• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

legend166

Eh, I wouldn't feel right going to a lot of trouble to get games gifted from Russia. The prices are so low there due to unique market conditions. It's not like an Australia/US situation.

Megadrive said:
Rocking ADSL1 here. :fistbump

edit unless you mean youre still pushing packets over 56k? :|

Can't even get that. Was on dialup until a year ago. Now tether my laptop to my phone on telstra 3g. I "get 2 bars of service" which still wipes the floor of 56k.

codswallop said:
AusGAFfers, I've sent some Google+ invites using a method which apparently gets around the disabled invites. If you've sent me a request, I've attempted to invite you. If you got it, great, if not, I guess we'll all have to wait a bit longer.

Worked. Thanks bud :)

Fusebox

Banned
Hey legend, thanks for the PS3 browser tip, I got Netflix going on it last night.

The PQ was slightly better than ATV but it isn't as superior to ATV as US internet posters suggested it would be, so I suspect the PQ I'm getting might be a limitation of my bandwidth now more than anything else.

5.1 is a nice improvement over ATV, but Netflix allocation of 5.1 soundtracks seems fairly random. 5.1 HD for Vanishing on 7th Street but not for Iron Man 2? Hmm...

Also the UI isn't as slick as it is on ATV, I couldn't find a way to search by genre but startup and streaming times seemed on par.

All in all though both devices are great ways to use Netflix, PS3 looks and sounds a little sweeter, whereas ATV is a little friendlier to use.

VOOK said:
So how do I get Netflix on my ATV with unblock-us.com, do I need a US iTunes account then?

I don't think so, mine is still logged in with my Australian account, but I think I had to set the iTunes store location to 'America' to get the Netflix link to show up on the main screen. Once I had that I just entered my Netflix login details. That combined with the 111.118.x.x DNS server entry from unblock-us should be enough.

kase23

codswallop said:
AusGAFfers, I've sent some Google+ invites using a method which apparently gets around the disabled invites. If you've sent me a request, I've attempted to invite you. If you got it, great, if not, I guess we'll all have to wait a bit longer.
Just signed up now, cheers man!

Omikron

My work nemesis' last day in the office today to be based overseas (still with the company though). Friday just got a whole lot better.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Find our what's wrong with this picture;

ebgames_ukgames.jpg

(story)

Choc already knows...

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Not Daily Deals

Stubbs the Zombie for $2.50 - Seems cool?
Bloodlines for $13 - Will wait until the last day in case of daily deal (lol)
Children of the Nile $3 for the pack - City building! Yay! Which I already own apparently...
Stubbs I seem to recall playing on the original Xbox a LONG time ago. I think it was alright.

BTW Do you know the first rule of Steam sales? Basically, you shouldn't by anything that isn't on the daily sale until the last day. Just letting you know :)

VOOK said:

ebgames_ukgames.jpg

(story)

Choc already knows...
Can't see at work, but can guess by the URL. At least your site is popular enough to be blocked by our proxy!

VOOK said:
Hey, it's the pegi.info sticker peeking out... but preowned? WTF?

Maybe they're buying them retail from EB UK, and that's why they're selling them here as preowned?

codswallop said:
Hey, it's the pegi.info sticker peeking out... but preowned? WTF?

Maybe they're buying them retail from EB UK, and that's why they're selling them here as preowned?
They probably put pre-owned to get around the fact that it isn't stock directly from the Australian supplier. As in they bought the game from overseas just like we would and then traded the game into the system.

reptilescorpio said:
They probably put pre-owned to get around the fact that it isn't stock directly from the Australian supplier. As in they bought the game from overseas just like we would and then traded the game into the system.
That's what I meant when I said they bought it retail. Otherwise, they should be able to sell whatever they want as new due to parallel import laws.

... and then, would they buy that stock back? If so, can we just print out some stickers and sell them our import games (for possible profit)?

codswallop said:
If so, can we just print out some stickers and sell them our import games (for possible profit)?
It is interesting that only a few months ago my local store refused to trade in my UK version games as they "didn't have the right classification on them". I knew that Asian ones hadn't been accepted for a while but I think it was just an unofficial position by the employee because they were annoyed at people buying the cheaper games overseas. I should go ask her if it is okay now since they are selling foreign copies, heh.

Shaneus said:
BTW Do you know the first rule of Steam sales? Basically, you shouldn't by anything that isn't on the daily sale until the last day. Just letting you know :)!
Oh I know. Just found those deals to be quite good. Doubt they will go cheaper than 75% off. Plus Bloodlines is NEVER on special. Have to be careful they don't drop the deal early too.

Dreamfall + The Longest Journey for $6. Madness. So good.

elfinke

I don't want to rat too much on a past employer, but a certain game place I worked at would import games from the UK and sell them with a greater profit than what the Aus publisher was selling them to us for. SFIV was one of the first games we did it with, and it was big deal at the time to make sure we had them stickered with the right barcode (SFIVUK or something it was) instead of the Aus sticker due to the difference in cost price.

Furher to that, a great many of the 'pre-owned' Wii games were in fact sealed shrink wrapped new UK titles.

So to find out that EB have been sprung now post the hilarious Zelda debacle is no great surprise.

Note: It wasn't Gametraders.

I was in the GAME Sydney City store (which doesn't exist any more) one time and they were unpacking a box of games.

All of the games were UK/PAL versions marked "Preowned" and were still shrink wrapped.

One of the staff mentioned that a lot of the preowned games they sell come from the UK and were brand new.

Thought it was odd at the time but yeh, seems like they all do it?

Shaneus

BanShunsaku said:
Stubbs the Zombie was fun, but more importantly it had a fucking awesome soundtrack:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B5QWJ2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
That might actually be enough for me to buy it.

BanShunsaku said:
I was in the GAME Sydney City store (which doesn't exist any more) one time and they were unpacking a box of games.

All of the games were UK/PAL versions marked "Preowned" and were still shrink wrapped.

One of the staff mentioned that a lot of the preowned games they sell come from the UK and were brand new.

I bought a brand new copy of Beyond Good & Evil for the Xbox that was stickered as preowned. Doubt they imported it (probably just stock from another store) but I always found it interesting.

Jintor said:
VTMB is $13 on Steam! BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY
Indeed. No chance of a daily sale so just grab it.

Also the Collectors Editions that EB are now pushing are laughable. BF3 is a steelbook, Dead Island is basic Turtle Beach headphones, Space Marine has a post card. At least RAGE comes with a boomerang and a poster. Even if it is a crappy poster.

Shaneus said:
That might actually be enough for me to buy it.

Pre warning though, it has been so long since I played it that I'm not sure if the songs were in the game itself, or if it was more of an "inspired by" time of deal.

Omi said:
Yeah, mutual dislike of each other combined with him liking to back stab me at first opportunity. ;)

No more iirc chat love from omi. :(

Make sure u give him a good send-off! i was trying to think of something ingenious you could do.....but alas i have no good ideas.

elfinke

BanShunsaku said:

See my post above.

You are correct.

Omikron

Marshmellow said:
No more iirc chat love from omi. :(

Make sure u give him a good send-off! i was trying to think of something ingenious you could do.....but alas i have no good ideas.

lol.... connecting. :p

As for ingenious pranks.... I avoid those now, people think I am just mean. :p

Gazunta said:
Bern married the Grand Canyon
ROUGH. Or do you mean he moved to the US?

Gazunta said:
Kotaku always get review copies, even though they don't post reviews.
http://funnywebcomic.com/comics/2011-02-08-Reviewer-07.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Oh man. That is funny. I really should have a look through your comic soon.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Guess I should just go back to copy and pasting press releases, lest risk pissing someone off with my new stories then ey?

Gazunta

Fuck that Vook, what are they gonna do, not send you stuff? Pffft

If you start a Presidog fan site I promise to give you hot exclusives

reptilescorpio said:
Oh man. That is funny. I really should have a look through your comic soon.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

elfinke

VOOK said:
Guess I should just go back to copy and pasting press releases, lest risk pissing someone off with my new stories then ey?

Nah, they'll get over it. You're merely showcasing what any eagle eyed shopper (and knowledgeable) can work out for themselves.

MrSerrels

VOOK said:

There's plenty of folks that do that out there. Might as well find your own niche by writing something worth reading!

Top Bottom