• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Gazunta

Shaneus said:
Can we create groups? Can we create... an AusGAF group?
AFAIK you don't make communal groups in the Facebook sense - but you can add people to a AusGAF circle that only you see - and you can then post things that ONLY go to that circle of people. Or you can post things that go out to everyone BUT the AusGaf circle. It's basically a filter on your end.

For example, I created a AusGAF circle that I added everyone I invited through this thread on. And a NeoGAF circle for people I know through regular NeoGAF. And one for people I know through webcomics, etc.

Omikron

I have 1 person on my social-ma-networky-thingy.

That isn't very social is it?

Edit: To me it seems like they are trying to find a way to use some of the ideas they had for Wave into something people *might* use. (plus also actually get people using Google Buzz).

Shaneus

Gazunta said:
AFAIK you don't make communal groups in the Facebook sense - but you can add people to a AusGAF circle that only you see - and you can then post things that ONLY go to that circle of people. Or you can post things that go out to everyone BUT the AusGaf circle. It's basically a filter on your end.

For example, I created a AusGAF circle that I added everyone I invited through this thread on. And a NeoGAF circle for people I know through regular NeoGAF. And one for people I know through webcomics, etc.
Ah, that's actually a good idea. I'm still trying to grasp the concept of the whole "circle" thing, but it makes sense that you create different personal groups of people so you can see their streams. In my case, I'd probably create one for AusGAF, one for another collective of forums I visit, one of IRL friends, another of work folks etc.

I think I like the way they've worked that. Can help you sort people out, too. Glad you can't see what circle you're in on the other end either. I had no idea I was in Gaz's AusGAF group. Means I can add people (to appear friendly) then add them to a circle I can completely ignore.

Gazunta

jambo said:
I only added Gaz as an "acquaintance" on Google+

:lol
But that's exactly what makes Plus such an interesting idea. Instead of feeling bad that I was spamming everyone on my list with, say, Presidog comics, I can just post to my Webcomics circle, thus preventing your feed from being filled with stuff you're not interested in without you having to put me on ignore or delete my contact.

Gazunta

Shaneus said:
I think I like the way they've worked that. Can help you sort people out, too. Glad you can't see what circle you're in on the other end either. I had no idea I was in Gaz's AusGAF group. Means I can add people (to appear friendly) then add them to a circle I can completely ignore.
Bingo.

Omikron

Being able to add a person to multi-circles is also an excellent feature. And kinda gets to the root of that being discussed above.

Shaneus

Not wanting to blow my own trumpet, but if it's taken me this long (admittedly, only around half an hour) it'll take non-techheads quite a while to grasp the concept, especially if they're not adding people as quickly as I am (at about 4 friends now).

Jintor said:
The computer that has a Blu Ray drive inexplicably does not have software that can play Blu rays

I'm trying to figure out all this codec bullshit but it's hampered by me not understanding any of it
Sorry, Jintor, but unless you are using something like PowerDVD (or similar), I'm not sure of any method beyond PrintScreen or using Clipping Tool. Then again, if you don't have any software that can play Blurays then you can't even PrintScreen, can you...

Sorry.

Jintor

Well I got it running and it looks fucking beautiful, but screen capture is outputting at traditional x1080 but I need something closer to a resolution at something like 3000? About that much? 300dpi at the least.

Dead Man

Shaneus said:
Not wanting to blow my own trumpet, but if it's taken me this long (admittedly, only around half an hour) it'll take non-techheads quite a while to grasp the concept, especially if they're not adding people as quickly as I am (at about 4 friends now).
I'll freely admit I am confused as hell reading the exchanges in this thread at the moment.

Gaz, thanks for the reminder. I just invited my wife to Google+. It seems there are a limited number of invites for each person, but you aren't told how many? I've invited two so far...

First AusGAFfers to PM me will get em I guess...

... or maybe not.

Vic Gundotra said:
We've shut down invite mechanism for the night. Insane demand. We need to do this carefully, and in a controlled way. Thank you all for your interest!
I'll give em if I can.

legend166

So reading all these posts from Americans who have absolutely no idea how to import a product from overseas (in this case, Xenoblade) is pretty funny.

It's like me when I was 11 trying to use tronix.

Jintor said:
Well I got it running and it looks fucking beautiful, but screen capture is outputting at traditional x1080 but I need something closer to a resolution at something like 3000? About that much? 300dpi at the least.
What are you using to play it?

Jintor said:
Media Player Classic with a shittonne of codecs plugged in (using... uh... anyDVD to decrpyt, I think?)
Using that setup you are going to be restricted by the Print Screen resolution. Unless your employer's pony up some cash they're not going to get good screen caps.

Tell them someone on the internet said they had to buy some proper software. The internet is never wrong. The internet never lies. The internet can authorize company expenditure.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
So reading all these posts from Americans who have absolutely no idea how to import a product from overseas (in this case, Xenoblade) is pretty funny.

It's like me when I was 11 trying to use tronix.

where

also i've been trying Office 365

Its pretty awesome

Jintor

I'd even take pixel-capping straight from the Blu Ray tv setup at this point. That might actually be large enough for print.

jambo said:
It is pretty expensive though, tickets start at $122 and go up to $400+ for Diamond.

Totally worth it though, I don't think any other concert will be able to top it after I go.

Yeah so expensive. And even more annoying I don't have a visa credit card :(

Jintor said:
I'd even take pixel-capping straight from the Blu Ray tv setup at this point. That might actually be large enough for print.
Your magazines have screencapped blu rays before. What have they used in the past?

Jintor

Yeah, but we haven't quite needed the resolution that this pic is demanding... and those were probably publisher provided.

Shaneus

Dead Man said:
I'll freely admit I am confused as hell reading the exchanges in this thread at the moment.
If it helps any, the "circles" everyone's talking about are essentially the groups you put people into on Google+. They come into play when you want to look at a news feed (so if I want, I can just view comments for people I know via forums) or when you want to post a status but only have it viewable as a particular group.

For example, Gaz has me in his AusGAF group and I have him in my Forum Folk group. If he posts something that's viewable to everyone (or just AusGAF) in his contacts, I'll be able to see it. I'll only see it, however, when I click on my FF group or view all my circles at once.

If that makes sense.

Choc said:
also i've been trying Office 365
Every student where I work is being migrated to Office 365 in the next couple of months. Moving all email off our servers and into the cloud. Because the head honcho likes "the cloud".

jambo

Jintor said:

but the source material is only 1920x1080 so anything larger wouldn't be 1:1

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
Every student where I work is being migrated to Office 365 in the next couple of months. Moving all email off our servers and into the cloud. Because the head honcho likes "the cloud".

and when the internet goes down and they cant do any work?

i like office 365 as a backup ;)

Choc said:
and when the internet goes down and they cant do any work?

i like office 365 as a backup ;)
Wasn't my decision and not what I would've necessarily recommended...

... but the Internet will never go down (we have a link into Vicnet and AARnet, so I assume all should be fine)!

Jintor

jambo said:

Okay so I clearly don't understand blu rays, but why does it look so clean and crisp on the TV rig and total shit on the PC screencaps?

jambo said:
Isn't source material technically only 1920x1080 if it is properly anamorphic? I'm pretty sure films at 2.35:1 are actually only 1920x460 or so otherwise.

... or are all Blu Ray transfers anamorphic?

Dead Man

Shaneus said:
If it helps any, the "circles" everyone's talking about are essentially the groups you put people into on Google+. They come into play when you want to look at a news feed (so if I want, I can just view comments for people I know via forums) or when you want to post a status but only have it viewable as a particular group.

For example, Gaz has me in his AusGAF group and I have him in my Forum Folk group. If he posts something that's viewable to everyone (or just AusGAF) in his contacts, I'll be able to see it. I'll only see it, however, when I click on my FF group or view all my circles at once.

If that makes sense.
Somewhat. I think I'll just have to play around with it.

Fusebox

Banned
Jintor said:
Okay so I clearly don't understand blu rays, but why does it look so clean and crisp on the TV rig and total shit on the PC screencaps?

BluRays have 1:1 pixel mapping on your HDTV. If your PC is 16:10 like most widescreen PCs it isn't 1:1 pixel mapping and you get a softening of the PQ.

jambo

codswallop said:
Isn't source material technically only 1920x1080 if it is properly anamorphic? I'm pretty sure films at 2.35:1 are actually only 1920x460 or so otherwise.

... or are all Blu Ray transfers anamorphic?

Well yes, technically most films are 1920 by a smaller number than 1080, but I was just trying not to confuse him.

And they might not look as good because you have bad codecs compared to a Blu-ray player.

I use CoreAVC for 1080P content.

Installing win7 on a clean WD 2Tb hdd. Seems windows update borked my upgrade a long time ago so parts of xp were muddling it up. Very irritating but new hdd so hey, all good. Also I've used fraps in the past to take screens of stuff playing through windows media player.

jambo said:
Well yes, technically most films are 1920 by a smaller number than 1080, but I was just trying not to confuse him.
I just wish they were all anamorphic with a setting that changed the shape of the pixels...

reptilescorpio said:
Installing win7 on a clean WD 2Tb hdd. Seems windows update borked my upgrade a long time ago so parts of xp were muddling it up. Very irritating but new hdd so hey, all good. Also I've used fraps in the past to take screens of stuff playing through windows media player.
Remember the advice you were given earlier. Create a 100GB (or maybe 500GB) partition for C: and then the rest for D:

Put all your applications and Windows on C: and your data on D:

Kritz

Banned
codswallop said:
Remember the advice you were given earlier. Create a 100GB (or maybe 500GB) partition for C: and then the rest for D:

what no don't do that

Make a 50GB partition for your OS, and then never touch the C drive again. (I give exception to GPU drivers and other OS-important data)

Go to your home directory. Move desktop / downloads / music / pictures / movies away from your C drive. They don't have to be put onto your D drive, but it's a good place to start. I have a 500GB hard drive for movies / music (my E drive), and everything else goes to the D drive.

If you REALLY wanted to, you could also move %appdata% and %localappdata%... buut that's more hassle than it's worth.

You now have an OS drive that hopefully won't get any shit in it slowing you down.

Fredescu

codswallop said:

This is kinda pointless really. Formatting to reinstall your OS is going way over the top. 80% of problems will be fixed by installing over the top, and what isn't fixed by that can be fixed by a new folder install. Technically formatting C: might be easier than doing a new folder install, but you're making simpler something you might have to do, by adding extra tasks that you will have to do: managing the free space of two volumes rather than one.

I was a phone monkey for Microsoft when Windows XP first came out and I've reinstalled that OS more times than I've had hot dinners. AMA.

Making two volumes is a hold over from the days when the OS would only install on a FAT16 volume, but hard drives were big enough to require FAT32. System builders sent out systems with a C: and a D: and tech support would tell people to format C: and it kinda stuck.

Fredescu

Kritz said:
Make a 50GB partition for your OS, and then never touch the C drive again. (I give exception to GPU drivers and other OS-important data)
Or don't partition any drive. What's the difference between a D: drive, and a folder on C:? Nothing other than by making a drive you've put arbitrary limits on growth. It's a waste of time and space.

Fredescu said:
What's the difference between a D: drive, and a folder on C:?
Also, D: is dismayed that you're using him. Look at him. A grumpy drive like that is much more suited to shitty optical drives. C: is so happy to see you. He's overjoyed.

Fredescu said:
This is kinda pointless really. Formatting to reinstall your OS is going way over the top. 80% of problems will be fixed by installing over the top, and what isn't fixed by that can be fixed by a new folder install.

Or don't partition any drive. What's the difference between a D: drive, and a folder on C:? Nothing other than by making a drive you've put arbitrary limits on growth. It's a waste of time and space.
True, but if you keep them separate you never have to worry about whether an in-place reinstall or over-the-top one.

Easier to blow it all away, but that's the ye olde Ghost-user in me.

Kritz said:
How's it any different if you only install applications onto the C: drive, as I suggested?

Fredescu

codswallop said:
True, but if you keep them separate you never have to worry about whether an in-place reinstall or over-the-top one.

Easier to blow it all away, but that's the ye olde Ghost-user in me.
It's not easier to blow it all away, you then have days of reconfiguring to do. If an install over the top works, chances are most of your applications still work too. If you're keeping a Ghost image of your C: for an easy reinstall, you either need to keep your image up to date all the time, or you have to same reconfiguring process to go through each time you re image. Both are a lot more work than an over the top install which as I said will work 80% of the time.

Hey what is that site with all the programs in a checklist to bulk download? Got my old drive plugged in but would prefer to clean install on the new HDD.

Upgraded to Win7 from XP and it seems like the clean install didn't go through smoothly. Probably because the HDD was already a few years old at that point. Seems like the partition wasn't correct and whenever Windows Update installed new stuff it would crack the shits after a shut down and think that XP was still installed. Running Startup Repair did the trick in the past but this time it was borked. Seemed like the o\motherboard couldn't see ANY of my hard drives. Even my Win7 disc couldn't see any OS installed until I swapped the drives around a bit.
Only drive I could get over 500Gb was a WD Green 2Tb so i've got that for my future media drive. Was originally running a 200Gb OS/Programs drive, 500Gb Music drive and 1Tb External media drive. Currently got the WD and the old OS drive plugged in so I can move over the desktop and My Documents files I want to keep then putting it aside from my parents to use (after cleaning the shit out of it of course).
Once I get a new PC I'll copy the stuff from the Music drive onto the WD and it can give up its place as OS drive.
Also I unplugged my External HDD during the process and startup wouldn't let me use the keyboard to select the boot device until I plugged all the USB cables back in. Of course I went out and bought a $14 wired keyboard before trying that. I'm a moron.

All my important stuff is backed up on disc or usb. Not too worried about losing my media as it has happened before in the past and was enjoyable to track down again.

And yes Fred, main drive is C: and DVD drive is D: ;)

Fredescu said:
It's not easier to blow it all away, you then have days of reconfiguring to do.
I'm coming from the angle of someone who's done desktop support, as opposed to a home user. Spending 3 hours solving a problem is more work than simply reimaging a machine from an SOE.

Fredescu

SOE management is obviously easier, as long as you're true to the S part. We're talking home PCs here. I'm sure you're not telling users to save their data to their local D: drives anyway. User data will be on file servers.

Jintor said:
Yeah, but we haven't quite needed the resolution that this pic is demanding... and those were probably publisher provided.

Who do you work for Jintor?

I haven't tried grabbing screen caps for years, but I would have thought it would have been an option on a BR specific program. Is there something you can grab a trial of just for this one time?

Top Bottom