• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

histopher

So how should I go about buying a 3DS? I see a lot of people here with US models and I'm wondering why?

I have the cash and been wanting to get one of these for a while. I also want to get SFIV for it, but I am not buying that full price because I've bought that game so many times already.

histopher said:
So how should I go about buying a 3DS? I see a lot of people here with US models and I'm wondering why?

I have the cash and been wanting to get one of these for a while. I also want to get SFIV for it, but I am not buying that full price because I've bought that game so many times already.
I'd still go with US, the system itself is cheaper, less chance on missing out on games due to not being released in Australia. Plus once Pre Paid 3ds cards come out the eShop dramas should be over.

On the topic of the eShop a work around has been found, just change your region to Brazil and it'll let you buy games.

histopher said:
Thanks Worthintendo. So will that mean I will have to buy all US games though?
Yep, which isn't that hard if you shop online alot. I go through Play Asia and I find once the game has shipped I usually have it within 3 days if I pay for top shipping and it pretty much comes out at the same price as buying a game instore would.

Gazunta

Shaneus you'll find that there's a couple of guys with similar avatars to mine.

Back in the good old days there was a magazine called Zzap! 64. It was and still is the best video game magazine ever to have been made ever in the history of anything. Each game was reviewed by multiple people, and next to their review blurb was a little cartoon sketch of the reviewer with their initials on their shirt.

Many years later, I had the incredible opportunity to produce and write in the final issue of Zzap! 64, and my avatar you see now was from that. A lot of awesome talented people worked on it, including Paul who you saw on Twitter. The art director of that issue Craig Grannel is now at Retro Gamer magazine, and all the reviewers in that have the same style cartoon avatars.

And even with a string of successful games to my name, I still rate being a part of Zzap! 64 as the highlight of my career. :)

WHICH SEGUES ME NICELY INTO:

I am writing next week's batch of comics. Once again the theme is "old video games". I am taking your suggestions...NOW!

mandiller

evlcookie said:
Rip my videocard, you served me well for 2.5 years.

Now what so I do ? Lol

Mine died this week too. There must be some graphics card disease going around.

I just picked up a GTX570 for $355 from Umart and I'm very happy with it. I've got to upgrade the rest of my PC now though, my core2duo isn't cutting it anymore.

ATF487

HolyCheck said:
i'm so fucking boss at living alone. I just poured half a packet of cereal into my carton of milk, now i have cereal milk.

34ordpt.png

Shaneus

Pikelet said:
Oh, thanks for that. Bought!

I played the original ages ago, are the expansions considered good?
I bought the original ages ago too... I still haven't played it :(

PS. Thanks for the tale, Gaz!

Fredescu

Pikelet said:
I played the original ages ago, are the expansions considered good?
They're just "micro expansions" so they add a bunch of mechanics, but not much more. I haven't actually tried them! I kinda wish I had the time. I get Civ levels of addictiveness when I play Sins.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Two things:

Is anyone here playing Alice? I keeping hearing that it's excellent. The Giant Bomb QL looked really good.

Would anyone here recommend Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time to someone who only just played QFT in the free welcome back pack and mildly enjoyed it?

Rez said:
Two things:

Is anyone here playing Alice? I keeping hearing that it's excellent. The Giant Bomb QL looked really good.

Would anyone here recommend Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time to someone who only just played QFT in the free welcome back pack and mildly enjoyed it?
Got Alice from OGS for $45. Great game. Highly recommend if you liked what you say in the QL.

Crack In Time is fantastic, shits all over Quest For Booty. It is my favourite out of the 2 Future games and if you own a PS3 and love the series it is a must have. Super cheap too.

kase23

Worthintendo said:
On the topic of the eShop a work around has been found, just change your region to Brazil and it'll let you buy games.
ah nice, how'd you come across that?
I finally cracked under pressure and downloaded the leaked deus ex 3 preview build last night, played alittle over an hour and im very impressed so far, even the hacking mini game that I initially thought was stupid compared to the original Icebreaker/timer mechanic was handled very intelligently, think im going to splurge all out on this one and get the collectors edition with the kick ass Jensen figure.

markot

Banned
Think they'll bother releasing a demo for the game after the leak >.>?

Might end up trying it just to see if its worth it.

Only really thinking about it cause I have no real interest in the game >.< mainly due to Deus Ex 2... also Eidos said it was ok!

kase23

I honestly don't think they will since IMO you'd need to include a large chunk of the game like the prologue , first hub and opening mission to have a satisfying demo that properly shows all its key aspects, but you never know, im digging all the little touches that act like throw backs to the original deus ex like the UI weapon and item slots, think im gonna play it for another hour then delete it off my HDD, its convinced me enough to wait for the real thing in august.

kase23 said:
I honestly don't think they will since IMO you'd need to include a large chunk of the game like the prologue , first hub and opening mission to have a satisfying demo that properly shows all its key aspects, but you never know, im digging all the little touches that act like throw backs to the original deus ex like the UI weapon and item slots, think im gonna play it for another hour then delete it off my HDD, its convinced me enough to wait for the real thing in august.
Same thing I did. Once I had spent some time in Detroit I decided to clear it and wait for the polished experience in August. Turned into a day one purchase for me. Very impressed.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rez said:
Two things:

I'm tempted to try alice as well, Maybe a sale or something. I have a mate who pirated it then turned around and said, Holy shit this game is awesome if it was on steam i would buy it. So i guess it's good?

Quest for booty wasn't actually that good, I didn't enjoy it all that much for some reason. Half way through i just wanted to quit and by the end I was done with it all. However, A crack in time was excellent, Made me enjoy the ratchet and clank style of play and characters once again.

markot

Banned
Hmm...

Still on the fence about the game... lots of little things are annoying me >.< Hopefully Eidos fixes em before launch...

Rahk

evlcookie said:
I'm tempted to try alice as well, Maybe a sale or something. I have a mate who pirated it then turned around and said, Holy shit this game is awesome if it was on steam i would buy it. So i guess it's good?
It is now on Steam!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rahk said:
It is now on Steam!

Yea. He mentioned that DRM seems to be causing some performance issues with it, I'm guessing it's a little similar to the Witcher 2 drm issues. I can't see anything listed on steam regarding DRM though.

HolyCheck said:
i'm so fucking boss at living alone. I just poured half a packet of cereal into my carton of milk, now i have cereal milk.

but in ten minutes its going to be soggy, and then you'll just have sludge :(

Shaneus said:
AusGAF is really getting quiet on the weekends. Have all of you found some semblance of a life or some shit?
Just beating the shit out of my backlog. Currently trying to finish off Crackdown 2 to get it permanently off the to-do-list. Some of those Protect-the-Sunburst-Generator sections are pretty cheap. Of well, a couple more hours and it'll be gone.

What to play next is the big question...

Gazunta

No takers on the retro game comic suggestions? Fine, five comics about Wizball it is then.

I have no life. I am spending my Saturday night working. I still rate it better than spending $9 on a beer in a crowded room with people I have nothing in common with.

jambo

New Super Mario Bros Wii with 4 people is hilariously delicious mayhem. God damn amazing game in multiplayer, had so much fun tonight with my mates. It was the perfect combination of shouting, laughter and rage :lol

Jintor

Went to Supernova. It was rad. Unfortunately I could only budget to spend $55 so that was significantly less rad. Goddamn I wanted to splurge on shit I didn't need.

Salazar

Shaneus said:
AusGAF is really getting quiet on the weekends. Have all of you found some semblance of a life or some shit?

Trying hard not to take the jank in ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead personally.

Fucking armoured convoy won't fucking move up over the hill.

This aggravation is taking up a lot of my time and mental strength.

Gazunta said:
I am writing next week's batch of comics. Once again the theme is "old video games". I am taking your suggestions...NOW!
If its not too late, something on Plok or James Pond would be amazingly awesome

Rahk

Gazunta said:
No takers on the retro game comic suggestions? Fine, five comics about Wizball it is then.

I have no life. I am spending my Saturday night working. I still rate it better than spending $9 on a beer in a crowded room with people I have nothing in common with.
Thing On A Spring?

Shaneus

Gazunta said:
Shit, I completely missed this bit. Any chance of something featuring Bub and/or Bob?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
For those who have ordered from Amazon, How much on average has the shipping been?

I'm tempted to try and pick up an intel SSD from there (if possible) since it's around $100 cheaper before shipping. If shipping is only going to be $10 or more then it might actually be worth it.

kase23

Its dependent on the item, the most expensive shipping ive paid for an item on amazon USA was $44AUD for a copy of warhammer online a few years back, still turned out alot cheaper then getting it local on release :p that was for priority international courier though, for cheapest ive paid is around $12AUD so you might you get lucky

Gazunta said:

oh, just off the top of my head-

Elite
Paradroid
Laser Squad Nemesis
Street Fighter II
Tempest 2000

Sorry, I know they're old and obscure and you've probably never heard of them, but if you google, you should be able to find some reference material for them. maybe.

Played a LOT of inFamous over the last 2 days. Good job Sony, you have now sold me on the sequel. Silver lining as it would be. I remember playing the demo and deciding to grab Prototype over it, wish I had of just got both.

ClivePwned said:
oh, just off the top of my head-

Elite
Paradroid
Laser Squad Nemesis
Street Fighter II
Tempest 2000

Sorry, I know they're old and obscure and you've probably never heard of them, but if you google, you should be able to find some reference material for them. maybe.
Gaz would know those games like the back of his hand, they would be like Halo mainstream for him.

Jintor said:
I saw, like, 3 Ezios walking through the crowd in blend mode yesterday
A video game convention seems like the least likely place Ezio would be able to hide. Too many Halos and Call of Duties.

flake said:
So close to crumbling and buying a 3ds with OoT...although I really want to wait for the red 3ds colour
Just boot up OoT on your 64! Or Gamecube! Or PC emulator!

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Played a LOT of inFamous over the last 2 days. Good job Sony, you have now sold me on the sequel. Silver lining as it would be. I remember playing the demo and deciding to grab Prototype over it, wish I had of just got both.
Pretty sure that was the reasoning behind a few of the freebies they made available. Infamous? Infamous 2. Wipeout HD? Wipeout 2048. PSN+? Free games only for that month.

Salazar

Grabbed Zeno Clash and Assassin's Creed II.

Listening to those Best of 1UpYours podcasts. Pretty entertaining. Not as enjoyable as Idle Thumbs, but it is amusing to hear Garnett reject outright the suggestion that the 360 hardware is faulty.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jambo said:
Zeno Clash is a pretty awesome game.
I don't think I've ever played anything quite as unique, if nothing else.

Top Bottom