• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Rezbit said:
Also, as much as I love cricket, this new Big Bash League seems utterly redundant and reeks of cheapness. I have not seen shitter team names since the 90s teams that came in and out of the NBL. Brisbane Heat? Perth Scorchers? Melbourne Stars? Hobart Hurricanes? WTF is this shit?
Still better than the IPL team names

Choc

Banned
While we are on the topic of sport. Many of you would be aware of Elyse Perry, a girl who hails from the North Shore of Sydney and overall really pisses me off when she is on TV, i don't know why,

Anyway she plays both Football (Soccer) and Cricket for Australia.

In the modern era could a man ever be in a position and skillful enough to do this? or are the womens games just not as evolved and not as much competition to find stars? Keeping in mind the sports are significantly different. Not liek switching from rugby to league etc.

The reason i ask this is i know a lot of skilled football players who play state soccer that also excel in another sport. But this only happens with girls

in the mens, they couldn't kick an AFL ball etc to save their life.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
While we are on the topic of sport. Many of you would be aware of Elyse Perry, a girl who hails from the North Shore of Sydney and overall really pisses me off when she is on TV, i don't know why,

In the modern era could a man ever be in a position and skillful enough to do this? or are the womens games just not as evolved and not as much competition to find stars? Keeping in mind the sports are significantly different. Not liek switching from rugby to league etc.

The reason i ask this is i know a lot of skilled football players who play state soccer that also excel in another sport. But this only happens with girls

In Scotland Andy Goram, arguably one of the greatest goalkeepers of his generation, played Cricket at an international level. But Scotland is balls to the wall shit at Cricket, so that's probably the only reason.

legend166

Rezbit said:
Also, as much as I love cricket, this new Big Bash League seems utterly redundant and reeks of cheapness. I have not seen shitter team names since the 90s teams that came in and out of the NBL. Brisbane Heat? Perth Scorchers? Melbourne Stars? Hobart Hurricanes? WTF is this shit?

My 'team' (well, not really. I think the whole thing is stupid. But the team that is based out of the SCG) is called the Sydney Sixers and wears an all pink outfit.

._.

Rezbit

pieatorium said:
Still better than the IPL team names

Lol yes some of these are pretty bad. Mumbai Indians...be like naming a team the Melbourne Australians.

Although Knight Riders kicks arse!

Haha Legend. I guess I have to choose between 2 of the Melbourne teams and Hobart.

Also Choc, I guess it's really got to do with the guys stuff being professional. Lots of teenagers are REALLY good at different sports. I've heard a couple of cases of teenagers who have to pick to go into the AFL draft or stay with cricket. General athleticism always helps I guess.

Michael Jordan switched from Basketball to Baseball back to Basketball in the 90s, he wasn't much chop at baseball iirc but he was pro level.

Choc said:
If we can't rely on scots and englishman to try and get us the name changed we can rely on no one! :D

But it's a term that originates in the UK and was used there for decades. Why does it need to change? Is it because baseball is just baseball, cricket is just cricket etc. so football should just be football? I kinda get that I guess.

Gazunta said:
"shnitty".

Touché.

legend166

Choc said:

The more professional a sport becomes, the less chance this happens. Because you've got to spend more time focusing on the one sport to get really good at it.

I know there are heaps of very, very talented cricketers who went into the AFL instead because they were more assured of getting a gig (around 700 players getting an average of $230k instead of 25 central contracted players and around 75 with state contracts, on much less). Jonathon Brown was a promising young quick bowler. Jimmy Bartel played for the Victorian under 17 side.

On the other side, Warnie tried out for St Kilda and played with their reserves.

Adam Goodes was a very promising soccer player as a junior apparently. I know the Waugh brothers played state soccer.

Kids these days eventually just have to chose a sport at around 16 if they intend to go professional.

legend166 said:
Genuine question: have you played/kicked around with an Aussie rules ball?

I played like once at school. Very little though, I probably played in one tournament and I would have been about 13/14? I remember being terrible at it.

I've kicked around with an AFL ball with mates a number of times. but for the life of me can't remember what the ball is like. I remember it was lighter and had some crazy flight. They're smoother (and thus harder to pick up) than a league or union ball yeah?

jambo said:
It can be some what difficult to just grab the ball off the ground when there are a few opposition players with the same idea.
Totally, but that kind of scramble can happen in union in a messy ruck too, and it rarely seems to get as ridiculous. Sure, it's against the rules to use your hands in a ruck but it's done all the fucking time.

On the BBL, I was super keen for proper franchised cricket, but god it seems dumb at the moment. Shit team names, shit colours, and now they're signing players and no one could give a shit. You've messed this one right up CA

Choc said:
In the modern era most men's sport make it financially irrelevant to have to try and play multiple ones.

From what I understand, not many women get to play a sport and not have to work in order to make ends meet.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
My 'team' (well, not really. I think the whole thing is stupid. But the team that is based out of the SCG) is called the Sydney Sixers and wears an all pink outfit.

._.

:lol

no fucking way?

legend166

Box of Bunnies said:
But it's a term that originates in the UK and was used there for decades. Why does it need to change? Is it because baseball is just baseball, cricket is just cricket etc. so football should just be football? I kinda get that I guess.

Touché.

The people that can't handle others calling it 'soccer' are usually the chip on the shoulder types like Craig 'Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffooooooooooooooooooooooooooozzzzzzzzzziiiieeee' Foster (Roy and HG reference!) who just can't handle that soccer isn't the number 1 sport in Australia, and seem to think acting like complete knobs with a superiority complex will somehow get it there. Like you said though, it's really not a big deal. It's as if there are no other regional differences in language or something.

Besides, if we really want to get technical, Australian Football was codified before the others, so it gets first use of the term 'football' ;)

bodyboarder said:
To keep in line with all the sports talk. I got tickets to the reds final saturday night, can't wait :)
You're a son of a bitch. I'm amazingly jealous.

Choc said:

I could be wrong but didn't Andrew Symonds consider trying out for the Broncos during one of the many hiccups in his career? Or maybe he was just training with them during the off season.

FallbackPants said:
I could be wrong but didn't Andrew Symonds consider trying out for the Broncos during one of the many hiccups in his career? Or maybe he was just training with them during the off season.
Doesn't sound like Symonds to me heh

Rezbit

endlessflood said:
You might not enjoy Rugby League or Rugby Union, but to say they're devoid of agility and skill seems pretty silly to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF224oTh1Jw

I think it's pretty clear that there was some cross-code trolling occurring! I can honestly appreciate the talent involved in most sports, I mean shit it's not like I could come close to doing ANY of them. I'm just a product of my environment (Tasmania) in that I don't even understand what is happening in a game of Union.

Choc

Banned
Symonds close to switching to Broncos
By Alex Brown
January 13, 2005
Page Tools

Depressed and disillusioned, Andrew Symonds almost abandoned cricket for a chance at representing the Brisbane Broncos just before the 2003 World Cup.

how about that

Fun fact

Out of all the people who attempt to become a Rugby referee (not league), only 21% pass the initial theory exam on the laws of the game

It's regarded as the most complex sport in the world with regards to rules.

FWIW with Football its about 80%. Most of the laws in football are dead set common sense.

Rugby on the other hand isc razy.

legend166

FallbackPants said:
I played like once at school. Very little though, I probably played in one tournament and I would have been about 13/14? I remember being terrible at it.

I've kicked around with an AFL ball with mates a number of times. but for the life of me can't remember what the ball is like. I remember it was lighter and had some crazy flight. They're smoother (and thus harder to pick up) than a league or union ball yeah?

Yeah, it's got no grip and is shaped in a way that makes the bounce very difficult to predict. Besides, how often do you have to pick up a league or union ball at anywhere near full pace? If the ball is on the ground in league someone has either kicked it or there has been a knock on. It's hard to compare.

It's only got crazy flight if you can't kick it properly :p Which brings me to another question of why more NRL players don't kick drop punts. I know Lockyer does (something I remember reading he learnt training with the Lions) and I've seen the Storm players do it (which makes sense). It would make 40/20s much, much easier.

Shaneus

Gazunta said:
I'm always completely and utterly befuddled by the derping over "shnitty". Isn't it an entirely legitimate name for the food derived from "schnitzel"? Always seemed the same as getting your panties in a bunch over someone using the term "footy" to me.
It's just a pet peeve that jambo seems to bandy about when he can't win an argument against me ;)

TBH, I'm just incredibly finicky with words, language and spelling in general. I hate "crackling" (it's crackle), "toasties" (it's toasted sandwich or toasted sanger) and there are a few others that escape me.

legend166 said:
Yeah, it's got no grip and is shaped in a way that makes the bounce very difficult to predict. Besides, how often do you have to pick up a league or union ball at anywhere near full pace? If the ball is on the ground in league someone has either kicked it or there has been a knock on. It's hard to compare.

It's only got crazy flight if you can't kick it properly :p Which brings me to another question of why more NRL players don't kick drop punts. I know Lockyer does (something I remember reading he learnt training with the Lions) and I've seen the Storm players do it (which makes sense). It would make 40/20s much, much easier.
At Fullback you have to deal with a dribbling ball quiite often, as for the drop punt I'm not really sure I guess it's just a preference/what they're used to thing.

Choc

Banned
Shaneus said:
It's just a pet peeve that jambo seems to bandy about when he can't win an argument against me ;)

TBH, I'm just incredibly finicky with words, language and spelling in general. I hate "crackling" (it's crackle), "toasties" (it's toasted sandwich or toasted sanger) and there are a few others that escape me.

Never go to Tullamarine airport if you don't like toasties

tehre is a shop which only sells those lols

jambo

Shaneus said:

I'm totes having some toasties for dindins tonight, brill!

MrSerrels

Also - I'll hear no ill words spoke about Fozzie. Dude is the only decent thing about any SBS soccerball coverage. The man does know his shit.

The other dudes on there, however, know jack shit.

Shaneus

It's just the words I hate. The actual item is fine. Fucking love toasted sandwiches... especially with chicken and stuffing.

Fredescu

Shaneus said:
I hate "crackling" (it's crackle)
It isn't you know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crackling

"Cracklings (American) or crackling (British) is a crisp, deep fried food that may be made from various animals. Pork rind cracklings are popular in the American south."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crackle

"Crackle (formerly known as Grouper) is a digital network and studio, featuring commercially-supported streaming video content in Flash Video format."

legend166

pieatorium said:
At Fullback you have to deal with a dribbling ball quiite often, as for the drop punt I'm not really sure I guess it's just a preference/what they're used to thing.

Yeah, but I mean, the full back is usually stationary and has a very clear idea of where the opposition is going to be coming from. There's no chance of someone coming up from behind and tackling him, haha.

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:
Also - I'll hear no ill words spoke about Fozzie. Dude is the only decent thing about any SBS soccerball coverage. The man does know his shit.

The other dudes on there, however, know jack shit.

Ned Zelic being a great example of a twat who has no idea and David Zrillic.

Both has been socceroos who did fuck all for their countries compared to Kewell, Viduka, Schwarzer, Fozzie, Bosnich, Slater etc

Fredescu

Fusebox said:
It's "crackling", but that's such a 90's internet argument...
I've never even heard it debated, and I was arguing on the internet in the 90s. I've heard all the bland regional stuff like fritz vs devon and who is the best Star Trek captain. Not that one though.

Dead Man

Choc said:

Not Australian, but Bo Jackson made a fair efort of it in the 80's and 90's.

In football, he played running back for the Los Angeles Raiders of the National Football League. In baseball, he played left field and designated hitter for the Kansas City Royals, the Chicago White Sox, and the California Angels of the American League in Major League Baseball. While at Auburn University, he won the 1985 Heisman Trophy, the prize annually awarded to the most outstanding collegiate football player in the United States. He also ran a 40-yard (37 m) dash in a blistering 4.12 seconds (hand-timed), which is still the fastest verifiable 40-yard (37 m) dash time ever recorded at any NFL Combine. A hip injury severely impaired his professional baseball career, and ended his NFL career.

Shaneus

Fredescu said:
It isn't you know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crackling

"Cracklings (American) or crackling (British) is a crisp, deep fried food that may be made from various animals. Pork rind cracklings are popular in the American south."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crackle

"Crackle (formerly known as Grouper) is a digital network and studio, featuring commercially-supported streaming video content in Flash Video format."
IT IS TO ME, DAMNIT.

legend166 said:
Yeah, but I mean, the full back is usually stationary and has a very clear idea of where the opposition is going to be coming from. There's no chance of someone coming up from behind and tackling him, haha.
you gotta keep moving to follow the ball/where the ball is going which is alot harder than it sounds especially when the opposition is in your own 20. I don't often watch AFL but generally the threat of being tackled with the ball is what i think makes it so unruly once it hits the ground in traffic, noone wants to pick it up incase they get trapped with it and give away a free kick.

Choc

Banned
while talking football

I've been appointed to referee a match where one of the managers is Paul Wade.

*star struck*

if you say who is paul wade

*shakes fist @ cloud*

Top Bottom