• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Omikron

@Gaz

1. Rollback any implemented Carbon Tax or similar type scheme. It just isn't required and is money down the drain.

2. Return the budget to surplus through shrewd budgetary cuts.

3. Re-open Nauru.

legend166

Omi said:
mmm Ubisoft situation.

or

Battlestar Gallactica on Amazon type deal.

It's more analogous to the latter.

The horse had already bolted with the Ubisoft one. People had downloaded games. What could they actually do?

I doubt Zavvi have actually shipped anything yet. They'll notice what went wrong and offer an apology/refund.

Omikron

legend166 said:
It's more analogous to the latter.

The horse had already bolted with the Ubisoft one. People had downloaded games. What could they actually do?

I doubt Zavvi have actually shipped anything yet. They'll notice what went wrong and offer an apology/refund.

Perhaps. Just have to wait and see :)

legend166

The best thing about the nuclear policy is this:

1) It's the right thing to do. Nuclear power is completely viable in Australia. It's clean and safe, and we already have our own uranium. It's a no brainer.

2) It gets rid of the entire carbon tax debate in one fell swoop. We won't need a carbon tax if we shift to nuclear power to get the reductions.

3) It'll make the Greens really, really angry. And that's always a fun thing to do.

Gazunta said:
Oh, head of lettuce. Good one Salazar.
Ahhhhh, Salazar was being way too clever for me. Nice one.

Also, I seemed to have ordered the LotR trilogy by accident. I had it all lined up and was making my decision, decided to press the Switch to AUD button to see the price and hit Place Order in AUD instead.

So... yeah.

Also, I snagged that Zavvi thing early this morning, even though I don't think it will be hornoured. It's got to be a type, right? If not, one of those bargain sites will have ruined it by buying 20 copies each.

Omikron

legend166 said:
The best thing about the nuclear policy is this:

1) It's the right thing to do. Nuclear power is completely viable in Australia. It's clean and safe, and we already have our own uranium. It's a no brainer..

While I understand peoples desires for nuclear as the be all and end all solution to power issues and carbon production. I have my doubts. Just check out the technologically advanced Germany recently shutting down a bunch of plants.

legend166

And a mass switch to renewable energy just isn't viable yet. The technology isn't there. We should use it where we can, but it's simply way too expensive.

I used to wonder why we hadn't done it, since a lot of people paint it out as something really simple to do. It just doesn't work yet.

Go nuclear!

legend166

Omi said:
While I understand peoples desires for nuclear as the be all and end all solution to power issues and carbon production. I have my doubts. Just check out the technologically advanced Germany recently shutting down a bunch of plants.

That was a decision based on the back of political cowardice and the result of ridiculous fear mongering.

I mean, Fukushima was basically the worst case scenario you're ever going to get. A 9.0 earthquake, followed by a tsunami hitting a 40 year old plant that was due to be decommissioned soon. And the death toll from the actual plant meltdown is 0. This dude says it better than me:

http://asiancorrespondent.com/53036/the-fukushima-death-toll/

Fred, I would live near one. If anything it will just help lower property prices, which is a good thing :D

trinest

Omi said:
Because they got piss scared for a possible melt down because of media pushing their own properganda down the publics throat?

Omikron

legend166 said:
That was a decision based on the back of political cowardice and the result of ridiculous fear mongering.

I mean, Fukushima was basically the worst case scenario you're ever going to get. A 9.0 earthquake, followed by a tsunami hitting a 40 year old plant that was due to be decommissioned soon. And the death toll from the actual plant meltdown is 0. This dude says it better than me:

http://asiancorrespondent.com/53036/the-fukushima-death-toll/

Fred, I would live near one. If anything it will just help lower property prices, which is a good thing :D

trinest said:
Because they got piss scared for a possible melt down because of media pushing their own properganda down the publics throat?

Mmm, Germany hasn't built a new since the 80s from memory either. Thats some long running fear mongering.

I am not saying that I am anti-nuclear btw, I am just concerned people think that it is some sort of silver bullet solution. Of which there is none.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
My three policies:

1) Heavy investment in nuclear power stations.
2) High speed rail connecting the eastern seaboard cities (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane).
3) Abolish negative gearing

AKA utopian society

i'd vote for you

negative gearing is a scourge on our society

hey legend,

My yr12 physics teacher (so don't kill me) told us that nuclear energy is expensive and isn't really environmentally friendly.

He said something along the lines that in the first 5-10 years of a nuclear power plant it requires regular coal production of electricity also to be sustainable (thus emitting radiation for 10 years) and then once it's up and running by itself it has a short lifespan and then the process starts over again.

Is there any fact in this? lol

Fredescu

legend166 said:
The people who own the property getting devalued by living near a planned powerplant construction won't agree with you. Just look at how much trouble they have getting a site for the second Sydney airport. Badgerys Creek is a wasteland, but people protested that until they were blue in the face. NIMBY is a powerful force in politics.

legend166

Fredescu said:
The people who own the property getting devalued by living near a planned powerplant construction won't agree with you. Just look at how much trouble they have getting a site for the second Sydney airport. Badgerys Creek is a wasteland, but people protested that until they were blue in the face. NIMBY is a powerful force in politics.

I thought we were talking about our dictatorship fantasies?

So basically, they'll like it or else.

Choc

Banned
The greens have had the balance of power for one day and they already seem like power tripping wankers.

The way BB is speaking on tv and the way they are going on is so annoying.

If they eff it up they will be decimated next election.

Omikron

Choc said:
The greens have had the balance of power for one day and they already seem like power tripping wankers.

The way BB is speaking on tv and the way they are going on is so annoying.

If they eff it up they will be decimated next election.

Considering they only hold the balance of power in the senate, I would be interesting to find out how they could fuck up so badly. ;)

Then again, I don't live in choc-ville :p

Choc

Banned
roosters93 said:
video hits and sports tonight have been axed. Interesting.

For someone whos father built his empire on taking sports and making them exclusive to his pay television realm, Lachlan really doesn't like sport does he.....

does not make sense. This i believe is probably in response to Murdochs fucking hissy fit that Channel 10 does not have the AFL anymore.

Kritz

Banned
So on Sunday I decided to learn how to program network applications in Java. Which also required learning how to multithread and create GUIs*.

All things considered, I think I did pretty well.

s9s89.png

I want to add a user list, and timestamps, and make the server side of it a little less clunky, but otherwise it totally works. If I can be bothered (I can't), I could even use this to make multiplayer text based games with. Or I could learn how to import graphics and make a little 2D adventure game (this would be very hard I imagine).

At the very least, I should be way ahead of what we get taught this semester at uni. :D

* I used Netbeans to make and place the GUI objects for me because I'm lazy.

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Considering they only hold the balance of power in the senate, I would be interesting to find out how they could fuck up so badly. ;)

Then again, I don't live in choc-ville :p

holding the balance of power in the senate is more powerful then the house of reps. They can block everything they don't like and force double dissolutions. Although JG would be to gutless to go to a DD right now

Omikron

Choc said:
holding the balance of power in the senate is more powerful then the house of reps. They can block everything they don't like and force double dissolutions. Although JG would be to gutless to go to a DD right now

And yet they have signed up not to block supply. They are smart enough not to do it either, even in spite, they know the political ramifications.

Gazunta

Personally I find it more interesting that they axed Video Hits. It's 3 or 4 hours of free content and advertising money.

Unless what they mean is they axed the actual Channel 10-generated content with the young people saying words like 'rad' and 'cool' to intro / outro each video clip, and instead they'll just be playing the video clips, which makes sense.

Rezbit

SMH Ten.

Also I love school holidays, I am watching the most random movies. Today Bram Stoker's Dracula is on. LOL at Keanu's accent. Also the scene where the chicks come out of the bed...what! Although Monica Bellucci :O

So there is a special refugee themed episode of Q&A on Thursday night after the screening of a documentary called Leaky Boat. This sounds fine. Then, there's the guestlist:

Chris Bowen, Minister for Immigration
Scott Morrison, Shadow Minister for Immigration and Citizenship
Sarah Hanson-Young, Australian Greens Senator
Najeeba Wazefadost, Afghan Refugee and Advocate
David Marr, Journalist and author of Dark Victory
Piers Akerman, Columnist for The Daily Telegraph

I kind of hate Q&A's mandate to have a balanced panel. I'd rather not have a dolt like Akerman voicing his bigoted opinions on TV about one of the most controversial issues in Australia. I don't really care for Scott Morrison either but I can live with him.

Omikron

Choc said:
sure. thats fine, but they can block everything else.

So they vote on things based on their particular policy positions they were voted in with. Theres something new for everyone I guess.

Jintor

roosters93 said:
So there is a special refugee themed episode of Q&A on Thursday night after the screening of a documentary called Leaky Boat. This sounds fine. Then, there's the guestlist:

Chris Bowen, Minister for Immigration
Scott Morrison, Shadow Minister for Immigration and Citizenship
Sarah Hanson-Young, Australian Greens Senator
Najeeba Wazefadost, Afghan Refugee and Advocate
David Marr, Journalist and author of Dark Victory
Piers Akerman, Columnist for The Daily Telegraph

I kind of hate Q&A's mandate to have a balanced panel. I'd rather not have a dolt like Akerman voicing his bigoted opinions on TV about one of the most controversial issues in Australia. I don't really care for Scott Morrison either but I can live with him.

Yeah, well, hopefully the rest of them will show him for the moron he is

Top Bottom