• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

jambo

Kirby102 said:
Hello Kirby102,

Thank you for registering your Nintendo 3DS system!
Your free Nintendo 3DS T-shirt will be shipped to the following address:

What?! I want a shirt?! >=[

Danoss said:
25 Mbps down, I forget the upload amount, 60 GB limit per month: $70 per month.

Sound like a good deal? Hell no!

That's crap!

I pay $116 for 600 GB a month on 10 Mbps

Fuck windows update. Always kills my PC. Now I'm trying to run startup repair for the tenth time but it doesn't seem to be fixing anything. Only problem I've had with win7. In the past a few runs of startup repair has had the hdd become visable to the motherboard but I'm starting to lose hope here

Danoss said:
Sound like a good deal? Hell no! I'll take my current naked ADSL2+ where I'm 3.5Km from the exchange and get 150GB per month for $60 over that any day.
...I pay $99 for 1000GB on 20Mb (actually maxes out about 16Mb).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I pay 50 and get unlimited at 20Mbits. If a download hits 1mB/s it's a gigantic novelty, usually things hover between 300-700kB/s

Shaneus

Danoss said:
Speed isn't a large concern of mine, instead I would like to have better download limits on offer. Someone I know in Brisbane is connected to the NBN and here's the plan he is on, which is the lowest it goes:

25Mbps down, I forget the upload amount, 60GB limit per month: $70 per month.

Sound like a good deal? Hell no! I'll take my current naked ADSL2+ where I'm 3.5Km from the exchange and get 150GB per month for $60 over that any day. The time will come where I don't have a choice and my wallet gets to be raped again so I can actually download things.
I pay twice that, similar (slightly faster) speed and get 1TB data. Shit needs to drop *massively* before Australia can be taken even remotely seriously as a broadband-enabled nation.

jambo said:
Format and re-install the OS, Windows Update should not break your PC.
If I can get it booted I'll back up all my stuff and grab a new hdd or maybe a ssd. would prefer to keep all my stuff. This has been happening ever since I installed win7 and shut down the computer after an update

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:
Fuck windows update. Always kills my PC. Now I'm trying to run startup repair for the tenth time but it doesn't seem to be fixing anything. Only problem I've had with win7. In the past a few runs of startup repair has had the hdd become visable to the motherboard but I'm starting to lose hope here

That isn't good at all, kinda makes me think there is something wrong with your actual install as a whole. :(

As far as breaking things go, you should try developing software in slightly old technology.... every windows update (Service packs in particular) become a mine field of broken dll references or minor function call changes.

Rez said:
I pay 50 and get unlimited at 20Mbits. If a download hits 1mB/s it's a gigantic novelty, usually things hover between 300-700kB/s
TPG?

reptilescorpio said:
If I can get it booted I'll back up all my stuff ... would prefer to keep all my stuff.
Backups, man! Time to start looking at backups! Go with 3-2-1: 3 backups, 2 different media, 1 offsite.

jambo

reptilescorpio said:
If I can get it booted I'll back up all my stuff and grab a new hdd or maybe a ssd. would prefer to keep all my stuff. This has been happening ever since I installed win7 and shut down the computer after an update

Safe mode should hopefully get you sorted, just mash F8 after the BIOS screen.

And it's generally not a great idea to have important stuff on your C: drive. Best way to do it is to have a dedicated C: drive that has Windows on it, so that if it dies you can just wipe it and reinstall to get going again.

legend166

Danoss said:
Speed isn't a large concern of mine, instead I would like to have better download limits on offer. Someone I know in Brisbane is connected to the NBN and here's the plan he is on, which is the lowest it goes:

25Mbps down, I forget the upload amount, 60GB limit per month: $70 per month.

Sound like a good deal? Hell no! I'll take my current naked ADSL2+ where I'm 3.5Km from the exchange and get 150GB per month for $60 over that any day. The time will come where I don't have a choice and my wallet gets to be raped again so I can actually download things.

Exactly. I'll take unlimited ADSL at 6mbps for $60/month over 25mbps with a 60GB cap for $70 a month.

Hopefully they'll learn that quickly.

Root cause found. invalid system partition. In the past it eventually fixes it and is fine for another few months. This time though I will reinstall win7 if I can grab my data first.

legend166

Rez said:

How are you getting 20Mbits when you say your downloads sit between 300-700kB/s?

Or do you mean, 20mbit is the advertised max for your plan?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
legend166 said:
How are you getting 20Mbits when you say your downloads sit between 300-700kB/s?

Or do you mean, 20mbit is the advertised max for your plan?
Advertised max. Looking at their website they've since adjusted it to a more realistic 10mb/s expectation.

codswallop said:
TPG?

Backups, man! Time to start looking at backups! Go with 3-2-1: 3 backups, 2 different media, 1 offsite.
Nah 99% of stuff is on another hdd but I just copied all my gfs photos off her phone and onto the desktop and hadn't moved them yet so I would prefer to avoid losing them. not looking good.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
legend166 said:
Guys, why doesn't no one else care that we've figured out how to get Netflix on an Australian PS3 for $13/month.

Because
1) It costs me money
2) The quality isn't as good as other means
3) I have to use my bandwidth when i might not have enough during that period of wanting to watch the shows
4) I can't keep them
5) It's not automated so when i come home it's not there ready to go, Instead I have to buffer it and wait
6) I can't create an experience with it as i could with a htpc/storage/xbmc setup.
7) Better audio quality via 6)
8) No ads? I think you still get ads with netflix right?

So on and so forth.

I have no major issues with streaming tv shows via something like hulu or even paying for it, It just isn't for me.

Danoss

Oh, anyone going to Roger Waters' The Wall in their local capital? I jumped on tickets today, and am so pumped to see it in 8 months.

Fusebox

Banned
evlcookie said:
Because
1) It costs me money
2) The quality isn't as good as other means
3) I have to use my bandwidth when i might not have enough during that period of wanting to watch the shows
4) I can't keep them
5) It's not automated so when i come home it's not there ready to go, Instead I have to buffer it and wait
6) I can't create an experience with it as i could with a htpc/storage/xbmc setup.
7) Better audio quality via 6)
8) No ads? I think you still get ads with netflix right?

So on and so forth.

I have no major issues with streaming tv shows via something like hulu or even paying for it, It just isn't for me.

If I had the energy I'd tell you why most of those are wrong...

jambo

Fusebox said:
I love my TPG connection, I'm close to my exchange so I average around 1.6Mb down speed on a hot torrent from Demonoid. $59 unlimited ADSL2+

What extras do TPG get?

I'm with Internode and we get stuff like month by month billing (no contract), unmetered Steam, unmetered ABC iView, 150 streaming radio station subscriptions, premium Usenet access, unmetered Games.On.Net access, 5 email accounts and free webspace.

reptilescorpio said:
Nah 99% of stuff is on another hdd but I just copied all my gfs photos off her phone and onto the desktop and hadn't moved them yet so I would prefer to avoid losing them. not looking good.
What happens when that 'other' HDD dies?

jambo

Danoss said:
Oh, anyone going to Roger Waters' The Wall in their local capital? I jumped on tickets today, and am so pumped to see it in 8 months.

I'll be going, but I didn't think tickets were on sale until next week =o

What city you seeing it in?

jambo

It is pretty expensive though, tickets start at $122 and go up to $400+ for Diamond.

Totally worth it though, I don't think any other concert will be able to top it after I go.

Fusebox

Banned
jambo said:
What extras do TPG get?

Dunno, don't need many extras when you have unlimited uploads and downloads.

Omi said:
Heh... please enlighten us. Otherwise cookie wins the discussion by default.

Blechhh, there's no buffering. Even on my wireless network I've never waited more then 2-3 seconds for any movie or TV show to start.

The Netflix interface on ATV is slicker and faster than my old HTPC UI.

I don't need to keep TV shows, I just restream them. Its like the entire Netflix is already being stored on my PVR.

There are NO ads. None.

The idea of calling it 'not being ready to go' when it takes all of 2 seconds to buffer, yet you're happy to wait for a torrent? Well that just seems disingenuous. :p

Fusebox

Banned
Which concerns? Netflix on my ATV has equal PQ to SD Foxtel and SD FTA. Better than DVD and much better than your average SD .AVI rip.

If you refuse to watch anything non-HD ever, then that's understandable, but if that isn't the case then you should have no problem with watching Netflix.

Omikron

Fusebox said:
Which concerns? Netflix on my ATV has equal PQ to SD Foxtel and SD FTA. Better than DVD and much better than your average SD .AVI rip.

If you refuse to watch anything non-HD ever, then that's understandable, but if that isn't the case then you should have no problem with watching Netflix.

I probably download 99% of my content in HD.

That said, I do enjoy using ABC iView for casual TV watching.

Fusebox

Banned
Yeah I use ABC iView a lot as well too, it's ace. Netflix is faaaar better quality than the iView service although when it comes to my favourite shows like Game of Thrones I'll still get the 720p version, but for regular TV watching the Netflix is fine.

edit: Jeez, make me sound like a Netflix fanboy why dontcha? :p

Fuck it. Not repairing. Time to go buy a new hdd and hope it isn't the motherboard that is playing up. Hopefully I can still access the old hdd as a backup to get my desktop files.

Isn't there a Netflix HD (yes, there is, I seem to recall a rant popping up in my RSS reader recently)?

Another good argument for Netflix is that it's, you know, legal*...

*As legal as falsifying that you are a US resident in order to get around licensing laws... More legal than torrents though, I guess. Or at least less illegal.

Omikron

Fusebox said:
Yeah I use ABC iView a lot as well too, it's ace. Netflix is faaaar better quality than the iView service although when it comes to my favourite shows like Game of Thrones I'll still get the 720p version, but for regular TV watching the Netflix is fine.

edit: Jeez, make me sound like a Netflix fanboy why dontcha? :p

Hey, you dropped yourself in that situation with the rampant defending of Netflix. Not my doing at all ;)

I just wanted detail!

Rez said:
go watch Bridesmaids, you guys

It was good, but i didn't dig is as much as other people seem to. My girlfriend absolutely loved it. But yeah, still fairly hilarious, but by no means apatow's best.

jambo said:
What extras do TPG get?

I'm with Internode and we get stuff like month by month billing (no contract), unmetered Steam, unmetered ABC iView, 150 streaming radio station subscriptions, premium Usenet access, unmetered Games.On.Net access, 5 email accounts and free webspace.

I use internode but I don't use any other the extras. Well, except month to month billing without a contract. That's pretty sweet. I actually didn't even know i could get those radio stations. I'm going to check that out right now.

legend166

codswallop said:
Isn't there a Netflix HD (yes, there is, I seem to recall a rant popping up in my RSS reader recently)?

Another good argument for Netflix is that it's, you know, legal*...

*As legal as falsifying that you are a US resident in order to get around licensing laws... More legal than torrents though, I guess. Or at least less illegal.

Well, according to the Attorney General's Office, it's legal. That's good enough for me. And I didn't even end up needing to supply Netflix with an address.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I don't use torrents and i don't wait since it's automatically done when i'm at work. I get home and i'm good to go to sit infront of the couch and get fat.

It's nice to know there's no buffering going on, However if my connection drops out or something flaky happens then there goes your episode i would imagine. I'm sure it caches most of it right? Or is it only 30 seconds at a time?

legend166

I'm pretty sure I'll use Netflix more for the movies than TV shows. I don't get to the cinema much these days and I can't remember the last time I rented a DVD. It will be perfect for those movies I wouldn't have paid $18 to go see or $25 to buy the DVD/Blu-Ray, but wouldn't mind watching anyway.

Current example - I put Prince of Persia in my instant queue.

evlcookie said:
I don't use torrents and i don't wait since it's automatically done when i'm at work. I get home and i'm good to go to sit infront of the couch and get fat.?
... or using NZBs, or IRC, or, or, or. They're still not legal.

legend166 said:
Well, according to the Attorney General's Office, it's legal. That's good enough for me. And I didn't even end up needing to supply Netflix with an address.
Got a link for that? I wouldn't mind seeing more about the legality of using a foreign service only licensed for use in that country by pretending you're in that country. I always figured it would be technically not legal.

Edit: I wonder if unblock-us.com would also allow you to sign up for a XBL account in the US, thus gaining access to stuff not out here, like Indie Games, or ESPN, or Netflix on LIVE.

Fusebox

Banned
evlcookie said:
It's nice to know there's no buffering going on, However if my connection drops out or something flaky happens then there goes your episode i would imagine.

Nah, it seems to remember the place of every show I've watched on the service.

Even if I pull the power cord out of my ATV mid-movie, I can open Netflix on the iPad and resume from the location I left off.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Gazunta said:
This netflix talk has gotten me more interested in owning a PS3 than anything else has since the thing was launched.

Or you could just get it on an Apple TV, much cheaper.

Gazunta said:
This netflix talk has gotten me more interested in owning a PS3 than anything else has since the thing was launched.
Buy two Boxees for less than one PS3 and you'll get everything ... except Blu Ray and games.

VOOK said:
Or you could just get it on an Apple TV, much cheaper.
Unless you like 1080p. ;)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
codswallop said:
... or using NZBs, or IRC, or, or, or. They're still not legal.

Sure, I never said it was legal, I just said more convenient and useful.

Which strangely is how most software is these days, More useful when it's illegal, which is sad in the grand scheme of things.

Fusebox

Banned
I love my videos from the web as much as the next man, but how is it any more convenient than coming home, turning the TV on, selecting a show and hitting play?

Shaneus

Fusebox said:
I love my videos from the web as much as the next man, but how is it any more convenient than coming home, turning the TV on, selecting a show and hitting play?
I have to admit, even though I download my fair share of TV shows (mostly late-night talkshows) the free month of Foxtel has shown me just how easy it is to pick up the controller and browse channels without having to go through UPnP via my WDTV Live.

VOOK said:
What 1080P content do you have beside Bluray?
Rips of said content. ;) Also YouTube is HD now. I don't see why you'd willingly buy a device which is crippled, which IMO the Apple TV is.

evlcookie said:
Sure, I never said it was legal, I just said more convenient and useful.
Yeah, I have a pretty sweet setup. I've always said though that if I could legally buy a TV streaming service at a reasonable I would. Maybe it was a way of fooling myself that the "other" way was OK in the interim...

Fusebox said:
I use XBMC on an HTPC with a reasonable amount of networked storage. It's easy enough that the wife can turn it on and access anything she wants and I don't expect a phonecall. Plus it's even more instant than instant.

Top Bottom