• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Salazar

Congratulations, Ubisoft.

Splinter Cell Conviction, which probably only barely deserves my time and money, refuses to launch.

Considering your bullshit DRM attitude and implementation, I am going to blame you instead of Steam.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I'm pretty sure the drm was removed from splinter cell as i have the boxed version. Steam should have applied the updates for it, Unless it never happened.

Danoss

remz said:
Also my new KB and mouse arrived today, probably no one cares but I went with the Roccat Kone Plus and the Das Keyboard Ultimate, typing on a mechanical keyboard is amazing, and I'm a much better touch typist then I thought, hahahah (the das has no labels on the keys) the roccat is pretty nice too, much prefer it over both the G9 and sidewinder X8
I had the Roccat Kone (not the [+]) and it was great until the scroll wheel broke. It was a known common fault that is meant to be fixed on the [+] model. I graduated from a G5>G9>Kone and it is the best mouse I have used. Strangely enough, my warranty replacement (which I assume is the Kone [+]) is in the mail to me now.

Das Keyboards and the Filco Majestouch are great mechanical keyboards and would be my first place to go to grab one (if not grabbing a buckling spring KB that is still in production). I have a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate as my room is dark as hell during the day and needed a backlit keyboard.

Anyway, rambling aside, nice pick-ups.

Fredescu

remz said:
Also my new KB and mouse arrived today, probably no one cares but I went with the Roccat Kone Plus and the Das Keyboard Ultimate, typing on a mechanical keyboard is amazing, and I'm a much better touch typist then I thought, hahahah (the das has no labels on the keys) the roccat is pretty nice too, much prefer it over both the G9 and sidewinder X8
I like my Sidewinder X5 but the middle mouse button is disintegrating. I'm having a real tough time deciding on a replacement. What do you like about it? I've been thinking about the Razer Imperator or the Mionix Nous.

Jintor said:
Speaking as a first-generation Australian of Malaysian descent, why is Australia's attitude towards immigrants so ass-backwards?

"If we could just come in and take the country for ourselves, what's stopping someone else from doing the same to us!? Gotta be proactive and keep all them ethnics out before they can mount an invading force!"

Salazar

evlcookie said:
I'm pretty sure the drm was removed from splinter cell as i have the boxed version. Steam should have applied the updates for it, Unless it never happened.

Don't know what the story is. It just takes a millennium to bring up the Uplay window, and only works from there some of the time.

Game looks better than I imagined - though only 720.

remz

Fredescu said:
I like my Sidewinder X5 but the middle mouse button is disintegrating. I'm having a real tough time deciding on a replacement. What do you like about it? I've been thinking about the Razer Imperator or the Mionix Nous.
My sidewinder had a pretty terrible middle mouse button too. It's hard for me to pinpoint why I like it so much, but I think it's a nice compromise size between the massive X8 and the minuscule G9, and fits my hand far better then either.

The mouse itself has a pleasant soft touch surface to it too, which I really appreciate and is a comfortable shapes. Plenty of buttons on it, but not button overload some of the ridiculous razer stuff, and it has this nifty easy shift thing that gives all the buttons different functions when held. (using that as a substitute media keys atm... which is awesome)

It's just a solid mouse IMO. apart from the bizzare voice that plays when I use the mouse to adjust PC speaker volume/change dpi

Choc

Banned
all international flights in sydney in and out cancelled until 3pm where it will be re-evaluated

that will delay your OOTs i imagine :(

also

i watched the aircrash investigations video into BA flight 9 where the volcanic ash made all its engines fail

the airlines are making the right decisions i believe after watching that.

jambo

Stackboy said:
Watching Go Back to Where you Came From with my sister helped me realise that she is racist and unaccepting of Muslim culture.

A couple of mates came over last night to borrow some sound and lighting gear and one of them was talking about his work. He works as a Site Engineer for an engineering and building company and he was complaining about how the Indian engineers they had on site were a bit useless. One of them was on the phone and walked in to traffic, almost getting hit.

He wasn't being racist, but then my housemate chimed in saying "they're not as useless as the Asians!" and then started pidgeonholing 4 billion people as useless and stupid. Me and my mate both piped up and said how we'd gone to school with a lot of smart people who were asian and we were mates with, but he then started going on about how there were so many immigrants in Australia and how few "real Australians" there must be left.

I was like .__.

Choc said:
all international flights in sydney in and out cancelled until 3pm where it will be re-evaluated

that will delay your OOTs i imagine :(

also

i watched the aircrash investigations video into BA flight 9 where the volcanic ash made all its engines fail

I can't watch those shows, I already have an irrational fear of heights/flying. I'm absolutely dreading the flight to Europe at the end of the year :(

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Anyone want a copy of Time Gentlemen, Please! let me know. Best point and click adventures since the glory days of Lucasarts.
Were you offering that on it's own or the double? I have no probs buying it regardless (it's $1.50 or something) but if you're palming the double off, I'm all yours!

Omikron

jambo said:
A couple of mates came over last night to borrow some sound and lighting gear and one of them was talking about his work. He works as a Site Engineer for an engineering and building company and he was complaining about how the Indian engineers they had on site were a bit useless. One of them was on the phone and walked in to traffic, almost getting hit.

He wasn't being racist, but then my housemate chimed in saying "they're not as useless as the Asians!" and then started pidgeonholing 4 billion people as useless and stupid. Me and my mate both piped up and said how we'd gone to school with a lot of smart people who were asian and we were mates with, but he then started going on about how there were so many immigrants in Australia and how few "real Australians" there must be left.

I was like .__.

Something is wrong here.

jambo said:

I was like .__.

Ahhh I hate that shit, and the scary thing is, that mentality is really common. I met up with a school friend a few months ago, and he was telling me about some boxing show that he was watching and mentioned how good this Aboriginal fighter was. Though instead of saying Aboriginal he used 'Abo' (A racial term I particularly hate considering my ties to the Aboriginal community) and I shut that shit down straight away, I'm not putting up with that shit.

jambo

Omi said:
Something is wrong here.

Haha yeah, I was thinking about that when he said it, but I didn't say anything as a lot of people think of the Indian subcontinent being separate to Asia.

Clipper

Choc said:
Interesting... Just for comparison purposes with yesterday's here's a 10:20AM shot:
photo-27.jpg

Looks like they'll reopen for sure, unless there's some new wave coming through.

And links to the others from yesterday for those not following the thread:
11:30 AM
1:00 PM
2:00 PM
3:00 PM
3:30 PM
4:20 PM

Choc said:
Scaremongering at its best!
but yes this current cloud is certainly worth grounding over

Fogz said:
Too bad their follow-up game wasn't as good. But hey, it was free.
Yeah it was a random game, government funded too I think? They have delayed the 3rd Ben & Dan game to make sure they do it right. I have faith in them.

jambo said:
Me and my mate both piped up and said how we'd gone to school with a lot of smart people who were asian and we were mates with, but he then started going on about how there were so many immigrants in Australia and how few "real Australians" there must be left.
Sounds like you need a new house.

Shaneus said:
Were you offering that on it's own or the double? I have no probs buying it regardless (it's $1.50 or something) but if you're palming the double off, I'm all yours!
Steam friend me man, reptilescorpio. P&C Adventure all round!
Also their first game is freeware

Sutton Dagger said:
Though instead of saying Aboriginal he used 'Abo' (A racial term I particularly hate considering my ties to the Aboriginal community) and I shut that shit down straight away, I'm not putting up with that shit.
Did he say it in a certain tone of voice or was he shortening Aboriginal? Most of the times I can tell if someone is being racist when they use a collective word like Abos rather than talking about someone as an individual. Gives me the shits when I'm talking to someone who is obviously talking about one person but generalises a whole race of people over it. Thankfully Indian students here have become a bit more accepted over the last 12 months, got really bad at one point. I hate generalisations so fucking much. Would be nice to live in a world where everyone was looked at for their actions rather than their heritage.

jambo

reptilescorpio said:
Sounds like you need a new house.

Fuck off, the house is awesome, it's the housemate who can go :lol

Funnily enough he might be "moving out" soon. Two of my housemates, let's call them A and B, are on holiday in the US at the moment. The one who's still at home with me, let's call him C, is the younger brother of B.

I got an email from B yesterday telling me that C hadn't paid any rent/bills money to A&B for the last 2 weeks. C has been buying food and worked a few shifts, but A&B haven't seen any money from C and he hasn't said anything to them or to me.

B basically said that when they get back, she'll talk to their father about C either moving somewhere else, or back home, seeing as he can't pay a measly $150 a week.

=D

Cohsae said:
Those games have been sitting in my steam account untouched for so long. Are you suggesting that I should touch them?
You should touch the shit out of them. Especially if you like witty point and click adventure games that is like a love letter to the genre and its past.

jambo said:
B basically said that when they get back, she'll talk to their father about C either moving somewhere else, or back home, seeing as he can't pay a measly $150 a week.
B sounds like a hottie. Also $150 a week for 4 people, you live right in town? Rent was so cheap in Geelong, was paying $70 in a 3 bedroom place. Lara is expensive though considering it is the middle of nowhere.

reptilescorpio said:
Did he say it in a certain tone of voice or was he shortening Aboriginal? Most of the times I can tell if someone is being racist when they use a collective word like Abos rather than talking about someone as an individual. Gives me the shits when I'm talking to someone who is obviously talking about one person but generalises a whole race of people over it. Thankfully Indian students here have become a bit more accepted over the last 12 months, got really bad at one point. I hate generalisations so fucking much. Would be nice to live in a world where everyone was looked at for their actions rather than their heritage.

Definitely the snide tone denoting a distaste for Aboriginal people. Though I understand there is a certain tone associated with using 'Abo' in a racist sense, I still take issue with the abbreviated 'Abo' anyway. I think most people in Australia are aware of the negative connotations of the abbreviated word 'Abo' and should strive not to use it given its historical context, same with 'Jap' etc.

Shaneus

jambo said:
Fuck off, the house is awesome, it's the housemate who can go :lol

Funnily enough he might be "moving out" soon. Two of my housemates, let's call them A and B, are on holiday in the US at the moment. The one who's still at home with me, let's call him C, is the younger brother of B.

I got an email from B yesterday telling me that C hadn't paid any rent/bills money to A&B for the last 2 weeks. C has been buying food and worked a few shifts, but A&B haven't seen any money from C and he hasn't said anything to them or to me.

=D
And THAT'S why I love living by myself.

Fogz

reptilescorpio said:
Yeah it was a random game, government funded too I think? They have delayed the 3rd Ben & Dan game to make sure they do it right. I have faith in them.

It still had its moments. Taught me a lot about sex ed though! :)

Sutton Dagger said:
Definitely the snide tone denoting a distaste for Aboriginal people. Though I understand there is a certain tone associated with using 'Abo' in a racist sense, I still take issue with the abbreviated 'Abo' anyway.
Yeah we shouldn't have to use the term at all, if someone needs to refer to the race of people they should just say Aboriginal. Or use the persons name.

Shaneus said:
Don't you get scared at night with all the creepy silence? If not you should watch more horror movies. Also it is awesome having someone to rant to. Also cooking, would never bother making a roast just for myself. Shit even bacon & eggs is borderline a hassle for one person considering how long it takes to make versus the 30 seconds it takes to eat.

Fogz said:
It still had its moments. Taught me a lot about sex ed though! :)
Sex is disgusting and putrid is what I got from it :(

jambo

Shaneus said:

I don't think I'd be able to live by myself. Almost every night my housemates and I will play cricket, or cook some food together and have some wine or beers, play video games or just hang out.

Plus if you want some alone time you just go to your room, whereas if I was living alone and wanted to hang out with someone there's no guarantee that someone would be able to come around. This way we get the best of both worlds.

reptilescorpio said:
B sounds like a hottie.

:lol

reptilescorpio said:
Also $150 a week for 4 people, you live right in town? Rent was so cheap in Geelong, was paying $70 in a 3 bedroom place. Lara is expensive though considering it is the middle of nowhere.

Near town, about 5-10 minute drive. The place we're renting is a brand new 2 storey townhouse with 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms (2 of which are en-suites), and 3 large open living areas, as well as a paved back yard area with a small garden.

It's $495 a week, so split between 4 people it's about $125. Add on bills and you get $150. Everyone except for C has a full time job, so while we're completely comfortable paying rent and bills, it's just that C sometimes falls behind and it's not the first time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it always sucks when you accidentally find out someone is a racist.

It's like, things are going along smoothly, you think you're meeting a cool new person, then BAM racist

jambo

Yeah I know. There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Top Bottom