• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

legend166 said:
When I was a kid and we threw a water bomb at someone's house, if we saw any one coming we'd leg it as fast as we could and start crapping our pants. Stabbing them? Ugh. I can picture that exact group of kids, too. I guarantee one of them has a rats tail. GUARANTEE.
Yeah we got chased down by a guy after some roof rocking when i was young, he almost ran me over with his 4x4, Guy was huge too I was surprised no poop came out of me. I think the biggest thing here is why are kids walking around with knives in the first place I see signs in stores now where they have policy not to sell knives to under 18's I mean wtf.

jambo

Kerrby said:
Quote for new page.

pfft, 50 ppp noobs!

Salazar said:
Shattered Horizon single-player crash as soon as a map loads, fatal error, every goddamn time.

Wait, what? Shattered Horizon has a single player campaign now? This is relevant to my interests.

legend166

I've cooled on Netflix, to be honest. I don't think I'll subscribe.

The movie selection is waaaaay less exhaustive than I thought it would be.

Clipper

Choc said:
this proves we are fucking too soft in Australia

http://www.news.com.au/national/mum...ter-egging-prank/story-e6frfkvr-1226086795933

charged with manslaughter? are you fucking kidding me

When i did legal studies the definition of murder was if there was a severe possibility that by the actions of the defendant that the victim would die, it was murder

if you stab someone in the street, i'd say you know, thats murder if the person dies. Murder is intent, you had intent when stabbing them. Whether you wanted them to die or not is moot at that point.

fucking ridiculous
The crime only happened last night and they can't have details about exactly what happened yet. Can't they still charge him with murder at a later time once they actually have some facts to corroborate what occurred? There's no witnesses (apart from the teens) from what I can tell. Perhaps the charged teen said he drew the knife and she accidentally fell onto it or ran into the blade or something and they need to prove that's a lie before charging with murder can be justified.

Plus, it's a 14-year-old, so I think that makes it much harder to try him for murder, right? I'm not a lawyer and never did legal studies, so I'm sure I'm wrong in a few of these points, but I'd a least wait for more than a day after the crime has occurred before we start calling the situation ridiculous.

Jintor

It sort of depends. From my understanding, if there was no absolute intent to kill with the stabbing (and the requirements of proof here are pretty high) then a murder charge wouldn't succeed. I mean, this wasn't premediated, it looks like a heat of the moment kind of thing - we don't know the full circumstances, etc. If evidence is found later then it can be upgraded, yeah.

Salazar

jambo said:
Wait, what? Shattered Horizon has a single player campaign now? This is relevant to my interests.

Yeah, it's apparently quite good.

But as soon as a map loads, I get a black screen, music playing, and then a fatal error crash about memory.

shiwasu said:
I was sorting out accommodation for my trip to Tokyo ... Anybody know any good places I should hit up while I'm there, btw? ^^'
I don't have much of an answer, but I have pretty much the same question: What's good in Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka that I should see when travelling there in a couple of months?

I won't be in Tokyo when TGS is on. I just checked. :(

Any AusGAFer been to Korea? Have a few days there too. Planning on the DMZ, of course, and also Gyeongju.

Choc

Banned
Clipper said:
The crime only happened last night and they can't have details about exactly what happened yet. Can't they still charge him with murder at a later time once they actually have some facts to corroborate what occurred? There's no witnesses (apart from the teens) from what I can tell. Perhaps the charged teen said he drew the knife and she accidentally fell onto it or ran into the blade or something and they need to prove that's a lie before charging with murder can be justified.

Plus, it's a 14-year-old, so I think that makes it much harder to try him for murder, right? I'm not a lawyer and never did legal studies, so I'm sure I'm wrong in a few of these points, but I'd a least wait for more than a day after the crime has occurred before we start calling the situation ridiculous.

They could upgrade it yes, but you can also downgrade. Best to go with the highest charge and drop down. It's a lot harder to go up to murder than down to manslaughter as defence lawyers go bananas. Only time it generally escalates is if the person has not died yet, and then they do. That changes from GBH to Murder.

The age generally does not matter. Only thing that will happen is @ 18 his record will be wiped clean (which tbh for murder is disgraceful) and he won't be able to be named.

codswallop said:
I don't have much of an answer, but I have pretty much the same question: What's good in Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka that I should see when travelling there in a couple of months?

I won't be in Tokyo when TGS is on. I just checked. :(

Any AusGAFer been to Korea? Have a few days there too. Planning on the DMZ, of course, and also Gyeongju.

There is a ninja restaurant in tokyo. I've heard it's pretty pimp. But you have to book heaps in advance, and it's pricey. A mate went and said it was pretty cool.

Choc

Banned
Jintor said:
It sort of depends. From my understanding, if there was no absolute intent to kill with the stabbing (and the requirements of proof here are pretty high) then a murder charge wouldn't succeed. I mean, this wasn't premediated, it looks like a heat of the moment kind of thing - we don't know the full circumstances, etc. If evidence is found later then it can be upgraded, yeah.

Unless the law changed in the last 12 years since i did legal studies Jintor intent is not the only deciding factor

If there was a clear knowledge that you could kill someone with your action, it can be deemed murder. So basically if you knew that by stabbing someone you could kill them it is murder.

Manslaughter is for crimes where consequences are clearly unintended. Stabbing a woman is not clearly unintended.

'Ms Wilson said the woman had at least one stab wound to the upper body.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/egging-prank-ends-with-woman-dead-in-street-20110703-1gxa1.html#ixzz1R646CFGG'

Sorry, but if you go for the upper body you need to know it could easily kill someone. Murder all the way in my eyes.

FallbackPants said:
There is a ninja restaurant in tokyo. I've heard it's pretty pimp. But you have to book heaps in advance, and it's pricey. A mate went and said it was pretty cool.
Thanks, that looks pretty interesting. The wife, for some reason, wants to hit up a maid cafe, so this could be a good bit of revenge. Site here. http://www.ninjaakasaka.com

Gazunta

How about a Presidog one since it's the 4th of July?

I asked this on Twitter, but I'll ask here too - anyone that works in film / TV - how important is 4:3 to you guys? Like, is it always in the back of your mind when you're working on something, or is it more of a case of 'eh, too bad if it sucks for those guys'?

Anyone who still plays their games in 4:3 I'd like to hear what you think too.

Fredescu

fappenmeister said:
Fred, steam is running on the gal's pc, forgot to shut it down and she's using it right now. Tomorrow? Ga all I can hear is Dragonforce, kill me now.
No worries, we had a few games with Rahk and then a few with a random. Always got stuck on the doppleganger wave. If I can play today it probably won't be until 11:30 or so, unless the boy miraculously sleeps early.

Deeku

Choc said:
Unless the law changed in the last 12 years since i did legal studies Jintor intent is not the only deciding factor

If there was a clear knowledge that you could kill someone with your action, it can be deemed murder. So basically if you knew that by stabbing someone you could kill them it is murder.

Manslaughter is for crimes where consequences are clearly unintended. Stabbing a woman is not clearly unintended.

'Ms Wilson said the woman had at least one stab wound to the upper body.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/egging-prank-ends-with-woman-dead-in-street-20110703-1gxa1.html#ixzz1R646CFGG'

Sorry, but if you go for the upper body you need to know it could easily kill someone. Murder all the way in my eyes.
Yeah, but stabbing someone doesn't automatically mean you're trying to murder them. Grievously harm them, yes.

I don't really like law. I've only done some corporate law stuff but I reckon law in general is pretty shady. It's so easy to find loop holes with a smart lawyer.

Jintor

Choc said:

Eh, it's all down to circumstances. I agree they should probably have started from a murder charge and worked their way down, but assault =/= murder, automatically anyway.

Fogz

legend166 said:
I've cooled on Netflix, to be honest. I don't think I'll subscribe.

The movie selection is waaaaay less exhaustive than I thought it would be.

I could see the same thing happening to me at some point but for now I've just been watching old TV shows and bad movies like Toxic Avenger! :D

Gazunta said:

I asked this on Twitter, but I'll ask here too - anyone that works in film / TV - how important is 4:3 to you guys? Like, is it always in the back of your mind when you're working on something, or is it more of a case of 'eh, too bad if it sucks for those guys'?

For movies: Eh, don't really care. For games, I really do if the game doesn't scale with the ratio. (I'm looking at you Borderlands.)

Pixel Pete said:
Wow, my account has finally been validated.

Here I was, lurking in the Games that deserve the "Highlander 2" treatment (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436102) when I noticed a handful of people blatantly ignore the OPs request and get banned for it, when I thought "heh, maybe I'll get pushed to the top of the validation list.

:)
Welcome, I think the hardest thing about being on gaf is not saying something stupid until after you are no longer a junior.

Kerrby

Banned
3DS getting lay-by'd at the moment. It should be law if you buy something on ebay that you should have to pay right away. My AFL Live game sold for $71 last night and I need that money to get my 3DS haha.

Choc

Banned
Gazunta said:

for a childrens game i would think it very important gaz.

Clipper

On the 4:3 thing, I know that in my experience from helping people out with Wii Homebrew and stuff that a LOT of Wii owners have their Wiis connected to SDTVs with the standard cables still.

Kerrby said:
3DS getting lay-by'd at the moment. It should be law if you buy something on ebay that you should have to pay right away. My AFL Live game sold for $71 last night and I need that money to get my 3DS haha.
I bought something off eBay recently that required immediate payment. That sort of idea only works for Buy it Now-only, of course, as how can you force them to pay immediately when you have to wait until the auction ends to find out if and what you need to pay?

Kerrby

Banned
Clipper said:
I bought something off eBay recently that required immediate payment. That sort of idea only works for Buy it Now-only, of course, as how can you force them to pay immediately when you have to wait until the auction ends to find out if and what you need to pay?

I just mean if you're going to bid with 5 seconds left, you should know in that 5 seconds if you've won or not. I mean after the auction ends you should pay within the hour, not wait a few days and then pay (which has happened to me in the past) :p. I'm not complaining I just think that's how it should be done and I'm not saying it's going to happen but it leaves the seller on edge if they're going to end up buying it or decide they don't want it anymore.

Choc said:
wat

a new planet of the apes film?

It looks awful and has an awful name 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes'. James Franco, why did you say yes to this D:

pieatorium said:
Welcome, I think the hardest thing about being on gaf is not saying something stupid until after you are no longer a junior.

well tips are welcome of course. I guess I'm just liable to let a banned phrase or meme slip through, but I think I'll lie relatively neutral for a while.
That said, I've seen plenty of 'something stupid' while lurking.

BanShunsaku said:
I thought the trailer was decent.
Trailers usually have the cherrypicked bits to make you get hype, "eh it looked decent" isn't usually a good sign although there are plenty of films with awesome trailers that are not good.

Shaneus said:
So, Transformers 3 tomorrow night. I don't remember much of Transformers 2, though... should I rewatch?

No, no you shouldn't.

Edit: I'll summarise the movie for you: 2 and a half hours of grey metal rolling around the screen and a few explosions.

Shaneus said:
So, Transformers 3 tomorrow night. I don't remember much of Transformers 2, though... should I rewatch?
I don't think there's enough story there that there would be anything to remember. But I've only seen the first.

Shaneus

Bahaha, the responses are AMAZING.

This viewing should be memorable, though... if only because it's THREE-DEE EYEMAX! First time I've been to the Melbourne IMAX, too.

Omikron

Gazunta said:

Might be worth checking out if you haven't.... http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Interesting that 12% of people still use 1280x1024... (5% use 1024x758)

As for me, I develop apps, have to keep in mind that a typical minimum res for the business world is more than likely a god awful 1024x768. Woe is me.

Edit: Oh 10k posts. :p

Top Bottom