• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Salazar

EatChildren said:
Salazar
Hyoyeon for life.
(Today, 03:50 PM)

I don't care if the world knows.

legend166 said:
I was actually being serious when I said EatChildren couldn't change our tags. Only admins can do it.

At least, that's the story that Amir0x tells.

Ah. Considering the mod misanthropy described in that thread, it's probably for the best.

legend166

Fredescu said:
My personal favourite is http://www.itestate.com.au because their prices are there or thereabouts, and their website has always been a reliable indicator of stock unlike most places. They have these new weird stock codes though, so I'm not sure what they're about.

Someone more local to you is http://www.greenboxit.com.au/ and they look dodgy as hell, but might be worth checking out without having to leave your homeland.

As for a build, something involving a 2500k, Z68 motherboard, GTX570/HD6970 should last you a good while. It will probably be more towards the $1200 than the $1000 mark.

I can't figure out whether or not it is ironic that IT stores usually have the crappiest websites in existence. I mean, on the one hand you'd say yes, because the owners and proprietors are most likely computer nerds. But on the other hand, computer nerds don't necessarily have great design skills, as we saw in the heady days of geocities and angelfire.

Anyway, thanks for the links, Fred. I've posted in the GAF PC Build thread too, so we'll see what happens.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Gazunta said:
If you guys had tags I'd be less special, and we can't have that.

This is the start of retail acting like they're a publisher themselves. Which is fair enough in a sense - if they imported the product and shipped it to their stores, then they're just doing what our local publishers do, right?

Now what I'm interested in is - will this have any impact on EB internationally? Could a local publisher complain to their US arm who in turn complains to the head office...then again I'm not exactly sure what the official relationship is between the different EBs around the world. The Australian one could just be a franchise deal for all I know.

If this happens expect MORE region locking :(

Fredescu

legend166 said:
I can't figure out whether or not it is ironic that IT stores usually have the crappiest websites in existence. I mean, on the one hand you'd say yes, because the owners and proprietors are most likely computer nerds. But on the other hand, computer nerds don't necessarily have great design skills, as we saw in the heady days of geocities and angelfire.
Yeah, PCCG does it right and it's so simple. I don't know why so many get it so wrong.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can access the exact fields in a member's profile to give them a tag. I just dont know if it works.

A large part of this whole street dating problem is that Nintendo Australia will ultimately be at the mercy of other Nintendo branches, and if they are displeased with the situation will castrate Nintendo Australia, which in turn will screw us all over.

The last thing we need is more dicking about when it comes to release dates.

VOOK

You could be like me and be a nerd who is a web designer and developer as well. That's why my site doesn't look like shit.

EatChildren said:
A large part of this whole street dating problem is that Nintendo Australia will ultimately be at the mercy of other Nintendo branches, and if they are displeased with the situation will castrate Nintendo Australia, which in turn will screw us all over.

The last thing we need is more dicking about when it comes to release dates.

The other point of view is that it this street date breaking is shameful to Nintendo and NCL decide to tell NOE to stop fucking us over and give us good dates and better access to games.

Rezbit

Is anywhere else selling Mercs? I know EB is selling for $56 or whatever, wondering if that means itll be even cheaper at other places.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
VOOK said:
The other point of view is that it this street date breaking is shameful to Nintendo and NCL decide to tell NOE to stop fucking us over and give us good dates and better access to games.

Its fun to dream.

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
You'll always be our giant space lesbian though!

Are you sure you're not confusing publishers with distributors?

yeah he is but to be fair thats exactly what Australian publisher arms are, except in a few very rare cases.

VOOK

Rezbit said:
Is anywhere else selling Mercs? I know EB is selling for $56 or whatever, wondering if that means itll be even cheaper at other places.

I doubt it. But yeah.

EatChildren said:
Its fun to dream.

I live in hope, things have been getting better for the most part.

Choc

Banned
how did i miss this

front page of tele today

'Sydney City Council last night declared the arrival of white settlers an invasion and wiped the words European arrival from official documents.

Clover, seriously.....

I'm not saying I agree/disagree with this but Clover Moore needs to fuck off.

Gazunta

Yeah I know usually I'd be wrong but (no offense to any publishers here ahem) in Australia's case most publishers don't actually publish any game - they import and distribute. So they're synonymous in this country.

(And yes I know there is a LOT more to being a publisher than that, so I edited for clarity)

Just get the community at large to keep calling EB until they get some answers. And then change their phone numbers like they're being harassed. Which they would be.

"He'll keep calling me, he'll keep calling me until I come over. He'll make me feel guilty. This is uh... This is ridiculous, ok I'll go, I'll go, I'll go, I'll go, I'll go. What - I'LL GO. Shit."

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
Just get the community at large to keep calling EB until they get some answers. And then change their phone numbers like they're being harassed. Which they would be.

"He'll keep calling me, he'll keep calling me until I come over. He'll make me feel guilty. This is uh... This is ridiculous, ok I'll go, I'll go, I'll go, I'll go, I'll go. What - I'LL GO. Shit."

LULZ BOAT

VOOK

codswallop said:

So awesome.

Salazar said:
Never mind.

Are other stores going to follow EB's lead ?

With what??! :p

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fredescu said:
As for a build, something involving a 2500k, Z68 motherboard, GTX570/HD6970 should last you a good while. It will probably be more towards the $1200 than the $1000 mark.

I did this about ~2 weeks ago and it cost me $898 for the CPU, Board, 8GB of ram and 2GB 6970. I went a little over the top with the board and even the card, You could also drop it down to 4GB if you wanted to save some extra money. You could probably drop it down to around the $750 mark or less if you go a 6950 etc. Use the rest of the money on a nice SSD for your OS and you should be good to go.

You could wait for bulldozer like I was trying to do until my PC died. That should be august/sept. It could be great, It could be shit, Who knows!

jambo

Why would you need 8GB of RAM in a gaming PC?

=\

Choc said:
how did i miss this, front page of tele today

'Sydney City Council last night declared the arrival of white settlers an invasion and wiped the words European arrival from official documents.

Clover, seriously..... I'm not saying I agree/disagree with this but Clover Moore needs to fuck off.

But it was an invasion.

Fredescu

evlcookie said:
I did this about ~2 weeks ago and it cost me $898 for the CPU, Board, 8GB of ram and 2GB 6970. I went a little over the top with the board and even the card, You could also drop it down to 4GB if you wanted to save some extra money. You could probably drop it down to around the $750 mark or less if you go a 6950 etc. Use the rest of the money on a nice SSD for your OS and you should be good to go.
He wants a new case and PSU too, going on his first post.

jambo said:
You don't need it, but it's a fairly trivial increase in price these days.

legend166

Ok, just very preliminary looking on ITEstate using Fred's recommendations, this is what I got:

Code:
CPU/Processor Intel S1155 Quad Core i5-2500K(3.3GHz) 		$227		
Gaming Case Coolermaster HAF 912 Advanced No PSU (USB 3.0) Black 		$139		
HDD Internal 3.5" 1TB SATA3 7200rpm WesternDigital WD10EALX Caviar Blue 		$65		
Desktop DDR3 Ram 6GB (3x2GB) PC3-12800 1600MHz Kingston KHX1600C9D3T1BK3/6GX CL9 XMP T1 Series 		$91		
Video Card (nV) PCI-e GTX 570HD 1280MB EVGA 732MHz 		$361		
Motherboard Intel S1155 Z68 Gigabyte GZ-Z68X-UD3H B3 		$176		
Power Supply 750W Antec 23755-0 		$147

Total: $1206

How's that look?

Omikron

jambo said:

For the price why wouldn't you outlay for 8GB of RAM as Fred said....

As someone that uses a virtual machine fairly regularly (testing apps on various forms of windows), the extra RAM is godly.

EatChildren

Thats almost exactly the same as my system legend. i5 2500K and GTX570. The GPU is factory OC'd though, and I'm on 4GB DDR3.

legend166

jambo said:

=\

But it was an invasion.

Eh, I don't think it was an invasion. Invasion implies things militarily that I don't think were the case. It really seemed much more like "Let's go to that land. Oh, there are natives there? Sucks to be you guys I guess! Here, have some violent death."

Either way, it's a just another pointless symbolic gesture in a long line of pointless symbolic gestures that do nothing to actually address the issues facing the indigenous communities of Australia.

legend166

EatChildren said:
Thats almost exactly the same as my system legend. i5 2500K and GTX570. The GPU is factory OC'd though, and I'm on 4GB DDR3.

Have you tried Wii/GCN emulation?

I'd love to play some Wind Waker in 1080p.

Fredescu

legend166 said:
How's that look?
If you're not getting an SSD, get a 7200RPM drive as your main drive. A Caviar Black, or the Samsung F3 Spinpoint. That RAM is triple channel, you only need dual channel. Get either a 2x2 kit or a 2x4 kit, and try to stay away from the cheapest "value" RAM. The GSkills with the big stupid heatsinks are popular. I would go for the Corsair HX-650 for the power supply. 7 year warranty and modular and you don't need 750w.

Omi said:
As someone that uses a virtual machine fairly regularly (testing apps on various forms of windows), the extra RAM is godly.
Oh yeah, good point. Legend is in IT. Go for 8GB.

EatChildren

legend166 said:
Have you tried Wii/GCN emulation?

I'd love to play some Wind Waker in 1080p.

Yeah, but not Wind Waker. Performance is here and there. Depends on the title.

I'll see if I can get some Wind Waker action in the next couple of days.

legend166

Fredescu said:
If you're not getting an SSD, get a 7200RPM drive as your main drive. A Caviar Black, or the Samsung F3 Spinpoint. That RAM is triple channel, you only need dual channel. Get either a 2x2 kit or a 2x4 kit, and try to stay away from the cheapest "value" RAM. The GSkills with the big stupid heatsinks are popular. I would go for the Corsair HX-650 for the power supply. 7 year warranty and modular and you don't need 750w.

Thanks, I'll look into it tonight.

That HDD I chose was 7200rpm though, unless you mean it's just a crappy one that I chose?

Do you think I should go with an SSD? Looking here, it's $140 for a 40GB one. If I'm using it simply for the Windows 7 install, I can't see why I'd go any bigger.

EatChildren

Salazar said:
Left 4 Dead is terribly good.

Is Left 4 Dead 2 superior, or different in any notable ways ?

L4D2 is amazing amazing amazing. Its like L4D+. All the good stuff made better, plus more.

If you intend to get it try and get a US player to gift it. If you buy locally you'll get it censored.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Salazar said:

L4D2 was my game of the year 08. I liked L4D, but I absolutely adored L4D2. There are some moments during the L4D2 campaign that I consider up there with the best work Valve have ever done.

Omikron

Salazar said:

If you have the uncut version, its better. Otherwise.... not so much. It just loses so much that contributes to the whole zombie theme.

Be aware, L4D1 maps are all coming to 2 (except the super short Crash Course) in some patch that will be completed on Valve time.

jambo

Salazar said:

If you can get the uncensored version it's one of the best games of '08 and I think it's better than L4D1.

The atmosphere in some of the levels doesn't always reach the levels of L4D1, but then all of the L4D1 maps are slowly making their way in to L4D2 anyway.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fact, we should totally have an AusGAF L4D2 night. Maybe we already do. Is there like an AusGAF TF2/L4D server or...?

Kerrby

Banned
So what's up with the 3DS releases for the rest of the year?

Star Fox 64 3DS in September and that's it?

I might hold off on getting a 3DS all together then.

Choc

Banned
Kerrby said:

Nah Icarus and a heck of a lot of 3rd party stuff

VOOK

Kerrby said:

Starfox, Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart....

Then like Metal Gear Solid 3, Crush 3D, Layton, Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions, Tetris, Driver, Cave Story 3D.

Yup, no games.

Choc said:
Nah Icarus and a heck of a lot of 3rd party stuff

$10 says Kid Icarus for 2012 here (even though 2011 in the US).

EatChildren

I wish Luigi's Mansion 2 was this year.

codswallop said:

Best ending to a movie in history.

Rubixcuba

Banned
My 3DS arrived today that I scored off eBay for ~$260. All an impluse buy just to replay Zelda in 3D and new fancy graphics.

It's glorious.

Top Bottom