• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Ydahs

Portal 2 is amazing. Completely blows the prequel out of the water. I can't remember the last time I played a game four hours straight but you just can't get away from it.

It's now my favourite game of the generation alongside SMG2. Can't wait to try out co-op!

Ydahs said:
Portal 2 is amazing. Completely blows the prequel out of the water. I can't remember the last time I played a game four hours straight but you just can't get away from it.

It's now my favourite game of the generation alongside SMG2. Can't wait to try out co-op!

Completely agree, but replace SMG2 with Mirror's Edge (haven't played SMG2 so can't comment on it). Excellent writing, pitch perfect voice acting, great music (both dynamic and not) Colour!, and some fun puzzles in a cool world. Could barely put down the single player for more than a half hour before I needed to get back into it. Looking forward to going through the co-op with a mate over the easter break. Promise of the SDK release is great news for longevity of the game. But if Valve puts out some short story-based puzzle packs I will be happy beyond compare.

Fredescu

Ydahs said:
the prequel
Not to be too nitpicky, but prequel specifically means a work that was created later, but describes earlier events. Star Wars Ep 1-3 for example. Portal 1 came out first, so it's not a prequel. The sequel to it is great!

Heard The Doctor on Triple J call Skrillex Pop Dubstep. I was greatly amused.
It isn't dubstep anyway people! He works more in the Electronic genre! Dubstep is more dark garage dub, focused on the the deep, mellow bass.

Shaneus

It *isn't* dubstep? News to me... I thought it was.

Seriously.

I've been looking for a song so I know what "dubstep" is and was lead to believe Skrillex was behind a few of them.

Shaneus said:
It *isn't* dubstep? News to me... I thought it was.

Seriously.

I've been looking for a song so I know what "dubstep" is and was lead to believe Skrillex was behind a few of them.
Burial, Kode9 and the Spaceape. Some of Ital Tek's early stuff is dubstep. Of course this is all IMO. Skrillex seems to be the artist everyone calls dubstep but he mainly does electronic, maybe even drum n bass moreso than dubstep.

I think of dubstep as having a similar feel to triphop, they just focus on different things.

Dubstep is the latest genre to have it's meaning diluted and broadened. As you've said, people call Skrillex dubstep. People also call James Blake dubstep lol

Shaneus

I just skimmed through a Black Sun by Kode9. If that's what dubstep is... definitely like it far more than what I used to think it was. That bandwagon stuff that Skrillex churns out has killed several DJ sets I've seen in the last few months and really fucking brings me down.

Kode9... I could really get into it, I reckon.

roosters93 said:
Dubstep is the latest genre to have it's meaning diluted and broadened. As you've said, people call Skrillex dubstep. People also call James Blake dubstep lol
Yeah he is more soul/ambient minimalist kind of thing. Fantastic album, his vocals are incredible.

Emo also had its genre taken away from it. Started out as emotional hardcore and before you know it, it is now pop punk. Oh well. We will always have Sunny Day Real Estate and Fugazi.

Shaneus said:
I just skimmed through a Black Sun by Kode9. If that's what dubstep is... definitely like it far more than what I used to think it was. That bandwagon stuff that Skrillex churns out has killed several DJ sets I've seen in the last few months and really fucking brings me down.

Kode9... I could really get into it, I reckon.
Kode9 and the Spaceape
Burial
Submerse
Skream
Benga
Joker
Caspa
FaltyDL

More a mix of genres:
Chase & Status (mainly d'n'b)
Rusko
Ital Tek (electronic/glitch)

Shaneus

Oh, Skrillex is actually playing at a festival I'm going to on Monday. Dollars to donuts that it's where all the G'd out fuckheads will be hanging out at that time. Meanwhile, I'll be leaving said festival as the last act I really wanna see finishes when Skrillex starts. After that, it's just him, Deadmau5 and a showground full of deadshits.

Bernbaum

reptilescorpio said:
We will always have Sunny Day Real Estate and Fugazi.
I think I love you.

Fugazi are a big chunk of my growing up. A huge chunk.

Met Ian Mackeye after he toured here with The Evens. Super swell dude and a punk idol of mine.

I like Burial yet have not heard of those other dub artists. Time for some discovery.

Shaneus said:
Oh, Skrillex is actually playing at a festival I'm going to on Monday. Dollars to donuts that it's where all the G'd out fuckheads will be hanging out at that time. Meanwhile, I'll be leaving said festival as the last act I really wanna see finishes when Skrillex starts. After that, it's just him, Deadmau5 and a showground full of deadshits.
Creamfields ey

edit: Burial has a new album coming out later this year I think. There's a couple of new songs floating around. Haven't had a chance to give them a listen yet though.

Bernbaum

I'm not really into the new Panda Bear album. It's a fine album and all, but I just find no reason to go back to it and haven't found a track that's sunk its hooks in.

^^ I still haven't listened to that either. Although I wasn't a fan of Person Pitch. (I should probably give it another listen). I don't mind a bit of Animal Collective though.

Shaneus said:
Deadmau5 is awesome (although a few people have also called him dubstep which makes no sense). His remix's make the original sound like shit, like his remix of I'm Not Alone by Calvin Harris. Sofi Needs A Ladder is in my top 10 for last year. He also put shit on half-arsed DJ's who don't do any of their own work. If I want to go to a club and hear something I could have done in Winamp at home I would stay at home, amp me up man! Surprise me a little! Mash it up if you have to!

Also here are some youtubes for ya.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNStVlJWy88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlEkvbRmfrA

and the best song for 2009. Pure fact. No arguing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdTbgx5ZXSk

Edit: Burial has a new EP. Sounds like good old Burial which is nice considering how much the label of "dubstep" has changed. People will probably start calling him post-dubstep or something. He also did a 12" with Thom Yorke and Four Tet which was interesting.
Also The Evens are damn enjoyable to listen to on a lazy sunday afternoon.

Ydahs

FreeFallin' said:
Completely agree, but replace SMG2 with Mirror's Edge (haven't played SMG2 so can't comment on it). Excellent writing, pitch perfect voice acting, great music (both dynamic and not) Colour!, and some fun puzzles in a cool world. Could barely put down the single player for more than a half hour before I needed to get back into it. Looking forward to going through the co-op with a mate over the easter break. Promise of the SDK release is great news for longevity of the game. But if Valve puts out some short story-based puzzle packs I will be happy beyond compare.
Oh man, the voice acting is amazing. Not a dull line throughout. Masterful script and masterful execution.
Fredescu said:
Not to be too nitpicky, but prequel specifically means a work that was created later, but describes earlier events. Star Wars Ep 1-3 for example. Portal 1 came out first, so it's not a prequel. The sequel to it is great!
Never knew that. Thanks for letting me know.

Aon

Did any of you guys find Glados kinda dull this time around? I thought her lines were really good in the first game, but in 2 I kinda felt she was pretty tame compared to Merchant and Cave Johnson.

legend166

Portal 2 is everything I wanted from a sequel to Portal 1.

I really liked the first, but ultimately I thought it was just a really neat puzzle game with a clever story. I didn't think it was deserving of the crazy praise it got.

Portal 2 though, really is one of the best games I've played this generation.

Nemesis_

FreeFallin' said:
On that note I don't understand all the interest for MK. Is it just because it was banned? Has there been a resurgence in fighting game popularity? Is the promise of a traditional MK game hitting everyone's nostalgia cues?

The latter two are very correct. I think you would know this.

But yeah, the game is brimming with quality content and it's just genuinely fun to play.

remz

Aon said:
Did any of you guys find Glados kinda dull this time around? I thought her lines were really good in the first game, but in 2 I kinda felt she was pretty tame compared to Merchant and Cave Johnson.
GladOS was great imo, but she's nothing compared to Cave.

Ydahs

My media ban was also a reason I reckon I found Portal 2 to be so great. Didn't know anything about the story or the added mechanics.

Only saw several screens from when it was announced and nothing since then.

Dead Man

reptilescorpio said:
Heard The Doctor on Triple J call Skrillex Pop Dubstep. I was greatly amused.
It isn't dubstep anyway people! He works more in the Electronic genre! Dubstep is more dark garage dub, focused on the the deep, mellow bass.
And that is why I do not bother trying to identify what genres of EDM I enjoy. Worse than metal genres, and they are pretty bad.

And if any of you bastards spoil ANY of Portal2, there will be repercussions.

Which will mainly be me, crying in a corner, eating chocolate.

Rezbit

Bernbaum said:
Chaser are doing their own coverage of the Royal Wedding.

YES.

You know, I have been swearing black and blue that I don't give a shit about this and have refused to watch such wankery...but the Chaser covering it puts a spanner in the works.

Dead Man said:
And that is why I do not bother trying to identify what genres of EDM I enjoy. Worse than metal genres, and they are pretty bad.

And if any of you bastards spoil ANY of Portal2, there will be repercussions.

Which will mainly be me, crying in a corner, eating chocolate.
It is also why most of my music is labelled Electronic and for 99% of guitar based stuff, Alternative. I'll label post-rock and very obvious stuff but Nine Inch Nails, Slipknot and Chevelle are all Alternative bands in my iTunes land.

Yeah Bern when I saw the Chaser ad I immediately knew I had to watch an otherwise uninteresting wedding. Will have to fight with the gf to have it be biting humour rather than royalist commentary though.

Shaneus said:
So, what's everyone's plans for the five-dayer?
Going to the in-laws for the weekend. They have their own little piggery as a low key side business. I drink her dad's whiskey as none of the other son-in-laws drink touch alcohol. About a year ago I gave him my copies of Portal and Crackdown which he took to with much delight and proclaimed that Portal was the best videogame since Solstice on the NES and hoped more innovative puzzle games existed for his 360. I plan on informing him of Portal 2's release in the hopes we drive the 15 minutes to the big sticks to buy a copy and spend the weekend playing co-op, getting sloshed on whiskey/scotch and chomping down on roast pork and veggies. Also the mother-in-law and sister-in-law will be all over my Son so I will pretty much have a parenting free weekend! Drunk!
Also I want to find a new job as being fulltime casual sucks. Need some job security yo. That takes effort though.

justin.au

Just got back from seeing Ardal O'Hanlon. Perhaps it was the copious amounts of alcohol I had ingested but he was really fucking good. Solid gags all the way through with only a couple that feel flat among most of the audience (but not me).

4.5/5

If you're in Melbourne get down and see him in the next two or three days, I promise you'll enjoy it.*

*Enjoyment not guaranteed.

justin.au

THERE IS NO CRICKET ON FOR ANOTHER HOUR. WHO DO I SPEAK TO SO THAT THIS INJUSTICE CAN BE CORRECTED?

THIS WHISKEY WON'T DRINK ITSELF.

I just got an email from one of my lecturers that had "preserntation" in its title. How do I correct this injustice?

Jintor

Aon said:

The main difference is that she's snarky straight from the beginning and therefore you get tired of her snarkiness faster. Remember she's restrained for most of Portal 1 and a lot of her lines are under the influence of the morality core.

Aon

Jintor said:
The main difference is that she's snarky straight from the beginning and therefore you get tired of her snarkiness faster. Remember she's restrained for most of Portal 1 and a lot of her lines are under the influence of the morality core.

Yeah, that was my theory, that the snarky unrestrained Glados only worked because it contrasted to her earlier veiled threats.

justin.au

UPTOWN GIRL
She's been living in her uptown world
I bet she's never had a back street guy
I bet her mama never told her why

Fuck the haters, this is brilliant.

Tntnnbltn

Awesome alert incoming:

iiNet is pleased (and maybe a little bit excited) to bring Day[9] TV to its freezone line up.

Australian viewers can now watch Day[9] videos ad-free, lag-free and for iiNet customers, quota-free. No longer will you need to send requests to Day[9] asking him to ship you hard drives of content down-under (Which really does happen).

Competitive online gaming has exploded in popularity over the past few years, with fierce competition across a number of genres making it a legitimate and compelling spectator sport. Cyber sportsfolk work hard to stay at the top of their game, and we reckon there’s no finer specimen than Day[9].

http://freezone.iinet.net.au/channels/freezone/gaming/day9-webcasts

Faster loading for all Australians, plus quota free for iiNet users.

justin.au

Why is this thread so dead on the night leading up to the Easter holiday/s. Is it
the overrated
Portal 2? Or is no-one else as utterly smashed as I am? C'mon, half you guys are at uni. It is your obligation to be drunk tonight.

Darklord

Banned
Tntnnbltn said:
Awesome alert incoming:

Faster loading for all Australians, plus quota free for iiNet users.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? That's crazy! It includes netspace too, right? And #290? On Youtube his channel is only up to #281.

justin.au

Megadrive said:
justin, you are fucking hilarious. Like one of my friends pissed off their gut, yapping on even though they know nobody's listening. I applaude you.
What's funny (or perhaps not so funny depending on your view-point) is that I am absolutely that drunk guy that rambles and nobody talks to.

I hereby solemnly swear that I will attend the next MelbGAF meetup and get right pissed.

You can quote me on that too.

What was going on in Collins St. tonight? Me and my mates got soaked because they fiddled about with the traffic lights. Shakes fist belligerently.

justin.au

Have we all eaten our obligatory meat to piss off our lord and saviour Jesus Christ?

I just ate a bit of raw bacon so that Dennis Pell would die a little bit on the inside. Even my strictly catholic grandparents hate that conservative prick.

Tntnnbltn

Darklord said:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? That's crazy! It includes netspace too, right?
See:
@iiNet Does the Freezone count for Netspace customers too? I'm assuming it doesn't?

@DUCKVILLELOL I believe once Netspace customers are migrated over to the iiNet billing systems, that will change.

@iiNet Is there an ETA on when that occurs? I haven't kept up with goings on lately, unfortunately :(

@DUCKVILLELOL It's just around the corner. New customers have been going straight into our systems for a while now.

And #290? On Youtube his channel is only up to #281.
Day9's Youtube uploads are delayed compared to the actual broadcasts. They go up on time at http://day9tv.blip.tv/ (and now the Freezone)

Top Bottom