• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Fredescu said:
Distributors could put clauses against stocking import stock in their contracts, no?
I was thinking the same thing, but is there anything that says you're not allowed to prevent monopolistic practices like that?

Dead Man

So... Murdoch firing shots at FTA TV?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/c...ns-of-us-tv-free/story-fn8tnfhb-1226084045938

IMAGINE a world where you could legally and freely watch any episode of any TV show ever made.

A world where you could stream high-definition movies to your television for a couple of dollars a week, with an almost unlimited selection to choose from.

Customers in the US can almost experience this right now through internet services like Hulu and Netflix.

Hulu offers over 1000 seasons of television programming with more than 29,000 episodes available for free with a few minor advertisements, or $US8 a month for even more content.

Meanwhile, Netflix users pay $US8 a month to stream as many movies as they want as many times as they want.

But thanks to copyright law, anyone living outside of the US is blocked from using these amazing services.

Fortunately, there is a simple way to get around this restriction by using a commonplace technology called VPN.

VPN stands for virtual private network.

It’s most commonly used by businesses to let employees remotely connect to the company network without compromising security.

But it can also be used to convince overseas websites that you are in a country that has access to its services.

Here’s how it works: you set up your computer with either a free or paid VPN service and, once activated, point your computer’s browser at the Hulu or Netflix website.

The services you previously couldn’t access will now be available to you. It's as simple as that.

There are, however, a few downsides.

Firstly, VPNs can be slow. If your internet connection isn’t fast enough, you could find streaming video continually stopping to buffer, which would make the whole process more effort than it’s worth.

The second issue is that Hulu and Netflix know all about VPNs, and many popular VPN services are actually blocked by these sites.

Quite often this can be overcome by stopping your VPN and starting again, though.

The third issue is how you get the geo-restricted content onto your television.

Screen-sharing devices like the McTiVia, which bundles VPN software with each $299 purchase, encourage Australians to access Hulu on the big screen, but it's a substantial investment.

The other alternative is good, old-fashioned cables.

NOTE: The legality of using VPNs to access international entertainment services is debatable - copyright campaigners will argue it's illegal, but under Australian parallel import law it's not.

A spokesperson for Attorney-General Robert McClelland told The Australian last week: "In relation to the use of VPNs by Australians to access services such as Hulu and Netflix, on the limited information provided there does not appear to be an infringement of copyright law in Australia."

However, using VPNs to access services from Hulu or Netflix definitely contradicts each companies terms of service, although like the conditions attached to iTunes, they aren't necessarily enforceable by law.

So here's our list of the top five VPN Clients:

HotSpot Shield, (free)
Hotspot Shield is one of the most attractive VPN services on the market. It’s free, and it’s incredibly simple to setup. Simply download and install the software, and it will do the rest of the hard work for you.

Hulu does recognise computers using it though, so you might need to try a few times to get it to work for you.
Link to Hotspot Shield

UnblockUS, ($US5 a month)
UnblockUS is designed to work with devices that aren’t your computer, like an Apple TV, Roku box or games console. That’s great if you have an imported device that supports that stuff, but everybody else will simply enjoy the simplicity of a service designed to support video streaming.

It does require some settings adjustments on your PC to work though.
Link to UnblockUS

VPN.S ($8 a month)
The VPN partner of the McTivia device mentioned above, VPN.S understands that certain people are keen to access international video streaming content.

They focus on delivering bandwidth especially for Hulu and Netflix customers in Australia, but consequently come in at a slight premium over other VPN providers.
Link to VPN.S

Hostizzle, ($US4 a month or free)
Hostizzle has a couple of plans on offer, although they mostly offer the same service, with easy installation and plenty of bandwidth for streaming video.

The free service does require you to manually update your VPN certificate every 30 days, a process that takes a bit of time, but could save you money. The choice is yours.
Link to Hostizzle

Strong VPN, ($US7 a month)
One of the stalwarts of the VPN field, Strong VPN is primarily focused on bringing secure connections to business and enterprise. It will also work quite well for streaming video.

With servers all over the world, it also makes it useful if you want to access video streamed content from other countries.
Link to StrongVPN

Shancake

Hey AusGAF!

Have been a long time reader and have finally had my account activated after 8 or so months! I am glad to finally be able to contribute to the awesome discussions that you guys have :D

jambo

You know what we do to the new guys?

uvM6k.gif

Shancake said:
Hey AusGAF!

Have been a long time reader and have finally had my account activated after 8 or so months! I am glad to finally be able to contribute to the awesome discussions that you guys have :D
PC gamer?
Steam ID?
Where you from?
Do you like My Little Pony?
Any retro gaming requests for Gaz?
You into Street Passing?
Would you take Ricki-Lee out to a nice seafood dinner and treat her respectfully?

legend166

Shancake said:
Hey AusGAF!

Awesome discussions?

Are you sure you didn't get us confused with some other GAF sub-community?

Crackdown 2 for $12 AGAIN. More of the same, lots of fun, not quite the step up it should have been but a great dose of what the original offered.

$21 for Portal 2 or Crysis 2 on PC. Portal 2 may end up cheaper during the upcoming Steam sale but Crysis 2 has just had all its dx11 jizz come out so if you want to play a console version of Crysis (still a lot of fun) and find Michael Bay movies to have an excellent story then your eyes will bleed fonts of joy.

Hey, AusGAF, since the start of Operation Backlog way back when, I've so far finished twelve games, and bought four (three of the four bought are included in the twelve finished, so stats are a bit skewed and means I've technically reduced the backlog by nine). The aim was finish two, buy one, so I'm already ahead and have two games 'owed' to me. Not a bad start.

You know what gamecafe.com.au needs? A price watch feature. I want to be able to plug in a search, and then have it email me when a game hits a specific price at any of the sites I nominate.

Choc said:
gaz just a suggestion. do a comic based on street dates :D
Do a comic based on street dates being broken with those games you used to have to type in yourself that were regularly featured in the olden days.

Gazunta

Choc said:
gaz just a suggestion. do a comic based on street dates :D

very topical ;)
I should do one of those editorial cartoons where everything is labelled :)

20090403.gif

codswallop said:
Do a comic based on street dates being broken with those games you used to have to type in yourself that were regularly featured in the olden days.

OH SHIT THAT'S GOLD

RIP Bizarre video.

Gazunta said:
For $12 I'm tempted to buy five copies and just give them out to the needy.
Operation Game The Homeless

Or every Christmas present is now accounted for! Even the kiddies will love it.

Shaneus said:
What did you think of it, RS? Finished it yet?
Like I said it was great fun but too much of the same. I actually really like the not-zombies being added into the mix as it got annoying fighting guys who could shoot you from a long distance all the time. At least having the melee enemies mixes it up a bit so it doesn't seem like a grind, finding that the problem with Infamous at the moment.

I played and finished it at my in-laws while waiting for my Son to pop out so none of the achievements are on my profile, which is irritating because it has a really great cheevo list, the game is also still there so I better remember to grab it back so I can play some co-op on my new game. Nothing really comes close to the feel of Crackdown. Infamous is much more polished and mechanically better but Crackdown just makes me feel like a little kid letting his imagination running off into the super powered distance. So much fun. Prototype is another similar game that focused more on the destructive capabilities and was pretty lax in all other areas.

I would be really surprised if they weren't working on a proper, fully fledged Crackdown 3. This time they would be able to create the game THEY want rather than knock it out nice and quick to appease Microsoft. New engine, new story, etc.

histopher

Sorry to ask this again, but I am desperate to find out.

If I buy a US 3DS can I play local mutiplayer with my friends who have AU 3DS?

Is there a way to buy from the eStore?

And, where should I get an AC adapter for it?

Many thanks!!!

jambo

histopher said:
Sorry to ask this again, but I am desperate to find out.

If I buy a US 3DS can I play local mutiplayer with my friends who have AU 3DS?

99% sure you can play with any region

histopher said:
Is there a way to buy from the eStore?

Not sure, Aus credit card might work, Vook would know.

histopher said:
And, where should I get an AC adapter for it?

DSi adaptor from EB Games

histopher said:
Many thanks!!!

<3

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Can't see at work, but is that the one from the guy that did a lot of the design work at Bizarre? I shit you not, tears well up every time I watch that thing. So much potential from that developer that has now completely vanished. They really did have a style that was all their own... often imitated but never topped. Still surprised that the visual fidelity (particularly the environments and weather effects) of PGR4 haven't been matched on a console.

Like I said it was great fun but too much of the same. I actually really like the not-zombies being added into the mix as it got annoying fighting guys who could shoot you from a long distance all the time. At least having the melee enemies mixes it up a bit so it doesn't seem like a grind, finding that the problem with Infamous at the moment.

I played and finished it at my in-laws while waiting for my Son to pop out so none of the achievements are on my profile, which is irritating because it has a really great cheevo list, the game is also still there so I better remember to grab it back so I can play some co-op on my new game. Nothing really comes close to the feel of Crackdown. Infamous is much more polished and mechanically better but Crackdown just makes me feel like a little kid letting his imagination running off into the super powered distance. So much fun. Prototype is another similar game that focused more on the destructive capabilities and was pretty lax in all other areas.

I would be really surprised if they weren't working on a proper, fully fledged Crackdown 3. This time they would be able to create the game THEY want rather than knock it out nice and quick to appease Microsoft. New engine, new story, etc.
I'd hope so. The ending definitely did tease a third one... if they had the chance, I'd like to see more of a Robocop-like focus on fighting crime rather than mutants etc. Baddies are so much more fun to kill when they're human.

legend166

legend166 said:
What's your internet speed?

Just further on this, if I can get US Netflix streamed to my TV via PS3 via internet for a combined total of $13/month ($8 for Netflix, $5 for that unblock thing), I'm going to need to know how to do it this very second so I can set it up as soon as I get home.

kase23

Shancake said:
Hey AusGAF!

Heya welcome aboard, what part of aus do you hail from?

histopher said:
Thanks jambo. Seems to be the way to go then!
I answered this for you on the last page :(

Fusebox

Banned
legend166 said:
What's your internet speed?

Not sure mate, I'm on the TPG ADSL2+ unlimited plan.

legend166 said:
Just further on this, if I can get US Netflix streamed to my TV via PS3 via internet for a combined total of $13/month ($8 for Netflix, $5 for that unblock thing), I'm going to need to know how to do it this very second so I can set it up as soon as I get home.

Bzzt! First major hurdle: Trying to get the Netflix app to appear on an Australian PS3. I've set my US DNS servers, I've logged in with my USA PSN account but I cannot get the Netflix icon or application to appear anywhere on the dash.

I'm currently using it with my iPad 2 and AppleTV (Netflix appears as an app on both devices, no problems using it from there) but I've heard Netflix on PS3 has slightly better PQ so I'm keen to try it out. If anyone can figure out how to get to the Netflix logon screen from my PS3 I'll be stoked.

kase23

jambo said:
Yeah, but you're a junior.
The day that we the proletariat junior gaffers will rise above the corrputed full member custon taggers is soon coming! (so long as i dont have full member status by then ofcourse.)

histopher said:
Sorry kase, I thought I checked pretty thoroughly but I guess not, thanks mate.
No worries comrade, also to further answer your question about the US 3dS eShop, yes you can use an australian CC but you have to switch your region to outside the US, Brazil seems to be the the more popular region, I use Ontario Canada and I can add funds and buy off the eShop fine.

legend166

Fusebox said:
Not sure mate, I'm on the TPG ADSL2+ unlimited plan.

Bzzt! First major hurdle: Trying to get the Netflix app to appear on an Australian PS3. I've set my US DNS servers, I've logged in with my USA PSN account but I cannot get the Netflix icon or application to appear anywhere on the dash.

I'm currently using it with my iPad 2 and AppleTV (Netflix appears as an app on both devices, no problems using it from there) but I've heard Netflix on PS3 has slightly better PQ so I'm keen to try it out. If anyone can figure out how to get to the Netflix logon screen from my PS3 I'll be stoked.
Hmm, I will do some research into it.

Fogz

legend166 said:

Also how do you pay for Netflix with an AU credit card. Or do PSN prepaid cards work? :)

Fusebox

Banned
Fogz said:
Also how do you pay for Netflix with an AU credit card. Or do PSN prepaid cards work? :)

I tried my Paypal account but it got rejected because it has an Australian address, so I chose to pay by CC, I put in a real American address with my real Visa details and it accepted them.

Fogz

Fusebox said:
I tried my Paypal account but it got rejected because it has an Australian address, so I chose to pay by CC, I put in a real American address with my real Visa details and it accepted them.

Interesting. I would totally be down for that if I had something to play it on.

Hey dudes, I finally got off the wait list like seemingly half the other recent posters too.

I have no idea what the shit i originally singed up to post about, so I figured I'd just introduce myself to AusGAF.

Dead Man

Shancake said:
Hey AusGAF!

Welcome.

FallbackPants said:
Hey dudes, I finally got off the wait list like seemingly half the other recent posters too.

I have no idea what the shit i originally singed up to post about, so I figured I'd just introduce myself to AusGAF.
And welcome to you, too.

Gazunta

reptilescorpio said:
PC gamer?
Steam ID?
Where you from?
Do you like My Little Pony?
Any retro gaming requests for Gaz's awesome comics?
You into Street Passing?
Would you take Ricki-Lee out to a nice seafood dinner and treat her respectfully?
I'd be totally OK with these
modified
questions being compulsory for every new member :p

legend166

fuse, is there a way to simply stream Netflix to the PS3 via the PC instead of using the app directly? Like using PS3 Media Server?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
How long do ozgameshop typically take to deliver a game once it's been sent? Like, where are they located?

Shancake

reptilescorpio said:
PC gamer? Whatevers available on Mac Steam
Steam ID? Shancake2 I think!
Where you from? Sydney for study. Originally from the great Melbourne town
Do you like My Little Pony? Love it!
Any retro gaming requests for Gaz? Tennis GBA
You into Street Passing? Yessss! Nearly got all my puzzle pieces
Would you take Ricki-Lee out to a nice seafood dinner and treat her respectfully? Not even if she paid

Answers above^

Welcome fresh meat!

Picked up the Extended LOTR blu rays on the way home from work (which is a really nice package actually, well worth the $120 dollarydoos)

About to sit down and watch Fellowship of the Ring. So tempted to pull an all nighter but EOFY at work tomorrow might be interesting on no sleep.

Shaneus

Finally got my points cards from Fishpond, over a month after ordering them. Now... 6,000 points to blow on XBLA. Think I'll hold out for the Summer/Winter of Live... some stuff on there is looking hott.

Though, Trenched... hmm.

Top Bottom