• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
NEW PAGE NEW PAGE

Box of Bunnies said:
They're in the UK somewhere. Tend to take about twelve days for things to arrive after dispatch.

Jintor

After watching bluray Evangelion 2.22 yesterday in the Hyper room with 6.1 sound and a ridiculously large tv, I fuckin' need a home theatre setup like dat

Thought I would get by just using my PC but fuck that shit

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I picked up my mum's iPad 2 earlier today and my parents are off on a cruise for another couple weeks. Looking forward to playing around with it.

Salazar

Do EB sell arcade sticks that will work with my PC ?

Edit: Played through Hard Rain this afternoon. Motherfucker, that is some genius. Level design that makes you feel smart. So much fucking atmosphere.

BanShunsaku said:
Welcome fresh meat!

Picked up the Extended LOTR blu rays on the way home from work (which is a really nice package actually, well worth the $120 dollarydoos)

About to sit down and watch Fellowship of the Ring. So tempted to pull an all nighter but EOFY at work tomorrow might be interesting on no sleep.

Kritz said:
FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING: WATCHED

TWO TOWERS: PENDING INSERTION...

Oh shit. Oh shit. I know what I'm buying tomorrow!

Doncamatic said:
Oh shit. Oh shit. I know what I'm buying tomorrow!
Just started disc 2 of FOTR.

The new transfer is fucking fantastic, sound mix is amazing too. I would have paid twice the asking price for this set to be honest.

Are the LOTR transfers PAL? With the EE DVDs, the audio on the PAL transfer was all messed up, had the occasional audio glitch and so on. I bought the NTSC super fancy editions because of that.

codswallop said:
Are the LOTR transfers PAL? With the EE DVDs, the audio on the PAL transfer was all messed up, had the occasional audio glitch and so on. I bought the NTSC super fancy editions because of that.
There is a chance I'm wrong, but as far as I know PAL/NTSC does not apply to blu ray or any HD formats. As such I guess the answer is no.

But I really don't know much about the technical side of these things :/

hamchan

Jintor said:
After watching bluray Evangelion 2.22 yesterday in the Hyper room with 6.1 sound and a ridiculously large tv, I fuckin' need a home theatre setup like dat

Thought I would get by just using my PC but fuck that shit

I can only imagine the epic. Great movie, can't wait for 3.0.

PC gamer? I'm a lapsed member of the master race. Used to be all about PCs, but mine got old and never got around to/could afford to upgrade.
Steam ID? So, yeah, start pelting those tomatoes
Where you from? Brisbane, but I'm working in Chinchilla in south west Queensland at the moment
Do you like My Little Pony? Are you coming on to me?
Any retro gaming requests for Gaz's awesome comics? Sinistar? The lost vikings?
You into Street Passing? Like passing on the street? Like overtaking? Sure.
Would you take Ricki-Lee out to a nice seafood dinner and treat her respectfully? More into land food myself.

r1chard said:
How can you all NOT be watching Teen Wolf right now?!?
God it's good isn't it. I'm really looking forward to never watching that show though. That looks ratshit

codswallop said:
Yeah, I'm not sure either, hence the question.

...five seconds of Googling seems to indicate there's no PAL/NTSC. Now if only they hadn't done that green tint thing, it'd be a almost perfect transfer.
Yeh I was worried about the green tint, but honestly I can see no such thing on my screen. If anything it feels much more like it did in the cinema than my EE DVD's did.

I've paused my copy at a few of the places those comparison screenshots in the OT thread were taken, and if anything it looks somewhere in between the two versions in terms of colour.

I guess people were always going to nitpick but I reckon most people will be happy with it.

BanShunsaku said:
I've paused my copy at a few of the places those comparison screenshots in the OT thread were taken, and if anything it looks somewhere in between the two versions in terms of colour.
Yeah, I think it's one of those things that geeks like me get all riled up about and then actually watch the damned movie and forget about the whole thing.

r1chard

Wow. They don't make 'em like Teen Wolf any more.

It's the music that makes it. That and the really long basketball game at the end.

legend166

Ok so using PlayOn and Unblock-US I can get Comedy Central, Hulu, ESPN3, etc to all stream to my PS3.

Everything but damn Netflix. Even if I just try to watch anything from Netflix on my PC, it just sits at 4%. Did you have that problem fusebox?

And I don't know what the deal is with the Netflix App on PS3. I'm signed into PSN under my US name, and I know the PS3 thinks I'm in the US, because when I was trying to us the PlayOn thing, it kept telling me I was outside of the US, then I put the Unblock-US DNS settings in and it worked. Yet if I go click on the Netflix app, absolutely nothing happens.

The questions are serving their purpose. Now ridicule can be hurled much earlier in a members time here. Plus SteamChat!

Just finished Infamous. Was awesome way to end a great game. Started to draw out on the last island and the sentry robots gave me the shits. Mines too. Polish was good and only had a few niggles with the system, really need to allow you to draw electricity from further away. Considering I got it for free I am very happy to grab the follow up. Sucker Punch are a damn good dev house.

r1chard said:
Wow. They don't make 'em like Teen Wolf any more.
It's the music that makes it.
I would argue that a HUGE part of a movie is the music. Think of all the Hans Zimmer work lately that is in every movie. You can break timelines of movie production into what scorework style was popular at the time. It is also one of the reasons that Footloose 2011 will fail, unless they get foot loose to the stylings of James Newton Howard.

Choc

Banned
So I am Alive rated by the COB

must be coming soonish, i've wanted that game since first hearing about it!!

need more info ubi!

Fogz

legend166 said:
Ok so using PlayOn and Unblock-US I can get Comedy Central, Hulu, ESPN3, etc to all stream to my PS3.

Everything but damn Netflix. Even if I just try to watch anything from Netflix on my PC, it just sits at 4%. Did you have that problem fusebox?

And I don't know what the deal is with the Netflix App on PS3. I'm signed into PSN under my US name, and I know the PS3 thinks I'm in the US, because when I was trying to us the PlayOn thing, it kept telling me I was outside of the US, then I put the Unblock-US DNS settings in and it worked. Yet if I go click on the Netflix app, absolutely nothing happens.

I've been messing around with PlayOn as well, just seeing what would work without Unblock-US as well as finding plugins that add more channels. This plugin might be of interest to some people http://www.playonscripts.com/?w=view&id=292

BanShunsaku said:
There is a chance I'm wrong, but as far as I know PAL/NTSC does not apply to blu ray or any HD formats. As such I guess the answer is no.

But I really don't know much about the technical side of these things :/
There is region locking for blurays. There are quite a few region free blurays though.

legend166

Got Netflix working :D

If you go to the internet browser on the PS3, and then go to www.netflix.com it will give you a link, which if you click, will take you to the PSN store where you can download the app.

Next up - how to get better than low SD quality....

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wee! Registered my OoT3D code for the cd!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Darklord said:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/28/why-is-european-broadband-faster-and-cheaper-blame-the-governme/

After watching the video in that link I wondered how the new NBN will compare to the rest of the world. The talk of Amsterdam's new network they are saying in a few years they'll have 1gigabit. How fast will we actually get?

The NBN can hit 1Gigabit if it wants to, It is fiber after all but that won't happen for a few years.

If they can get it stable at 100mbit across AUS then i would expect it to slowly increase as time goes on, 1Gigabit isn't a far stretch at all.

Mistle

Got the OoT soundtrack. Nice!

EDIT: Does Club Nintendo Australia have premium/gold statuses and such? If so, how many stars do I need?

Rahk said:
PAL/NTSC isn't the same thing as regions.
What do you mean? Like bluray region locking is just an arbitrary locking system while PAL and NTSC are two separate analog encoding systems with different resolutions?

Fusebox

Banned
legend166 said:
Got Netflix working :D

If you go to the internet browser on the PS3, and then go to www.netflix.com it will give you a link, which if you click, will take you to the PSN store where you can download the app.

Next up - how to get better than low SD quality....

Nice work legend! Gonna try that out tonight.

MrSerrels

I'm almost done writing up a feature on this whole EB Games/Game Traders/Ocarina thing.

EB have a policy of not doing one on one interviews (not even over the phone) so I had to send them an email Q and A.

Just thought I'd post one of the answers, because it's indicative of how ridiculous this stuff can get sometimes.

My Question: Game Traders began selling Ocarina of Time grey imports a week before the game’s official release – did this have any bearing on you guys selling the game early?

EB's Answer: There is only 1 thing we are more passionate about than games and that is our customers. We strive hard to always exceed the high expectations of our customers.

legend166

Fusebox said:
Nice work legend! Gonna try that out tonight.

I figured out the quality thing too. Looks like it just sits on low for the first couple of minutes whilst it's buffering, then switches to high.

Guys, why doesn't no one else care that we've figured out how to get Netflix on an Australian PS3 for $13/month.

legend166

MrSerrels said:
I'm almost done writing up a feature on this whole EB Games/Game Traders/Ocarina thing.

EB have a policy of not doing one on one interviews (not even over the phone) so I had to send them an email Q and A.

Just thought I'd post one of the answers, because it's indicative of how ridiculous this stuff can get sometimes.

My Question: Game Traders began selling Ocarina of Time grey imports a week before the game’s official release – did this have any bearing on you guys selling the game early?

EB's Answer: There is only 1 thing we are more passionate about than games and that is our customers. We strive hard to always exceed the high expectations of our customers.

What is this I don't even.....

legend166 said:
Guys, why doesn't no one else care that we've figured out how to get Netflix on an Australian PS3 for $13/month.
I care (though I'll be using an HTPC... somehow). And if the minister of war and finance OKs it, will be subscribing shortly.

Rahk

roosters93 said:
What do you mean? Like bluray region locking is just an arbitrary locking system while PAL and NTSC are two separate analog encoding systems with different resolutions?
Yes.

Yagharek

Registered OOT. Only thing was in the confirmation email it didnt list my state in the address. Just house number, street, postcode and suburb (and name).

Should be fine.

Danoss

Darklord said:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/28/why-is-european-broadband-faster-and-cheaper-blame-the-governme/

After watching the video in that link I wondered how the new NBN will compare to the rest of the world. The talk of Amsterdam's new network they are saying in a few years they'll have 1gigabit. How fast will we actually get?
Speed isn't a large concern of mine, instead I would like to have better download limits on offer. Someone I know in Brisbane is connected to the NBN and here's the plan he is on, which is the lowest it goes:

25Mbps down, I forget the upload amount, 60GB limit per month: $70 per month.

Sound like a good deal? Hell no! I'll take my current naked ADSL2+ where I'm 3.5Km from the exchange and get 150GB per month for $60 over that any day. The time will come where I don't have a choice and my wallet gets to be raped again so I can actually download things.

Top Bottom