launch day, and he agreed to pre-order a second one for me. I want that soundtrack CD and I'm scared that receiving it on Thursday/Friday would be too late :p. I'll get the game sometime the week after next, but the code will be mine on Monday (Sunday in the states).

Choc

Banned
Shaneus said:

lol

true though

Choc

Banned
i am disappoint i haev been unable to find somewhere that can get me OOT by tuesday night (wed i go to nz)

and if i get stuck in nz ash cloud without OOT i will *shakes fist @ cloud*

Clipper

Choc said:
i am disappoint i haev been unable to find somewhere that can get me OOT by tuesday night (wed i go to nz)

and if i get stuck in nz ash cloud without OOT i will *shakes fist @ cloud*
Perhaps send it to NZ?

Spent the day listening to Chevelle and bitching about our managers with everyone except the managers at work. Leftover Chili Con Carne for lunch. RPS put together a great write up on Tim "Biggest Douche in the Universe" Langdell today. Overall great day.

Sutton Dagger said:
Any news on the Zelda soundtrack being available if you buy the Aus Oot? I'm debating whether I should buy it from ozgameshop or buy it locally. Also, what about the Zelda orchestra Ninty mentioned at E3, we will get one won't we?
Q) Do you live in Australia? Yes/No
A) You are a dirty convict. No swag for you. Be happy we are even letting you buy the game.

Jintor said:
My friend told me that alice kinda sucks.
Your friend is obviously not a glass half full kinda guy. It is kinda great. Probably needed a stronger creative producer to make the most of the ideas. Can look fantastic at times on PC, worth the $45 OzGameShop are asking for.

Shaneus said:
Sold. Any idea if any are regiftable? I already own Machinarium.

I'm slowly working through a fair few indie games on my new notbook and that package looks pretty sweet. Everyone needs to get Osmos, btw.
It will say in the cart if they are giftable as long as you already own a copy. They usually aren't though. Also Osmos has been on super special loads of times, it is bound to come back around as a $2 daily deal or in an indie pack some time soon. Everyone should indeed give it a shot, especially since it has a FREE DEMO.

Also noticed that you can buy the Frozen Synapse soundtrack on Steam. I say they should fuck off the overpriced Brady games guides and serve up Soundtracks for every game. Much more likely to buy a soundtrack.

jambo said:
EDIT: Holy shit F3AR is going to have co-op =o Day 1
Yes you are correct. Fear 3 is indeed being developed by Day 1 Studios. Previously known for the pretty great MechAssault games. Unfortunately their last game was Fracture whose only positive feature for me was that I could buy 3 of them for $15 at Harvey Norman to trade for Uncharted 2 at JB. Expectations for Fear 3, especially after reading the previews, are low for me.

Shaneus said:

Dude. She wanted to go to your place, get messed up on acid and have a freaky, drug-addled sexual experience.
Or maybe she can't be bothered shelling out for a Kinect but still wants to play the game.

Choc said:
2 questions
why does apple give a fuck peopel are recording concerts
i don't exactly see music execs coming out saying FUCK YOU ALL FOR RECORDING CONCERTS
Probably do live streamed concerts like MySpace have tried to do. Would be able to charge an arm and a leg. Also publishers HATE fan recorded audio or video. It means music that could be charged for is available for free. That f word makes them shiver.
I like people who record at concerts. Allows me to look it up on youtube on a whim and enjoy some awesome music. They are no more annoying than people who shout out the lyrics. Come the fuck on. I paid to hear THE BAND sing, not some greasy fuckhead standing next to me who sounds like a ferret in heat. If it is a singalong moment fine. Just don't ruin songs like Hurt for the people who actually want the songwriter to be able to pour their heart out.

Deeku

kase23 said:
yup! was pleasantly surprised too when I found out i had left over credit to use it on from the initial 3DS purchase =D
I had credit as well, but I could only use it on launch games so I got SF4.
Clipper said:
I would be, but I got freaked out and cancelled my order. My friend was already picking up the game himself on launch day, and he agreed to pre-order a second one for me. I want that soundtrack CD and I'm scared that receiving it on Thursday/Friday would be too late :p. I'll get the game sometime the week after next, but the code will be mine on Monday (Sunday in the states).
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Welp, looks like I'll be missing out:(

Shaneus

FWIW, I've never tried acid... let alone while playing a tripped-out Mizuguchi game.
Have plenty of it at home, though... what's stopping me?!?

jambo

Shaneus, hook me up bro.

reptilescorpio said:
Yes you are correct. Fear 3 is indeed being developed by Day 1 Studios. Previously known for the pretty great MechAssault games. Unfortunately their last game was Fracture whose only positive feature for me was that I could buy 3 of them for $15 at Harvey Norman to trade for Uncharted 2 at JB. Expectations for Fear 3, especially after reading the previews, are low for me.

Haha totally didn't realise Day 1 Studios was making it, I just assumed that Monolith would make it. Still, some of the MP modes sound fantastic, I shall stay cautiously optimistic.

Shaneus said:
FWIW, I've never tried acid... let alone while playing a tripped-out Mizuguchi game.
Well run back to JB and pick her up man! Also the chicks who work at JB are hot! Love the red tips.

jambo said:
Haha totally didn't realise Day 1 Studios was making it, I just assumed that Monolith would make it. Still, some of the MP modes sound fantastic, I shall stay cautiously optimistic.
Ha, they are working on the downloadable MP game Gotham City Impostors. Which was unexpected for a studio of their size.

Also acid is super cheap and super easy to find, at least down this way.

Clipper

commanderdeek said:
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Welp, looks like I'll be missing out:(
To be honest, I think it will last at least until June 30 like the European deal does. You should receive it just fine, but make sure you register it on US Club Nintendo ASAP once you receive it. I do hope that's the case, but I'm hedging my bets by ensuring I enter the code on day 1 too.

Note that you will also need a US address registered on Club Nintendo to receive the CD in this manner. If you don't have friends over there, Shipito or HopShopGo addresses should work.

Clipper

Scrow said:
This is really interesting... you guys should read it.
Overseas shopping for big stuff like that is hard. Shipping costs will be huge however you go. Perhaps get a quote on the weight and size and then check with the shipping companies like Shipitto and HopShopGo to see how much it will cost, then compare with local prices.

For local prices, I've found shopbot.com.au to be pretty handy, provided you already know what you want.

Fredescu

I don't think such a thing exists Scrow. Ebay is probably the best you're going to do. I tried to find a similar thing a little while back, but parallel importing of electronics doesn't seem to be a thing.

edit: Clipper wins this round.

jambo

Super Mario Land on the 3DS Virtual Console is so awesome, loving it. Just got to get on to Links Awakening and Donkey Kong VC.

EDIT: Also need Ninty to release Super Mario Land 2, Wario Land and Wario Land 2 on VC for 3DS!

MrSerrels

reptilescorpio said:
Well run back to JB and pick her up man! Also the chicks who work at JB are hot! Love the red tips.

This is very true. And they're hot in that 'I'm an alternative girl with my own mind and my own unique beliefs, I only work here so I can fund my band/art/novel writing endeavours' kinda way.

DO WANT.

[Even though I'm married]

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Clipper said:
Overseas shopping for big stuff like that is hard. Shipping costs will be huge however you go. Perhaps get a quote on the weight and size and then check with the shipping companies like Shipitto and HopShopGo to see how much it will cost, then compare with local prices.

For local prices, I've found shopbot.com.au to be pretty handy, provided you already know what you want.
thanks. will give me something to research and think about.

i stumbled upon http://myus2.myus.com/ but their prices don't seem very competitive to the shipping places you mentioned.

Shaneus said:
mail me some? :)

MrSerrels said:
This is very true. And they're hot in that 'I'm an alternative girl with my own mind and my own unique beliefs, I only work here so I can fund my band/art/novel writing endeavours' kinda way. DO WANT. [Even though I'm married]
Indeed, just very smart hiring practises. We actually did a case study on it as part of one of my marketing units. Even my gf finds them very attractive to look at (at least the ones in Geelong).

Top Bottom