• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Fusebox

Banned
codswallop said:
Rips of said content. ;) Also YouTube is HD now. I don't see why you'd willingly buy a device which is crippled, which IMO the Apple TV is.

720p is crippled now?

And Youtube doesn't have TV shows or movies.

Gazunta

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The big challenge will be training the wife to get off the Foxtel.

Anyway who wants some Google+ invites! PM me your address

Faffing about with Google+ as well. Not sure if it pulls content from around the place as soon as you add someone or what, but my stream already has some content...

Fusebox said:
720p is crippled now?
Well, maybe not "crippled", but why buy something that isn't full HD?

Choc

Banned
unblock.us is amazing

i watched the shit out of US shows last night and the latest Top Gear :D

anyone else seen it

lols maruader

Shaneus

Gazunta said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The big challenge will be training the wife to get off the Foxtel.

Anyway who wants some Google+ invites! PM me your address
Oh, hi there! (re: invites. I wouldn't just say "hi" for the hell of it ;) )

Instant Upload on Android is nice with Google+.

If Gaz ever runs out of invites, happy to step in (it seems like the invites are unlimited though, unlike with the original Gmail rollout).

Mar

Danoss said:
Oh, anyone going to Roger Waters' The Wall in their local capital? I jumped on tickets today, and am so pumped to see it in 8 months.

I'm all over it like choc on a dictionary.

Jintor

Anyone know how to take Blu ray screenshots? Following this guide but if anyone has a better idea I'd be happy to hear it

I need full resolution, so printscreen + paint isn't gonna cut it.

It's for print

legend166

cods, I'm basing my statement on this article, that dead man posted a couple of pages back (and started this whole discussion):

http://www.news.com.au/technology/c...ns-of-us-tv-free/story-fn8tnfhb-1226084045938

Particularly, this part:

NOTE: The legality of using VPNs to access international entertainment services is debatable - copyright campaigners will argue it's illegal, but under Australian parallel import law it's not.

A spokesperson for Attorney-General Robert McClelland told The Australian last week: "In relation to the use of VPNs by Australians to access services such as Hulu and Netflix, on the limited information provided there does not appear to be an infringement of copyright law in Australia."

However, using VPNs to access services from Hulu or Netflix definitely contradicts each companies terms of service, although like the conditions attached to iTunes, they aren't necessarily enforceable by law.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/technology/c...ee/story-fn8tnfhb-1226084045938#ixzz1QiyP7hRj

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Google+, Another social networking site I won't use. Ok maybe i will for a week then claim it's shit and close it, like facebook!

The game of thrones got super interesting at around the 500 page mark. I'm currently up to OH SHIT SPOILERS
Jon just killed what is presumed to be one of those dead blue eye guys, arya bailed the fuck out, sansa is a noob, the king is dead and eddard is fucked.

The book seems to have these oh shit moments then it dies off and it's just standard boring affair then oh shit moment again.

Dead Man

MrSerrels said:
If anyone wants to read my look into what exactly happened with the Ocarina of Time street break debacle it's up now.

The Retail Cold War: An Investigation Into The Strangest Street Break In Australian History
Good read, thanks.

“One thing is for sure, either Nintendo will try and close down the import route – they’ll be investigating the source of supply – or they will ensure Australian release dates on AAA products is in line with Europe.”
Nintendo could see this as a wake-up call for staggered release dates, finding a way to sell AAA video games at the same precise time in all regions. But, conversely, they could use this incident as an excuse to create an even more stringent region locking system on their consoles, forcing consumers to buy games later, at an increased cost.
Gee, I wonder which they will choose?

pardon my ignorance- the only gametraders I ever visited has long since closed-
how do they get their 'new' stock if they don't deal with publishers like Nintendo. Is it all from the UK?

Fredescu

Dead Man said:
Gee, I wonder which they will choose?
Hopefully the one least likely to get them fined by the ACCC. I don't read good. Still, I find it unlikely that they'll go to the expense of creating an Australia specific region. There'd have to be heaps of overhead involved in that, right?

Choc

Banned
'“One thing is for sure, either Nintendo will try and close down the import route'

-it is illegal for Nintendo to do this. They will never ever ever know where these are sourced. Its not from UK retailers, its from a supply chain within Asia, even though it is UK copies.

The reason, according to our source, was a stubborn sense of pride on the part of Nintendo. No one wanted to admit that a small retailer like GameTraders, via an interesting loophole, had exposed the notion of staggered release dates for the outdated, utterly pointless practice it has increasingly become.

QUOTED FOR FUCKING TRUTH. any other publisher would have pulled the trigger

“If they’re going to collude and make it difficult for us to survive in business they’ll be subject to fines. If a publisher decides to punish someone, and use their muscle and power to punish a retailer for selling imports, then they can be fined in a very big way. We’re talking multi-million dollar fines here.”

QUOTED FOR FUCKING TRUTH X 2

Nintendo is fucked. They just don't know it. The parallel import act means publishers can do sweet fuck all about this. I don't know why Nintendo and EB stirred up such a hornets nest over this.

FIFA was sold early last year by an importer. Once EA knew all stores had the game the trigger was pulled.

It's been going on forever and it will continue to do so.

Question is. Why doesn't EB parallel import on games that are hugely delayed., nothing to stop them doing so and they have done it before with Henry Hatsworth which EA did not release in Australia so I am puzzled over this whole thing.

The ocarina and investment from EB clearly was the straw that broke the camels back though

Also mark no comment on F3AR and Mercs breaks?

jambo

FallbackPants said:
I use internode but I don't use any other the extras. Well, except month to month billing without a contract. That's pretty sweet. I actually didn't even know i could get those radio stations. I'm going to check that out right now.

You don't use Usenet?

D=

MrSerrels

Choc said:
Also mark no comment on F3AR and Mercs breaks?

What's the point? You should see the answers to the questions I sent to EB - it's just hilarious. Learned my lesson to not waste my time with those guys. Seriously.

Also - you're right. The ACCC will come down on any attempt to 'punish' GameTraders. I'm sure there are other examples, but the one I found was Universal and Warner being fined $1m for attempting to hamper a CD retailer in 2001/2 for selling parallel imports.

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:
What's the point? You should see the answers to the questions I sent to EB - it's just hilarious. Learned my lesson to not waste my time with those guys. Seriously.

Also - you're right. The ACCC will come down on any attempt to 'punish' GameTraders. I'm sure there are other examples, but the one I found was Universal and Warner being fined $1m for attempting to hamper a CD retailer in 2001/2 for selling parallel imports.

maybe confirm with THQ and WB a break did occur? :)

Jintor

Begging for a Google+ invite

What do I need to send?

btw serrels I didn't need a preorder, I just walked into Hornsby and bought it.

Kritz

Banned
Yey, my $18 copy of Vanquish arrived.

Man, I was going so well completing games I'd purchased this year. Now I have Witcher 2, LA Noire, Infamous and Vanquish unfinished. :< Oh and Resistance 1 I guess. I dunno if I'll ever play that.

I don't know if I'll finish LA Noire, simply because Arson is just so gosh darn borning. Exactly the same motions as traffic, homocide and vice. It's a good game, but man, they really didn't need four desks. I'd prefer one or two desks with a nice gripping story over the disconnected but mechanically identical sections we were given.

MrSerrels

Jintor said:
Begging for a Google+ invite

What do I need to send?

btw serrels I didn't need a preorder, I just walked into Hornsby and bought it.

People were bending the shit out of Nintendo's 'rules' - JB's hand drawn sign on the front being the most hilarious!

I think Nintendo's quite about dealing with the retailers is interesting. They really have no leverage in this situation whatsoever. They got caught out, plain and simple, and they have to adapt and learn instead of being stubborn.

But this is Nintendo we're talking about here.

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:
People were bending the shit out of Nintendo's 'rules' - JB's hand drawn sign on the front being the most hilarious!

I think Nintendo's quite about dealing with the retailers is interesting. They really have no leverage in this situation whatsoever. They got caught out, plain and simple, and they have to adapt and learn instead of being stubborn.

But this is Nintendo we're talking about here.

don't worry mark nintendo will try and pull some shit with starfox and JB will probably parallel if it gets ridiculous

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
It's a great article Mark, hopefully something will come of it but if history is anything to go by nothing will change and things will keep getting swept under the rug. Release dates getting better? Yeah right.

Choc, I emailed THQ about the break and got nothing back. I have no reason to email WB as it's not a Nintendo game. Also, JB have also parallel imported Sin and Punishment 2 before, only problem is that wasn't classified so go pulled.

The whole situation is complete bullshit.

MrSerrels said:
If anyone wants to read my look into what exactly happened with the Ocarina of Time street break debacle it's up now.

The Retail Cold War: An Investigation Into The Strangest Street Break In Australian History

Great read.

jambo said:
You don't use Usenet?

D=

I remember trying to use it years ago, and just got super confused, felt like an old man not understanding technology and bailed. I probably should try again shouldn't i?

What's the general consensus on Google+? Worth checking out?

Danoss

jambo said:
I'll be going, but I didn't think tickets were on sale until next week =o

What city you seeing it in?
General public sales hit 11th July, but Visa and Michael Coppel pre-sales started today. I don't know if pre-sale ticket allocations are gone, but worth a look. The password "Coppel" gets you out of the $20 pre-sale wallet rape Visa wants to apply.

I'll be going to the Acer Arena show in Sydney. I picked up Gold tickets and was lucky enough to get seats in the very first row behind Platinum. Heh, one row back, save $100.

legend166

So does anyone remember before I went on my trip I was talking about getting my CCNA certificate?

I remember a couple of people on here said they'd be able to help me out with some resources and recommendations of what to study and what not. I can't remember who that was :(

Either way, does anyone have any recommendations? I studied all the material back at uni. I've got a good, established knowledge of it all, but because the actual study at uni was a couple of years ago, I'll probably have to go a bit deeper than a simple review to drudge it all up again.

I've still got my student access to the Cisco Networking Academy and have Packet Tracer installed on a couple of computers, so that will be good. I'd love a good overview book that I can read on my Kindle. I'll have to look at Amazon for that.

Omikron

If anyone wants a G+ invite, chuck us a PM with your email.

Actually, google is being a bitch and not sending. How dare google do that to someone that has been with gmail since forever :~(

Omikron

roosters93 said:
Google seems to have turned off sending invites. :/

Yah, it was certainly there, but they must have their quota for now. Similar to the intial Gmail beta that went out where they were drip feeding invites to people.

Gazunta

Yeah, just noticed that thirty seconds after I realised I hadn't sent the wife an invite yet.

>_>

<_<

Jintor, wouldn't your PC Blu Ray player software have a screencap function?

Jintor

The computer that has a Blu Ray drive inexplicably does not have software that can play Blu rays

I'm trying to figure out all this codec bullshit but it's hampered by me not understanding any of it

Omikron

Gazunta said:
Yeah, just noticed that thirty seconds after I realised I hadn't sent the wife an invite yet.

>_>

<_<

Jintor, wouldn't your PC Blu Ray player software have a screencap function?

Don't worry, I didn't either.....

:-/

Top Bottom