• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Choc

Banned
VOOK said:
I don't think we've ever had a Nintendo game break street date, least not as far as I can remember. It's always usually HD games. I don't pay much attention to the news about that.

I think EB will cop a fine for this, they'll just take it on the chin. Everyone will be free to sell (and on shelves) if that's the case.

Choc may have more info.

Nintendo Street Dates generally are stuck to very very well because in general Nintendo does come with the smackhammer. Most publishers do not go through with the 200,000 dollar plus fines which are threatened. Nintendo did with kmart once and so everyone was on notice.

but, my theory still is right imho, its the ocarina and nitnendo are probably kicking themselves right now

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:
I don't think that's it. It's just opportunistic. It wouldn't be the ocarina deal. Publisher do exclusive stuff with retailers it'll be the cost price GT at paying that's the problem. In fact Mark Langford pretty much confirmed that. They pay more because they can't buy the same amount of stock.

GT probably just saw they could get the Euro version in cheaper and earlier and took the opportunity. I don't think it had anything to do with the ocarina deal.

he mentioned specific exclusive deals. I read that as the ocarina, but you might be right.

Choc said:
EB and GAME are looking beyond the current climate. At some point the AU dollar has to drop. Probably not to 50c USD again but quite significantly. Pissing off local publishers is not a good idea.
Yeah very good point. Might as well cover all the bases for now just in case. Short term gains mean nothing if you are out of business in 5 years time. There is a spot there for a new retailer to take advantage though, places like OzGameShop are doing well out of the current situation so maybe a new store will pop up for a while. Maybe even an overseas retailer setting up a temporary franchise while the going is good.

Fredescu said:
Wasn't it Gamecube related? HN wanted more margin on the Gamecube, Nintendo declined, and then declined to sell them the Wii initially?
Ah yes that was it. Wonder if HN would have the gall to do some importing, even if it is through that new Big Guys online storefront.

Fredescu said:
"A self-proclaimed witch who dragged a Victorian police officer with her car for 200 metres in Geelong has been jailed. "
One of Shaenus and Reptile's mates.
I decline to comment on our relation.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Yeah very good point. Might as well cover all the bases for now just in case. Short term gains mean nothing if you are out of business in 5 years time. There is a spot there for a new retailer to take advantage though, places like OzGameShop are doing well out of the current situation so maybe a new store will pop up for a while. Maybe even an overseas retailer setting up a temporary franchise while the going is good.
I eagerly await OzGameShopfront.

Choc

Banned
right

time to solve this once and for all serrels and vook

find out if EB New Zealand will sell it

they are selling the ocarina edition in NZ

mightyape.co.nz is selling UK version.

if they are not selling its a direct respones to GT australia, and its the ocarina imho.

edit: i meant if they are it might be eb going it alone

Salazar said:
Mafia II PC GOTY.

I goddamn adore this game. They nailed so many things.
The gunplay is perfect. GTA5 has a LOT to make up in that regard. Makes you feel like a badass wielding a massive shotgun and the cover system works perfect.

Jintor

I checked in at Chatswood EB, the register guy said 'twas all lies. I'll look in again on the morrow and see what I find.

Mistle

Should I register the game for the soundtrack tomorrow (EB told me they'd sell it assuming their stock arrives), or wait until the official release? Any risk registering it too early?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Jintor said:
I checked in at Chatswood EB, the register guy said 'twas all lies. I'll look in again on the morrow and see what I find.

Second time I've heard Chatswood mentioned saying it's a lie.

LOL

Mistle said:
Should I register the game for the soundtrack tomorrow (EB told me they'd sell it assuming their stock arrives), or wait until the official release? Any risk registering it too early?

I'd wait and see. I haven't tried mine yet/

Shaneus

Sonic Generations demo is up on PSN, FYI. 3D is WAY overdone in this, like they've parallaxed the shit out of the original to a jarring (and almost sickening) effect. There's also some parts (like after ground springs) that you can't roll into a ball while running at top speed.

For some reason as well, on the attract video they've used this song?!?

Grassy

Salazar said:
Mafia II PC GOTY.

I goddamn adore this game. They nailed so many things.

I only played the Xbox 360 demo and it was a bit meh. I have recently built a new computer though so maybe i'll give the PC version a go.

Just checked Steam and it's still $80 wtf...

Ydahs

Shaneus said:
Sonic Generations demo is up on PSN, FYI. 3D is WAY overdone in this, like they've parallaxed the shit out of the original to a jarring (and almost sickening) effect. There's also some parts (like after ground springs) that you can't roll into a ball while running at top speed.

For some reason as well, on the attract video they've used this song?!?
Oh, the game has 3D support? Might download it and give it a try.

Grassy said:
I only played the Xbox 360 demo and it was a bit meh. I have recently built a new computer though so maybe i'll give the PC version a go.

Just checked Steam and it's still $80 wtf...
$19.50 for the Complete edition with all the DLC on PC. PC version is the best by far. Visuals are incredible.

Shaneus

Ydahs said:
Oh, the game has 3D support? Might download it and give it a try.
Yeah, it does... but that wasn't what I was referring to. More the in-game 3D (like parallax scrolling in fore and background), not the 3D-that-requires-glasses effect.

Salazar

reptilescorpio said:
$19.50 for the Complete edition with all the DLC on PC. PC version is the best by far. Visuals are incredible.

Fuck yeah. The prison yard was sensational.

Also, Joe is an awesome bro character. I agree about the shotgun feeling particularly badass. Especially when you are wearing a long tan coat and a hat. And blasting away at some dude hiding behind a pillar.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Grassy said:
Cheers, i'm going to order that now.

You could wait a little longer if you are in no rush. In theory the steam summer sale is coming up and Mafia 2 is bound to be cheap, Get an american to gift it to you.

Kirby102

So my bro went to the IGN Black Beta for Zelda OOT3D, they gave some free swag :D

ELeT3.jpg

Same ocarina and pen is same as EUR preorder freebies. lol it's so crap :p

hogo5.jpg

And also had some cosplayers there, the top 3 cosplayers at the event went home with a copy of the game, with 1st getting a 3DS... and they were all signed by Eiji Aonuma, so I thought that was nice.

HOPING ZELDA IS OUT TOMORROW. *crosses fingers and hopes JB stocks+sells them*

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
La noire to pc, guess waiting was worth it. Now I just need to wait longer till it's on sale since there's a lot of hate for the game.

Still good news.

Shaneus said:
I eagerly await OzGameShopfront.
Gah! Their current deal is Infamous 2 for $40. Deal starts at Noon so hopefully they are all gone before I check again.

legend166 said:
So it is my last night in Europe.
It's been a great trip but I'm looking forward to coming home.
Stay safe!

evlcookie said:
La noire to pc, guess waiting was worth it. Now I just need to wait longer till it's on sale since there's a lot of hate for the game.
Still good news.
Would prefer RDR but at least it shows they still care. A little. Maybe we can get some impressive mods going on it.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Would prefer RDR but at least it shows they still care. A little. Maybe we can get some impressive mods going on it.
Same. For some reason there's just nothing drawing me to keep playing the 360 one (even though I've put in a few hours and my brother actually finished it on PS3) but if it was on PC and easily accessible (and 60fps... unless R*'d screw the engine up) I'd put in far more time.

That, and it'd shit all over the console versions.

roosters93 said:
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...strictly-for-the-gullible-20110622-1gfav.html

What an excellent opinion piece. I'd never heard of Paul Sheehan before but his opinion is certainly worth nothing to me now.

I thought it was a load of horse shit, he purposefully left out information to adhere to his premise that the show is strictly about 'enforcing empathy'. I'm not saying the show doesn't strive to gain the empathy of the participants/viewers in some capacity, but I'm honestly surprised people wouldn't feel empathy naturally by seeing the real plight these refugees are in.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I look forward to playing LA Noire with broken car flying physics.

That Infamous 2 daily deal is really fucking tempting, I loved the first and I am dying to play the second but my laziness and willing to spend money stops me from picking it up.

Damn, time to start looking for a new PS3, since my current one died the other day.

If I hadn't just bought Infamous 2 and was enjoying the shit outta it I wouldn't have minded as much.

Sutton Dagger said:
I just called my local (on the Central Coast) and he knows something is up but has to check first. Calling back in 10 min.

Which store on the coast?

<--- Also on the coast.

evlcookie said:
I look forward to playing LA Noire with broken car flying physics.

That Infamous 2 daily deal is really fucking tempting, I loved the first and I am dying to play the second but my laziness and willing to spend money stops me from picking it up.

For $40 I I'll get it. Though it says "limited quantity" and I won't be able to get online again until this arvo.

Sutton Dagger said:
I thought it was a load of horse shit, he purposefully left out information to adhere to his premise that the show is strictly about 'enforcing empathy'. I'm not saying the show doesn't strive to gain the empathy of the participants/viewers in some capacity, but I'm honestly surprised people wouldn't feel empathy naturally by seeing the real plight these refugees are in.
Definitely. I especially like the part where he says how wrong the show's stats are but doesn't provide any proof to back up his claim.

It's funny how he quotes the participants (like their opinions are authority anyway?) yet by the end of the show most of them have changed their tune.

Paul Sheehan once said this too
thousands of Australian [sic] have paid a heavy price for the failed refugee-vetting processes in the 1970s and 1980s, when thousands of parasites who should never have been allowed into the country were approved

Classy.

DualShadow said:
Which store on the coast?

<--- Also on the coast.

Erina Fair. Just called back, they currently don't have stock but they are expecting maybe later today. He said if it comes in he will sell it. I might call my BigW and Kmart stores.

Kirby102

Sutton Dagger said:
Erina Fair. Just called back, they currently don't have stock but they are expecting maybe later today. He said if it comes in he will sell it. I might call my BigW and Kmart stores.
EB Rockdale and Hurstville have them in stock.

Funny that we all bitch about EB's high prices and terrible tactics, but as soon as they sell something big a couple of days early everyone is all over them.

Doing the wrong thing couldn't have worked out better for EB*.

* Assuming Nintendo doesn't screw them over at a later date.

codswallop said:
Funny that we all bitch about EB's high prices and terrible tactics, but as soon as they sell something big a couple of days early everyone is all over them.

Doing the wrong thing couldn't have worked out better for EB*.

* Assuming Nintendo doesn't screw them over at a later date.

Even if they are the only store to sell it before the 30th I still wouldn't buy it from them. I'm not paying $20 extra for the privilege of playing it 5-6 days early.

Kirby102

Sutton Dagger said:
Even if they are the only store to sell it before the 30th I still wouldn't buy it from them. I'm not paying $20 extra for the privilege of playing it 5-6 days early.
This is my plan, I'll buy from EB and then refund it when the real date comes out. (within EB's 7 day refund policy) :D Win Win. :D

(I apologise if this is exploitation but ZELDAAAA)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Kirby102 said:
This is my plan, I'll buy from EB and then refund it when the real date comes out. (within EB's 7 day refund policy) :D Win Win. :D

Your save file wouldn't carry though.

But the date is broken now basically, everyone who has stock will sell.

MrSerrels

Kirby102 said:

GAME are seconds away from Officially announcing they will sell.

Everyone will be selling this game this afternoon.

GAME on Facebook.

GAMEAus Come into store and we can help you out

Top Bottom