• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Worthintendo said:
I'll raise you on the frustrating stakes for Find Mii, Stuck on a level with a Ghost with a Light Blue Shield and for the life of me I can' seem to hire a hero with a Light blue shirt to be able to take it out. And of course given that all but 3 of my Tags are from Males, they are all wearing the same normal Blue Shirt. Would it kill people to have their Mii in a colour other than Blue.
Mine's red. If you get a hero with a purple shirt, push them to the front of the line and have them cast their spell (poison). That way, you'll get at least one damage per turn for the rest of your turns.

Fredescu

commanderdeek said:
Also just had the shittest phone interview. The woman kept stopping me mid sentence because her typing couldn't catch up.
This reminds me of the time I had to give a statement to police. The policewoman had such a frustratingly slow hunt and peck typing method, and if we needed to correct something a sentence or two back she would traverse to the position using backspace, requiring us to retype everything again. I don't remember if that was a limitation with the software or the operator, but it was pretty annoying.

Stackboy said:
starts with Portal 2!!
So good.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Mine's red. If you get a hero with a purple shirt, push them to the front of the line and have them cast their spell (poison). That way, you'll get at least one damage per turn for the rest of your turns.
Thats pretty much what I've been doing, its just taking for ages to get through this one ghost, my luck I'll have the damn thing down to 1 health after just using whatever magic I have and then I'll get a Light Blue shirt character.

Its times like this I wish I lived in a real city and not a backwater hick town like Perth

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Are people really excited for Hulu? Is it honestly going to change the majority of ausgaffers media habits and even anyone in the country?

Aren't most just going to stick with "other" means?

I'm sure the biggest counter to it all will be showing some love to the shows you enjoy, Letting the media companies know what's actually good quality TV, Since we can't get it on FTA.

Fredescu

evlcookie said:
Are people really excited for Hulu? Is it honestly going to change the majority of ausgaffers media habits and even anyone in the country?

If watching a series is as easy as Youtube, why would I bother with other means? It's so annoying that the major networks online streaming "catchup" involves one or two episodes at most.

Bernbaum

evlcookie said:

I'm sure the biggest counter to it all will be showing some love to the shows you enjoy, Letting the media companies know what's actually good quality TV, Since we can't get it on FTA.
I'd relied on 'other' means for years and have only just dipped my toes into the water of paying for TV shows on iTunes, having picked up Chris Lilley's first two shows - We Can Be Heroes and Summer Heights High. I'm fine with it, and I practised the habit of buying shows on DVD/Blu Ray after watching them as they aired on Channel BT or Channel 'Other' simply on principle.

Hulu will be great for moments when, for example, I want to watch the episode of Seinfeld where they open up a Muffin-top shop.

As I've expressed here previously, watching serialised TV shows at a set time during the week simply isn't my amenable to my lifestyle any more - I demand accessibility and flexibility.

I don't watch a great deal much any more but TV on demand is the way to the future and I look forward to seeing how well services like Hulu cater to people like me.

TV-iPad streaming would be ideal.

Clipper

Talking about Find Mii, I'm currently stuck on the second last room, which
requires a white shirt to light it up
. I've hired a hell of a lot of dogs so far just to get up to it. About twelve have been wasted on the room. I wish I knew someone with a 3DS so I could just get them to wear the right colour shirt for me.

Hey... I'll be in Brissy over part of the weekend. Anyone want to do a BrisGAF 3DS-2 meetup? :p

Just checked my list... 99 heroes met to clear 11 rooms. Only 7 of those were Miis (and only one wa duplicate)... Damn. I wasted a lot of dogs in the first couple of rooms figuring out how magic works, though.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fredescu said:
If watching a series is as easy as Youtube, why would I bother with other means? It's so annoying that the major networks online streaming "catchup" involves one or two episodes at most.

I think that's fine but there is a price to pay unlike youtube which is free. Depending on how much it's going to cost of course, That might see people lack interest in it.

Bernbaum said:
I'd relied on 'other' means for years and have only just dipped my toes into the water of paying for TV shows on iTunes, having picked up Chris Lilley's first two shows - We Can Be Heroes and Summer Heights High. I'm fine with it, and I practised the habit of buying shows on DVD/Blu Ray after watching them as they aired on Channel BT or Channel 'Other' simply on principle.

Hulu will be great for moments when, for example, I want to watch the episode of Seinfeld where they open up a Muffin-top shop.

As I've expressed here previously, watching serialised TV shows at a set time during the week simply isn't my amenable to my lifestyle any more - I demand accessibility and flexibility.

I don't watch a great deal much any more but TV on demand is the way to the future and I look forward to seeing how well services like Hulu cater to people like me.

TV-iPad streaming would be ideal.

That's perfectly fine. Of course there are automated 'other' means these days that make everything else look kinda lame. You also get to keep you files for later viewing, saving you the bandwidth and speed to stream the episode if you feel the need to view it again. And of course the 'other' means tend to be a better quality than that over Hulu and even at times iTunes and you can do what the heck you want with them.

I'm not against Hulu at all, Just curious to see if anyone here would honestly pay for it and use it in here.

Bernbaum

evlcookie said:
I think that's fine but there is a price to pay unlike youtube which is free. Depending on how much it's going to cost of course, That might see people lack interest in it.

That's perfectly fine. Of course there are automated 'other' means these days that make everything else look kinda lame. You also get to keep you files for later viewing, saving you the bandwidth and speed to stream the episode if you feel the need to view it again. And of course the 'other' means tend to be a better quality than that over Hulu and even at times iTunes and you can do what the heck you want with them.

I'm not against Hulu at all, Just curious to see if anyone here would honestly pay for it and use it in here.
I'm not sure how much the format will be altered locally, but isn't Hulu basically free to watch but with ads?

From Podcasts like the Bombcast and Weekend Confirmed (which I no longer listen to), it sounds like Netflix/Hulu and other like services have a become a pervasive presence across the US and the technology is robust enough to ensure universal access.

I'd be surprised if what we recieve is as advanced as the US service, but given the high number of people of pirate TV shows/movies without batting an eyelid (I work with people who make $300k/yr and still pirate) and the fact that it's almost culturally acceptable to do so then it's gonna be interesting to see how quickly people take it up.

I think the reason Aussies pirate so ubiquitously is because of the delays in local distribution so if Hulu can keep up with US broadcast timetables than they should do okay.

Clipper said:
Talking about Find Mii, I'm currently stuck on the second last room, which
requires a white shirt to light it up
. I've hired a hell of a lot of dogs so far just to get up to it. About twelve have been wasted on the room. I wish I knew someone with a 3DS so I could just get them to wear the right colour shirt for me.

Hey... I'll be in Brissy over part of the weekend. Anyone want to do a BrisGAF 3DS-2 meetup? :p

Just checked my list... 99 heroes met to clear 11 rooms. Only 7 of those were Miis (and only one wa duplicate)... Damn. I wasted a lot of dogs in the first couple of rooms figuring out how magic works, though.
They're dogs in yours? Mine are kitties. Kitties that can summon bunnies.

Clipper

viciouskillersquirrel said:
They're dogs in yours? Mine are kitties. Kitties that can summon bunnies.
If you go into the settings, you can choose if you prefer dogs or cats. Dogs still summon bunnies, though.

Madrical

Banned
Oh wow. After 13 months of lurking non-stop my account has finally been activated. My first post!

Anywho, has anyone heard anything about the AFL Live 2011 game? I heard it was released today. I assume it's terrible but I'll pick it up anyway, along with my first ever PSP for my trip to Melbourne.

Choc

Banned
madrical its actually quite good, not EA Sports good, but quite good given how small the market for the game is in a worldwide context

its better than the NRL game by a long long way

Madrical said:
Oh wow. After 13 months of lurking non-stop my account has finally been activated. My first post!

Welcome!

Just say you like PC games and handhelds and you'll be fine :)

Also which state you representing?

Madrical

Banned
Well that's a pleasant surprise, I haven't actually played any Big Ant Studios games that I know of.. I was just under the assumption it wouldn't be any good going by previous AFL games. The last one I played (bar 10 minutes on my mates PSP) was on PSOne and it was horrid.

It's quite nice being able to actually post instead of just constant lurking. :)

EDIT:

DualShadow said:
Welcome!

Also which state you representing?

Thanks, dude. I'm most definitely a PC gamer, not exclusively though as I own a PS3, 360, DS and soon a PSP.

I'll be repping the backwards state of WA.

Fredescu

DualShadow said:
He's a Steam chatter, so he's already fine!

I wonder if PCPP Dan has his account yet. I think he was the last of the occaisional Steam chatters with a pending AusGAF account.

Clipper

I just totaled my 3DS Play Coin usage from the 22 days I have owned the system so far:

Play Coins Earned: 220 (Let's see how long it is until I forget a day)

Puzzle Swap: 2 coins (only bought one puzzle piece so far and only have 9 total)
AR Games: 14 coins (everything you can buy is bought)
Lego Star Wars III: 20 coins (and I need another 30 coins to 100% it)
Find Mii: 184 coins (92 bloody dogs/cats and I'm still not done with the first pass)

Shaneus

Gazunta said:
Officially launching a new side business, how about you?
Ooh, congrats! Not much, just family stuff, a few drinks and a music festival.

I was hoping to fire up some discussion about the sort of shenanigans people get up to on long weekend, but it seems to have died in the arse :/

Madrical

Banned
Shaneus said:
Ooh, congrats! Not much, just family stuff, a few drinks and a music festival.

I was hoping to fire up some discussion about the sort of shenanigans people get up to on long weekend, but it seems to have died in the arse :/

I'll help. Flying to Melbourne on Friday to watch the ANZAC game on Monday & see family. Eh, that was less than helpful since it was kinda pointless and uninteresting. Oh well, 5 day weekend; can't argue with that. Well, 6 as I've booked Wednesday off.

Omikron

Choc said:
madrical its actually quite good, not EA Sports good, but quite good given how small the market for the game is in a worldwide context

its better than the NRL game by a long long way

Hehe.

Salazar

Absolute shocker of a day. Spent way too much time on public transport. Had to buy a large stack of books to cheer myself up.

I am a convert to Go-Cards, though.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I was reading about that Fred, I think I would bore myself if I tried to get a visual representation of where I go.

Omikron

Choc said:
finally... ;)

Robbie Slater reckons West Ham will avoid relegation

I have a book I have written in when I was a kid, Robbie Slater features greatly.

choodi said:
Robbie Slater is a wanker though and his predictions never come true.

So long West Ham!

Fuck you and the horse you rode in on.

choodi

Banned
Omi said:
Fuck you and the horse you rode in on.

Ill be sad to see West Ham go down. I like their fans and the fact they aren't a fashionable club, unlike Chelsea with their fly-by-night fans. West Ham fans are the only ones who Newcastle United fans like me can actually feel sorry for too. ;)

But the truth remains, Robbie Slater is a wanker and West Ham are going down.

Rahk

Even when Hulu comes out here I'm guessing you'll only be able to stream shows they air on TV here and only when they air them.

Rahk said:
Even when Hulu comes out here I'm guessing you'll only be able to stream shows they air on TV here and only when they air them.
Yep. No matter what happens I'm sure the networks will find some way to make it worse than the original Hulu.

Omikron

choodi said:
Ill be sad to see West Ham go down. I like their fans and the fact they aren't a fashionable club, unlike Chelsea with their fly-by-night fans. West Ham fans are the only ones who Newcastle United fans like me can actually feel sorry for too. ;)

But the truth remains, Robbie Slater is a wanker and West Ham are going down.

As per usual west ham, they gave me hope 2 games ago they might be ok, only to be crushed against ManYoo (2nd half) then, backed up by Bolton (typical!) and Villa.

I tend to agree with you despite my desires for it not to be.

choodi

Banned
Omi said:
As per usual west ham, they gave me hope 2 games ago they might be ok, only to be crushed against ManYoo (2nd half) then, backed up by Bolton (typical!) and Villa.

I tend to agree with you despite my desires for it not to be.

Newcastle did the same to me when we got relegated. Got my hopes up with a win against Middlesboro late in the run in, then we capitulated badly.

I hope you guys survive and sunderland go down though!

Nemesis_

Have there been any reports of people getting MK through yet? >_> Not that I'm condoning such a thing, just wondering, of course.

Nemesis556 said:
Have there been any reports of people getting MK through yet? >_> Not that I'm condoning such a thing, just wondering, of course.

On that note I don't understand all the interest for MK. Is it just because it was banned? Has there been a resurgence in fighting game popularity? Is the promise of a traditional MK game hitting everyone's nostalgia cues?

Yagharek

choodi said:
Newcastle did the same to me when we got relegated. Got my hopes up with a win against Middlesboro late in the run in, then we capitulated badly.

I hope you guys survive and sunderland go down though!

As another NUFC fan, it will be sad to see West Ham go down. But I also would love to see WBA and Blackpool also stay up this year. Teams like West Ham and Newcastle should be fine if/when they get relegated as in they are proud clubs and will hopefully bounce straight back up.

Of course there is always the danger one could do a Leeds ...

Deeku

Choc said:
ok First booked

fuck :|

never thought i'd fly first
Aside from the room and extra privacy, it's really no different to business.
I've only been once due to some weird mix up and I was excited as shit. Enjoy it:)

Clipper

FreeFallin' said:
On that note I don't understand all the interest for MK. Is it just because it was banned? Has there been a resurgence in fighting game popularity? Is the promise of a traditional MK game hitting everyone's nostalgia cues?
I'm getting it as I've enjoyed the previous games, but the real reason why it's getting so much interest is that it is actually a pretty good game. There's absolutely tons of content, a very meaty story mode, they aren't gouging with any DLC content like alternate costumes (yet) and it actually seems pretty competitive from early reports of people playing.

evlcookie said:
To me personally, I think they have given the Burnout series away since Burnout 4 (I forgot the title). That game was ass and so was Burnout Paradise.
Have you played Burnout Legends on PSP? It is basically a greatest hits of Burnout 2 and 3. Spent a good 12 months getting all the medals. Even better than the Ridge Racer games on PSP. Paradise was a good TDU type game. I really need the Crash mode back though, even if it is just a PSN title for $20.

Choc said:
apple posted a US 6 billion profit this quarter
How bout throwing the consumer a bone and price your products a bit lower? Or put in a few more features? At least someone is keeping the US economy afloat.

Choc said:
ok First booked
fuck :|
never thought i'd fly first
Too cool to hang out with the peasants down the back?

evlcookie said:
Are people really excited for Hulu? Is it honestly going to change the majority of ausgaffers media habits and even anyone in the country? Aren't most just going to stick with "other" means?
Depends on if the content is the same as from the "other means". If they are ad free and are available the same time as in the US then I may use it. At the same time I can watch any Simpsons or Seinfeld episode I want within seconds of thinking of it, as well as skip to my favourite part halfway through. Streaming to other devices would be dreamy though. Same kind of idea as the Gaikai model, offer content not otherwise available.

Gazunta said:
Officially launching a new side business, how about you?
You don't have to do it.

Madrical said:
Thanks, dude. I'm most definitely a PC gamer, not exclusively though as I own a PS3, 360, DS and soon a PSP.
Awesome! Another PC user who enjoys consoles as well! What PC games are you into? I hope you have The Witcher 2 pre-ordered.

Madrical said:
I'll be repping the backwards state of WA.
You should move to Victoria. All the cool people are here.

So Portal 2 takes around 7 hours? No? I hate it when this happens, I idle in games a lot as I have to grab a little dude trying to pull TV's and stuff down on himself so I never pay attention to the steam timer but has anyone else encountered this?

Also the nanosuit is only months away from completion!

Salazar

commanderdeek said:
Aside from the room and extra privacy, it's really no different to business.
I've only been once due to some weird mix up and I was excited as shit. Enjoy it:)

You get better hydrated as you go up classes, I find.

Top Bottom