• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Choc

Banned
Rezbit said:
AFL is awesome! A game of agility and skill, not let's throw a ball sideways and run into each other.

AFL is a soft mans game. Well its been turned into one by Demetriou and his cronies

The sling tackle debacle is just stupid.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Choc said:
AFL is a soft mans game. Well its been turned into one by Demetriou and his cronies

And NRL is for dick gropers and finger-up-bum-pokers.

All works out.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
legend166 said:
Aussie rules is the best sport. Sorry guys, it's true.
I'm no super-fan, but given the rule-set I think it's far too long.

Clipper said:
What's being a junior got to do with anything? You have the same avatar rights as everyone else.

Really? I thought I set it up and it didn't work. I just assumed it was my lowly status.

Billy Moore incoming then

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
legend166 said:
Aussie rules is the best sport. Sorry guys, it's true.
If I lived in NSW I'd probably turn to AFL also.

Unless you don't live there and support the Swans for some other reason?

Shaneus

Yo AG, looks like Logitechshop are selling the G27 wheels ultra-cheap @$299. Not much point considering GT5 is shit and Forza 4 won't support it, but it seems like a decent price for a decent wheel.

http://groupbuy.ebay.com.au/

Watching question time. Oh god... its awful. It hasn't changed since the last time I watched it a few months back. Someone asks the PM a question, PM doesn't answer the question and instead responds with "Well first I'd like to say that I accept the science, the science of climate change. I accept that climate change is real, and that the economics are real. But we all know Tony Abbott is a cliiimate change denier". Seriously, she has been asked 3 questions so far and responded with the same retort every time. Watching question time makes me feel like I want to kill someone. :s

Fredescu

The Idle Thumbs archive is up and running again, so I'll probably be deleting what I have on Drop Box soon, in case anyone was still downloading from there.

Rezbit

Choc said:

I agree that the sling tackle shit is completely stupid.

Regarding the basketball and soccer comments, well the game does take a lot from both those sports. With basketball, it's not as limiting for short arses though, and you need a way bigger fitness level (basketball is one of my favourite sports anyway). Soccer, well it's good at times but really I find it a bit of a joke. Can't believe diving is still so prevalent and that people actually go "oh well, it's a part of the game now." It's like grunting in tennis, who the fuck actually wants to listen to that? It's cheating. They say it can't be stopped, but of course it can. Both diving and grunting can by fixed by offering substantial fines or removing points. Even if it is in retrospect. Neither sports seem to want to do anything about it.

Anyway that's a bit of a sports rant for you.

Fredescu

Diving tends to get blown way out of proportion by people who never watch games unless the socceroos are playing. International soccer is invariably shit. The English Premier League tends to be the best for speed and physicality, and while diving still happens there, I don't think it's any more prevalent than milking penalties in Union/League.

Choc

Banned
I agree that Sharapova grunting the way she does is a cheating tactic. It's beyond ridiculous the noise she makes. Same with Serena

Grunting is ok, grunting to excess like you are having an orgasm each time you hit the ball is not

MrSerrels

Rezbit said:

Regarding the basketball and soccer comments, well the game does take a lot from both those sports. With basketball, it's not as limiting for short arses though, and you need a way bigger fitness level (basketball is one of my favourite sports anyway). Soccer, well it's good at times but really I find it a bit of a joke. Can't believe diving is still so prevalent and that people actually go "oh well, it's a part of the game now." It's like grunting in tennis, who the fuck actually wants to listen to that? It's cheating. They say it can't be stopped, but of course it can. Both diving and grunting can by fixed by offering substantial fines or removing points. Even if it is in retrospect. Neither sports seem to want to do anything about it.

One of the reasons I love soccer is the fact that, within reason, body shape is irrelevant - your success in the support is purely determined by technique and skill.

The best player in the world right now is a glorified dwarf that closely resembles Dudley Moore. And the best player before him was a lanky six footer who looked like a monk and enjoyed head butting people.

Success in the sport is more than physical - you very rarely see basketball players under 6foot, and most rugby and AFL players are built like tanks. Football has so much variety and the main distinguishing factor is skill.

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:
One of the reasons I love soccer is the fact that, within reason, body shape is irrelevant - your success in the support is purely determined by technique and skill.

The best player in the world right now is a glorified dwarf that closely resembles Dudley Moore. And the best player before him was a lanky six footer who looked like a monk and enjoyed head butting people.

Success in the sport is more than physical - you very rarely see basketball players under 6foot, and most rugby and AFL players are built like tanks. Football has so much variety and the main distinguishing factor is skill.

Peter Crouch is a fantastic example of this as well.

A very tall lanky guy that would get totally smashed and break his neck in rugby etc, but football manages to be a full professional player.

YOU OF ALL PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW ITS CALLED FOOTBALL SERRELS. I AM DISAPPOINT.

Rezbit

Yes, pretty much what Choc said. Obviously a physical exertion of air is fine. I have no problem with a player hitting a cracker and going UH. But this AAaaaAAAAHHHHHH is fucking ridiculous. I mean this should be good to watch....but come on.

Regarding soccer yeah you're right with the skills thing. I actually quite like watching soccer when it's really good, with a couple of really skillful teams. Last year when I was travelling I saw a few Chelsea games on TV when they were killing it. Pretty good to watch.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
Peter Crouch is a fantastic example of this as well.

A very tall lanky guy that would get totally smashed and break his neck in rugby etc, but football manages to be a full professional player.

YOU OF ALL PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW ITS CALLED FOOTBALL SERRELS. I AM DISAPPOINT.

Soccerball.

legend166

Grunting in tennis is terrible. Can't stand it.

Also, I agree with rezbit so much about basketball. I like basketball a lot. I might even be playing with my brother in a comp over summer (he's much better than I am). But any great enthusiasm is dampened by remembering that I'm only 6 foot so am immediately disadvantages. That's why I like Aussie rules. Positions for all body types.

Edit: Oh, you guys were saying this about soccer. I agree, it's in soccer too.

soccer

soccer

soccersoccer
soccersoccer

Rezbit said:

What I don't get about AFL, is how these guys can't pick a ball up off the ground cleanly. I mean these are some amazing athletes, with some crazy skills, but as soon as a ball is rolling on the ground it's like watching a bunch of preschooler. They just fall over each other in a giant huddle.

jambo

It can be some what difficult to just grab the ball off the ground when there are a few opposition players with the same idea.

Fredescu

Technically the little skillful guys playing at halfback and hooker in league can make the biggest difference to a game, but when you allow teams to replace one huge tired forward with a fresh one from the bench, it tips the scales in favour of the big guys. Fewer little guys enter the sport because they just get smashed.

Reduce interchanges down to two per game, and base the junior leagues on weight rather than age, and you'll see the little guy make a return in league.

One of the things I like about league is the multitude of body types that make up a team. The biggest barnstormers as props, the big tall guys with plenty of defensive stamina at second row, a bigger than average guy with better than average ball playing ability at lock, a smaller guy who is equally at home running the ball as playmaking at 5/8, fast agile skilful small guys at half back and hooker, fast guys at center and wing, tall fast guy at fullback.

legend166

FallbackPants said:
What I don't get about AFL, is how these guys can't pick a ball up off the ground cleanly. I mean these are some amazing athletes, with some crazy skills, but as soon as a ball is rolling on the ground it's like watching a bunch of preschooler. They just fall over each other in a giant huddle.

Genuine question: have you played/kicked around with an Aussie rules ball?

Choc

Banned
fred next year they are doing weight instead of age groups for junior rugby league

to many small kids were getting hammered and parents saying fuck this.

Some of the best League players are quite small Bowen, Campbell etc and there have been a few tall lanky guys though generally they tend to buff up once they hit the top grades because it just works better.

Fredescu

Choc said:
fred next year they are doing weight instead of age groups for junior rugby league

I knew it was in planning, I just wasn't sure when it was coming in.

Dead Man

MrSerrels said:

While body shape may be less important, it doesn't mean any dick can go get good at the game, you still need to have the right genetics for the game. No different to any other sport, it is just different areas that become important.

I'm always completely and utterly befuddled by the derping over "soccer". Isn't it an entirely legitimate name for the sport derived from "association football"? Always seemed the same as getting your panties in a bunch over someone using the term "footy" to me.

Choc said:

Cool, any link to how its set up/what age they stop doing it? I remeber back in the day playing against guys that were 100kg+ at 16 and getting hammered.

Choc

Banned
Box of Bunnies said:
I'm always completely and utterly befuddled by the derping over "soccer". Isn't it an entirely legitimate name for the sport derived from "association football"? Always seemed the same as getting your panties in a bunch over someone using the term "footy" to me.

i don't mind people calling it soccer, but he is from Scotland, i mean come on. If we can't rely on scots and englishman to try and get us the name changed we can rely on no one! :D

also

it's always puzzled me

In soccer you kick a ball continuously with your feet and its against the rules bar the goalie to handle it. So...... football

in AFL/Rugby/League you run around with it and kick it every so often. Well fair enough AFL you kick it a lot, it can be called football

But rugby and league, what....

should be called handball really :D

Gazunta

I'm always completely and utterly befuddled by the derping over "shnitty". Isn't it an entirely legitimate name for the food derived from "schnitzel"? Always seemed the same as getting your panties in a bunch over someone using the term "footy" to me.

In other news, this thread needs more Bern, Agyar and Mar :(

Rezbit

Also, as much as I love cricket, this new Big Bash League seems utterly redundant and reeks of cheapness. I have not seen shitter team names since the 90s teams that came in and out of the NBL. Brisbane Heat? Perth Scorchers? Melbourne Stars? Hobart Hurricanes? WTF is this shit?

Choc said:
i don't mind people calling it soccer, but he is from Scotland, i mean come on. If we can't rely on scots and englishman to try and get us the name changed we can rely on no one! :D

also

it's always puzzled me

In soccer you kick a ball continuously with your feet and its against the rules bar the goalie to handle it. So...... football

in AFL/Rugby/League you run around with it and kick it every so often. Well fair enough AFL you kick it a lot, it can be called football

But rugby and league, what....

should be called handball really :D
Union kicks it alot more than League but for Union and then League since they were offshoots of Football they took the name with them.

Rahk

Fredescu said:
The Idle Thumbs archive is up and running again, so I'll probably be deleting what I have on Drop Box soon, in case anyone was still downloading from there.
I decided to start re-listening to it the other day, so I guess it was a good time to do so.

Top Bottom